Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think it's trying to be intelligent from what i've seen, it's mainly just concerned with aesthetics and throwing in a bunch of weird setpieces interspersed with notes and odd fetch quests or the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think it's trying to be intelligent from what i've seen, it's mainly just concerned with aesthetics and throwing in a bunch of weird setpieces interspersed with notes and odd fetch quests or the like

Yeah, watching John Wolfe playing it, it really just looks like a super generic indie horror game, just with a fancy lick of paint.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fancy paint that is applied using a cock as a brush.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's my fetish

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'd bet money that Agony is one of Those Games that thinks it's a lot more intelligent than it really is and it'll release and be completely mediocre and bland and vapid. Also, what with how much succubus tiddy we have seen so far, there better be a SHITLOAD of big swingin demon dick to even it out. I want equality in my depraved hellbeast naughty bits, dammit.

I watched a John Wolfe stream of it and there was lots of roaming around very oversaturated environments collecting hard-to-see pictograms and hearts to open vague Hexen-esque puzzle doors. Didn't seem like my kind of thing.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
In the first two hours he had to collect eight skulls and four hearts

That's too much corpse parts for a puzzle to still be creepy

Threes a crowd, 4-8 is too many drat corpses

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Other than overt tits and dicks and a whole lotta architectural gore Agony's biggest issue is, well, it's seems kinda boring. It's all a sea of red after a while (queue Wolfe's "red means scary!") and with some of the difficulty in looking for collectibles I'd probably quit out of disinterest. Plus I'm still not convinced the story is going to end up deeply misogynistic in some fashion (or will attempt to demonstrate how the player's assumed misogyny feeds into the portrayal of sex in the game and miss the point completely) given the primary antagonist.

On a whole other branch of the horror spectrum, I'm glad to see Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning make it's way around the YouTube circuit. More of a luck-based school anxiety simulator than outright horror, it was an entry in a "metagame" jam: make a game about games. The gameplay is based in Slender, SCP, FNaF, etc in that characters have certain rules and your goal is to escape. Made in two weeks, it took second place and is getting massive attention. I'd suggest check out John Wolfe's playthrough (the first I saw) especially since the big moment of the game relies on allowing the game to actually talk - too many LPs will blast right through dialog and ruin the impact.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Agony seem like Outlast 2 mixed with Doom's hell levels in terms of design. Yes it's very red, but you can't use corpses for everything. You can build a lovely credenza out of corpses but it is going to he horrifically tacky

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 30, 2018

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
My favourite area in agony is the forest because it shows you the vistas of hell and all its towers and poo poo and it looks gorgeous/biblical. Then you drop down a hole back into deadbabies-ville.

I don't hate the game yet but I'm struggling to find a reason to keep going. The only thing keeping me going is that the game looks loving beautiful and has an art style I haven't really seen since that dantes inferno game. All in all it's just a really boring game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

I don't hate the game yet but I'm struggling to find a reason to keep going. The only thing keeping me going is that the game looks loving beautiful and has an art style I haven't really seen since that dantes inferno game. All in all it's just a really boring game.

Even as a dyed-in-the-wool horror fan and somebody who enjoyed Dante's Inferno, I feel like it's art style isn't something you should really strive for. The level of quality, sure. But Inferno felt comically over the top in an unintentional way, to me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Even as a dyed-in-the-wool horror fan and somebody who enjoyed Dante's Inferno, I feel like it's art style isn't something you should really strive for. The level of quality, sure. But Inferno felt comically over the top in an unintentional way, to me.

I dunno, its hard to call it unintentionally over the top when the MC had a cross stitched into his flesh

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Red Mundus posted:

My favourite area in agony is the forest because it shows you the vistas of hell and all its towers and poo poo and it looks gorgeous/biblical. Then you drop down a hole back into deadbabies-ville.

Yeah the best parts of the game, at least visually, are when you can look across the horizon at the unfathomable scope of hell. Massive structures, creatures, things that just aren't possible but in a place designed for torment. If this was a AAA title or something there'd be huge sections of the game with things like that as a backdrop, as opposed to mostly just taking place in dark gore tunnels indistinguishable from one another.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Morpheus posted:

Yeah the best parts of the game, at least visually, are when you can look across the horizon at the unfathomable scope of hell. Massive structures, creatures, things that just aren't possible but in a place designed for torment. If this was a AAA title or something there'd be huge sections of the game with things like that as a backdrop, as opposed to mostly just taking place in dark gore tunnels indistinguishable from one another.

Honestly, this game would be better as a walking simulator. The forced stealth is just terrible. I want to see the rest of the game but I don't know if I can be assed to do so.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Tangentially related, Dante's Inferno was an embarrassing trash game. That is all I have to add.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Glagha posted:

Tangentially related, Dante's Inferno was an embarrassing trash game. That is all I have to add.

See I'm softly of this opinion too, I kind of enjoyed the mindless button mashing combat because I'm a trash person, but I cannot fathom why it's held up by a small subset of people as this weird glowing example of good art and character design. It was a game that I enjoyed while fully acknowledging it was dumb as hell. Or dumb in hell.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like those kinds of games too but DI was like the Outlast 2 of those. Trying hard to be edgy but mostly just being stupid and embarrassing. Oh look we put titties in hell. Lucifer's got a big ol floppy dong. Are we cool yet?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Satan's giant cock was good because there's already a billion tits in games, but not so much big ole swingin dicks. Also it was surprisingly really serviceable as a character action game.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I actually kind of like the aesthetic. Of course a hell for a puritanical religion is going to be full of sex and gore.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I liked the art direction in DI, primarily because I love the artists they copied outright were inspired by. Getting to wander around a Beksinski painting blew me away at time of release, and the game was fun in a 'bubblegum for the thumbs' kinda way.

Yardbomb posted:

Satan's giant cock was good because there's already a billion tits in games, but not so much big ole swingin dicks. Also it was surprisingly really serviceable as a character action game.

I just loved all the people saying 'yeah, it's cool that we get to murder sluts and babies, but did we have to have a big floppy cock, just gayin' the place up?' at the time. The lack of awareness was a thing of beauty.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 30, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
stealth horror games are poo poo. Idk how anyone can enjoy waiting for some slow dude to walk around a table so you can sneak off

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Stealth horror games are going to take off like fuckin rocketbux in the next decade, and I'll tell you exactly how it transforms from dull crawlaround to Anxiety Attack Simulator-

VR.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

stealth horror games are poo poo. Idk how anyone can enjoy waiting for some slow dude to walk around a table so you can sneak off

When the game uses it sparingly or keeps you in good setpieces actually made for it, having to creep around in horror is really tense and freaky, the problem is a lot of games instead dump you in an area with an enemy and tell you to do a thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The paradoxical thing about the whole unkillable monster you have to run away from trope is that they're only scary until you start dying a whole bunch, at which point they lose all sense of tension and just become an annoyance.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Honestly, this game would be better as a walking simulator. The forced stealth is just terrible. I want to see the rest of the game but I don't know if I can be assed to do so.

See, when I very first heard of Agony, it was described as a Hell walking simulator, and I was like "gently caress yeah". I dunno if it changed in development or if the person who described it that way had the wrong impression, or what.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I thought the world was finally ready for a horror game based on the ouevre of Stephen Sondheim and was disappointed, to say the least.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

JerryLee posted:

See, when I very first heard of Agony, it was described as a Hell walking simulator, and I was like "gently caress yeah". I dunno if it changed in development or if the person who described it that way had the wrong impression, or what.

That's really what it should be and that's what it is for chunks at a time, but it's also punctuated by bad "Avoid the monster" stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

The paradoxical thing about the whole unkillable monster you have to run away from trope is that they're only scary until you start dying a whole bunch, at which point they lose all sense of tension and just become an annoyance.

Amnesia the dark descent was super scary for me until I finally got killed 3/4 of the of the way through and found that it checkpoints every six steps

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Watching a streamer play agony and he just found a damned soul that was a Muslim suicide bomber and was waiting for his virgins.

:psyduck:

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Amnesia the dark descent was super scary for me until I finally got killed 3/4 of the of the way through and found that it checkpoints every six steps

Same experience for me, but also noticing that when you die, it spawns the monster as far away from you as possible, meaning it removes any and all danger after dying with basically no punishment.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

Watching a streamer play agony and he just found a damned soul that was a Muslim suicide bomber and was waiting for his virgins.

Very classy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish there was a faithful video game adaptation of Dante's Inferno.

Yes, I know it would literally be just Dante being guided through Inferno while pointing out all these people that are being tortured in Hell, people that Dante just so happens to not be fond of

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FirstAidKite posted:

Yes, I know it would literally be just Dante being guided through Inferno while pointing out all these people that are being tortured in Hell, people that Dante just so happens to not be fond of

"Welcome to the circle of guys who push other quiet scholars around and are jerks and are named Jeff"

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Afterlife by Lucasarts was basically Sim City Dante's Inferno edition.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'd bet money that Agony is one of Those Games that thinks it's a lot more intelligent than it really is and it'll release and be completely mediocre and bland and vapid. Also, what with how much succubus tiddy we have seen so far, there better be a SHITLOAD of big swingin demon dick to even it out. I want equality in my depraved hellbeast naughty bits, dammit.

Game is entirely this. Good graphics, but stupid story.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
that's like every horror game nowadays. yeah, im talking about remothered.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Red Mundus posted:

:yikes:

Seems like another reason to be glad I didn't buy it. On the one hand, it does make sense in the context of a fictional Hell for violent fundamentalists to end up there. On the other hand, color me extremely suspicious of the motives of someone who unnecessarily and specifically drops that in their indie video game.

(I'm assuming it was, in fact, an oddly specific detail? I'd be pretty okay with it if it was in the context of representing all different kinds of human evil.)

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

JerryLee posted:

:yikes:

Seems like another reason to be glad I didn't buy it. On the one hand, it does make sense in the context of a fictional Hell for violent fundamentalists to end up there. On the other hand, color me extremely suspicious of the motives of someone who unnecessarily and specifically drops that in their indie video game.

(I'm assuming it was, in fact, an oddly specific detail? I'd be pretty okay with it if it was in the context of representing all different kinds of human evil.)

The NPC looked like all other npcs and had a british voice actor and it came out of nowhere. All the lost souls you meet are pretty vague and usually just talk about the Red Queen. The streamer had a :stare: look when he ran into it because he wasn't expecting it. (It was Dansgaming stream.)

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i beat coma the recut. seemed like a worse detention in every way except the art

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JerryLee posted:

That's what I thought it was going to mostly be, but my 2 hour romp through it has all been 90% stealth poo poo.

Red Mundus posted:

It's both hilarious and tasteless, jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Agony? More like A Goatse. (Because it not only looks like rear end, it looks like an rear end).