Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

so apparently the thing that made Greymon easier to raise in the original v-pet than Tyrannomon was a programming error that switched their raising requirements

the entire franchise has been shaped around a different Digimon because of a mistake

hmm, greymon is cooler then tyrannomon but the tyranno evos (especially rusttyranno) completely own greymons, so all told this is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

this is in Digimon Linkz and it's just a recolor but it is The Coolest poo poo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Red just fits Beelzebumon very well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is he EdgeBeezlemon? (A statement I previously would have thought redundant.)

Edit: JK, it's a cool design.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Is he EdgeBeezlemon? (A statement I previously would have thought redundant.)

Edit: JK, it's a cool design.

The first is, as far as I understand, Beelzebumon but corrupted by Volcanicdramon's powers. Several other Digimon in Links also got recolours due to the same reason. Surprisingly enough, they do not count as new Digimon, though I guess we aren't in Digimon World times anymore.

The second (the one in my post) is Beelzebumon X.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Via With the Will

quote:

Hiroyuki Kakudou, director of Adventure, 02, and X-Evolution (among a number of other positions in various Digimon releases) has announced on Twitter that he has resigned from the new Digimon project.

This is interesting, of course, because we were unaware he was working on it.

He made a number of tweets, which onkei has translated for everyone. Translations of his tweets are in italics, after each is my interpretation of what he's saying.

About the new Digimon project. I've been asked to work on it, as a successive piece, as the director of the screenplay and I've been working on it since last year. However when the producers side-approved a submitted plot which I thought was incompatible with what the TV series had already established, I declared my resignation. From what I've heard of progress reports, they've decided to keep going with it still, so I definitely resign.

In this tweet he discusses how he's been working on it since last year, but the producers approved a different plot, and that he doesn't agree with it as he feels it doesn't fit with what was established previously (whether he is referring to story, tone, etc. he doesn't make clear.) He comments on his resignation and that based on what he knows this specific idea is still being used.

The producers have already acknowledged my resignation.
With the producers accepting his resignation he's officially off working on it.

The series director isn't the one who made the original concept, and even if the TV series concepts remained, it's not as if they will be explicitly stated anyway.

The movies made so far were broadcast back in their time, but they were made without my involvement, and I'm sure there are many people who can enjoy them without being bothered by what's already been established.

This is slightly less clear, but appears to be saying that the director of the upcoming series (no statement if it's TV or films/ovas like tri.) didn't make the 'original concept' (which appears to be a nod to the new series being an Adventure continuation.) He points out that even if everything from prior series' were used, there isn't any specific reason they'd be mentioned regardless.

As long as there isn't a different development with the new project, I will no longer be involved in it nor tweet about it anymore. However, I will continue to help with requests that involve the music, games, and figures.

This is just him saying the obvious, he doesn't plan to comment on something he isn't involved in (this has come up in the past when people have asked him questions about how the movies and games he didn't work on tie into Adventure.) He plans to continue his involvement with other aspects of the franchise, as he has.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well that already fills me with dread for the next series. None of us knew he was involved but having his name in it would already be a good thing, so if he decided to leave like this...it doesn't say anything good about it, not at all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, it’s not like Kakudoh hasn’t been difficult or made poor decisions of his own before.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Him not being involved isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Him deciding to publicly announce his quitting, before even being announced, is pretty damning.

poo poo like this happens more often than we'd think, but it's kept under wraps because professionalism and all that stuff, for this guy to go "someone submitted a plot that made no sense and the P-Sans agreed to it without my consent, so i bailed this production." online is insane.

This following hot out of loving Digimon Tri is even more damning.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just saying consider the source here. This is a guy who had a completely different idea of what was going on in 02 from the rest of the writing staff a lot of the time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And i'm saying that regardless of the source, regardless of if the talent that will eventually replace him is a net gain; us hearing about this at all in such a public fashion is a very bad sign for the overall production of this new Digimon project.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Maybe, maybe not. I'm just remembering that this is the guy who said certain developments only he knew about were evident from the start, to the surprise of his own staff and the actual cast, so I'm not really sure I implicitly trust the degree to which he can balance his own views versus what the rest of the production wants. We have no way of knowing who the source of these problems was, or if his account is even reliable, because again - he's been notoriously unreliable about that in the past.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

(...) I'm just remembering that this is the guy who said certain developments only he knew about were evident from the start, to the surprise of his own staff and the actual cast(...)

Can I ask what you're referring to here?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yamato and Sora's relationship is the big one, with Kakudoh remaining adamant that it was something set up and with energy put into it from the start. But 02's writing staff, and to a lesser extent Adventure's, was pretty notorious about the left hand not knowing what the right was doing.

He also claimed that Pipimon died when Oikawa did, because Digimon partners die when their partners do, despite this not fitting what was portrayed on screen at all (he's up and talking as Oikawa turns into the drat butterflies) and also conflicting with the fact that Oikawa isn't actually dead.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 28, 2018

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Digimon partners die when their partners do

This is a bullshit idea and I am incredibly happy it has never really come up ever. I feel like if nothing else, it's got to have been contradicted somewhere else in the series.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It is, in the exact scene where Kakudoh says it supposedly happened.

Also, the Chosen Children, would have seen all of this and definitely remember it, definitely think Taichi is dead for most of Tri part 6, and never at any point go "wait, if Koromon is here, doesn't that mean that Taichi is alive?"

So it's mostly bullshit.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

It is, in the exact scene where Kakudoh says it supposedly happened.

Also, the Chosen Children, would have seen all of this and definitely remember it, definitely think Taichi is dead for most of Tri part 6, and never at any point go "wait, if Koromon is here, doesn't that mean that Taichi is alive?"

So it's mostly bullshit.

I meant somewhere other than that scene, since he's talking about it "clearly" happening there. I mean, whether or not it is (it isn't), I just feel like somewhere else has to be a scene where the Tamer or whatever dies, and the Digimon itself is just fine.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, there isn’t. As far as Adventure goes, other than Daigo in Tri, the only times a human character besides Oikawa “dies”, a Digimon partner isn’t involved. I.e. Iori’s dad and Ken’s brother.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't know how it is in the Japanese or American dub but Oikawa definitely dies since he uses the power of the dream dimension to turn the remaining of his life into energy to restore the Digital World.

And the idea of the Digimon dying when its partners do, applies just to Chosen Children no tamers. So under that rule, Baihumon is toasted.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also we have the ultimate proof in Tamers that that rule doesn't apply there.

Dobermon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He's still got a sense of will about him, so it's not really death.

And again, Pipimon is right there talking to him as he turns into a swarm of butterflies and disappears.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nodosaur posted:

He's still got a sense of will about him, so it's not really death.

And again, Pipimon is right there talking to him as he turns into a swarm of butterflies and disappears.

And he's never seen again afterward.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so what, Pipimon is a zombie in those moments after Oikawa's body disappears?

No, I'm sorry, the notion makes absolutely zero sense.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nodosaur posted:

Or he's also dying at the same time. It wouldn't be the first time that a Digimon is able to give some last words while is dying.

The idea is an unnecessary retcon but one that works within the context of the series.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The main thing to take away is that this is incredibly shocking because usually a departure like this is taken as "Oh he's grown ill" if announced and nothing at all, if not announced. The fact he felt the need to go "WELL I'M OFF THE PROJECT" is incredibly not what was expected.

I have no doubt like mid-way through Tri they got the word "So we're going to do a Digimon Quattro" and it's like "poo poo lets not wrap things up"

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The thing with Kakudou is certainly a bad sign. He may have been behind some of the complaints I had about 02, but having him on board would have made me feel more confident about it. That said, what he considers to fit with what the series established is up in the air, since unless I’m reading it wrong he seems to imply the movies didn’t follow that either, and movie 3’s the only one I though was any bad.

Nodosaur posted:

They’re just moments. He could easily have disintegrated after they cut away.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Not really? Why would that happen, when the butterflies are shown to appear later on, even in the future of 02’s epilogue. There’s no reason to assume he’d keel over later when he was perfectly fine otherwise. If he died he would have done so when Oikawa’s body disappeared.

It doesn’t make any sense and it’s just a way of wringing meaningless depressive tragedy out of a moment that doesn’t need more of it, and it just sucks as a general concept that also reinforces the idea that partners are just accessories to their humans without lives of their own.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

Not really? Why would that happen, when the butterflies are shown to appear later on, even in the future of 02’s epilogue. There’s no reason to assume he’d keel over later when he was perfectly fine otherwise. If he died he would have done so when Oikawa’s body disappeared.

It doesn’t make any sense and it’s just a way of wringing meaningless depressive tragedy out of a moment that doesn’t need more of it, and it just sucks as a general concept that also reinforces the idea that partners are just accessories to their humans without lives of their own.

I mean, nobody said the partners died at the exact moment. I doubt they were thinking of it at the time but there’s like a dozen ways you could spin this... and “it doesn’t make sense” is something you could say about a number of things from the series.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I mean, nobody said the partners died at the exact moment. I doubt they were thinking of it at the time but there’s like a dozen ways you could spin this... and “it doesn’t make sense” is something you could say about a number of things from the series.

Yeah like how Kakudoh had a moment to explain how Crests were placebo's that didn't have any power, and then had said crests be used as a power source, including a Crest of Kindness, which didn't line up with any of the other Crests (Which were made in a lab specifically for the 8 kids) including having the children "Give up" the crests, and then in Tri having the kids evolve with no issue or thought put towards it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Or the fact that there just happened to be ancient artifacts that corresponded to the traits that the chosen children had.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/habumon/status/1001253986056339456

A new Digimon game, neither World nor Story, will be announced this summer.

I'm hoping it is a modernization of the Digital Card Battle concept, like Cyber Sleuth was to the DS games.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So did everyone else know that Kakudou’s concept for 03 was Digimon vs aliens? Because I just found that out and uhhh yeah, not sure I’m much of a fan of that, at least in the Adventure-verse.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm hoping it is a modernization of the Digital Card Battle concept, like Cyber Sleuth was to the DS games.

It say that they’re trying a new concept that’s a bit different from the series (whether or not that means wot will drop the World or Story names is up in the air) so I wouldn’t count on it being something they’ve done before. He mentioned during a Hacker’s Memory interview that they were still working on the next main Story game, right? Maybe that evolved into something different.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

Personally I wouldn't mind them giving an Action RPG style game a try again, hopefully with better results than Digimon World 4

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I wouldn't mind them giving an Action RPG style game a try again, hopefully with better results than Digimon World 4

Can we please do better than Digimon World 4

For the love of Christ it took SO LONG to load anything and the action was so monotomous

Also the selection of Digimon was atrocious, that you could play as. I ended up just gunning for Hercules Kabuterimon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Digimon World 4 makes the other Digimon games of the time look like absolute masterpieces. Whatever comes out of this, can't ever be as bad as that game.

Then again, I guess the number 4 is just cursed in Digimon. Can't wait for Digimon Adventure Quattro, which follows the footsteps of such grands as Frontier and World 4!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hey, the front half of Frontier is a decent but flawed sentai series with a rough Digimon theme. The back half was a dumpster fire, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lucemon is still one of the franchise's best villains. And Cherubimon's arc is legitimately heartbreaking.

No series squanders its potential as much as XW tho.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Hey, the front half of Frontier is a decent but flawed sentai series with a rough Digimon theme. The back half was a dumpster fire, though.

It's a Sentai series, sure, but it's the kind where only the Red ever gets to actually matter, with a bit of Blue here and there. Which fine, that's Kyoryuger and Kyoryuger is super good, but this one was mediocre at best and terrible at worst. Great villains though, that's always a plus.

Nodosaur posted:

Lucemon is still one of the franchise's best villains. And Cherubimon's arc is legitimately heartbreaking.

No series squanders its potential as much as XW tho.

Lucemon appears too late to matter and the only thing he has in his favour is a really good final boss fight, otherwise he's a step above Apocalymon and far below his immediate predecessor, the D-Reaper. Not to mention how all his plot is slow as poo poo and incredibly tedious.

I never felt anything for Cherubimon. DigiIncel, meh.

Xros Wars is better than Frontier in pretty much every single way and even there it's an okay series at most, which says a lot about Frontier.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's a Sentai series, sure, but it's the kind where only the Red ever gets to actually matter, with a bit of Blue here and there. Which fine, that's Kyoryuger and Kyoryuger is super good, but this one was mediocre at best and terrible at worst. Great villains though, that's always a plus.

It still kind of bothers me that Izumi got jobbed in her first fight and never really got much of a chance to make up for it. Despite that, Frontier was an interesting concept (letting the humans take an active role in the fight rather than just leaving it to the Digimon), it just wasn't executed all that well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Digimon World 3-2