Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

McDragon posted:

Pokemon Quest is rad as hell. Depends on how obnoxious the shop's gonna be

Dunno about Let's Go and I'm glad theres gonna be a proper pokemon game eventually but gently caress it, gimmicky pokemon poo poo is my jam (go can still bite me but it seems to be getting better)

I like that it's offline; I paid for the like $15 pack and it seems like it'll be a "lazily check in over the course of a day" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My girlfriend and I play go together. We watched the trailer together and said "holy poo poo that looks cool."

I think I'm hyped because I got a lot of good poo poo I can transfer over from Pogo. Excellent venusaurs, charizards, Dragonite (thanks, community day) as well as near perfect IVs on the eeveelutions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I thought Pokemon Quest was on phones as well as Switch. I'm not seeing it in the app store

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm just gonna wait for the third version

https://twitter.com/Ktyon3/status/1001754767838724096

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Macaluso posted:

I thought Pokemon Quest was on phones as well as Switch. I'm not seeing it in the app store

i don't think it's out til june

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's already parody covers for "Let's Go [Insert Pokemon Here]"

This fandom works quickly, even if they're gonna miss the good pokemon, like Trubbish, Dunsparce, and Luvdisc

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Vinylshadow posted:

There's already parody covers for "Let's Go [Insert Pokemon Here]"

This fandom works quickly, even if they're gonna miss the good pokemon, like Trubbish, Dunsparce, and Luvdisc

Let's Go Unown!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well I downloaded it on Switch then. Man this Pokemon Quest game is... nothing. It's actually nothing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CascadeBeta posted:

Let's Go Unown!

I wonder if which Unown you'd get is determined by your trainer name
Or Nintendo Club ID?
Or a method similar to which cocoon Wurmple evolves into
Completely random because it's only cosmetic and they all play the same?

https://twitter.com/Jamuko/status/1001707465652801536
If Pikachu can do it, why not Eevee?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i never actually played an online pokemon battle

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

i never actually played an online pokemon battle

Once during my first XY playthrough someone randomly challenged me and I went “Hey why not”.

I remembered I’m only good at the story mode of these games for babies and never accepted another one after getting wrecked.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Very long story short: I may have a five year old in my life soon, and this game looks like the perfect way to bond over video games. Warms my heart thinking about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hopeandjoy posted:

Once during my first XY playthrough someone randomly challenged me and I went “Hey why not”.

I remembered I’m only good at the story mode of these games for babies and never accepted another one after getting wrecked.

Yeah playing Pokémon online is like playing a fighting game online. If you're not on a ridiculously high level you're just going to bounce off it and play something less soul destroying.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I played battles with my friends but I got far more use out of online in trades. I've traded a lot, completed my livingdex, got new shinies, got a lot of Pokemon from other languages...

Even if you aren't into combat, online connection has been nothing but a positive for Pokemon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah playing Pokémon online is like playing a fighting game online. If you're not on a ridiculously high level you're just going to bounce off it and play something less soul destroying.

Or you could learn from your losses and get better

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I remember battling a friend of mine in BW2 - he had competitive pokemon given to him by a friend and I just used my story team

I managed to scrape out a win due to sheer luck (Defeated his Dragonite with my Ampharos thanks to Signal Beam Confusing it and Discharge Paralyzing it) and because I hate myself, I've done the same for the PWT and managed to unlock the Champion Circuit (screw the requirements for that, by the way) and have only ever been able to defeat Steven and Green

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I think it's the same thing with fighting games, really: if you want to play online, you need to commit to "earning" your fun, unless you're one of the rare people who can find repeatedly losing to be fun.

And much like with fighting games, I'm probably never going to be the guy who does that. Which is fine! Though I do wish Pokemon games had more single-player stuff that's more challenging than the story modes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Countblanc posted:

Or you can just accept you aren’t into competitive battling and play story because you like that better.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Countblanc posted:

I'm definitely... Not going to do that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
git gud does not apply in a game where you need to get perfect ivs and chain breed for attacks

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Eh. I don't really feel like there's the same granularity of skill/progression. It seems like there's way more thought, work and planning that goes into competitive pokemon, where as fighting games is can just be a matter of "just play a lot." If your team comp or move set in pokemon sucks, it just sucks. I don't really get the impression you're really going to learn a lot from a loss because there's too many variables. It's a totally different beast from story mode pokemon where you can kinda just roll through with pokemon you think are cool.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ArticBleu/status/1001640702457991168
That...makes way too much sense, actually

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
thats kawaii, no complaints here.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

"Competitive" Pokemon battling is like playing a TCG or something; there's strategy and meta and all that. The difference is that it's free--or rather, all the tools you need to be able to compete come with the game. Hell, you can even us a pro or streamer's QR team to "net deck"

In the newest games they even give you a little "run your Tauros around in here" pen right outside the breeder

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gen II Breeding: Ride your bike through a route and city
Gen III Breeding: Ride your bike through a route and city
Gen IV Breeding: Ride your bike through two routes and a city
Gen V Breeding: Ride your bike along a bridge
Gen VI Breeding: Ride your bike through a route and city, or circle an island
Gen VII Breeding: Ride a rampaging bull through a quiet ranch or in a pen

My, how the times have changed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I feel like the girl player characters almost always have the better character designs. The only boy one that really stands out to me is the Black and White 2 one

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

same except i bodied them with powder vivillon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Macaluso posted:

I feel like the girl player characters almost always have the better character designs. The only boy one that really stands out to me is the Black and White 2 one

The boy designs were somewhat samey from BW to SuMo. This boy's okay, but a bit too Red for me. Gonna be a cute girl.

I also hope they're bringing over the character customization.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
bw1, as with most things about Gen v, has the best male protag

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Raserys posted:

This person gets it.

Good male protags:
Red
HGSS Gold
Hilbert
Nate

Good female protags:
the rest

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's fine on his own, then they kinda got into a rut of black pants, blue jacket, red hat for a few games.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raserys posted:

The most bland male protag yeah.

Best is still Lucas and his incredibly thick scarf in Platinum.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hibert is just Trucker Red.

Also I will never forgive him for stealing Nate's spot in that one Pokemon Origins episode.

More accurate to the games my rear end.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the best female protagonist is still Kris

still mad she was replaced in HGSS

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I also hope they're bringing over the character customization.

It would be monstrously dumb to not have it for the Gen 8 game next year

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Zore posted:

The most bland male protag yeah.

Best is still Lucas and his incredibly thick scarf in Platinum.

DP Lucas was better because he didn't have that ugly as sin coat.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

I can't believe that the Pokemon are still making Dial-up noises instead of saying their names. Really Nintendo? Really?

I'll take dial-up noises over annoying pokespeak any day.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

git gud does not apply in a game where you need to get perfect ivs and chain breed for attacks

You say that like breeding is difficult. It isn't. Just a little tedious.

And if its too tedious, you can rent any team you want with a QR code in seconds.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Brendan's hat is still the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Brendan's hat is still the best

He was my favorite because I didn't realize it was a hat and thought he had inexplicably white anime hair and that really jived with me when I was in...high school?? I didn't realize Emerald came out in 2005 in the US dang.