Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gently caress

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

ah, a fellow friend of donald on facebook

was talking with a friend about music from that era, his post popped up and down the rabbit hole i went

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Aliquid posted:

was talking with a friend about music from that era, his post popped up and down the rabbit hole i went

namaste

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
system of a down is basically the logical follow-up to rage against the machine with more annoying music

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ScrubLeague posted:

system of a down is basically the logical follow-up to rage against the machine with more annoying music
never really listened to system of a down but i was at a vape shop in town and they had this going on a screen and it owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L4YrGaR8E4

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i think i was the perfect age for evil empire when it came out, but i can't listen to basically any ratm anymore without just being sad that it was the best praxis for an adolescent nu-metal revolutionary at the time and the current version of it is idk... run the jewels?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Guyovich posted:

ah, a fellow friend of donald on facebook

r.i.p. no quarter

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ScrubLeague posted:

i think i was the perfect age for evil empire when it came out, but i can't listen to basically any ratm anymore without just being sad that it was the best praxis for an adolescent nu-metal revolutionary at the time and the current version of it is idk... run the jewels?

Their flow is sub par okay there I said it

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
saw a guy today with a fitters shirt on that read "thank a union member for AMERICA" on the back

this has been today's Labor Aristocrat Digest

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

saw a guy today with a fitters shirt on that read "thank a union member for AMERICA" on the back

this has been today's Labor Aristocrat Digest

stealing valor from Are Troops, shameful

Extremely Banned Guy
May 28, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Aliquid posted:

i'm going through old RATM music videos and zack de la rocha really had a lot invested in the 2000 election

"bush and gore are two sides of the same coin" is one of the all time hot takes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gore would have invaded Iraq

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
mm

i dont think so

afghanistan for sure though lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
perry anderson made a pretty persuasive case that he very well might have though in American Foreign Policy and its Thinkers, which I recommend

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

GalacticAcid posted:

perry anderson made a pretty persuasive case that he very well might have though in American Foreign Policy and its Thinkers, which I recommend

Care to sum up the argument? I'm curious.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Aliquid posted:

aaahahaha holy loving poo poo he really did direct that, thank you

he also directed sleep now in the fire which is by far ratm's best imo

al gore was the epitome of a succdem and people just kinda forgot because of inconvenient truth and how bad bush was

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Goon Danton posted:

Care to sum up the argument? I'm curious.

It's been a little while and my memory is a bit fuzzy since I read the book in short chunks on the subway. but he cited the dems' reliance on 'liberal interventionist' foreign policy hacks for advisers & staffers, all of whom were hostile to iraq, and charted how that manifested in concrete policy terms -- in particular, Bill Clinton's signing of the Iraq Liberation Act, which made regime change in Iraq the official USG policy. He pointed to the murderous sanctions and the clinton admin's blase attitude to the staggering body count they incurred, and the hawkish line taken by most beltway Dems in the actual runup to bush's war.

again i'm not convinced so maybe someone who agrees and has read it more recently can weigh in

if anybody has a New Left Review account, the book was originally published as a two part essay there:

Part I: Imperium

Part II: Consilium

I don't have an account or I'd PM you the text, sorry.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aliquid posted:

Their flow is sub par okay there I said it

yeah tbh RTJ for me works better as spoken word than it does like artistic rap

but that's probably the best analog to mid-90s RATM, yeah?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it is funny when people are like, woah tom morello is this amazing guitar player.

i mean he's pretty good yeah but it's also, like, wakka wakka

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

we just need to go back to seventies- era west german punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW5w6BF1OwU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

ScrubLeague posted:

rage against the machine came back with chuck d, dj lord, and b-real as prophets of rage if you want more metal in your revolutionary rap

zac is not in it but maybe they'll have him guest on some track

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Aliquid posted:

they were definitely more fleshed-out regular people than in most other media i see today

do they have something better than chop suey? i avoided that scene along with papa roach and staind. if they made poo poo that's funkier and with a more consistent time signature and style i could listen

I remember the first half of "Steal This Album!" being completely legit

the back half, well, not so much

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
system of a down in incredible what the gently caress

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dururrr. this loud, angry song about how the police are bad, or how drug laws are purely intended to fund for-profit prisons isnt NEARLY funky and mellow enough for me

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

ScrubLeague posted:

SOAD is praxis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILc0cYkKqFs

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

StashAugustine posted:

we just need to go back to seventies- era west german punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW5w6BF1OwU

wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWlWjjePYo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://youtu.be/gtcHwr7K-2c

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

It's been a little while and my memory is a bit fuzzy since I read the book in short chunks on the subway. but he cited the dems' reliance on 'liberal interventionist' foreign policy hacks for advisers & staffers, all of whom were hostile to iraq, and charted how that manifested in concrete policy terms -- in particular, Bill Clinton's signing of the Iraq Liberation Act, which made regime change in Iraq the official USG policy. He pointed to the murderous sanctions and the clinton admin's blase attitude to the staggering body count they incurred, and the hawkish line taken by most beltway Dems in the actual runup to bush's war.

again i'm not convinced so maybe someone who agrees and has read it more recently can weigh in

if anybody has a New Left Review account, the book was originally published as a two part essay there:

Part I: Imperium

Part II: Consilium

I don't have an account or I'd PM you the text, sorry.

I think the difference between Democratic interventionism and Republican interventionism is that Democrats won't go in alone. That Libya was with NATO, but we couldn't get anybody on board for a Iraq suggests that hypothetical president Gore would not have attacked Iraq

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I think the difference between Democratic interventionism and Republican interventionism is that Democrats won't go in alone. That Libya was with NATO, but we couldn't get anybody on board for a Iraq suggests that hypothetical president Gore would not have attacked Iraq

We got tons of countries on board for Iraq, what the Hell are you talking about?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_of_the_willing

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We got tons of countries on board for Iraq, what the Hell are you talking about?

We didn't have France and Germany, nobody gives a poo poo about Poland, much less Micronesia

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

We didn't have France and Germany, nobody gives a poo poo about Poland, much less Micronesia

This is one of the dumbest posts you've ever made.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Then again,

(full article)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Setting aside that the UK is the only country that really matters in terms of military support, a hypothetical Gore administration would've been more likely to get France on board because he wouldn't have pitched it to Chirac as the climactic battle between Gog and Magog.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it was cool how blair became a born again catholic but knew it would go down insanely badly so hid it while leading everyone into the crusades mk whatever

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm not defending Democratic foreign policy, a Good presidency would be at best as catastrophic as Clinton's

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
This New York Times profile of Boots Riley is the most respectful treatment of genuine radical politics I have ever seen in the bourgeois press.

I’m floored. Please give it a read. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Progressive Labor Party mentioned in the Times for any reason, let alone mentioned as a vessel for serious political work.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’m phone posting so someone else please post excerpts.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

GalacticAcid posted:

I’m phone posting so someone else please post excerpts.

he sneaks this at the end

"as long as the fight is going on.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_wk-cLofY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

noble democrats certainly would not be bush-like warhawks i screech as obama continues bush's wars of aggression and starts new ones and the entire liberal press hoots and hollers for all of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNfucKAftB0