Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was thinking that Heartful Punch slept in, but actually, of course magical girl school doesn't start until very late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I was thinking that Heartful Punch slept in, but actually, of course magical girl school doesn't start until very late.

I think it was even called out last chapter when Tessa started at regular school. The magical girls have to stay out late hunting monsters so they get different school hours to match.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Honestly I thought HP as more of a dog person.

Also, the results of that character popularity poll are hilarious.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Does anybody know why Jerkcity became Bonequest

I just checked in for the first time in a while and have a lot of questions

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oglaf again is best comic

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

JethroMcB posted:

Does anybody know why Jerkcity became Bonequest

I just checked in for the first time in a while and have a lot of questions

I thought that was just a joke, they're really committing to it then?

I mean, committing to it doesn't mean it's not still an absurdist joke of some kind. Just a different kind I suppose

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

jerkcity has been telling the same four jokes for a billion years and is still the crown jewel of western civilization, they can afford to mix it up a little

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I just caught up with How to Be a Werewolf

Kind of interesting. Slightly generic. I sped through it so I had a hard time telling who was who.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I gave up on How to Be a Werewolf because it came off as one of those fantasy webcomics that tries too hard to be grounded so it's got this very earthy vibe but is never really interesting.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

DoubleCakes posted:

I gave up on How to Be a Werewolf because it came off as one of those fantasy webcomics that tries too hard to be grounded so it's got this very earthy vibe but is never really interesting.

Well, that's the good thing about webcomics, I guess. You can sort of let them go for years at a time, and when you come back, you can read them all over again, except a lot more.

Of course, if you are following a webcomic like you're supposed to, you will only ever be sad.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

should mythic id monsters be this talky

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

SGR: Fit Mom’s interactions with Grendel are so consistently supportive and wholesome. It’s heartwarming.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DoubleCakes posted:

It keeps digressing into how random magic things work and other backstory that's kind of interminable to read page-by-page over months, so that's understandable. I'm more disappointed it's snuggled into the same "secret magic society" rut as most urban fantasy, and I don't see what could possibly make unique at this point.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's hard to make a setting with magic that's supposed to look like the real world. Either you try to keep magic hidden and largely unknown so that it will still plausibly look like the real world; or you don't and then you end up with something closer to high fantasy.

Basically it's hard to find a middle ground between Vampire: the Masquerade and Eberron.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

It's hard to make a setting with magic that's supposed to look like the real world. Either you try to keep magic hidden and largely unknown so that it will still plausibly look like the real world; or you don't and then you end up with something closer to high fantasy.

Basically it's hard to find a middle ground between Vampire: the Masquerade and Eberron.

Magical realism's a whole literary genre, dude.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Magical realism's a whole literary genre, dude.

It's more of a South America thing, I reckon? One Hundred Years of Solitude, House of Spirits, Like Water For Chocolate.

Love & Rockets supposedly has elements of it but I still haven't read it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samuringa posted:

It's more of a South America thing, I reckon? One Hundred Years of Solitude, House of Spirits, Like Water For Chocolate.

its most well-known originator was colombian but at this point it can't really be claimed by any one culture

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Oh, my bad, didn't mean it to be about cultural appropriation, just that I couldn't think of works like that outside of that region.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Oh, my bad, didn't mean it to be about cultural appropriation, just that I couldn't think of works like that outside of that region.

salman rushdie's the first one that always comes to my mind

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oxxidation posted:

salman rushdie's the first one that always comes to my mind

Ngugi Wa Thiong'o's The Wizard of the Crow is magical realist and also excellent.

I do think there's a relationship between magical realism and postcolonial literature, though I'm not entirely certain how to describe it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I Stared at the Night of the City was a pretty great Kurdish totally-not-Midnight's-Children, offhand.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Ngugi Wa Thiong'o's The Wizard of the Crow is magical realist and also excellent.

I do think there's a relationship between magical realism and postcolonial literature, though I'm not entirely certain how to describe it.

They're usually deploying magic at least partly as a metaphor for the tension between the old precolonial ways and the March of Progress that rules the modern age. Southern gothic novels do the same thing sometimes. I think the difference is those novels are typically trying to say something with their fantastical flourishes, so they wind up with this more nuanced relationship between them and the mundane similar to the real nature of whatever they're writing about, whereas webcomics people mostly just want to gently caress a werewolf.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 30, 2018

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuringa posted:

Love & Rockets totally has a lot of that and it really really rules.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I love absurdist humour and bizarre sexual content, so the last couple of Oglaf updates were just loving hilarious; I laughed like a drain.

That's all, carry on.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i want to gently caress a werewolf

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

this broken hill posted:

i want to gently caress a werewolf

There are plenty of webcomics for that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoubleCakes posted:

There are plenty of webcomics for that.

I still remember who pointed me at 'Peter Is The Wolf' and I have never forgiven them.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I am delighted by these last two pages of Astral Aves. Pippa and Agrippa are both wonderful.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

I still remember who pointed me at 'Peter Is The Wolf' and I have never forgiven them.

You asked, you got what you sought

Seek better things

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

You asked, you got what you sought

Seek better things

They thought I would enjoy it with a Dave Strider-like irony. They were wrong.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

only one thing to do now. *unzips*

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Zero_Tactility posted:

I am delighted by these last two pages of Astral Aves. Pippa and Agrippa are both wonderful.

I enjoy Astral Aves, but I wish someone would explain how this world is "supposed" to work, because literally every character makes their way in the world by Doing It Wrong.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
monster pulse is currently really heavy and really uncomfortable god drat

moreso than usual for the comic where the plot only really started rolling when somebody got their face turned into paste w a fuckin rock

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Just so you all know, I've had to make a spreadsheet to keep track of the comics I read now. And if I had to make it, you all have to see it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Or just use Comic Rocket.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
is it even a spreadsheet if it doesnt use conditional formatting or data validation or alternate line colors or unnecessary formulas

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
has there ever been a good QC guest strip? like good on JJ for taking time to rebuild his buffet and rest and whatnot but the only thing worse than QC guest comics is yelling bird comics

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The best QC guest strip involves a suicide.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

morallyobjected posted:

has there ever been a good QC guest strip? like good on JJ for taking time to rebuild his buffet and rest and whatnot but the only thing worse than QC guest comics is yelling bird comics

You shut your heretic mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

and then their lips met

in a magical love kiss