Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Black Mask was great in Under the Red Hood.

"I'll need some guys, not these guys, they're dead"

gently caress you for making me want to Under the Red Hood again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

I thought Black Mask was interesting in that he and The Penguin strike me as the last remnants of regular organised crime in Gotham, but to hold on they evolved to take on aspects of the new super-criminals. I don't know if that's actually how they portray him though, I've not read much with him and I'm mostly familiar with him from Arkham and The Batman. I'll put Brubaker's Catwoman on the list.

I feel like that's why BM has gotten a big push. Like I know the Falcones exist, but Black Mask works as both a mob boss and weirdo supervillain-type.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Penguin, Black Mask and the Great White Shark are called the 'black-and-whites' now, and they're pretty much exactly that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

"I'll need some guys, not these guys, they're dead"

gently caress you for making me want to Under the Red Hood again.

It's the only time Jason Todd is not objectively horrible.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I think Black Mask does better with False Face society. It's the kind of thing that allows for mystery, where these masked criminal organizers could be anyone, and for them to be freaks or old fashioned gangsters.

Mr Hootington posted:

Bruce Wayne bought out Kord Industries and used it to build Brother Eye. Batman killed Ted Kord.

That's a bit of a reach, considering the Brother Eye operation was hijacked and taken over by the man who actually killed Kord.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I like Penguin better reformed, because he realized he could make way more money by selling watered down drinks at the Iceberg Lounge than he ever did illegally, and he only still keeps his ear to the ground because he knows that what draws the tourists and hipsters is the chance that tonight, Batman is going to come crashing through the skylight and start yelling. That's a lot of fun to me and nobody else can fill that niche.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I could use a major villain showpiece storyline for The Penguin some time soon.

He's my favourite Batman movie villain in my favourite Batman movie, and it seems like nobody in comics really cares to do anything that big and crazy with him.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 29, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

catlord posted:

I thought Black Mask was interesting in that he and The Penguin strike me as the last remnants of regular organised crime in Gotham, but to hold on they evolved to take on aspects of the new super-criminals.

Arkham Origins marks the time in Batman's career where the freaks replace the criminals by making that the literal plot and I can't work out if it's stupid or clever.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Penguin had a great story arc, I forget if it's before or after No Man's Land (maybe before Bruce Wayne: Murderer), where Batman decided to finally bring him down, and was using Bruce Wayne's financial power to help, undercutting Penguin from a business sense. It ended around an issue where Penguin, finally pushed to the brink, pulled off a simple plan to kill Batman and skip town on his yacht. His showcase in Joker's Asylum was nice too in depicting how dangerous he can be. Pain and Prejudice touches on his envy nicely.

But a lot of his stuff recently has been writers trying to introduce usurpers, like 'Emperor Penguin' and Penguin's son who took another bird name, in Batgirl.

nofather fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CapnAndy posted:

I like Penguin better reformed, because he realized he could make way more money by selling watered down drinks at the Iceberg Lounge than he ever did illegally, and he only still keeps his ear to the ground because he knows that what draws the tourists and hipsters is the chance that tonight, Batman is going to come crashing through the skylight and start yelling. That's a lot of fun to me and nobody else can fill that niche.

It makes a contrast to Black Mask. Who found out he was way better at running a criminal empire then a legitimate one. (Like the reason he turned to crime in the first place was that he ran his company into the ground.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

nofather posted:

Penguin had a great story arc, I forget if it's before or after No Man's Land (maybe before Bruce Wayne: Murderer), where Batman decided to finally bring him down, and was using Bruce Wayne's financial power to help, undercutting Penguin from a business sense. It ended around an issue where Penguin, finally pushed to the brink, pulled off a simple plan to kill Batman and skip town on his yacht. His showcase in Joker's Asylum was nice too in depicting how dangerous he can be. Pain and Prejudice touches on his envy nicely.

But a lot of his stuff recently has been writers trying to introduce usurpers, like 'Emperor Penguin' and Penguin's son who took another bird name, in Batgirl.

This was in Brubakers Batman run and I kind of enjoyed Bruce being a dick to Penguin, until he realised he pushed him too far.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

CapnAndy posted:

100% same. And to note nofather's point, the Pain and Prejudice mini had a nice start to it as I recall, but the end somehow felt... meh to me. I'd need to go back through it, but it came across as being less grounded than the rest of that mini overall.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finished up reading my comics from last week and Terrifics #4 was the first issue that I really enjoyed. I was going to drop it, but I think I'll hold on to it for another issue, at least. I'm sure the art switching from Ivan Reis to Doc Shaner helped this quite a bit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Finished up reading my comics from last week and Terrifics #4 was the first issue that I really enjoyed. I was going to drop it, but I think I'll hold on to it for another issue, at least. I'm sure the art switching from Ivan Reis to Doc Shaner helped this quite a bit.

Very much same.

I’m still not loving it, but that was better than the first three. The concept of a DC Fantastic Four with this particular cast has me very interested but the payoff isn’t really here yet.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

CapnAndy posted:

Ditto, and reform Poison Ivy with a gig running that rejuvenation spa from the animated series. This time, she's much more selective about which customers she petrifies into trees, and uses an advanced formula that doesn't result in hellish faces on the bark. She also cooks up potions that heal people, giving her lots of cameos and opportunities to wax poetic about Mother Earth's perspective.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

graybook posted:

100% same. And to note nofather's point, the Pain and Prejudice mini had a nice start to it as I recall, but the end somehow felt... meh to me. I'd need to go back through it, but it came across as being less grounded than the rest of that mini overall.
I didn't make it past the first issue of that because the main plot was basically "Penguin's employee gets bumped into him at a bar, employee is ready to yell at Penguin before realizing Penguin is his boss, employee apologizes. Penguin accepts his apology, then goes to check in on his sex trafficking victims, then plots an elaborate scheme so that the dude who accidentally insulted him gets framed for massive embezzlement from the feds.

Oh and his building blows up and kills all of the nice people he lives with in the building.
Oh and his parents are killed in an automobile accident.
Oh and his sister is going to be stabbed with an AIDS infected needle by a junkie on the Subway.

It was pretty hardcore Banality of Evil New 52 garbage as best as I could tell.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
It's more of a retread of the pre-New 52 Joker's Asylum Penguin dealing with the mocking chef thing.

Pain and Prejudice is better in dealing with Penguin's feelings towards Batman, though, than Joker's Asylum was.

Both paint him as a scheming mastermind who's willing to 'go big' when it comes to petty vengeance but falling short at more ambitious crimes. And both deal with him and weird relationships women (P&P has him bathing his mom, JA with him 'caging' the girl who liked him).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do like that that chef had just been laughing about something and Penguin did not even know it was about him. But he is so petty and insecure he ruined his life anyway.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I guess I never saw the Joker's Asylum bit (and I think Lex Luthor did something very similar in Man of Steel and threatened to do so in Forever Evil) but the whole "torture motherfucker, I'll rape your granddaughter's puppy if you sneeze in front of me I'm such a bad man badass" thing is ridiculous and stupid wherever it may arise.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Edge & Christian posted:

I guess I never saw the Joker's Asylum bit (and I think Lex Luthor did something very similar in Man of Steel and threatened to do so in Forever Evil) but the whole "torture motherfucker, I'll rape your granddaughter's puppy if you sneeze in front of me I'm such a bad man badass" thing is ridiculous and stupid wherever it may arise.

It's not really bad man badass. It's more the Penguin is really really insecure and petty.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked Man of Steel.
The most concerning thing was there being a 25 word, no comma sentence. Don't be afraid of rapping him on the knuckles, editors.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

A lot of Batman villains work better as corrupt, but still not openly criminal, antagonists/semi-allies. Riddler as a private eye, Penguin as an Entirely Legitimate Businessman, Catwoman as—uh, as most of post-'90s Catwoman, I guess...? Has Hugo Strange ever had an extended stint as a doctor who doesn't ask questions and takes cash-paying patients at any time of night? It might work Ok.

Having a bunch of crime-adjacent types around helps build out a pulpy crime fiction underworld, imo.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Selina Kyle sometimes appeared as a socialite. I think BTAS sort of wrote themselves into a corner by having so many villains go straight or die. It works well for the 3 or so seasons the show got, you get some closure, but doesn't work as well for the ongoing comic medium.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked Man of Steel.
The most concerning thing was there being a 25 word, no comma sentence. Don't be afraid of rapping him on the knuckles, editors.

I think Helspont would have been a better villain to use than new warrior of the cosmos guy. But I'm biased.

Robin's Prelude to the Wedding was good, too, interesting dynamic there with Robin and Catwoman, should be played up on later. Joker's making a big impression, much bigger than his weak appearance in Doomsday Clock.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think Long Halloween implied that Catwoman was robbing the Falcones and using the money to make Selina Kyle a name in the upper crust circles of Gotham? If not they should do that, it seems like a good idea.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

purple death ray posted:

I think Long Halloween implied that Catwoman was robbing the Falcones and using the money to make Selina Kyle a name in the upper crust circles of Gotham? If not they should do that, it seems like a good idea.
I mean if Editorial ever sneaks into Tom King's bedroom and tattoos BATMAN HAS A SECRET IDENTITY AND YOU MAY WANT TO ADDRESS THAT, NUMBNUTS on his forehead like they should, presumably she'll be a permanent fixture in the upper crust of Gotham as of July 4th.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Squizzle posted:

A lot of Batman villains work better as corrupt, but still not openly criminal, antagonists/semi-allies. Riddler as a private eye, Penguin as an Entirely Legitimate Businessman, Catwoman as—uh, as most of post-'90s Catwoman, I guess...? Has Hugo Strange ever had an extended stint as a doctor who doesn't ask questions and takes cash-paying patients at any time of night? It might work Ok.

Having a bunch of crime-adjacent types around helps build out a pulpy crime fiction underworld, imo.

The Riddler as a scummy private eye was a good take on the character. Now a days the Joker lite Riddler wouldn't work.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I mean if Editorial ever sneaks into Tom King's bedroom and tattoos BATMAN HAS A SECRET IDENTITY AND YOU MAY WANT TO ADDRESS THAT, NUMBNUTS on his forehead like they should, presumably she'll be a permanent fixture in the upper crust of Gotham as of July 4th.

Tim Seeley has the answer, from next week's Road to the Wedding event:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

purple death ray posted:

They did or do have a history of dating

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ElNarez posted:

Well, it's not a great answer, but at least it's an answer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bobkatt013 posted:

They did or do have a history of dating

I just meant like in general, not to explain why they'd be getting married

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone else go all-in on the HB crossover comics this week?
I bet Flash/Speed Buggy with be this year's Batman/Fudd. The Eisners are a-callin'.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ElNarez posted:

Honestly marrying a known criminal might be the greatest final "oh that Bruce Wayne is wildly irresponsible!" move Bruce could pull.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Doomsday Clock is fine when things actually happen but my god things do not happen enough in this story. There's no reason this had to be twelve issues.

Also this whole "Did the US government create metahumans??" plot feels like trying to cram a square peg aesthetic of Watchmen into the round hole of the DCU. We know, for a fact, that a whole gamut of metahuman power sources exist in the DCU, from alien technology to magic totems to divine intervention, so the only reason anyone would buy into that government theory is if they were being...to be blunt...willfully ignorant. Watching a whole world being willfully ignorant for issue after issue is not my idea of an entertaining time.

If Johns' goal is to instill in me the same sort of irritated ennui that the original Watchmen did, well, I guess he cleared that low bar.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Watchmen was 12 issues so obviously Doomsday Clock must be. :rolleyes:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not exactly sure why, but I'm kinda enjoying the glacial pace and not really knowing what it's driving towards for all these months.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked Man of Steel.

I liked it the most out of all my DC pulls this week.

No Justice kind of just ended, and it feels like it could have used two more issues.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Roth posted:

I liked it the most out of all my DC pulls this week.

No Justice kind of just ended, and it feels like it could have used two more issues.

No Justice ended with a big, long wet fart. I felt no attachment to the mini-series after the cliffhanger of issue 1.

I did like Man of Steel though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Doomsday Clock is fine when things actually happen but my god things do not happen enough in this story. There's no reason this had to be twelve issues.

Also this whole "Did the US government create metahumans??" plot feels like trying to cram a square peg aesthetic of Watchmen into the round hole of the DCU. We know, for a fact, that a whole gamut of metahuman power sources exist in the DCU, from alien technology to magic totems to divine intervention, so the only reason anyone would buy into that government theory is if they were being...to be blunt...willfully ignorant. Watching a whole world being willfully ignorant for issue after issue is not my idea of an entertaining time.
I'm not a fan so far either but it's pretty blatantly taking place in an alternate universe, not the main DCU.

That's actually one of my complaints, the part where why the gently caress do we care about these one-off knockoffs and their dumb grimdark universe?

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Heads up, looks like all of DC 1,000,000 is on sale this week on comiXology for 99 cents an issue

Also a bunch of other poo poo, including Countdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not a fan so far either but it's pretty blatantly taking place in an alternate universe, not the main DCU.

That's actually one of my complaints, the part where why the gently caress do we care about these one-off knockoffs and their dumb grimdark universe?

Supposedly it's taking place in the near future.

I thought this last issue was pretty drat good. We're going to get the JSA and the Legion back, and I'm interested to see where things go with Black Adam.