Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question about TLOS - do vehicles block your units from being targeted if your opponent can't actually see them?

For instance, if I walked my intercessors behind/beside my repulsor and they were effectively obscured from view, would my opponent be able to target them?

Nope, you can't see through units, units can only see through models within the same unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Given that the repulsor sits off the table a bit there's a decent chance stuff shooting at those intercessors might still have LOS though.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I expect this might be map better with the new plasma weapon or those one-shot cruise missiles. There's also the FW knight with a Gets Hot black-hole gun who would appreciate this.

I'm curious what the stats on a black hole gun would be

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Tau Devilfish skimmers specifically used to have a rule for landing gear that let them drop to the ground and keep all your fire warriors from getting shot in the shins.

*edit* Black Hole Gun, won’t you come, and bring a lot of pain~

Badablack fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 30, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Pendent posted:

Given that the repulsor sits off the table a bit there's a decent chance stuff shooting at those intercessors might still have LOS though.

Is this how it works? If you can see my guys ankles under a tank, you can shoot them?

So if I hang some cloth under my tank ... it stops my opponent from shooting them? ... or If I put rocks on the base up to the bottom of the hull?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

Is this how it works? If you can see my guys ankles under a tank, you can shoot them?

So if I hang some cloth under my tank ... it stops my opponent from shooting them? ... or If I put rocks on the base up to the bottom of the hull?

That's exactly how it works, yeah. It would be tough to fight without ankles to be fair.

Having stuff on the base would generally work but starts getting into the "modeling for advantage" territory a bit so I get a bit leery.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There's not a whole lot of ground clearance to shoot at ankles.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TheBigAristotle posted:

Normally Heavy 4 S8 AP-3 Dam3. If you roll a 1 before firing you take a mortal wound, if you roll a 6 it instead jumps to S16 AP-4 Dam6 per shot.

The Vulker re-roll doesn't let you avoid the mortal wound though, as it's not a hit roll.

Pendent posted:

That's exactly how it works, yeah. It would be tough to fight without ankles to be fair.

Having stuff on the base would generally work but starts getting into the "modeling for advantage" territory a bit so I get a bit leery.

Just buy a Rhino to shuffle sideways up the board in front of the Repulsor!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pendent posted:

Firing though the weird gravity field under a grav tank should also have a huge penalty to hit.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Maneck posted:

Firing though the weird gravity field under a grav tank should also have a huge penalty to hit.

Yes I certainly want to deal with that dumb as balls corner case when I'm trying to get a game done sometime today.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Naramyth posted:

Yes I certainly want to deal with that dumb as balls corner case when I'm trying to get a game done sometime today.

Rest in Piss, Fish of Fury

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's not a whole lot of ground clearance to shoot at ankles.

gently caress GW and their bullshit Primaris transport rules

Also the repulsor is ugly

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Stephenls posted:

Now that Imperial Knights are the topic of the day... was there a Knight House affiliated with Deliverance and the Raven Guard, or am I getting that confused with one of the 30k Titan Legions?

Not that I've found. I've got a Raven Guard force and my Admech are from Kiavhar

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Im currently building a Wraitguard Craftworld squad and i had a question. Should I give them D-scythe's or Wraithcannons?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

gently caress GW and their bullshit Primaris transport rules

Also the repulsor is ugly

The Repulsor is actually cool and good. I just put one together this past weekend and i'm working on a second one for my Ultramarines.

Speaking of, I want to do red casings for my weapons instead of the black. Any recommendations for a red recipe for that? I was thinking Mephiston Red, Carroburg Crimson wash, Wazdakka Red edge highlight and Wild Rider for corners.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I happen to have it on my phone!

quote:

Graviton singularity cannon
Range 36" Heavy 4 S8 AP -3 D 3

Roll a D6 each time before this weapon is fired. On a 1, the bearer suffers a mortal wound and the weapon fires normally (if the bearer survives this). On 2-5, the attack is carried out normally using its listed profile. On a 6, the weapon’s attacks are instead carried out at Strength 16, AP -4, Damage 6 instead of its normal profile.

I was misremembering it as a Gets Hot, the roll is a special check before you shoot so the forgeworld perk doesn't help. But it's not affected by other modifiers, so that's a wash.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Bob Wins posted:

Finally settled on a color scheme for my first army to get my feet wet. (Wanted to go with IG but I figured that might be biting off more than I could chew). Similar to a scheme I used in both Dawn of war 1 and 2, The "Corrosun Purifiers" General gist is that they were raised to defend a subsector of mostly agri-worlds left vulnerable by the opening of the great rift. Shortly after founding a splinter of Hive Fleet (Kronos or Tiamet haven't decided yet) showed up to nom the sector. While the Tyranids and corresponding Genestealer cults were repelled the chapter suffered tremendous losses. Apothecaries are now very common in the chapter as keeping losses low is paramount. Despite the losses they are very proud of their victory over the Tyranids and proudly display symbols of this, even skulls and claws from slain beasts on their armor.

Looking to make a pure primaris, mostly infantry based force with some apothecaries for flavor. I was also thinking of kit bashing some Tyranid warriors and gaunts to use as "decorative totems" on tanks and dreadnoughts. Haven't settled on a primarch or chapter of origin but I am leaning towards Imperial fists. I would love to do special ammo like the death watch aswell if there is anyway that can happen.

Heya. I wanted to respond to this yesterday but couldn't really think of a good way to illustrate it. Luckily, someone on Facebook posted some models that I think are a good modification of your scheme:

I feel like the gray you have is going to be a hard color to paint as a beginner; you're going to basecoast, shade, and highlight, and end up with models that look really similar to unpainted plastic. That'd be really frustrating. I think the black is a better way to go. The turquoise here (I think it's Sotek Green) also looks pretty good, though I think a less saturated blue than your image would look nice as well. I think your idea of a colored bolter casing is a better idea than the black one in this image. The silver eagle and red as pop colors will probably work better than the yellow, as that seems a little too overwhelming. I think your idea of colored inside shoulder pads and black borders is better than the ones in this image.

Going with Imperial Fists is a good idea with that backstory. I use Crimson Fists for my Rainbow Warriors and like it, but if you're going all Primaris there's not much difference if you don't have the birthday Captain.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 30, 2018

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is there a web app for making those colorschemes?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Bob Wins posted:

Finally settled on a color scheme for my first army to get my feet wet. (Wanted to go with IG but I figured that might be biting off more than I could chew). Similar to a scheme I used in both Dawn of war 1 and 2, The "Corrosun Purifiers" General gist is that they were raised to defend a subsector of mostly agri-worlds left vulnerable by the opening of the great rift. Shortly after founding a splinter of Hive Fleet (Kronos or Tiamet haven't decided yet) showed up to nom the sector. While the Tyranids and corresponding Genestealer cults were repelled the chapter suffered tremendous losses. Apothecaries are now very common in the chapter as keeping losses low is paramount. Despite the losses they are very proud of their victory over the Tyranids and proudly display symbols of this, even skulls and claws from slain beasts on their armor.

Looking to make a pure primaris, mostly infantry based force with some apothecaries for flavor. I was also thinking of kit bashing some Tyranid warriors and gaunts to use as "decorative totems" on tanks and dreadnoughts. Haven't settled on a primarch or chapter of origin but I am leaning towards Imperial fists. I would love to do special ammo like the death watch aswell if there is anyway that can happen.

Oh! Where did you find this template? Is this something available online? I have been wanting to paint Craftworld Iybraesil and cant really find a recent guide on what colors I need to paint them.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Naramyth posted:

The tank is supposed to have a weird gravity field under it. Using that as a justification to now allow shooting under tanks is going to save time. Otherwise people are going to have their heads on the table to figure out line of sight.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Im currently building a Wraitguard Craftworld squad and i had a question. Should I give them D-scythe's or Wraithcannons?

Depends on how you're using them. I like. D-scythes if they are riding in a serpent, but have also heard good things about webway striking wraithcannon guys in (haven't tried this myself yet).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I guess maybe in 9th edition GW will adopt “volume” style LOS rules

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are wraithblades any good?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Maneck posted:

The tank is supposed to have a weird gravity field under it. Using that as a justification to now allow shooting under tanks is going to save time. Otherwise people are going to have their heads on the table to figure out line of sight.

So do eldar everything, cusode jet bikes, Tau skimmers, land speeders, hell even hovering fliers could have a dust cloud. Not to be slippery slide but dude, its GW, it's not going to be consistent.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I am currently using a detachment of armigers as allies to pad out points for my main force of Sisters, and probably will get a knight soon because gently caress, the last couple pages made me want one.

I plan on starting an admech army at some point down the road.

Is there anything stopping me from using the knights as a Questor Mechanicus aligned house when using them with other armies? (Or Imperialis if aligned with admech?) I'm guessing the answer is going to be "wait until the codex drops", but if I plan on allying them with different imperial forces that seems like it might be important.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Naramyth posted:

So do eldar everything, cusode jet bikes, Tau skimmers, land speeders, hell even hovering fliers could have a dust cloud. Not to be slippery slide but dude, its GW, it's not going to be consistent.

I would have said just allow shooting under anything with the FLY keyword. But the repulsor has FLY. So you're right, there's no simple way to make it not stupid.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Heya. I wanted to respond to this yesterday but couldn't really think of a good way to illustrate it. Luckily, someone on Facebook posted some models that I think are a good modification of your scheme:

That paint scheme is spicy as hell, friggin love it

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Are wraithblades any good?

With swords and a spirit seer carrying the Iyanden relic I've seen mine do work. I think axes aren't worth it though.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, that black and blue is amazing. Those guys look like experts at murdering everything.

MSP makes a good point, grey is hard to do. I still struggle with it too. It looks good if done right, but man it's hard to do right.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Giant Isopod posted:

I am currently using a detachment of armigers as allies to pad out points for my main force of Sisters, and probably will get a knight soon because gently caress, the last couple pages made me want one.

I plan on starting an admech army at some point down the road.

Is there anything stopping me from using the knights as a Questor Mechanicus aligned house when using them with other armies? (Or Imperialis if aligned with admech?) I'm guessing the answer is going to be "wait until the codex drops", but if I plan on allying them with different imperial forces that seems like it might be important.

Currently I think the only difference is how the interact with AdMech, since you need the <QUESTOR MECHANICUS> keyword to use their strategems iirc. Outside of that I would not be too surprised if it ends up making no difference in 99% of lists taking a single Knight and people end up taking wherever is best for them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

MSP makes a good point, grey is hard to do. I still struggle with it too. It looks good if done right, but man it's hard to do right.

I have a lot of success with VMC Dark Gray, highlighted with VMC Basalt Gray, then glazed in Army Painter Dark Tone. That's how all the leather pieces on my Primaris are done.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
That paintjob is definitely helped by the background and even lighting though. Gimme a gallery of golden daemon award winning models photographed on a crappy gaming table with flickering fluorescent school lights.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Badablack posted:

That paintjob is definitely helped by the background and even lighting though. Gimme a gallery of golden daemon award winning models photographed on a crappy gaming table with flickering fluorescent school lights.

Bad lighting can make a well painted miniature look bad. The reverse, not so much.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
...Titan Legions don’t field Knights, do they? I mean, I’ve been assuming they don’t.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Titan Legions have lesser Knight Houses as attendents, clearing out small threats and drawing aggro like Armigers do for regular Knights.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I'd just like the Knights to be available to admech in a Supreme Command detachment. Having to be in a single superheavy auxiliary detachment stinks for army building purposes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's a team doubles tournament coming up next weekend at my FLGS, and I'm thinking about taking out some Deathwatch for the first time. I'm pairing up with a Guard player, and am trying to figure out whether we're going to have a decently balanced list or not.

I'm bringing:

Blood Angels Auxiliary Support Detachment (-1 CP)

HQ:
Captain with Jump Pack, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield (sue me, I play Blood Angels and haven't gotten to use this yet)

Deathwatch Battalion Detachment (+5 CP)

HQ:
Watch Master
Librarian

Troops:
5x Intercessors (Sergeant has Power Sword)
5x Intercessors
5x Intercessors

Heavy Support:
10x Hellblasters

My Guard partner is bringing the following:

Catachan Battalion Detachment (+5 CP)

HQ:
Company Commander
Company Commander

Troops:
Guard Squad
Guard Squad
Guard Squad

Fast Attack:
2x Hellhounds
3x Devil Dogs

Heavy Support:
2x Leman Russ Battle Tanks

What's missing? Do we have enough anti-tank? Enough anti-infantry?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

There's a team doubles tournament coming up next weekend at my FLGS, and I'm thinking about taking out some Deathwatch for the first time. I'm pairing up with a Guard player, and am trying to figure out whether we're going to have a decently balanced list or not.

I'm bringing:

Blood Angels Auxiliary Support Detachment (-1 CP)

HQ:
Captain with Jump Pack, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield (sue me, I play Blood Angels and haven't gotten to use this yet)

Deathwatch Battalion Detachment (+5 CP)

HQ:
Watch Master
Librarian

Troops:
5x Intercessors (Sergeant has Power Sword)
5x Intercessors
5x Intercessors

Heavy Support:
10x Hellblasters

My Guard partner is bringing the following:

Catachan Battalion Detachment (+5 CP)

HQ:
Company Commander
Company Commander

Troops:
Guard Squad
Guard Squad
Guard Squad

Fast Attack:
2x Hellhounds
3x Devil Dogs

Heavy Support:
2x Leman Russ Battle Tanks

What's missing? Do we have enough anti-tank? Enough anti-infantry?

We have a 2v2 Vanguard detachment tournament at the end of next month in my neck of the woods. Not exactly Deathwatch's forte, so I guess I'll just bring my Fists and lots of Termies and some Aggressors

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You're a little light on anti tank, I'd expect the Hellblasters to get focused down ASAP. You could try splitting them up to go with 2 Intercessor squads each, and drop all both down with the Watch Master to gain some ablative wounds. You might be diluting the +1 to wound stratagems in that case, though.

The Captain could be the crazed sole survivor of a Blood Angels strike force set against the Xenos, and the combined Deathwatch and IG Inquistion force is surprised to see him still alive. It could be thematic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh! Where did you find this template? Is this something available online? I have been wanting to paint Craftworld Iybraesil and cant really find a recent guide on what colors I need to paint them.

Here's a bunch of templates: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx6pC-tzilbIYTNGc21hSExRQ2c