Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If you're in good with a permanent member of the security council, then settler-colonialism is viable again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Office Pig posted:

what wait a minute what is this

its an op ed but with sources
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2018-05-30/israel-s-golan-annexation-deserves-u-s-recognition

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

doesn't that basically open the door to china declaring the south china sea theirs by virtue of having the most guns and saying enough nice things to trump

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qkkl posted:

does marriage in israel confer rights that civil unions don't? if not i don't see a problem, if you're not religious you can still get the rights.

civil unions are only available under very limited circumstances in Israel

the most common method is to leave the country and get married overseas, which the Supreme Court forced the government to recognize

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Forums Terrorist posted:

doesn't that basically open the door to china declaring the south china sea theirs by virtue of having the most guns and saying enough nice things to trump

isn't that what they're doing anyway?

bearbaiter
May 30, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

it's not like the UN or global opinions or anything besides an actual, material consequence would stop China from continuing to do that anyway, as seen by the fact that the UN and global opinions haven't stopped them already

lol if you think the US, UN, et al won't issue completely hypocritical condemnations of China while Israel ethnically cleanses gaza defends itself

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the IDF twitter is actually hilariously bad at propaganda

https://twitter.com/IDFSpokesperson/status/1002192418454765568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

a final solution, mayhaps?? :thunk:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ahahaha already deleted

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm getting page doesn't exist. Is this the guy crying over the damaged kindergarten?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

ahahaha already deleted

gently caress

it was a tweet about how the IDF found a sack of cement provided by the UNRWA in one of the ~Hamas Terror Tunnels~

it had a picture of the torn-up and empty sack, which was clearly labeled "Wheat Flour - Not For Sale"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I still really want to know what the gently caress a hamas terror tunnel is

is that just how they smuggle in food from the outside world since gaza has been under siege for most of its existence

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I still really want to know what the gently caress a hamas terror tunnel is

is that just how they smuggle in food from the outside world since gaza has been under siege for most of its existence

Hamas digs infiltration tunnels into Israel that they can launch attacks through behind the border fence. They were able to do a couple of those attacks during the last invasion of Gaza. Of course, they can just call every tunnel a "terror tunnel" and nobody in Western media is going to question it, because Hamas are terrorists - of course.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
found a screenshot

https://mobile.twitter.com/JudahAriGross/status/1002200546416250882

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Forums Terrorist posted:

this has already happened

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hamas digs infiltration tunnels into Israel that they can launch attacks through behind the border fence. They were able to do a couple of those attacks during the last invasion of Gaza. Of course, they can just call every tunnel a "terror tunnel" and nobody in Western media is going to question it, because Hamas are terrorists - of course.

hamas terror tunnel = commandos risk their lives sneaking into israel and instead of harming any civilians at all they try to kidnap an enemy soldier they can use in a prisoner swap

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Terror Tunnels

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eedName=topNews

quote:

Did Israel's 'Hannibal directive' lead to a war crime in Gaza?

The events unfolded just as a three-day ceasefire was supposed to come into force. Hamas militants emerged from a tunnel inside Gaza and ambushed three Israeli soldiers, killing two of them and seizing the third.

To rescue the soldier - dead or alive - and ensure Hamas could not use him as a hostage, the Israeli army invoked what is known as the “Hannibal directive”, an order compelling units to do everything they can to recover an abducted comrade.

What ensued was a furious assault on a confined area on the eastern edge of Rafah, the largest city in southern Gaza, home to around 200,000 people. Israeli artillery and tanks bombarded four neighborhoods for several hours - at times firing a shell a minute - while fighter jets carried out air strikes.
seems like a strange way to try to rescue someone without killing them but what do i know

quote:

But in a statement the Israel Defence Forces said: “There is no IDF directive or procedure which allows for a violation of international law, including the law of armed conflict

First Sgt. Toughguy here, speaking from the front lines I'm sure.

quote:

“That is why we used all the force. Anyone who kidnaps has to know he will pay a price. It was not revenge, they just messed with the wrong brigade.”

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

paul_soccer10 posted:

Terror Tunnels

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eedName=topNews

seems like a strange way to try to rescue someone without killing them but what do i know

That's because they misrepresent the order. Hannibal directive means you stop them from taking a living prisoner at all cost, even if you have to shoot the kidnapped soldier yourself.

Bear Retrieval Unit has issued a correction as of 20:11 on May 31, 2018

bearbaiter
May 30, 2011
killing myself after being kidnapped, to own hamas

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

That's because they misrepresent the order. Hannibal directive means you stop them from taking a living prisoner at all cost, even if you have to shoot the kidnapped soldier yourself.

Not quite, it means everything must be done to try and prevent the soldier from being captured as long as there is a chance, even if it's a very small chance, that the soldier will survive. Actions that would 100% result in the death of the soldier are prohibited.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

a final solution, mayhaps?? :thunk:

The israeli state was basically a example of culturally appropriating the Third Reich.

Let's have our own ironic version of the Warsaw ghetto concept.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

qkkl posted:

Not quite, it means everything must be done to try and prevent the soldier from being captured as long as there is a chance, even if it's a very small chance, that the soldier will survive. Actions that would 100% result in the death of the soldier are prohibited.

people have survived firebombing therefore

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

qkkl posted:

That's the line they give when people suggest killing your own soldier is kinda hosed up, not what they actually practice.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Main Paineframe posted:

time for a bit of a gear change: i feel like talkin about get refusal

I've mentioned this before, but there is no secular civil marriage in Israel. only religious marriages performed by state-recognized religious organizations are recognized as marriages in Israel. and not all religious dominations have official state-recognized organizations in Israel.

the important part for this subject is that only one Jewish denomination is officially recognized by Israel: Orthodox Judaism, as interpreted by the Israeli Chief Rabbinate. if you're a Reform Jew, you literally can't get married in Israel unless you get an official Orthodox conversion carried out by a Rabbinate-approved Orthodox rabbi, and then hold an observant Orthodox ceremony which rigidly follows Orthodox rules and requirements. the rabbinate is pretty strict, so you can't really fudge it

okay, so that was all backstory. now we come to the problem: since Israel doesn't have civil marriage, it doesn't have civil divorce either. in Orthodox Judaism, only the husband can initiate a divorce (by providing a divorce document known as a "get"). there is no other way to terminate a properly-performed strictly Orthodox marriage, so according to Orthodox Jewish law, it is literally impossible to end the marriage without the husband's active cooperation. in other words, a husband who is inclined to do so can forcibly keep a woman in a marriage against her will, whether to demand favorable divorce conditions or just to torment her. in most countries, this doesn't matter as much because they have their own civil divorce processes where the legal marriage can be terminated regardless of religious status, but Israel doesn't have that, so the religious conditions essentially have legal force

a woman who's stuck in this situation can petition her case to a rabbinical court to ask them to order the husband to grant divorce, but the rabbinical authorities can't actually terminate the marriage either. they can't even really push the husband too hard, since Orthodox law dictates that forcing the man to offer a divorce invalidates that divorce. all they can do is call down social pressure by publicly declaring the husband to be a big jerk who other Orthodox Jews should avoid and be mean to. However, others are under no obligation to obey those public-shaming rulings, so they're a poor substitute for actual divorce, as shown when a MK recently invited someone under a public-shaming ruling to the Knesset.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/mk-invites-divorce-refuser-to-knesset-female-lawmakers-boycott-his-speech/

in Israel, the rabbinical courts do have a little extra recourse: despite being purely religious entities with no relation to the actual judicial system, they have the legal authority to jail people who refuse to comply with certain rabbinical court rulings, such as divorce rulings. even that, though, isn't a substitute for actual divorce. just ask Zvia Gordesky, who's been waiting for divorce for 17 years

https://www.timesofisrael.com/refused-a-divorce-for-17-years-hunger-striker-takes-fight-to-knesset/

Shout out to the actual one secular full democracy in the Middle East.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37321298

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Grape posted:

Shout out to the actual one secular full democracy in the Middle East.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37321298

Yeah Cyprus is uhhh really good! Good thinking!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Yeah Cyprus is uhhh really good! Good thinking!

The Cyprus dispute is the old fat lazy Bassett hound of ethnic land conflicts. It hasn't chased a rabbit in decades and mostly just farts, yawns, and rolls on its back to get belly rubs all day.
100% of any drama is a foreign export from Sultan Shithead up north.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1002085395931324416

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

You know if Bibi is dumb enough to take on Hizbellah in a actual fight like 06. I just can imagine how the Hannibal doctrine is just going to end bad for easily dozens of IDF personal.

:lol: Mossad cucking Bibi.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

when you're too warmongery for Mossad

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the PM isn't even the commander-in-chief of the IDF, bibi was just trying to use his clout to get the Mossad to do what he wants, which i guess was some covert strike on iran's enrichment site(s)?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Tfw your satellite state is pushing for nuclear war because you've spent decades protecting and cultivating a culture of supremacy and victimization

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think the friends of israel day march is coming up soon in nyc, its usually in june. I wonder if theres any protests this year. Normally its just a sea of racist families

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Apparently they're going to display Israel's flag and propaganda about how great Israel is on the Times Square screens

(For four minutes)

Wonder if they're slingshot-proof

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i came to laugh at the hamas terror tunnel

finally hamas unleashed the gates of hell

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
next you'll be laughing at the fearsome Hamas navy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hamas frogmen were actually able to infiltrate Israel before they all got killed. I'm not being glib here, it was pretty impressive.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Just to make sure, were any of the people killed in Gaza during protests armed or sent by Hamas, or am I correct in assuming it's total BS?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Just to make sure, were any of the people killed in Gaza during protests armed or sent by Hamas, or am I correct in assuming it's total BS?

Hamas organized the protest, so "sent" is like half correct. If so who cares, it was a protest on their own territory

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there were a couple dudes reported to have fired guns but any one who cares is evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hamas frogmen were actually able to infiltrate Israel before they all got killed. I'm not being glib here, it was pretty impressive.

not surprised that the IDF has a literal honest-to-god Sea Patrol