Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

Almost all of that was made in the hype before the game released and people thought it was going to be good and were desperate to enjoy it. I think there's only like one dedicated destiny discord, all the others share double duty with other games like vermintide and marvel mobile games. As lame as the OP is, that attitude has not persisted in the wake of the game being bad.

EDIT: Also there's multiple discords because people just kept making more for some reason. Then they'd make another one to consolidate all of the discords together. Then someone would make one to consolidate them all, plus that one. Most of it stems from the fact that destiny clans cap at 100 people and when the game first launched we had like four or five full clans and you were rewarded for playing with your clan, not with randoms.

This is the first post of the thread that was updated Sunday.

quote:

:ducksiren: May 8th, 2018 is here!! GET YOUR rear end, DICK, AND BALLS TO MARS BECAUSE WARMIND EXPANSION 2 IS Here!!!!! :ducksiren:

Still gonna pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Seemed like something that was going to be opened up via dlc but...welp.

I started the game after the news had already broken that they wouldn't be continuing the series and poo poo, that was what dragged it down for me. All those choices you're making in this series famed for long term consequences? Yeah haha none of that poo poo is going to matter lol sorry.

In some twisted way it makes sense cause wouldn’t the scourge just destroy everything? But couldn’t they at least make a game where everyone dies or something?

Anyways I’m restarting the game cause I have no memory of the beginning and I am angry about physics. Ok so Andromeda is 600 light years away so you’re going to travel there. It takes 600 years. Game says “600 years later” But it’s actually 1200 YEARS because those first 600 have already passed! So you’re at Andromeda 1200 years since you scanned it! Why does this game not even—oh yeah it’s EA and they couldn’t open an Astronomy 101 textbook.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

Still gonna pass

To be fair, you should have said that about the game in general. Ten big macs would have been a more worthwhile investment, honestly.

I like the part where streamers who get paid to play 24/7 complained it was too easy for casual scrubs to reach max level so now they just made every activity in the game utterly worthless to play outside of once a week milestones that reward you with random upgrades. Right before the expansion released they had a special emergency meeting with a bunch of streamers and took their feedback as gospel, so an activity that previously had been balanced for an average team was considered "too easy" and now requires a full group of nine players to play. Oh, but they didn't alter any of the content revolving around this activity. So you still get a quest to complete ten waves of it even though virtually no one plays it outside of fixed, deliberate groups who harass any randoms out of the map so they can reload until their friends show up in the instance.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It is important to remember that the only difference between a "random pubbie" and a goon is that the goon paid :10bux: to post here, goons aren't inherently good at games or have worthwhile opinions about them or whatever just because you found them here

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

suuma posted:

It is important to remember that the only difference between a "random pubbie" and a goon is that the goon paid :10bux: to post here, goons aren't inherently good at games or have worthwhile opinions about them or whatever just because you found them here

I mean, if it's an MMO or something then having an in-built community guild that can help you progress is kind of important. But for a game like Destiny 2 it doesn't really matter at all. Especially after they've nerfed clan rewards.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
When you're a rando, there is much less social pressure too perform and/or not be a chode compared to being in a group of peers- a group of peers can kick you out, and you lose your community. Humans are built to be tribal like that.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I got Destiny 2 for 12 bucks in the humble monthly thing. I think thats a fair price!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Shai-Hulud posted:

I got Destiny 2 for 12 bucks in the humble monthly thing. I think thats a fair price!

I got Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 for $12, and it came with a free copy of Destiny 2. I'm okay with that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

The Secret World, too.

I hate crafting systems in general. I think they have their place, namely survival games, but I hate how omnipresent they've become in games, especially RPGs.

The one time I've seen crafting be genuinely good was in Megaman Legends, where it is used as a 'no, fucker, you gotta find two things before you unlock a new gun' system. Basically you explore dungeons to find the game's treasure chests and item stashes, sometimes they've got money or consumable items, but sometimes they've got junk, and sometimes the junk is one of the whole-game collectible marathon items, and sometimes it's a piece for one of the game's guns; some of 'em take one piece, most take two, and a few take three. Each piece hand-placed with all the good grace and care that Capcom is known for, but spread out enough to get you to realise the cool ominousness of all the dungeons being secretly connected into one interlocking behemoth. So your driver to explore is not having hundred-percented it yet not knowing if the next treasure chest you find is gonna give you the last piece of the grenade shotgun or whatever.

That said the fact that the micro-missile gun's infinite ammo upgrade takes more money than the rest of the entire upgrade system combined is just total shite, since that thing is fun as hell but it chews through its ammo bar like a fat kid through a twinkie.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Super mega baseball 2 is being dragged down at the moment for me because the official forums were moved to Reddit. The Reddit format makes it hard to have any discussion on the game since threads get buried so quickly.

Everyone loves posting their created team logos (which can't even be shared) so there were 4 posts from on guy showing each of his Hogwarts house teams, a million MLB logo posts, screenshots of game scores and crap like that, getting in the way of actual discussions about bugs/gameplay/features.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

suuma posted:

The ability to pay :10bux: is a significant filter though

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if anything it shows that you're less likely to make good decisions

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started trying to play Link To The Past, and just rescued Zelda right at the start, but something it does set a misleading precedent if, like everyone at the time of release, you'd only played the first 2 games at most, because it's the first game that introduces Heart Pieces.

In Zelda 1 you find entire Heart Containers in certain areas, and in Zelda 2 you level up your health via RPG levelling (only seen LPs of those two because I suck at them). The problem is this - in LTTP, in the first chest after escaping Hyrule Castle, what do you get?

The game straight up gives you a Heart Container in the chest in the Hyrule Chapel when you first get out of the passage. It's just right there, a full container. It's a weird way to introduce the health upgrade mechanic - it could have confused people used to the first game where you always got the entire container every time as LTTP is the first game to separate most of them into 4 pieces. New players may get the wrong idea from the start there, and get annoyed when it later turns out you actually need to find 4 of them per container from then on. It's a strange choice.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started trying to play Link To The Past, and just rescued Zelda right at the start, but something it does set a misleading precedent if, like everyone at the time of release, you'd only played the first 2 games at most, because it's the first game that introduces Heart Pieces.

In Zelda 1 you find entire Heart Containers in certain areas, and in Zelda 2 you level up your health via RPG levelling (only seen LPs of those two because I suck at them). The problem is this - in LTTP, in the first chest after escaping Hyrule Castle, what do you get?

The game straight up gives you a Heart Container in the chest in the Hyrule Chapel when you first get out of the passage. It's just right there, a full container. It's a weird way to introduce the health upgrade mechanic - it could have confused people used to the first game where you always got the entire container every time as LTTP is the first game to separate most of them into 4 pieces. New players may get the wrong idea from the start there, and get annoyed when it later turns out you actually need to find 4 of them per container from then on. It's a strange choice.

This makes the game easier in the beginning, when you have far less tools and options to make the game easier.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bioenchanted you should play the best Zelda, Link's Awakening.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd figured that but it sets a precedent if you aren't used to hearts coming in parts. On that note I'd love a grimdark Zelda where you get individual Heart Pieces (You got a Left Ventricle! Dadadadaaaaaa!)

Also I played some of Links Awakening. I tend to play a bunch of a Zelda then just put it down so figured I'd try to beat a few. Just thought that was an interesting nitpick of a 20 year old game :v:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

On that note I'd love a grimdark Zelda where you get individual Heart Pieces (You got a Left Ventricle! Dadadadaaaaaa!)

Darksiders kinda dropped the ball on that one. The currency you use are Souls of the humans that died on the Apocalypse and you also heal with some of them but the actual Health Upgrades are with "Life Stones"

You do rip the still-beating heart of the first Boss you kill to offer it to Samael tho, so that's a plus.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Ive been posting about Wolfenstein lately and started New Order.

Early in the game I have to pick a guy to have killed. I looked at the scene, studied the area and thought there was some trick to it, like one dude could reach a knife or some poo poo and stab nazis, but nope. Seems entirely random. Hope my choice didn't gently caress up my run.

Sorry, Wyatt.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BiggerBoat posted:

Ive been posting about Wolfenstein lately and started New Order.

Early in the game I have to pick a guy to have killed. I looked at the scene, studied the area and thought there was some trick to it, like one dude could reach a knife or some poo poo and stab nazis, but nope. Seems entirely random. Hope my choice didn't gently caress up my run.

Sorry, Wyatt.

You didn’t gently caress up the run, the game has two distinct timelines and different upgrades and plot beats for each. The third option of “don’t pick anyone” just gets you killed. (Old Blood does this at a few points too but it’s much more subtle about how you make the choice.)

The core of it all stays the same but with Fergus surviving you get health upgrades hidden in each level instead of armor, and a different side character in the main base.

The two timelines stick around in New Colossus too, though it just makes you do the TNO scene again to pick. It also seems heavily implied that they’re going to re-converge somehow in the third one, which should be fun. :getin:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Honestly it boils down to Fergus is better than Wyatt but Wyatt has the better supporting npc.

It's Hendrix

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dewgy posted:

You didn’t gently caress up the run, the game has two distinct timelines and different upgrades and plot beats for each. The third option of “don’t pick anyone” just gets you killed. (Old Blood does this at a few points too but it’s much more subtle about how you make the choice.)

The core of it all stays the same but with Fergus surviving you get health upgrades hidden in each level instead of armor, and a different side character in the main base.

Right on. Thanks. I didn't think it was a game breaker but it just seemed so random. Thought there was some weapon laying nearby or one guy had a free arm to get me out of it, like the game was making study the environment carefully or look for a clue.

Now I just hate that nazi motherfucker and want to shoot his dumb stupid nazi face because he made me kill my friend.

Wyatt will not die in vain.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hellblade, I like you, I want to love you, but it is not cool to tell me "if you die too much, we're deleting all your progress." And its really not cool to then also toss me into a combat in the middle of an area that I need to escape within a time limit, one that you didn't loving tell me about!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ShootaBoy posted:

Hellblade, I like you, I want to love you, but it is not cool to tell me "if you die too much, we're deleting all your progress."

I died at least sixty times in my playthrough of that game and it didn't delete my save. I'm not sure what the criteria are to trigger it but even my terrible-at-video-games rear end couldn't do it. Lots of places I've read have said the same thing.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Something seems wrong here. I've heard of this game you're playing

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Memento posted:

I died at least sixty times in my playthrough of that game and it didn't delete my save. I'm not sure what the criteria are to trigger it but even my terrible-at-video-games rear end couldn't do it. Lots of places I've read have said the same thing.

I've heard about that elsewhere - apparently The game is lying

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Len posted:

Honestly it boils down to Fergus is better than Wyatt but Wyatt has the better supporting npc.

It's Hendrix

He also has a much better subplot in TNC. But Fergus is the most entertaining NPC in both games so its still a toss up.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BioEnchanted posted:

Yep, which is thematically kind of brilliant. MAJOR SPOILER FOR HELLBLADE It’s not like any of the enemies actually exist anyway, so it makes sense that the threat of permadeath for failure isn’t real either.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

BioEnchanted posted:

Ok that fits in with the themes of the game and all, but still, that's kind of an rear end in a top hat move, because there are games that very much will pull that kinda thing.

And I'm still not forgiving them for not telling me that thing was timed :colbert:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
What thing was timed?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

A specific kind of door. You do a thing and the whole area lights on fire and you have to book it back to the door. As this was only the second one, I didn't know it was timed, but after I won the little fight right before the door, I took two steps towards, burst into flames, died, and respawned back at the thing you do.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ShootaBoy posted:

A specific kind of door. You do a thing and the whole area lights on fire and you have to book it back to the door. As this was only the second one, I didn't know it was timed, but after I won the little fight right before the door, I took two steps towards, burst into flames, died, and respawned back at the thing you do.

Thankfully none of the Bad Parts of Hellblade last long enough to seriously dampen the experience as a whole, and the good bits are that much brighter because of them.

Learn the counter->heavy and keep it close to your heart.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Somfin posted:

Thankfully none of the Bad Parts of Hellblade last long enough to seriously dampen the experience as a whole, and the good bits are that much brighter because of them.

Learn the counter->heavy and keep it close to your heart.

Sadly I have to disagree personally, the bad parts really killed the experience for me so much that I didn't bother to finish it. The bad parts were mostly the puzzle where the solution seems to pretty much always be "slowly take the longest route between point A and B" or the fact that a game about a disability couldn't even get subtitles right, most are missing and the ones that exist are wrong or mistimed, even some necessary game info is voice only.

Also unless they patched it the best combo for non-Focus enemies is the Dodge->Attack->cancel into Dodge -> repeat since in kills quickly and makes you functionally invincible. So unless you run out of focus and need to risk a parry there is never any real risk in combat even locked on hardest.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Uh Hellblade is not lying. But, as others have said, you dying in combat does not count.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BioEnchanted posted:

It would be most accurate to say that the so-called permadeath message isn't lying, it just isn't what you think.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Dewgy posted:

Yep, which is thematically kind of brilliant. MAJOR SPOILER FOR HELLBLADE It’s not like any of the enemies actually exist anyway, so it makes sense that the threat of permadeath for failure isn’t real either.
This isn't entirely clear. The entire game makes the point that objective reality is extremely hard to define. The end cinematic is not in a place we've seen in any of the flashbacks (I think?) and explicitly features a mountainous landscape, different from the flashbacks to Senua's village. It seems clear to me that Senua has traveled somewhere, and it makes sense that many of the events that happened during play could have been real but heavily distorted due to her hallucinations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Sniper Party posted:

This isn't entirely clear. The entire game makes the point that objective reality is extremely hard to define. The end cinematic is not in a place we've seen in any of the flashbacks (I think?) and explicitly features a mountainous landscape, different from the flashbacks to Senua's village. It seems clear to me that Senua has traveled somewhere, and it makes sense that many of the events that happened during play could have been real but heavily distorted due to her hallucinations.

The entire message of the game is that everything Senua experiences is real, because for those suffering from mental illness there is no reality apart from the one they see and feel. Senua really went into viking hell, killed a couple lesser gods, reforged an ancient sword and bargained with the guardian of the underworld, as those are her actual lived experiences and we're never allowed to see outside them. There's no camera pan at the end that shows you what ~really~ happened, because all those things really happened within Senua's own mind.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Yeah that's fair, I definitely misworded that. But while I agree everything that happened is real for her, I've also seen a lot of people represent the ending as "it was all in her head", which I think was shown to be explicitly false by the ending. Had we seen Senua in her village at the end, it would have separated the player's experience from Senua's by implying that the events were only real for her. Since we see her in a new environment, the events are left as real for the player as they are for Senua.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hellblade starts with the message "The dark rot will grow each time you fail. If the rot reaches Senua’s head, her quest is over. And all progress will be lost." which is completely true. It's just that dying in combat isn't what it considers to be a failure'.

Also it's a really amazing game that everyone should play, preferably in the dark with headphones on or a decent 5.1/7.1 setup.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sniper Party posted:

Yeah that's fair, I definitely misworded that. But while I agree everything that happened is real for her, I've also seen a lot of people represent the ending as "it was all in her head", which I think was shown to be explicitly false by the ending. Had we seen Senua in her village at the end, it would have separated the player's experience from Senua's by implying that the events were only real for her. Since we see her in a new environment, the events are left as real for the player as they are for Senua.

Yeah, the novel and refreshing thing about the way Hellblade portrays mental illness is that it actively resists the "it was all in her head!" trope that's so common in horror games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Hellblade starts with the message "The dark rot will grow each time you fail. If the rot reaches Senua’s head, her quest is over. And all progress will be lost." which is completely true. It's just that dying in combat isn't what it considers to be a failure'.

Also it's a really amazing game that everyone should play, preferably in the dark with headphones on or a decent 5.1/7.1 setup.

I didn't die to the combat, though. I died because the combat ran out the invisible timer I was never told about and I burned to death.

I really would like to know for sure what the hell is up, because I'd rather not spend time on it if I'm always running the risk of ending up at square one.