Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm considerably excited for Overload's release tomorrow, despite the fact that I gave up on both Descent 1 & 2 about halfway in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

chaosapiant posted:

Is there an advantage to using GZDoom over Zdoom, or vice versa? I'm using GZDoom now but it seems to not get as much mention as Zdoom so want to make sure I'm using one of the better/widely used/compatible ports.

For whatever reason zdoom plays better on my old rear end laptop than gz set to software renderer, but outside of a niche case like that gz is what you should be using

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Mordja posted:

I'm considerably excited for Overload's release tomorrow, despite the fact that I gave up on both Descent 1 & 2 about halfway in.

That's exactly the reason I'm not planning on getting it, Descent games have never kept my attention the whole way through. I just noticed that they have a demo on steam though so I might check it out

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
In my case it was a problem of later levels, specifically later enemy types and placement just getting bullshit hard.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

ArcturusDeluxe posted:

I wish more of the Doom 2 hell levels were like that, a lot of them are kind of indistinct theme-wise and could have easily been part of the city levels.

Agreed. Like I said I like Doom II better overall but its Hell levels really weren't as distinct and notable as Doom 1's. It had some that properly caught the feel of being in an otherworldly place like Nirvana, The Chasm, and Gotcha!, but it was pretty much a fifty-fifty split between those and the ones that barely looked out of place from the levels that were explicitly still on regular old Earth but with more slime or blood. For every Spirit World where they went out of their way to make sure we could tell at a glance it was in Hell, there was an equal number of Abandoned Mines where they didn't give half a poo poo and just made a regular old cave with maybe one room that used Doom episode 3 textures.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I thought only the last couple of Doom 2 levels were in Hell, levels like Abandoned Mines are actually on Earth still.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

For whatever reason zdoom plays better on my old rear end laptop than gz set to software renderer, but outside of a niche case like that gz is what you should be using

Turns out that the kind of code optimization that worked well in the Pentium II era are causing performance loss on 2010s CPUs, and inversely the optimizations that give better performances on modern hardware are tanking FPS on older hardware.

There's been a number of benchmarks done since Randi retired that showed old hand-optimized assembly were not worth keeping around; and inversely more recent optimizations attempts have caused all sort of problems for old hardware.

There's someone going by the alias of drfrag who's working on various updates of the old ZDoom code, aiming to keep it working on old hardware that GZDoom is abandoning.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The Chasm never felt like a properly Hell level at all. The overwhelming majority of the texture usage is of the base/earth variety. If it's on the other side of the Hell portal, it must be something like a big slime treatment/storage plant that got pulled through into Hell and has only just started to be subverted, but frankly I don't give Sandy Petersen the benefit of the doubt that he actually thought it through to that extent.

RyokoTK posted:

I thought only the last couple of Doom 2 levels were in Hell, levels like Abandoned Mines are actually on Earth still.

The text crawl makes it pretty clear that you cross the portal into Hell at the end of map20, but unfortunately they didn't fully make the effort to curate the level designs to reinforce that impression. I understand that id probably didn't care super hard about the story, but in Doom 1 and in Quake, they at least understood what an episode theme was and how to stick to it. In Doom 2, they got super sloppy with that for some reason.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 30, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

There's someone going by the alias of drfrag who's working on various updates of the old ZDoom code, aiming to keep it working on old hardware that GZDoom is abandoning.
You can find these here. He's considered part of the ZDoom Development Team now, so odds are his fork will be promoted to ZDoom.org or whatever soon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

You can find these here. He's considered part of the ZDoom Development Team now, so odds are his fork will be promoted to ZDoom.org or whatever soon.

Just so I'm clear, looking at the changelog this is a fork mainly to add bugfixes to zdoom, but does not backport GZ functionality to, say, allow gzdoom mods to work under zdoom?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looking forward to seeing people's impressions of Overload. I like Descent but I also like not getting lost, so I'm hoping the level design won't be too confusing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

Just so I'm clear, looking at the changelog this is a fork mainly to add bugfixes to zdoom, but does not backport GZ functionality to, say, allow gzdoom mods to work under zdoom?
Basically, think of it as continued maintenance of the last pre-ZScript versions of the engine with a focus on "legacy" systems.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cat Mattress posted:

Just assume that when people talk about ZDoom, and it's not explicitly about a specific old version of the program, they actually talk about GZDoom. It's kind of like how when people say PrBoom, they usually actually mean PrBoom+.

ZDoom+. I mean, it happened to PRBoom. History can repeat itself.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Been studying canon Doom timelines lately and want to see if this is the correct order of the games:

Doom 3-> Doom->Doom II->Final Doom-Doom64->Doom2016

I'm going to do a run through of all these games in this order so the rip and tear in DOOM16 is more cathartic. It's also a billion levels of DOOM.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

chaosapiant posted:

Been studying canon Doom timelines lately and want to see if this is the correct order of the games:

Doom 3-> Doom->Doom II->Final Doom-Doom64->Doom2016

I'm going to do a run through of all these games in this order so the rip and tear in DOOM16 is more cathartic. It's also a billion levels of DOOM.

Doom 3 is a reimagining of the Doom 1 events as far as I know. Otherwise this is accurate.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Doom3 is an independent timeline an in essence a retelling of Doom1. Doom4 is confusingly both related and unrelated to the rest of the timeline, as it sort of implies it's after Doom64 and even references it, but it otherwise doesn't actually say if it (or the rest) happened.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rocket Pan posted:

Doom4 is confusingly both related and unrelated to the rest of the timeline, as it sort of implies it's after Doom64 and even references it, but it otherwise doesn't actually say if it (or the rest) happened.

Yeah, though everyone likes believe it's in the same continuity because it works and is incredibly badass.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mak0rz posted:

Doom 3 is a reimagining of the Doom 1 events as far as I know. Otherwise this is accurate.

I've read this and also read it's a prequel. Since the story is just different enough I like to have a head canon for these games. Since Doom3 is restricted to Mars and Doom1+2 is the Mars moons and Earth, i'll just pretend it comes first because YEA!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
where does hDoom fit in the canon, guessing before Final Doom?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Convex posted:

where does hDoom fit in the canon, guessing before Final Doom?

What is hDoom?

Edit: NVM!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chaosapiant posted:

What is hDoom?

classic :discourse:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

There is no canon Doom timeline across all the games, the games don't fit together to form a nice little puzzle box, deal with it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

chaosapiant posted:

What is hDoom?

:lol:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the best timeline is that every wad you ever played took place between doom64 and doom 4

site fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 31, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I always imagined that Doom 3 was supposed to be a 'soft reboot' of the Doom franchise in the era before soft reboots for IPs became a major thing that happens.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 31, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mordja posted:

Wait, poo poo, that's tomorrow?

I punted on Descent 2 due to terrible level design, but I enjoyed Descent 1 and 3 a great deal, so I'm cautiously excited for Overload.

site posted:

the best timeline is that after doom64, every wad you ever played took place before doom 4

This is kind of how I've been thinking of it. The reason Hell is such an empty wasteland and the demons are scared so shitless of Doomguy is that until they finally managed to temporarily inconvenience him by dropping a building on him and then sealing him in the sarcophagus, he just kept showing up for increasingly bullshit reasons and kicking their heads in.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, poo poo, that's tomorrow?

I punted on Descent 2 due to terrible level design, but I enjoyed Descent 1 and 3 a great deal, so I'm cautiously excited for Overload.

Descent 2 had such an amazing soundtrack though!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

CJacobs posted:

I always imagined that Doom 3 was supposed to be a 'soft reboot' of the Doom franchise in the era before soft reboots for IPs became a major thing that happens.

It is. It is quite explicitly a new take on Doom's initial story, they even said so in interviews.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dang, apparently some guy smoked the current DooM 64 speedrun record by 11 minutes.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/267448690

The production value on the stream is rad as hell.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Linguica posted:

There is no canon Doom timeline across all the games, the games don't fit together to form a nice little puzzle box, deal with it

Doom/Doom 3 > Thy Flesh Consumed > Doom 2/No Rest for the Living > Plutonia/TNT > Doom 64 > Quake 3 > Doom 4 > Quake Champions > Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

This is canon btw

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm always delighted whenever I'm reminded that Doomguy was in loving Tony Hawk

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We need Marphy Black to come tell us which Doom goes in which order based on the color of Doomguy's gloves and elbow pads.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CJacobs posted:

We need Marphy Black to come tell us which Doom goes in which order based on the color of Doomguy's gloves and elbow pads.

What’s this?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TerminusEst13 posted:

Doom/Doom 3 > Thy Flesh Consumed > Doom 2/No Rest for the Living > Plutonia/TNT > Doom 64 > Quake 3 > Doom 4 > Quake Champions > Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

This is canon btw

Mak0rz posted:

I'm always delighted whenever I'm reminded that Doomguy was in loving Tony Hawk

:eyepop: I actually didn't know this because I was still a console only babby when THPS 3 was out.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wamdoodle posted:

:eyepop: I actually didn't know this because I was still a console only babby when THPS 3 was out.

drat, same. I thought that Darth Maul and Tony Hawk’s strange mutant children were the biggest secrets in that. :aaaaa:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chaosapiant posted:

What’s this?

Doomguy's gloves change from brown to black a couple times in the series. Most recently they're black in Quake Champions. Internet goodman Marphy Black has made note of these heinous errors.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Overload releases in just over 30 mins!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What the gently caress? Doomguy skated with Tony Hawk?! :psyduck:

This is the first I'm hearing of it. Weird.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What the gently caress? Doomguy skated with Tony Hawk?! :psyduck:

This is the first I'm hearing of it. Weird.
Was added to the PC version of Tony Hawk 3 as a platform-exclusive secret character if you typed "IDKFA" into the cheat entry screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Was added to the PC version of Tony Hawk 3 as a platform-exclusive secret character if you typed "IDKFA" into the cheat entry screen.

Wow.

Doomguy, ripping, tearing, AND shredding.

"Gleaming the Soul Cube".