Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

I'm curious if anyone can figure out what game this is supposed to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eu-bHxLNys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for an 80's DOS program that was either a lovely game or some sort of demo or screensaver. It's just a fish tank with saltwater or tropical fish in it. I recall being able to choose the number of fish or something but nothing else. I suspect it may have just been an early screensaver.

Not sure if it's quite the right era but it sounds like the kind of thing that would have been in Flying Toasters After Dark. There were a ton of different screensavers that came with that, and most were pretty customizable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Octal posted:

I'm curious if anyone can figure out what game this is supposed to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eu-bHxLNys

Wouldn’t it be lovely if they just sourced the loving game in the description?

Anyway the activity is called bakuten, Japanese back handsprings. Looks like ps1 cinemas and Konami made a bunch of those gymnastics games in multiple volumes. Like volume 3 is “monster box” and they probably have a bakuten exclusive title. Start there.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
It's this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNUR9jobH8&t=585s

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

aniviron posted:

Not sure if it's quite the right era but it sounds like the kind of thing that would have been in Flying Toasters After Dark. There were a ton of different screensavers that came with that, and most were pretty customizable.

I checked After Dark, it does have a fish screen saver but it's not the one I'm looking for. The one I'm after has more of a fish tank look. It would've had to run in DOS on an old 80386 processor.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for an 80's DOS program that was either a lovely game or some sort of demo or screensaver. It's just a fish tank with saltwater or tropical fish in it. I recall being able to choose the number of fish or something but nothing else. I suspect it may have just been an early screensaver.

Not just thinking of the fishbowls in Alley Cat? Fish were just a few pixels though I think.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Freakazoid_ posted:

It wouldn't happen to be this or perhaps this, would it?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MMAgCh posted:

It wouldn't happen to be this or perhaps this, would it?

The first link is the one I was looking for, thanks!

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I have a weird request for a game. This game is something that isn't on any console or home PC, and is only demoed at indy booths conventions like PAX. It involves two human players, and one AI player. The first human player looks into a camera, and has to show an emotion. The second human player and the AI player watch the first player, and compete to identify the first player's emotion.

I heard about the game on a podcast, where they also discussed the "backstory" of the game, but I can't remember if this was a joke or not. The story was that the two human players are prisoners in a dystopian future, and they are trying to communicate without the AI realizing what they are conveying.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pretty sure I saw that once, on some video about an expo or whatever where they showcased games with unusual control schemes. There was an AI doing facial recognition, and two players had to face each other through a box and communicate with facial expressions - but avoiding the normal ones, because the AI would pick up on those little subtleties

I'm trying to think of some of the other games to make searching easier, but I'm drawing a blank. Doesn't help that a lot of it worked like Nintendo's Labo stuff so I'm probably confusing the two, it was a while ago. I feel like the video I saw was probably OutsideXbox or OutsideXtra on YouTube though!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
90s 2D (I think) galleon ship game.
Where you had to kill the other sailing ships by just going around them and keeping them in the firing arc of your cannons.
You could see the firing arcs too, I remember that.

Its not Overboard! but something like it, it wasn't 3D from what I remember.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sounds like Cutthroats but I don't remember firing arcs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Where you had to kill the other sailing ships by just going around them and keeping them in the firing arc of your cannons.

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tenik posted:

I have a weird request for a game. This game is something that isn't on any console or home PC, and is only demoed at indy booths conventions like PAX. It involves two human players, and one AI player. The first human player looks into a camera, and has to show an emotion. The second human player and the AI player watch the first player, and compete to identify the first player's emotion.

I heard about the game on a podcast, where they also discussed the "backstory" of the game, but I can't remember if this was a joke or not. The story was that the two human players are prisoners in a dystopian future, and they are trying to communicate without the AI realizing what they are conveying.

Oh here you go bud

https://shakethatbutton.com/emotional-fugitive-detector/

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

That's it, thanks!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

happyhippy posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates! (also re-released as Pirates! Gold) from the 80s (90s) prior to the reinvention/re-re-release by firaxis in the early 00s.
Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas (notably different from Pirates! mostly in that land attacks on cities were an RTS game all their own, among a few other embellishments)
Uncharted Waters 1 or 2 (90s), for a variety of systems but notably both Sega Genesis and SNES; UW2 has 6 characters with their own storylines/victory conditions and has TURN BASED ship combat (unlike the realtime in the above two) where, again, as in the above two, your mentioned feature of outmaneuvering enemy ships such that you keep em in your firing/broadside arc and you outside of theirs is pretty key.

Ninja edit:
other notable differences if you're trying to keep these games apart in your shattered memories thereof:

1. Pirates! had ship combats as exclusively 1v1 affairs; no fleet vs. fleet actions. Even if you've got 8 botes and the other dude does too, prepare for a series of 1v1 fights.
2. Cutthroats had realtime combat like Pirates! but with multiple ships at a time! If you had 5 ships against 3 merchantmen all 8 dutifully participated in a realtime battle similar to that of Pirates! 1v1 ship combat. Another notable difference with Cutthroats is that if you storm a city via amphibious landing it's an RTS minigame to sort that out, as opposed to Pirates' turn based land combat, or the Uncharted Waters complete lack of attacking ports/cities at all.
3. Uncharted Waters 1/2 were exclusively TURN BASED; no realtime ship combat. Ship combat was fleet vs. fleet rather than 1v1 but again turn based rather than realtime. Further, you couldn't attack ports directly, not via a realtime ship battle or RTS ground battle or fencing cutscene.

chairface fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 3, 2018

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

happyhippy posted:

There was a Discovery pirates game called Pirates: Captain's Quest.

It was 2D but had no firing arcs visible.

I have a game, it was an old lovely doom clone that was aiming to 'gross you out', I don't remember a name at all, but I do know you could at some places buy/purchase De-oderant as a bomb or throwable. It was really *weird*.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

E-Tank posted:

I have a game, it was an old lovely doom clone that was aiming to 'gross you out', I don't remember a name at all, but I do know you could at some places buy/purchase De-oderant as a bomb or throwable. It was really *weird*.
H.U.R.L.?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

LGR introduced me to this thing, and except for its terrible aiming, it's not too bad of a little game. Kinda like Bad Toys, but slightly more deranged.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 5, 2018

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I'm looking for a game I played as a kid that I have incredibly hazy memories of.

It was in black and white. I believe it was a point-and-click adventure game. It was in a noir style, and I'm fairly sure it involved strange alien creatures and had an amusement park.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What platform was it on? When were you a kid?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What platform was it on? When were you a kid?

PC, and it was the early 2000's.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
http://www.old-games.com/download/1265/cubert-badbone-p-i-

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Thank you so effin' much. :cheers:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Trying to remember a Myst-like game where one of the environments was a sort of carnival where there was at least one disturbing early 3D clown head as some sort of decoration. I can say for sure it wasn't The Residents' weird games, Bad Day on the Midway or Freak Show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CYBEReris posted:

Trying to remember a Myst-like game where one of the environments was a sort of carnival where there was at least one disturbing early 3D clown head as some sort of decoration. I can say for sure it wasn't The Residents' weird games, Bad Day on the Midway or Freak Show.

Ha, gently caress, I was just about to suggest those.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Didn't Darkseed have a Carnival area with creepy clown?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not Superhero League of Hoboken was it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I played the demo of a FPS in the late 90s. You wake up in a storage room in the basement of a hospital or office building--in any case, it's a very plain building with some crates and blank white walls. I think the protagonist has amnesia. The building is under attack by terrorists. You can acquire a pistol, a submachine gun, and I believe a grenade and some body armor. The demo ends after you kill a few terrorists and escape through a door.

I know this is very vague. The lack of distinguishing features is what made it memorable.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Halloween Jack posted:

I played the demo of a FPS in the late 90s. You wake up in a storage room in the basement of a hospital or office building--in any case, it's a very plain building with some crates and blank white walls. I think the protagonist has amnesia. The building is under attack by terrorists. You can acquire a pistol, a submachine gun, and I believe a grenade and some body armor. The demo ends after you kill a few terrorists and escape through a door.

I know this is very vague. The lack of distinguishing features is what made it memorable.

This sounds like the demo of Operation Bodycount which took place in an office building. I don't think there were grenades, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah! I forgot to mention the weird spider things on the ceiling!

I think I would've been disappointed if I'd bought the game and later levels in this realistic FPS had a gun-toting clone of the Iron Sheik running around.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Would you have been disappointed because one could not possibly defeat the Iron Sheik? He'll make you huuuumble!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Zaodai posted:

Darkseed 2 had an annoying deathly sick clown, but it also had these weird creepy clown like carnival props https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE6Hvs4Gfn8&list=PLD59E2726F176F936&index=12&t=0s

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Chairchucker posted:

Not Superhero League of Hoboken was it?

Nah, not either of these. I specifically remember it being first-person with pre-rendered 3D graphics similar to Myst. I just wish I had something more specific than these vague images in my mind.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
https://www.gog.com/game/labyrinth_of_time_the

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
HardcoreGaming101 has a fuckton of reviews of adventure games, so clicking around on there might be fruitful.

Zaodai posted:

Would you have been disappointed because one could not possibly defeat the Iron Sheik? He'll make you huuuumble!
Nah, Billy Robinson would take care of him

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yeah, this is definitely it! The time period matches and this is definitely the "clown face" from my memory:

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Game 1)

This is a long shot but.. late 80s or early 90s DOS game (or perhaps a port to DOS), side-scrolling 2d perspective, where you were some kind of a space adventurer with a space ship you piloted where you could land on random planets and explore them. For some reason in my head it reminds me of almost a Flashback, but more about exploration. I remember one of the missions was finding a part to fix your ship. You could land on a lush planet. Some planets required you wore your space suit because either there was no air or it was toxic.

This was literally 30 years ago, so I'm sure I made up half of that. Feel like I've been looking for this game forever now.

Game 2)

Late 80s / early 90s DOS game where you were a character in some kind of a dungeon / prison, maybe the thing was black and white, and you had to get out and the whole thing was just totally insane inside. It had a weird name like Andy's Escape or Bob's Labyrinth or something like that. Perspective was sort of weird adventure meets isometric, not sure. I think it was more of a point and click adventure more than say a side scrolling shooter.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
^ Ken’s Labyrinth for #2? It was in colour though.

e: http://www.mobygames.com/game/kens-labyrinth/screenshots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Lazyhound posted:

^ Ken’s Labyrinth for #2? It was in colour though.

e: http://www.mobygames.com/game/kens-labyrinth/screenshots

That's a good guess! The name does seem similar but no, I remember this game being a weird adventure puzzler thing. Something like Adam's [...] or along those lines.