Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Great Beer posted:

I feel like I've stumbled on to some kind of secret to first layer adhesion that never gets talked about. I've been struggling with getting some PLA to stick to my aluminum build plate. Painters tape, glue sticks, bare metal weren't working even after leveling all four corners to the best of my ability. I needed a print asap so I got annoyed and threw some printer paper on it.

This is the best print surface I've ever used. It sticks perfectly. So well in fact I can't remove it from the plastic. No big deal with a raft though. It's one and done but a ream of paper doesn't cost much and will last hundreds of prints. Plus your print lines are nicely contrasted to help verify you leveled correctly.

http://i.imgur.com/LwtX1Bp.jpg

Slightly blurry, sorry. Camera doesn't like motion.

Is there any good reason not to do this?

That reminded me of the automated 3d printing system that was up on hackaday last year. It'd print on paper then drop the floor out when it was done:
https://hackaday.com/2017/06/24/hackaday-prize-entry-a-3d-printer-management-system/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEV_lTtuz6U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That's pretty neat. I bet it would be really useful for automating a print farm. Integrate a QR code on the paper so it can scan, load the appropriate file, and dump it into a conveyor belt to bring it to a location for shipping.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3D pen?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

duffmensch posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3D pen?

I own this el cheapo that works okay for the limited use it gets (mostly fixing up separated layers or making small ugly functional things):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HK7XN3/

Devon at Make Anything uses his for art projects and has tried a lot of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEpQnHMpFsM
https://www.makeanything.design/favorites/

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

porksmash posted:

I'd say eSun PLA+ is the easiest, cheapest material for just printing stuff. I've never been disappointed and I get great prints out of it every time.

I agree with this, and also that their fire engine red is loving awesome.

Related, I really want to print miniatures but realize that FDM isn't the best format for that. I'd still like to see just what I can do, so I've put a little bit of effort into it. The first time I printed in Slic3r PE, .05 layers, .25 nozzle. Not bad, but standard supports ruined the overall quality. I might use them for mooks, but not good enough for painting and display. Printed in eSun PLA+ fire engine red:

I was introduced to meshmixer tree supports last night, and decided to give them a whirl with what the printer was loaded with. .08 layers, .4 nozzle, eSun PLA+ grey:

What a god damned difference tree supports make! It definitely feels more like art than science to determine the right model orientation and support settings, but ... gently caress man. I'm going to spend the weekend trying to dial in the .25 nozzle printing with tree supports. It's almost good enough as is for me to feel comfortable displaying, with no more clean up needed than what my thumbnail could offer. I'm excited to see what I can do!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I just messed with printing some minis last week and came up with some really good results. I detached the base in meshmixer and printed separate (had issues with the base warping) and printed the actual mini 40-45 degrees tilted back using tree supports. On my cr-10s using the stock .4 nozzle and .08mm layers I was getting very good results for an fdm

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Tried this calibration cube at 200C, 45mm/s max, but changed the layer height from .26 to .13 and dang the results are about perfect. There's one string in the Y and the points in the X and Y are very slightly blobby. The side I was having separation issues on looks bang on so far. Sides/corners look pretty dang straight, which was where it was most noticeable printing at 200C and .26 before.

Guess I got to suck it up and quit printing at .26 and low temps then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Cura’s support game is way beyond Slic3r’s, in my opinion. Give that model a shot with line supports and it might come out really well.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wow that grey one turned out incredibly well! What model are you using and how tall did you print it?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Mister Sinewave posted:

Wow that grey one turned out incredibly well! What model are you using and how tall did you print it?

It's the paladin demo model from HeroForge, printed at 30cm top to bottom.

tuyop posted:

Cura’s support game is way beyond Slic3r’s, in my opinion. Give that model a shot with line supports and it might come out really well.

This i3 Mk3 is my first printer, and I just assembled it about a month ago. I haven't used any slicers other than Slic3r and PrusaControl, but I love learning how to use new tools! Any Cliff's Notes on what to be ready for fiddling with Cura for the first time?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

NeurosisHead posted:

This i3 Mk3 is my first printer, and I just assembled it about a month ago. I haven't used any slicers other than Slic3r and PrusaControl, but I love learning how to use new tools! Any Cliff's Notes on what to be ready for fiddling with Cura for the first time?

What are you thinking Cura will give you ? Cura does hide things from you including things like the settings if you want to print the perimeter first or infill first. I think it's rude of them to tuck them away assuming a person doesn't need them.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
tuyop had mentioned that they felt Cura created better supports than Slic3r. I don't mind plugging a model into Meshmixer to make tree supports, but I also like the idea of a slicer that natively creates supports that aren't as obtrusive as Slic3r's.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Meshmixer is an arcane piece of software.

I only ever gently caress with it once or twice to get a relieble tree support profile and then God forbid I have to touch it again. Usually a couple hours work though

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NeurosisHead posted:

You got some big hands. :eyepop:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

tuyop had mentioned that they felt Cura created better supports than Slic3r. I don't mind plugging a model into Meshmixer to make tree supports, but I also like the idea of a slicer that natively creates supports that aren't as obtrusive as Slic3r's.

The latest version of Cura added tree supports as one of the experimental features.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This guy's 3d printed tabletop channel had some good results doing minis with Cura with some settings tweaks. The video is pretty slow and you can kind of skip the first 7 minutes if you want to get right to the settings he's talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDW7g3JOqLA

A Cura developer has made some comments about the settings changes in the video comments which are interesting.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rexxed posted:

This guy's 3d printed tabletop channel had some good results doing minis with Cura with some settings tweaks. The video is pretty slow and you can kind of skip the first 7 minutes if you want to get right to the settings he's talking about :

A Cura developer has made some comments about the settings changes in the video comments which are interesting.

I'll dive into that after work today, thanks!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I need to replace the PEI on my heat bed on the mk3 . Instructions say to use d-limonene which is an organic solvent to remove the glue.

Can I use Simple Green instead.

Is there any advantage of using this over something more fast acting like acetone? Mind you, the mk3 bed is a piece of Springsteel and not the whole bed so it can take some harsh chemicals.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Rexxed posted:

Thanks I loving hate this guy and his "#1 magic sauce" video

e: and the Cura developer in the comments essentially says "you're just making it print slower and that's why it looks sharper"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 25, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sagebrush posted:

e: and the Cura developer in the comments essentially says "you're just making it print slower and that's why it looks sharper"

Yeah it sounds like he's selling something but it's just a file of cura settings. The main ones he mentioned in the video are top layers 99999 so it thinks everything is a top layer, 100% infill, and 12.5 mm/s. I didn't look at the files and he mentioned a friend is getting good results with less infill, but the results are pretty good for a regular .4mm nozzle.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sagebrush posted:

yeah here lemme save you a very painful 22 minutes:

use cura at 100% infill and print really, really slowly.

you should use a retraction test to dial that in for your filament, but that's pretty much it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The infill doesn't even matter. He's overriding it with the other settings he put in. All you have to do to achieve that quality is ensure your extruder is calibrated, print with several perimeters, and massively slow down your perimeter speed.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think the top layers 9999 and bottom 0 setting was also halving the speed for the outside layer and he was set to 25 mm/s so it was doing 12.5 mm/s on the outside. Then the second outside shell was 25 mm/s. Then the infill was 12.5 mm/s as noted by the Cura dev in the comments because it's treating most of the model as a top layer and that's obviously unnecessary. It was like 5am when I watched it so I should have been a bit more clear about the details because of all of his repetitive positivity for Cutco knives Scientology Cura settings files. Still, the results appear to be good and it's topical to the thread.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yeah, but his cura settings are dumb, and he doesn't seem to have any idea what it's actually doing.

Just print slow. You don't have to trick cura into thinking everything's a top layer, that's dumb. Honestly his prints still don't even look that good for the speed he's printing at, getting temp and retraction right are just as important and he doesn't do any of that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I got some of that esun pla+ in fire engine red and it's absolutely my new favorite. The layer adhesion is a huge step up from the inland stuff I've been using, and it's still cheap.

The new Inland Premium PLA+ is the ESUN PLA+, just cheaper. It is just hitting Microcenters now, comes in a blue box, $15.99.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

So I was revising my extruder config, and messed something up. At one point I entered 'M92 182.3' instead of having the E front of the number. Now, when I send the command 'G1 E100 F100' to extrude 100mm over 60 seconds, it instead retracts for that distance/time.

what do?

code:
Send: M503
Recv: echo:Steps per unit:
Recv: echo:  M92 X100.00 Y100.00 Z400.00 E182.30
Recv: echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
Recv: echo:  M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z12.00 E120.00
Recv: echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
Recv: echo:  M201 X9000 Y9000 Z500 E10000
Recv: echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
Recv: echo:  M204 S1500.00 T1500.00
Recv: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
Recv: echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X10.00 Y10.00 Z0.20 E2.50
Recv: echo:Home offset (mm):
Recv: echo:  M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
Recv: echo:PID settings:
Recv: echo:   M301 P40.93 I4.88 D86.08
Recv: echo:PID heatbed settings:
Recv: echo:   M304 P50.02 I2.18 D286.86
Recv: echo:Retract: S=Length (mm) F:Speed (mm/m) Z: ZLift (mm)
Recv: echo:   M207 S3.00 F2700.00 Z0.00
Recv: echo:Recover: S=Extra length (mm) F:Speed (mm/m)
Recv: echo:   M208 S0.00 F480.00
Recv: echo:Auto-Retract: S=0 to disable, 1 to interpret extrude-only moves as retracts or recoveries
Recv: echo:   M209 S0
Recv: echo:Filament settings: Disabled
Recv: ok
e: as far as I can tell, the bad code just got ignored. Went back through the command history and nothing is out of whack besides that. The GUI extrude command within Octoprint works properly, same with the printer controller. Changed back to E161.3 and same retraction result when issuing G1 E100 F100

e2: G1 E100 and G1 E-100 do the same thing :confused:

CloFan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 26, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Djarum posted:

The new Inland Premium PLA+ is the ESUN PLA+, just cheaper. It is just hitting Microcenters now, comes in a blue box, $15.99.

please don't tempt me, my nearest microcenter involves a nightmarish journey into the suburbs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CloFan posted:

So I was revising my extruder config, and messed something up. At one point I entered 'M92 182.3' instead of having the E front of the number. Now, when I send the command 'G1 E100 F100' to extrude 100mm over 60 seconds, it instead retracts for that distance/time.

what do?

code:
Send: M503
Recv: echo:Steps per unit:
Recv: echo:  M92 X100.00 Y100.00 Z400.00 E182.30
Recv: echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
Recv: echo:  M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z12.00 E120.00
Recv: echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
Recv: echo:  M201 X9000 Y9000 Z500 E10000
Recv: echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
Recv: echo:  M204 S1500.00 T1500.00
Recv: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
Recv: echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X10.00 Y10.00 Z0.20 E2.50
Recv: echo:Home offset (mm):
Recv: echo:  M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
Recv: echo:PID settings:
Recv: echo:   M301 P40.93 I4.88 D86.08
Recv: echo:PID heatbed settings:
Recv: echo:   M304 P50.02 I2.18 D286.86
Recv: echo:Retract: S=Length (mm) F:Speed (mm/m) Z: ZLift (mm)
Recv: echo:   M207 S3.00 F2700.00 Z0.00
Recv: echo:Recover: S=Extra length (mm) F:Speed (mm/m)
Recv: echo:   M208 S0.00 F480.00
Recv: echo:Auto-Retract: S=0 to disable, 1 to interpret extrude-only moves as retracts or recoveries
Recv: echo:   M209 S0
Recv: echo:Filament settings: Disabled
Recv: ok
e: as far as I can tell, the bad code just got ignored. Went back through the command history and nothing is out of whack besides that. The GUI extrude command within Octoprint works properly, same with the printer controller. Changed back to E161.3 and same retraction result when issuing G1 E100 F100

e2: G1 E100 and G1 E-100 do the same thing :confused:

What version of Marlin are you running? There was a notable bug a few versions back that caused something very similar to that behavior. And yeah, the firmware should have just ignored that line.

I suggest that you just run an M502 (resets your options to the hardcoded defaults), and if that doesn't work, reinstall the board firmware and start fresh.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I am starting a Fusion 360 tutorial and clicking around I discovered that Fusion has a python API? So I can probably do some of the type the model type stuff I wanted.

E: so, I duplicated a machining project I'm working on that I had in SCAD. There are some things that will probably take getting used to, but it came together pretty quickly, and the timeline feature was pretty useful when I found I had misplaced an object that was used in a bunch of operations. Rewind, fix the position, jump back and everything is good. The rendering is nice, but drat are those credits expensive (I'm just doing everything local, but some features are cloud-only). The actual rendering process is surprisingly opaque. I'm not getting a progress bar or anything, just a pegged CPU, and then later things show up in the render gallery.

carticket fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 30, 2018

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got a Noctua 40mm fan to replace or supplement the 30mm fan on my Monoprice mini. :radcat:

Not sure why they opted for tiny rubber buttplugs instead of normal machine screws to hold it in place though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Parts Kit posted:

Got a Noctua 40mm fan to replace or supplement the 30mm fan on my Monoprice mini. :radcat:

Not sure why they opted for tiny rubber buttplugs instead of normal machine screws to hold it in place though.
Typically those are for vibration/noise damping.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
loving poo poo the Noctua is quiet. I know they have a rep for that but drat, you have to stick your ear right on top of the thing to hear it.

Now if only the rest of the printer was that quiet.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
If you want a cheaper alternative to the noctua fan, or need a quieter fan that they don't offer check out Sunon.

I have one that is super quiet and powerful. Noctua are dead quiet, but the Sunon is like a whispered breath in your ear it's great and cheap

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I know it's dumb, and I KNOW they make an extremely high quality product, but I can't bring myself to use Noctua stuff because I hate brown.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I replaced the stock 40mm fan on my E3D Titan Aero with a cheapie 40x40x20 "gdstime" fan from eBay. I had one on hand from another project and when I compared the specs, it is massively quieter while moving the same amount of air at a higher static pressure (so it actually moves more air than the original did). I'm not sure why E3D decided to buy the loudest goddamn 40mm fan on the planet to have running all the time, but I highly recommend the upgrade once your fans start becoming the loudest part of your printer. Sometimes when it turns on, it vibrates all weird, but I just flick it and it runs fine. I think I paid like $2 for the fan so you kinda get what you pay for I guess.

Downside: I can't hear it running so I forget I turned the printer on to preheat. The E3D fan was so loud I could easily hear it buzzing away from the other room.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Parts Kit posted:

Do you have v2? I need to replace my fan as it is going out I think. Did you wire it directly to the 12v or use the existing fan wires?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I ordered some refill coils from filaments.ca and they threw in a free master spool, neat :toot:

That label had me confused, PETG is denser than PLA and shouldn't need a thicker coil, and indeed the PETG I ordered was about as thick as the PLA. I guess they mixed up PETG and ABS.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Don't mind me, just posting some fresh print images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

ClassH posted:

Do you have v2? I need to replace my fan as it is going out I think. Did you wire it directly to the 12v or use the existing fan wires?
I have the V2 and just nipped off the old and spliced in the new.