Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Really glad I restrained from making a joke about cuckoldry there, really dodged a bullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still not sure where/how to catch up on what's been going on with Games Workshop, was some conversation earlier in this thread about how they've got new management, and it seems like they're starting to try to win back the crowd after 40k stagnated and they burnt Fantasy to the ground, wanked on the ashes and tried to sell the wanky ashes in an overpriced box set? Floating turtles are cool and all, but near everything I've seen from Age of Sigmar looks super generic, ironic given the whole point was they want to make everything easier to trademark.

I'm not even close to all caught up on the storylines for AoS so I won't try to do a breakdown of how its been going in any detail. But overall, one of the big things hurting the setting when it started was there just wasn't much there. Not just that it was poorly defined because the previous CEO had stupid ideas, but because the backstory had chaos mostly wrecking almost everything, so you basically had stormcast invading, chaos defending, and like some scattered barbarians and maybe a few kingdoms in hiding here and there. Since that self-inflicted poo poo start, they've started playing up Order as colonizers and that they're not just fighting chaos, but re-establishing cities and nations as the war pushes stuff back. Several centuries have passed since the setting start. Its still not fully fleshed out, but at least they've jiggered the premise enough that it *can* be developed into something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

He didn’t. But he did say he wants to “start gaming with the wife” which implies that she hasn’t gamed before and that he is selling it to her rather than vice versa (it wasn’t “the wife wants to start gaming with me”) which put me on alert for what I posted above.

And nerdy hobbies?

Just admit you made a sexist inference and be done with it.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

It's something she's open to as something to do with her cool husband but wouldn't pursue purely on her own.

I appreciate the suggestions but drat y'all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
One player, one GM games are hard to come by, but your options open up a bit more if you're willing or able to run a PC alongside hers. You could probably get a Dungeon World game rolling like that. It's not the best execution of PbtA mechanics, but it's accessible and flexible enough that it could handle something like that with an inexperienced RPer.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Sounds like a perfect time for a game of Chronicles of Darkness: Promethean!

(too bad about all the crunch and Proper Nouns)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If you want to go fantasy, start with How to Host a Dungeon, and go through a whole sequence. Use that to introduce fantasy adventure tropes to taste, and then use that as background for gaming in phase 2. By halfway through HtHaD she'll be champing at the bit to get into that world.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Capcom remembered.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I wonder if that one Cat RPG system would be good for a campaign based on the Warriors novel series.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol please link me to the cat rpg system - I have a christmas oneshot kicking around in my head where the players are cats and my current plan was to (secretly, my players will have no clue) use modified call of cthulhu and have them investigate the strange behavior of their humans a few days before christmas. A new ornament from the flea market is actually an occult artifact amplifying their desire to conduct rituals at the expense of other brain functioning. Hopefully they figure this out and find his booth and think he's a sorcerer or something but really is just a puppet for <insert mysterious but also dog name here>, subsumer of rituals, an elder golden retriever that aims to recenter all of humanity's holiday rituals around giving out treats.

I think call of cthulhu would work well because crazy cats are a real archetype and also would be fun to roleplay as, and the family's cats having different skills is reasonable. Maybe this one loves hunting birds and things while this one is excellent at jumping and climbing. I'd have to set the right mood to contrast the sillyness of being cats with the relative seriousness of the story.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The one that sounds ideal for what you want is Call of Catthulu, but if you're looking for a game about being cats I can also offer you The Secrets of Cats (Fate-based) and Laser Kittens.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
depending on how much you hate john wick http://johnwickpresents.com/product/cat-a-little-game-about-little-heroes/ cat the rpg exists

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
okay cool someone did it before me, that makes things easier!!! I was gonna call it "call of kithulhu" but their name is better too.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Elfgames posted:

depending on how much you hate john wick http://johnwickpresents.com/product/cat-a-little-game-about-little-heroes/ cat the rpg exists

John Wick was a good movie.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Bedlamdan posted:

John Wick was a good movie.
But it was about a dog, not a cat.
...is there a Dog RPG? Pugmire specifically doesn't count.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Nighttime Animals Save The Earth.

I think there was a Dog RPG printed in one of the KoDT issues.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Elfgames posted:

What's the source of hate for John Wick? I'm totally unfamiliar with him or his company, beyond that my wife kind of got a soft job offer with them after she left her last job.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

MockingQuantum posted:

What's the source of hate for John Wick? I'm totally unfamiliar with him or his company, beyond that my wife kind of got a soft job offer with them after she left her last job.

Play Dirty (apparently)
Gloating about driving players away
Weirdly idolising the not-Japanese
Weirdly idolising the not-French

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Hate is probably an exaggeration, but he's an incredibly sloppy designer who makes games based on intestinal cognition, and he wrote a book of some really horrible GMing advice way back when.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MockingQuantum posted:

Dude has an enormous amount, both in quality and quantity, of lovely opinions about How Games Should Be™. He advocates being a total shithead to your players repeatedly, dicking them over in ridiculous ways, until you deem them worthy of some meager success. He's also a big fan of absurdly powerful NPCs the players can't challenge in any way, which is really obvious in L5R because everyone he writes is either a god, or blessed by a god, or otherwise destined to be better than you at everything forever and you should be thankful they let you carry their parasol. He loves the concept of "earn your fun" to such a degree that it becomes closer to "earn your slightly less suffering". He's the kind of guy you read/listen to just so you can do the exact opposite of what he says to do.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
He also murdered a Russian kid who’d stolen his car.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
He ran a superhero campaign where a character was immune to disease, so his villian invented a disease that only effects those who are immune to disease. If you want to get deep into the brainworms, watch play dirty. If you want to contemplate suicide, watch his discussion with zac s. Its probably the worst discussion I have ever witnessed.

I don't mind Wick that much, honestly, but boy oh boy is he deep into the anti-fun gming.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 30, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Babylon Astronaut posted:

He ran a superhero campaign where a character was immune to disease, so his villian invented a disease that only effects those who are immune to disease.

Who the hell would ever want to play a game with that guy? :psyduck:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

You left out the best part:

The character was immune to the cure.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Jesus wept.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Apparently not a whole lot cause I’ve never heard of him.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I don't know if its still floating around, but like a decade or more ago he also wrote a d20 adventure piece full of really torrid prose leading to the mindblowing reveal that the paladin protagonist was.... A BLACK DUDE. :wth:

There was some pretty good mockery of it back in the day, as I recall.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bwahaha. Seems that guy is a drat idiot for having a person of color as a protagonist.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Don't be dense.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Zurui posted:

You left out the best part:

The character was immune to the cure.

ahahahah what the christ

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Capcom remembered.

What the hell is a White Wolf?

In any case, here's what Capcom forgot.

MockingQuantum posted:

Mostly general smugness, doubled-down on. Also some horrifically bad GM advice I wrote too many words on. That all aside, he can write come up with neat ideas and evocative prose, as long as he has somebody around to bounce off of and steer him in the appropriate direction.

He used to write for AEG games on popular game lines like Legend of the Five Rings or 7th Sea and developed a fan-following around that time, some of which followed him into the indie gaming community when he had a pretty harsh falling-out with them.

Desiden posted:

I think a big part of the reaction to "What's that Smell?" (the d20 adventure with the aforementioned paladin) was that John Wick did a lot of bombastic talk about how their d20 adventure was going to blow the D&D community's minds and change everything... and it tended up being an adventure with a reasonably decent little twist but not mind-blowing, but also with a seething passive-aggressive tone towards the whole D&D playstyle (and, by extension, D&D players). Not exactly a charmer of a text.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Capcom remembered.

My people never forgot.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Desiden posted:

I don't know if its still floating around, but like a decade or more ago he also wrote a d20 adventure piece full of really torrid prose leading to the mindblowing reveal that the paladin protagonist was.... A BLACK DUDE. :wth:

I remember reading that, and the mockery that followed. That was John Wick? Wow, I had no idea.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Desiden posted:

Basically this?

https://youtu.be/OIVB3DdRgqU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Babylon Astronaut posted:

He ran a superhero campaign where a character was immune to disease, so his villian invented a disease that only effects those who are immune to disease. If you want to get deep into the brainworms, watch play dirty. If you want to contemplate suicide, watch his discussion with zac s. Its probably the worst discussion I have ever witnessed.

I don't mind Wick that much, honestly, but boy oh boy is he deep into the anti-fun gming.

What gets me about this, anti-fun and making GBS threads-on-players aside, is how goddamn petty it is. Who gives a flying crap about a PC having disease immunity in any game that isn't shitfarmer-tier Fantasy loving Vietnam or set in Black Plague-era Europe? Who decides a superhero character needs to be punished for having a trait that's a ubiquitous part of a lot of superhero power sets? I guess it's more original than killing off PCs' loved ones, but seriously, why fixate on this?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Antivehicular posted:

What gets me about this, anti-fun and making GBS threads-on-players aside, is how goddamn petty it is. Who gives a flying crap about a PC having disease immunity in any game that isn't shitfarmer-tier Fantasy loving Vietnam or set in Black Plague-era Europe? Who decides a superhero character needs to be punished for having a trait that's a ubiquitous part of a lot of superhero power sets? I guess it's more original than killing off PCs' loved ones, but seriously, why fixate on this?

He did the "killed off loved ones" thing too in the same game iirc. It was something like one of the characters had an Aunt May analogue and during a fight with a supervillain she got unmasked and her loved one had a heart attack and died.

John Wick also loves to complain about players who make characters with no emotional attachments or loved ones, presumably because they don't give him any convenient hooks to drape his terrible ideas upon.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Here's all the reasons you shouldn't play Champions with John Wick

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

His writing on L5R was marked by extreme favoritism toward the Scorpion and a preoccupation with Bayushi Kachiko, who was, pretty much by his own admission, his Dragon Lady masturbation fantasy. His adventure design was also extremely difficult and somewhat obtuse.

More materially, he was responsible for a release date scheme called "Rolling Thunder," which meant breaking new expansions down into mini-expansions. It was a purely cynical tactic to take advantage of the flooded market--most game stores had become wary of new CCGs, and tended to order small quantities of every release, waiting to see what sold.

He's bad at rules design and seems downright proud of it at times. He consistently argues that even when the rules incentivize poor roleplaying, you should just want to do it the right way.

Also, for most of this time, his online persona is being one of those guys who imitates Hunter S. Thompson. Imagining a guy defending his Killer DM style, and bragging about the time his wife bought him a lapdance from an Asian stripper, in that grating shopworn style.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol please link me to the cat rpg system - I have a christmas oneshot kicking around in my head where the players are cats and my current plan was to (secretly, my players will have no clue) use modified call of cthulhu and have them investigate the strange behavior of their humans a few days before christmas. A new ornament from the flea market is actually an occult artifact amplifying their desire to conduct rituals at the expense of other brain functioning. Hopefully they figure this out and find his booth and think he's a sorcerer or something but really is just a puppet for <insert mysterious but also dog name here>, subsumer of rituals, an elder golden retriever that aims to recenter all of humanity's holiday rituals around giving out treats.

I think call of cthulhu would work well because crazy cats are a real archetype and also would be fun to roleplay as, and the family's cats having different skills is reasonable. Maybe this one loves hunting birds and things while this one is excellent at jumping and climbing. I'd have to set the right mood to contrast the sillyness of being cats with the relative seriousness of the story.

People already linked you Call of Catthulu but also if you haven't already read Beasts of Burden, it is a comic about kitties and puppies fighting supernatural evil while their owners are unaware. It has really good art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Halloween Jack posted:

His writing on L5R was marked by extreme favoritism toward the Scorpion and a preoccupation with Bayushi Kachiko, who was, pretty much by his own admission, his Dragon Lady masturbation fantasy. His adventure design was also extremely difficult and somewhat obtuse.

More materially, he was responsible for a release date scheme called "Rolling Thunder," which meant breaking new expansions down into mini-expansions. It was a purely cynical tactic to take advantage of the flooded market--most game stores had become wary of new CCGs, and tended to order small quantities of every release, waiting to see what sold.

He's bad at rules design and seems downright proud of it at times. He consistently argues that even when the rules incentivize poor roleplaying, you should just want to do it the right way.

Also, for most of this time, his online persona is being one of those guys who imitates Hunter S. Thompson. Imagining a guy defending his Killer DM style, and bragging about the time his wife bought him a lapdance from an Asian stripper, in that grating shopworn style.

Wait, I thought Rolling Thunder was all Ryan Dancey, not Wick. Wick was just story team, not the business end.