Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do about 2500 calories a day 40/20/30 and sleep about 7-8 hours.

You probably need to eat more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Drewjitsu posted:

You probably need to eat more.

I hear that too with my strength training but I am worried about ending up like that guy who tried to "bulk up" and ended up turning into a potato

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hear that too with my strength training but I am worried about ending up like that guy who tried to "bulk up" and ended up turning into a potato

If we're talking about the same guy, he was taking supplements and not doing any form of serious exercise I believe.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Odddzy posted:

If we're talking about the same guy, he was taking supplements and not doing any form of serious exercise I believe.

This dude

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hey guys, looking some quick white belt tips

Been training for about two months now, trying to get in at least three classes a week and just looking for tips/perspective on endurance and cardio. I'm usually dead the next day, and I usually blow up after about my fourth round of rolling during class. Any tips for improving endurance, or any perspective on how long it takes to get used to frequent training. I feel crappy if I skip a day because I feel exhausted but don't want to unreasonably push myself.

Hi friend. I'm a white belt who's 5 months into it now (and almost 40 years old).

I don't know exactly when it happened, but some time around month 3, or 4, I started to feel really good after training vs being worn out.

I think it's just a combination of getting into better jiu jitsu shape and gaining a little bit of experience (so I don't exhaust myself doing useless stuff while rolling).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

HunterDevourer posted:

I try and read anything Joel Jamieson writes (website is 8weeksout) - he has a great conditioning book called ultimate mma conditioning that has a lot of useful information about conditioning.

Main thing I started doing to improve conditioning after it was bought a heart rate monitor and started doing cycling for 30+ minutes keeping the heartrate between 120-150bpm. Helped endurance and recovery rate a lot, I had decent conditioning before but after focusing on cardiac output was able to go through all training and still feel fine both in BJJ and Judo.

He has a free 4 week conditioning program that is fairly easy to follow as well.

Did you order the book direct from his website? I'm usually leery of using my credit card on websites I haven't ever had business with before.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

If it makes you feel any better, I'm weight stable, don't really work out, train 2x a week, maybe, and I eat 3000+ calories.

Maybe bump up your calories for a bit, and see what happens. If you end up a potato, you can always go down in calories.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm weight stable, don't really work out, train 2x a week, maybe, and I eat 3000+ calories.

Maybe bump up your calories for a bit, and see what happens. If you end up a potato, you can always go down in calories.

Yeah I'll give it a shot. Any recs? I assume just adding a few more whole grains would be the right call since its an energy thing.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Unless you're a very small person and/or actively trying to lose weight, that's probably not enough calories for 3+ classes a week *and* a serious lifting routine. Try bumping it up to 3000 and see what happens.

EDIT: can't go wrong with the ol' PB&J and a glass of (chocolate) milk.

Nestharken fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 31, 2018

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

JaySB posted:

He went online at like 3am clearly high on something and made a video challenging Floyd Mayweather to a fight in the gym, it was like a 30min rambling. He tagged the gym owner as well as a bunch of other people. He was also behind 4 months on membership dues.

nice

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

how often do you guys spar? I feel like I spar 3 times a week which is too much for me. Would like to spar just once and then drill the rest of the week. Sparring in exhausting and is what gets me injured

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spb posted:

how often do you guys spar? I feel like I spar 3 times a week which is too much for me. Would like to spar just once and then drill the rest of the week. Sparring in exhausting and is what gets me injured

Pair yourself with better more experienced guys and don't be a spaz*?

*No offence meant, but it could be a reason why you get injured if it happens with any regularity.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

spb posted:

where i'm at, the last 15-20 minutes are always free-roll. if you're not feeling up to it for whatever reason you can always just chill out and watch but most people, me included, actually look forward to it. i like exploring the drills in an actual situation or just relish a chance to work on something i saw on youtube or w/e.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1. Sparring is good, whether free rolls or positional.

2. If you need calories the answer is tacos. Right now I'm enjoying my post-workout regimin of four tacos.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

My school is about 1 hour of drill and then 1 hour of open mat rolling. My goal right now is to get more rounds of sparring without getting gassed. Right now I can do about 4-5 rounds of five minutes if I rest every other round.

I mean I kind of like open mat because it lets me try the stuff we learn in drills in situations where its not rehearsed and expected. Are you sparring guys at your weight/rank? I will usually take on greens and whites at my size and then take on tinier guys if they significantly outrank me.

If rolling is getting you hurt, maybe ask a purple or blue belt to just guide you through some stuff. Every once and awhile I roll with a purple belt and basically just tell him its ok if he kicks me rear end as long as he explains to me how he is doing it.

Marching Powder posted:

i like exploring the drills in an actual situation or just relish a chance to work on something i saw on youtube or w/e.

My one single pathetic white belt triumph is pulling off a legit omaplata from guard on another white belt

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I'll give it a shot. Any recs? I assume just adding a few more whole grains would be the right call since its an energy thing.

Yeah, I think it's if you're doing more work, you add more carbs. I am not a nutritionist.

Without going nuts, just stick to the percentages you've got, just increase the calorie count. That's the easiest thing to do.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah definitely try not to cut down on sparring time. IMO that's the real meat of learning any practical martial art.

I'd also ask a higher belt for advice. Especially a smaller or older one who spars often with all types of opponents. That person knows how to protect their body. Tell him/her straight up that you're getting too beat up and ask them to help you learn to roll light. Be prepared to receive suggestions that may sound stupidly obvious, but they're mistakes everyone makes while learning.

Along those lines, and without knowing you at all, I'd recommend tapping early, and trying to avoid focusing on winning or losing while rolling. The point of sparring is to spend time working in all positions, even the lovely ones. I might be able to defend a sweep or a deep sub with a max effort movement, but how useful is that defense going to be against a guy 15lbs heavier or 6 months more experienced? Look for the openings that work at 70 or 80 percent effort. If 80% won't work, try something else or give up the position. Even if you get tapped over and over again. You'll protect your body and you'll probably improve faster.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I need help. What are the things you guys do to take care of your feet?

I've been wearing combat boots every day for 20+ years and my feet look like the surface of the moon.

I trim my toenails, I use the goldbond foot cream, I've even used my wife's foot sandpaper thing. Even with that I've still got messed up toenails, thick cracked up calluses, and just ugly feet (but clean).

What creams work well for you guys? Also, has anyone had any success in smoothing your skin/removing calluses?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

I've been wearing combat boots every day for 20+ years and my feet look like the surface of the moon.

I trim my toenails, I use the goldbond foot cream, I've even used my wife's foot sandpaper thing. Even with that I've still got messed up toenails, thick cracked up calluses, and just ugly feet (but clean).

What creams work well for you guys? Also, has anyone had any success in smoothing your skin/removing calluses?

Pedicure. For real, every 4 - 6 weeks. Toes on fleek.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yep. You also get to paint your toe nails the colour of your belt, so people know what rank you are when rolling no gi.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

We do like 30 minutes of sparring everyday. It's brutal

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

I've never noticed anyone's foot calluses while rolling. I've got better things to pay attention to.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

spb posted:

We do like 30 minutes of sparring everyday. It's brutal

Brutal as in an hour of sparring would be the ideal, but you have to take what you can get because generally you really like your school?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

I've never noticed anyone's foot calluses while rolling. I've got better things to pay attention to.

Once in a while I grab a kneebar on someone and look down at their foot and go "ugh."

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My school's sparring/rolling is sporadic. Advance class twice a twice is majority full rolling with a lot of specific training. For our fundamental class (3 times a week) it really depends on how many people, what we were drilling, the belt levels of everyone or just the Professor not wanting to. It sort of sucks cause a few people don't even show up during the week because they don't get to roll. Only fundamental class we always roll is Saturday mornings and it varies in length due to the above reasons.

We also don't have or do any open mat times. Facility is shared with a kickboxing, wrestling and cross fit gym. On top of safety reasons.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I fully intend to weaponize my gross rear end feet

butros
Aug 2, 2007

My school has a total of 19 or 20 hour classes per week. General setup is ~5 mins warmup, ~5-10 mins of basic positional drilling, ~30 mins of being shown and drilling 1-2 techniques, two rounds of positional sparring, one round free sparring from the knees. There are also a few other classes that are almost 100% rolling, some Q&A sessions, and a few open mats.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

butros posted:

My school has a total of 19 or 20 hour classes per week. General setup is ~5 mins warmup, ~5-10 mins of basic positional drilling, ~30 mins of being shown and drilling 1-2 techniques, two rounds of positional sparring, one round free sparring from the knees. There are also a few other classes that are almost 100% rolling, some Q&A sessions, and a few open mats.

Do any of you stand up immediately when you start from the knees?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I have the hardest most callused feet and I straight up use them as a weapon. My heels are incredibly hardened a rough and that helps me drive my heels in to help get hooks. I did start filing down the calluses to be nicer to my teammates.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Odddzy posted:

I've never liked starting from the knees. If someone tries to do that with me I'll sit on my butt and work open guard instead. The only reason I wouldn't stand is because I'd probably assume there was some semblance of a reason they were starting from knees in the first place.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

When we start from knees I usually deep squat instead

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

CommonShore posted:

Once in a while I grab a kneebar on someone and look down at their foot and go "ugh."

I literally saw the grossest toenail I've ever seen a few days ago. It was the right big toe and it was kind of cauliflower shaped and yellow. I made it a point not to be paired up with that guy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My bigger issue is that my fingernails grow absurdly fast. I have to clip them pretty much every day so I am not accidentally clawing dudes

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

On the subject of standing up immediately, is it "bad form" in ya'lls opinion to just technical stand up against people who refuse to engage your guard and just attempt to agility pass when generally one person starts open guard and the other starts standing/combat base?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Odddzy posted:

Usually the way it goes is when the round starts, one partner will stand up to start passing and the other will respond by laying back to playing guard. Most guys follow a rule of thumb my professor has that if his opponent doesn't start to try to pass within three seconds, he will. So you rarely see stalemating/patty-cake on the knees.

I've also noticed that the higher ranking belt in rolls will often start a roll by immediately laying back to play guard and to let the lower ranked guys try to work their passes (though eventually it's also pretty much inevitable that mid-roll the the higher belts to transition to a passing/top game) .

I am not a huge fan of starting from knees and wish we would do more from standing, but my understanding is that it's mostly related to having a lot of guys in a small space.

My favorite type of rolling is actually situational sparring - for example we're working on back attacks this week so our professor is having us roll from that position - guy on the back is working to submit, or transition to mount, guy with his back taken is trying to escape and get to his knees facing. Any of those end-points result in a reset to the starting position. I like that approach as it really helps me dig in on certain positions, and also giving me the chance to work what we've been going over within defined parameters that help me keep focused on internalizing those techniques.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i start on the rear end, not the knees. all the from the knee stuff seems like dumb bullshit whereas i have many powerful techniques that are actually real jiu jitsu from the attack platform that is My rear end.

Defenestrategy posted:

On the subject of standing up immediately, is it "bad form" in ya'lls opinion to just technical stand up against people who refuse to engage your guard and just attempt to agility pass when generally one person starts open guard and the other starts standing/combat base?

this doesn't happen very often but if a dude wants to run laps I'll give it like 360 degrees and just sit there and let them attack, i dont have time to deal with that poo poo and playing standup is sometimes not an option if the mats are laden with boys

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I start in butterfly. We're fairly limited on mat space so starting standing is basically a safety concern at my gym.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

butros posted:

Brutal as in an hour of sparring would be the ideal, but you have to take what you can get because generally you really like your school?

Burtal because I get my rear end beat and am sore af afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

Burtal because I get my rear end beat and am sore af afterwards.

Slow the pace of your rolls, ask your partner to work on a position with you and teach you something vs just rolling.