Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Worm is a false prophet.

M....MODS?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Then slap a loving warning sign to the tune 'can get gibbed by mid-game event no matter what you do' because when I picked a faction with a 'everyone is hostile to you' trait I expected the other empires to be the problem. Not RNG.

What part of "robots who want to kill absolutely everything" did you not get?

Everything is hostile to you...

If you got an endgame crisis dropped on you out of nowhere then yeah that's kinda lame, but if you start next to a powerful hostile civilization then that's.... kinda going to be your objective if you want to play that start? If you try and fail to beat them then, well, that's how it goes sometimes.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Additionally sometimes they get a hate boner for you. Like in the current MP game we're doing three of us in a federation have all synthetically ascended and the spiritualist FE constantly threatens to humiliate us. We just tipped over to the point where we can slap them in the face long enough to get 10 years of peace and quiet.

Oh yes, do not synthetically ascend in a galaxy with a spiritualist FE, unless you are prepared to fight them, they kind of take it personally.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 30, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like I've asked this before and forgotten; is there a mod or similar that would make the game load ONLY prescripted empires, without creating new random ones in a game? I know I can set all the species in Familiar Faces to always load but I don't really want to do that if I don't have to. I could maintain two versions of the mod I guess but that seems silly if there's an easier way.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I still never research synths because I hate that they auto "upgrade" all my droids. I want droids AND synths!

Just enslave the synths, then you have functionally equivalent but better droids!

There are no downsides to this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Related to Horizon Signal, did the odds of it happening get upped? I got it on my 2nd game, played a while without getting it, then got it on two straight games.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

iospace posted:

Related to Horizon Signal, did the odds of it happening get upped? I got it on my 2nd game, played a while without getting it, then got it on two straight games.

In my last 3 games I've gotten it instantly on the first black hole a science ship visited.

Also just watched Wiz's talk about the future, sounds like they're on the right track ideologically but will see how these ideas get implemented, and also how many years away this vision is :(

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 30, 2018

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
What's the best way to manage ship upgrades? I tried leaving it on auto, but I ended up with a lot of messed up fleet interfaces.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MoreLikeTen posted:

What's the best way to manage ship upgrades? I tried leaving it on auto, but I ended up with a lot of messed up fleet interfaces.

I obsessively click on every yellow arrow as soon as even the tiniest part is upgradable

Edit:

I also obsessively design new classes as soon as a new weapon I like is researched

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Has anyone figured out why Stellaris just sometimes decides that it must use 100% of your gpu? Like it's not all the time, I usually get 60fps no problem, but sometimes it's just "GIVE ME ALL THE GPU" for a while. I think it happens a lot when you hit the ship designer but that could just be confirmation bias, because it doesn't do it all the time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Libluini posted:

I obsessively click on every yellow arrow as soon as even the tiniest part is upgradable

Edit:

I also obsessively design new classes as soon as a new weapon I like is researched

There are people that don't do this? I may not upgrade my fleet if I'm in the middle of a war and can't afford to pull back from the front lines, but you bet your rear end I want the new ships trickling in to be top of the line.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Let me tell you all the interesting things about my biology.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He might just think you're wearing power armour.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

GREETINGS, FELLOW BIOLOGICAL CREATURE.

I wish contact with other empires was more robust. I'd love if your first contact greeting had some kind of effect, and if you could just chat with them sometimes.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Word choice aside, if you're some kind of warrior race that loves the thrill of personal combat you probably WOULD be pretty interested to learn how alien robots fight given that their vulnerable points are probably way different from what you're used to.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Our weak point is our buggy empathy logic. Nothing harms us like seeing other sentient beings suffer, especially our rivals over here.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Here's a fun bug. If you go the biological ascension path and get the final perk, you will never see the Gene Tailoring tech come up, as the tech unlocked does what it does plus unlocks some unique traits. This makes infiltrating pre-FTL primitives impossible, as that specifically requires Gene Tailoring.

iospace posted:

I usually play on ironman because I'm a sucker for achievements.

Fun fact, you can savescum ironman by killing the process from the task manager or OS equivalent. Gets you back to last auto-save.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I wish I could get the horizon signal. :(

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Just got the outside context achievement. Take that, humans!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Black Pants posted:

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Find two blackhole systems close together and just have a science ship move from one to the other. You will get it eventually.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

President Ark posted:

realtalk: if you want the "everyone hates you" experience without going full murder, play as driven assimilators; they have -200 diplomacy to all other basic factions (-400 to spiritualists because they see you as soul-eating abominations) which is a pretty much insurmountable barrier to diplomacy, but don't count as a genocidal faction to those that care about that

Unless it was changed recently, it's -100 to all basics and -200 to spiritualists. It's entirely possible to make friends, if you're willing to put in the effort via ascension perks, robomodding, and bribes. I usually don't bother with spiritualists though, because it is expensive and gently caress those guys.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

GREETINGS, FELLOW BIOLOGICAL CREATURE.

I wish contact with other empires was more robust. I'd love if your first contact greeting had some kind of effect, and if you could just chat with them sometimes.

I’d hope that gets rolled into the diplomacy update, along with changes to first contact in general. It’d be neat to have first contact wars or at the least incredibly strained relations from a poor first contact. That way even species that would normally get along, hate each other for a bit because some diplomat inadvertently called their diplomat fat and now they want to be able to devour him alive - as is their custom.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I made these guys a while back, and then set them to always spawn.

Brings a smile to my face every time.

"The Kingdom of Make-Believe"
={
key="The Kingdom of Make-Believe"
ship_prefix="ISS"
species={
class="HUM"
portrait="human"
name="Rogers"
plural="Rogers"
adjective="Rogers"
species_bio="Everything that we were, everything that we are, and everything we hope to be boils down to one, singular question: Won't you be our neighbor?"
name_list="HUMAN1"
trait="trait_solitary"
trait="trait_repugnant"
trait="trait_venerable"
}
name="The Kingdom of Make-Believe"
adjective="Friends"
authority="auth_imperial"
government="gov_star_empire"
planet_name="Make-Believe"
planet_class="pc_continental"
system_name="The Neighborhood"
initializer=""
graphical_culture="humanoid_01"
city_graphical_culture="humanoid_01"
empire_flag={
icon={
category="human"
file="flag_human_8.dds"
}
background={
category="backgrounds"
file="circle.dds"
}
colors={
"beige"
"brown"
"null"
"null"
}
}
ruler={
gender=male
name="Fred Rogers"
portrait="human_male_01"
texture=0
hair=6
clothes=0
ruler_title="Mister"
heir_title="Future Mister"
}
spawn_as_fallen=no
ignore_portrait_duplication=no
room="personality_xenophobic_isolationists_room"
spawn_enabled=always
ethic="ethic_fanatic_xenophile"
ethic="ethic_militarist"
civics={
"civic_free_haven"
"civic_nationalistic_zeal"
}
}

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Seeing the code for that Race bring a question I've had to mind, and looking through that I don't think the answer will be the one I want.

But, is it possible to set a Race's starting policies through that file? Example, I'm tired of starting the game with my Determined Assimilators at default Open Borders status and having to change that/close my borders to the first half dozen folks I encounter cause I forget to change it at game start.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RedSnapper posted:

Found a shielded planet with some kind of a temporal field inside, that was replaying some race's rise and fall, over and over, on fast forward. Felt bad for the fellows and decided to pop them out and now I'm bordering cute gecko fanatic purifiers.
Oh, that must be what happened in my game, were they the prikkitiki or whatever? A tiny one world empire of fanatical purifier geckos spawned next to an empire I had recently met and that must be a new event.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lol, in my game where i'm playing as the UNE, the COM also spawned in. i'm going robot and as such my dudes are cyborg upped. the COM decided to go full in on psionics and have already ascended humanity, which has had the side effect of my leaders now being cyborg psionics.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 30, 2018

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, that must be what happened in my game, were they the prikkitiki or whatever? A tiny one world empire of fanatical purifier geckos spawned next to an empire I had recently met and that must be a new event.

Yup, same guys. I actually managed to wall them off and limit them to a single system. I just don't know what to do with them now - I'm torn between conquering them outright or just keeping them independent as a pet.
I also met some gas giant natoves who needed help relocating. They were grateful enough to name their new planet after a different race..

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Captain Invictus posted:

RedSnapper posted:

Yup, same guys. I actually managed to wall them off and limit them to a single system. I just don't know what to do with them now - I'm torn between conquering them outright or just keeping them independent as a pet.
I also met some gas giant natoves who needed help relocating. They were grateful enough to name their new planet after a different race..

I just ate them, being a devouring swarm. They were as delicious as they were cute as they were angry.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A bit late to the wormhole discussion, but I wanted to say that they are incredibly cool and good and I always crank them up because of the weird neat wildcard they add to the galactic geography.

The tech to actually use them comes near the end of the early game, when you've probably already met your neighbors and depending on how crowded things are you might have even run out of room to expand. There's a good chance the political situation will have stabilized. Maybe you gave your dangerous neighbor a bloody nose, maybe you don't have anyone you feel the need to rough up right next to you.

And then you explore the wormhole that's been in the core of your empire the whole time. All of a sudden you've got a new neighbor. With any luck they're some sort of hostile constant-warfare species because a) that's terrifying and b) they've probably got a lot of neighbors that hate them you can ally with.

That happened to me in a nearly perfect game. I was a rogue servitor (as always) but this time with a twist. I was taking care of a race called "sprouts" using the cutie fungoid portrait (because that's adorable), but I also added a devouring swarm empire also using the name "sprouts" and that portrait, with the idea that the species "deviant" trait made them fundamentally modify themselves. I imagined the devouring swarm was the product of a group of dissidents upset at the growing dependence on machines, who genetically modified themselves to be more in sync with each other, but something horrible happened while they were tinkering with their own genome. The idea being this all happened on some sort of generation ship that eventually fell into a wormhole...

Where I found them terrorizing the other half of the galaxy centuries later.

So there I was, a race of benevolent robots facing the terrifyingly violent product of their earlier mistakes. A massive fleet pours through the wormhole bent on devouring their passive cousins out from under the empathetic machines that care for them. It was an unexpected and fierce war, but eventually the Sprout Horde was pushed back through the wormhole, and with a number of alliances formed with the Horde's neighbors, they were eventually pacified.

Which is when I learned something fantastic that I hadn't even planned- if you have a race with the same name and same portrait, they count as subspecies of each other. Even if one's a hive mind. That means you can convert one into the other by applying the appropriate "template" even if one is a hive mind.

Any other hive mind races wither and die when taken over by a rogue servitor- a sad fate for all involved. But not this time! I was able to fix the genetic damage the rogue Sprouts had done to themselves, turning them back into their original form, to live long happy lives in their organic sanctuaries.

tl;dr: Wormholes are awesome and one of the few potential avenues for relevant new discoveries and big political shifts in the mid game.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ConfusedUs posted:

They were as delicious as they were cute as they were angry.

:stare:

This would make great flavor text if they end up adding recent events as part of diplomatic communications. Like, devouring swarms could say that if they just won a war with a neighbor. That would be a hell of an opener.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Clanpot Shake posted:

Here's a fun bug. If you go the biological ascension path and get the final perk, you will never see the Gene Tailoring tech come up, as the tech unlocked does what it does plus unlocks some unique traits. This makes infiltrating pre-FTL primitives impossible, as that specifically requires Gene Tailoring.

Fun fact, you can savescum ironman by killing the process from the task manager or OS equivalent. Gets you back to last auto-save.

Uh, you're wrong? Gene tailoring is required for Targeted Gene Expressions, which is the required tech for the second bio ascendancy perk.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Someone has a Wikipedia determined exterminator build right?
https://twitter.com/horriblesanity/status/1001899692991565825?s=21

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yes, do not synthetically ascend in a galaxy with a spiritualist FE, unless you are prepared to fight them, they kind of take it personally.

Isn't this just the icing on my goddamn cake.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ZypherIM posted:

Uh, you're wrong? Gene tailoring is required for Targeted Gene Expressions, which is the required tech for the second bio ascendancy perk.

Ah my bad, I do indeed have the tech, but the primitives are a little too primitive to infiltrate.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is building tall still a recipe for disaster in the game? I am bad at this game and enjoy perfecting my little corner of the map and turning it into space Sweden, but I know that that is far from how you are “supposed” to play the game. If you bottleneck well and build up fortifications can you protect yourself from an end game crises at all?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I did exactly that and the Contingency arrived in my backyard, so not necessarily!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

OwlFancier posted:

They got over it once the robot armies landed and helped them get those pesky glands out of the equation.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

Isn't this just the icing on my goddamn cake.

It's nothing personal against you. It's just that you've chosen to turn yourselves into soulless automatons whose very existence is a mockery of organic life and a perversion of the natural order of the galaxy.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
After all the updates and improvements, I wish name list mods didn't disable achievements. Ah well.

No really, started up a new game and am very happy with the anomaly and special project changes. Though did the game really have to spawn my stellar empire besides the Infinity Circuit, the Automated Dreadnought and an Ether Drake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is building tall still a recipe for disaster in the game? I am bad at this game and enjoy perfecting my little corner of the map and turning it into space Sweden, but I know that that is far from how you are “supposed” to play the game. If you bottleneck well and build up fortifications can you protect yourself from an end game crises at all?

There are tall research rush strats (like nexus by 2275) that seem good. You can do whatever you want and win if you adjust the galaxy gen settings enough.