Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Florida resident and Stein voter reporting in :mrapig:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1001955649184587776

make that money, Jill

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Oh hey, it's every single D&D centrist.

While not necessarily in the top 10%, I have basically zero doubt that the vast majority of those folks (or at least the younger ones < 35 or so*) at least make enough money that they can easily save for retirement, afford vacations, etc (or have a well-off family that makes a high-paying job less necessary). You can just tell based off the way a person perceives the world and responds to various issues.

* I mention this because some older liberals have a sort of "built in" aversion to the left that isn't necessarily motivated by a selfish desire to avoid higher taxes or whatever. The only time I've ever been wrong in my assumptions about someone being well-off was with this poster who was in their 40s, and upon further discussion I realized that they actually shared a lot of the same concerns and anger at the status quo, but had sort of "absorbed" a negative perception of the radical left not being credible (since that was basically the American status quo until the Great Recession or so).

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand alPaul posted:

Who would have thought the Heritage Foundation's bad-faith counter proposal to Hillarycare in 1994 would be a terrible law to implement in 2010.

not Hillary Clinton apparently

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

While not necessarily in the top 10%, I have basically zero doubt that the vast majority of those folks (or at least the younger ones < 35 or so*) at least make enough money that they can easily save for retirement, afford vacations, etc (or have a well-off family that makes a high-paying job less necessary). You can just tell based off the way a person perceives the world and responds to various issues.

* I mention this because some older liberals have a sort of "built in" aversion to the left that isn't necessarily motivated by a selfish desire to avoid higher taxes or whatever. The only time I've ever been wrong in my assumptions about someone being well-off was with this poster who was in their 40s, and upon further discussion I realized that they actually shared a lot of the same concerns and anger at the status quo, but had sort of "absorbed" a negative perception of the radical left not being credible (since that was basically the American status quo until the Great Recession or so).

I mean look no further than the fact that they were posting their tax savings under Trump's tax plan lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, most definitely.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Who could have known?

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1002027126818852864?s=19

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Answer: Jeb! #PleaseClap

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

does this surprise absolutely anyone?

also didnt she pay for the recounts anyway and then have many millions of dollars left over? i recall her increasing her fundraising goal many times as she kept breaking it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

switzerland does, iirc

i think switzerland and maybe germany have private insurers but with strict government price controls

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would be mad except all the abuse Stein has taken from the actual people in power and how she was the sensible pragmatic compromise candidate on climate change yet portrayed as the crazy crystal lady as far as I’m concerned makes her totally entitled to do what the gently caress ever

she earned her grift and was trying to get Hillary installed in the White House so lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

I would be mad except all the abuse Stein has taken from the actual people in power and how she was the sensible pragmatic compromise candidate on climate change yet portrayed as the crazy crystal lady as far as I’m concerned makes her totally entitled to do what the gently caress ever

she earned her grift and was trying to get Hillary installed in the White House so lol

precisely

trevor_noah.gif gently caress that and gently caress you etc

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Just loving lol if you didn't know Stein was scamming people from the beginning (and applauding her for it)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

stein grifting a few million from democrats who were deluded enough to think the recounts would change anything is small potatoes compared to hillary grifting democrats to buy and repay political favors by spending money on useless consultants

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Just loving lol if you didn't know Stein was scamming people from the beginning (and applauding her for it)

it owned

the only post-11/9 pre-inauguration idea dumber than thinking the recounts would change the outcome was the idea that a letter-writing campaign to trump's handpicked electors would change their minds

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Shear Modulus posted:

it owned

the only post-11/9 pre-inauguration idea dumber than thinking the recounts would change the outcome was the idea that a letter-writing campaign to trump's handpicked electors would change their minds

No, that would be thinking a personalized video from the cast of the West Wing to members of the electoral college would change anything

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

these same democrats re-funded a rarely used gop campiagn office that was rightfully torched in chudland and shamed anybody who tried to talk sense to them

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

stein grifting a few million from democrats who were deluded enough to think the recounts would change anything is small potatoes compared to hillary grifting democrats to buy and repay political favors by spending money on useless consultants

literally a billion dollar campaign where most of the money went to rich white people who did nothing but flail about and try to shame people into forsaking their material needs and voting Hillary

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nonsense posted:

these same democrats re-funded a rarely used gop campiagn office that was rightfully torched in chudland and shamed anybody who tried to talk sense to them

the same state that banned trans women from using the bathroom too. wow it’s almost like the Democrats hate anyone who isn’t a white man

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

something about a new owner buying them out, i'm sure.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nonsense posted:

Hillsborough is not really chudland.

And it was in use.

But local GOP was very likely actual goddamn Nazis like the arsonist graffiti said.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

We should salute her for taking money from our ideological enemies.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nonsense posted:

jesus christ I remember this and a bunch of idiots defending their donation

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dont hold it against anyone for voting for jill stein if the reason was to say "i vote, gently caress you"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

:wrong:

they raised the money and the dnc refused to do a recount because, you're not going to loving believe this, it would look bad

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

:wrong:

they raised the money and the dnc refused to do a recount because, you're not going to loving believe this, it would look bad

Not that I do not find that very likely. As libs gotta jerk off to :decorum: but link?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

WampaLord posted:

jesus christ I remember this and a bunch of idiots defending their donation

that gofundme encapsulated the failings of American liberalism so perfectly that I still can’t believe Hillary’s campaign didn’t endorse it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
this timestamp should be close enough (19 minutes-ish if it doesn't auto snap to, clinton name drop at 21:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Wo55F08-Y&t=1154s

e: actually that's a bad timestamp, let me rewatch this on 2x real quick
e2: it's closer to 20 minutes in
e3: a clinton staffer being a real piece of poo poo at 25 minutes in

Phone has issued a correction as of 05:15 on May 31, 2018

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

“7 million dollars isn’t cool. you wanna know what’s cool? a billion dollars”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol, the dem governor of NJ signed a law reinstating the insurance mandate. The money collected from the uninsured will be given to the three private insurers in the state's obamacare market.

quote:

The state expects to collect between $90 million and $100 million in penalties. That money would fund a reinsurance program, which Murphy also signed into law on Wednesday. The cost estimate is based on $93.9 million the Internal Revenue Service collected from the more than 188,500 New Jersey residents who paid the penalty under the federal mandate.

The reinsurance legislation, NJ S1878 (18R), will establish a program to help insurers cover the cost of the most expensive Obamacare patients.

Three insurers offered Obamacare plans in New Jersey this year: Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, AmeriHealth New Jersey and Oscar Health.

The state is counting on the federal government to cover around half the cost of the program, which Vitale estimates could cost $275 million.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

When you run on the platform of taxing millionares then decide to just tax poor people more instead.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willa Rogers posted:

lol, the dem governor of NJ signed a law reinstating the insurance mandate. The money collected from the uninsured will be given to the three private insurers in the state's obamacare market.

murphy was cool for about ten minutes i guess

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
who the gently caress are all these idiots cheering on a god damned mandate

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Office Pig posted:

who the gently caress are all these idiots cheering on a god damned mandate

liberals

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Nanomashoes posted:

When you run on the platform of taxing millionares then decide to just tax poor people more instead.

In his defense, the democrat controlled assembly is dragging their feet on that millionaires tax that’s gonna pass anyday now just you see

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Weird how when it comes to blaming voters for a loss liberals suddenly understand that Democrats are at a state where shithead libertarian voters could just as easily vote for them and that green voters wouldn't vote Republican despite all their horseshoe theory BS.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's not Full Communism Now, and neither is it UHC, but how radical of an idea would be to invert the mandate and instead hit the insurance companies with a (meaningful) fine for every uninsured person in their jurisdiction.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's not Full Communism Now, and neither is it UHC, but how radical of an idea would be to invert the mandate and instead hit the insurance companies with a (meaningful) fine for every uninsured person in their jurisdiction.

Because insurance companies are a scam that exist only under crapitalism in that it's where you go and pay for a service that exists solely to deny you the very loving thing you're paying for (healthcare!)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

gradenko_2000 posted:

They would just pass on the cost to their actual customers, which would provide further disincentive for people to purchase coverage, creating a feedback loop that would collapse the insurance market. You can't really do anything without meaningful price controls via either nationalized medicine or monopolized bargaining power through single-payer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They would just pass on the cost to their actual customers, which would provide further disincentive for people to purchase coverage, creating a feedback loop that would collapse the insurance market. You can't really do anything without meaningful price controls via either nationalized medicine or monopolized bargaining power through single-payer.

Thank you! This is the kind of response I was looking for.

• Locked thread