Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mercrom posted:

Am I reading the gem wrong or does Charged Dash effectively deal 400% base damage in its entire area if you hold it at max distance?

Yeah I get about that amount too.

Fenris13 posted:

You aren't reading the gem wrong, but the gem lacks some information about the skill, namely that it pulses once every two attack periods, not every single attack period, so it is 184% damage from holding.

Oh, that explains it. That's weird though, shouldn't it be 50% less attack speed or something in that case? Why have the more attack speed if it doesn't actually do anything for half of your attacks?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
The more attack speed modifies everything charged dash does, the entire attack period is 60% faster. It is just that each stage takes one attack period to reach, and each attack pulse takes two.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Fenris13 posted:

The more attack speed modifies everything charged dash does, the entire attack period is 60% faster. It is just that each stage takes one attack period to reach, and each attack pulse takes two.

this is breaking my brain

Edit: Not unprecedented though. Cyclone tooltip is stupid too.

Mercrom fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 31, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TheRat posted:

vaal breach has been in the game for a long time

Huh, no poo poo, never seen anyone bring it up before.

Hey, with that new Soul Ripper flask, I wonder if you could use that with Vaal Breach and a Headhunter to get like 2000 buffs?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Has anyone theorycrafted out a decent Rain of Arrows build? It's my tentative thought for a second build but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what it would prioritize. The new description is weird: it targets enemies in the area with half the arrows, but my assumption is multiple arrows won't target one enemy. Can they still get hit twice: once bny the targeted arrow and once by a random arrow? Also should I build it out as elemental, pure phys, bleeding, crit, etc.

And then of course: self fired, traps / mines or ranged attack totems. The concept of four Heiro totems firing rains of arrows paints an amazing image in my mind.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Huh, no poo poo, never seen anyone bring it up before.

Hey, with that new Soul Ripper flask, I wonder if you could use that with Vaal Breach and a Headhunter to get like 2000 buffs?

Vaal Breach mobs don't grant souls. They grant flask charges and yeah Headhunter can steal mods from the rare mobs in the breach. Also leech targets and other on-hit effects. Nothing else though.

Regardless, it's an incredibly rare gem.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Vaal Breach mobs don't grant souls. They grant flask charges and yeah Headhunter can steal mods from the rare mobs in the breach. Also leech targets and other on-hit effects. Nothing else though.

Ah, gotcha. It would still be funny if GGG hosed up and introduced a bug where the Soul Ripper's "Vaal Skills Userd During Effect Do Not Apply Soul Gain Prevention" allowed you to gain souls from Vaal Breach. If the mobs have the same flag in the programming it could happen.

Mo_Steel posted:

The new description is weird: it targets enemies in the area with half the arrows, but my assumption is multiple arrows won't target one enemy. Can they still get hit twice: once bny the targeted arrow and once by a random arrow?

It doesn't target enemies, it targets "location", which I think makes it ground targeted, and ground targeted skills can always shotgun a single enemy.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Mercrom posted:

this is breaking my brain

Edit: Not unprecedented though. Cyclone tooltip is stupid too.

Lets say you have a 0.2 attack speed, or 5 attacks per second, as your base without using charged dash. While using charged dash you will have 60% more attack speed, so 5 * 1.6 or 8 aps, this means that you will generate 8 stages of charged dash per second, and 4 attack pulses. We don't know how many stages charged dash caps out at, and you don't get the bonus 150% more damage untill you hit the max stage, so if the skill maxes out at 8 stages, only the 4th attack pulse, and any that followed if you over charged, would get that bonus, the other 3 would hit for regular 95% damage. If Charged dash maxes out at 4 stages, then the first pulse would do 95% damage, but each of the next 3 during the first second would get the 150% more bonus, for total of 3 hits at .95 * 2.5, or 235%. If you keep charging past this, you get 4 pulses per second of 235% damage each, but that is compared to your regular 5 attacks per second, so you end up with 2.35 * .8 or 188% of your base dps.

*edit*
Re: Rain of Arrows, I think that once a mob has been selected as a target for an arrow to land on, it is no longer consider a valid target for further arrows, thus against a single target you will have 1 guaranteed hit, and 21 randomly placed explosions each with the potential to overlap and hit the target, but none of them guaranteed too.

Fenris13 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 31, 2018

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

It doesn't target enemies, it targets "location", which I think makes it ground targeted, and ground targeted skills can always shotgun a single enemy.

It was confusing me because they describe it as targeting enemies too, but I think you're right based on the numbers they assigned for Damage Effectiveness:

Rain of Arrows
  • Previously dealt damage in an area based on weapon damage.
  • Now fires a number of arrows across the area, dealing damage based on weapon damage with each one. Half of these arrows will target enemies in the area, while the rest will target the area at set ranges from the centre at random.
  • Now has an added damage effectiveness and base damage of 40% at gem level 1 (down from 110%), up to 50% at gem level 20 (down from 129%).
Dropping the Added Damage Effectiveness so low makes me think the intention is to shotgun when there are few targets; that's similar damage effectiveness to Firestorm and Blast Rain.

The post they made over a month back had a very brief clip that sort of looks like that final enemy gets a tighter cluster than the rest: Linked vid

e: But they also say ""Additional Arrows" add more arrows spread out over additional outer rings, increasing the total spread of damage without impacting damage to individual targets." I'm probably just going to have to try it with my second character and just see how it acts against a boss like Merveil.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 31, 2018

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vaal breach itself is actually not that rare, but you have to vaal portal gems inside a zana breach map to get them

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Reading the BV changes, the base damage, radius, and duration are unchanged, the max blades has decreased by half, the hit rate and more damage per blade have increased, and it's gained an increased critical strikes mod. Low stack counts will clearly be better for, um, clear. Has anyone spreadsheeted out the difference between ten and twenty stacks for single target yet?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lol stuff being nerfed like hours after the patch notes come out. Kinda funny. Incinerate are a Nerf too. Dunno why they don't just let some stuff go in as is, but I guess they don't want to Nerf it a week into the league.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Aw dammit, they did nerf Incinerate. Was 163-245 flat, now 129-194.

Lame.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

queeb posted:

Lol stuff being nerfed like hours after the patch notes come out. Kinda funny. Incinerate are a Nerf too. Dunno why they don't just let some stuff go in as is, but I guess they don't want to Nerf it a week into the league.

They have a (probably very good) policy not to nerf skills or items right after people invested time into them unless they are absolutely game breakingly bugged or overtuned.

Nobody would be very happy if a week into a league their main character was suddenly 30% weaker and couldn't do what they were doing yesterday.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
For anyone looking for a starter build (that is almost guaranteed not to be nerfed/buffed and has no one else chasing the uniques at all)...

I remembered there was a goon during Bestiary called "Raining Nicicles" who was blowing up the whole loving screen with ice and showing up my PPVD (and all the other goons in the party), I looked into it and I guess he was using The Whispering Ice. Googling some more I found this 3.3 build guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PMTrvzlA-Y

Honestly that looks like a really, really inexpensive build that can still smoke Shaper and other endgame content. I grabbed a 6-socket on Standard for 1 chaos just to see, and without even adjusting my golemancer build, I was smoking red maps just with the Icestorm.

Nicicles, sorry if I'm cramping your style but it seems like way too good of a starter not to share.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Nicicles, sorry if I'm cramping your style but it seems like way too good of a starter not to share.

I'm not Nicicles, but I doubt you're cramping anyone. I think I first used a version of that build in...Breach league I think (since that's when CwC appeared?), so it's been around for a bit and fairly well known. It is definitely really cheap and good as a starter build, I think the only issue some people have with it is the whole standing in place to channel and taking a while to ramp up the damage. Didn't turn me off it though, and have used it as a league starter several times due to the combination of being really cheap and able to do most stuff in a fairly safe way.

Valle fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 31, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Valle posted:

I'm not Nicicles, but I doubt you're cramping anyone. I think I first used a version of that build in...Breach league I think (since that's when CwC appeared?), so it's been around for a bit and fairly well known. It is definitely really cheap and good as a starter build, I think the only issue some people have with it is the whole standing in place to channel and taking a while to ramp up the damage. Didn't turn me off it though, and have used it as a league starter several times due to the combination of being really cheap and able to do most stuff in a fairly safe way.

Yeah totally. Maybe for maps where Scorching Ray isn't warranted, you could use the new Charged Dash; you lose some damage from the lowered resistances but you don't have to stop casting to run around.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

queeb posted:

whypick1 posted:

Aw dammit, they did nerf Incinerate. Was 163-245 flat, now 129-194.

Lame.

How the gently caress do you nerf a thing that doesn't even exist

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Icestorm is indeed strong and cheap, but you'll notice it lacks a good mobility option which can make it feel sluggish for just clearing maps.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
CWC is the gamechanger for Icestorm because self-cast feels like utter crap to play due to small AoE. I tried self-cast in Legacy and uuuugh. Combined with the mentioned low mobility and it was Not Fun. With CWC the coverage is much better for clearing but it still feels clunky as hell to me.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Arzachel posted:

How the gently caress do you nerf a thing that doesn't even exist

:rip: Incinerate, trickstered just like Trickster

also Icestorm works with Trap, Mine and Spell Totem support if you don't want to self cast it, my Problem is you need to play a CI build as a starter, which just gives me goosebumps

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Since storm burst and arc both got huge buffs, I might try that build Mathil made back in like 3.0

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Since I'm off the first three days I guess I'm just gonna do a jugg starter of some sort and just farm the poo poo out of lab and atziri to build currency.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Looks like they've added the missing gems to the incursion gems announcement post - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2150625

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

If anyone wants to simulate single target arc in PoB, here's how I did it

Go to items, click "Create Custom" and paste the following code:
code:
Arc Simulation
Cobalt Jewel
Crafted: true
Prefix: {range:0.5}PercentIncreasedLifeJewel
Prefix: None
Suffix: {range:0.5}SpellDamageJewel
Suffix: {range:0.5}SpellCritMultiplier
Quality: 0
LevelReq: 0
Implicits: 0
11% increased Spell Damage
+14% to Critical Strike Multiplier for Spells
6% increased maximum Life
135% more damage
That gives you a jewel that simulates arc with 9 chains remaining. (the rest is just a random 3prop jewel for spell crit)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
So, BV math. Let's go with a base damage of 100, for simplicity's sake.

At 10 stacks, it now hits 350% faster, compared to 200% faster at 20 stacks previously, meaning it capped at 5 hits per second before and now will be up to 7.5 hits per second, so it's hitting 50% faster overall.

The damage caps at 350% more at 10 blades, compared to 600% more at 20 before, so 450 per hit versus 700. At 50% faster hit rate, it'll deal 675 in the same period of time.

The big difference here is that Spell Echo can be dropped for another damage support without really impacting the ability to get to max damage potential. Short of bosses where you could spin up to full ahead of time, BV will probably be stronger overall. Much better for clear, and better for hard fights where you can't stand around to spin up to 20 blades.

Oh, and you also get a free 100% increased crit chance now, because why not. That'll add a decent chunk to your effective DPS, as well. This is a buff.

Someone tell me if I'm completely wrong/an idiot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Am I dumb, or would Frostferno be really, really good for full fire Elemental Hit builds?

Or would the cold to fire gem not work that way?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 31, 2018

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

theshim posted:

So, BV math. Let's go with a base damage of 100, for simplicity's sake.

At 10 stacks, it now hits 350% faster, compared to 200% faster at 20 stacks previously, meaning it capped at 5 hits per second before and now will be up to 7.5 hits per second, so it's hitting 50% faster overall.

The damage caps at 350% more at 10 blades, compared to 600% more at 20 before, so 450 per hit versus 700. At 50% faster hit rate, it'll deal 675 in the same period of time.

The big difference here is that Spell Echo can be dropped for another damage support without really impacting the ability to get to max damage potential. Short of bosses where you could spin up to full ahead of time, BV will probably be stronger overall. Much better for clear, and better for hard fights where you can't stand around to spin up to 20 blades.

Oh, and you also get a free 100% increased crit chance now, because why not. That'll add a decent chunk to your effective DPS, as well. This is a buff.

Someone tell me if I'm completely wrong/an idiot.

plus you get to poo poo out vaal BV for that extra 3 (+duration stuff) seconds of like 65% more damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

queeb posted:

plus you get to poo poo out vaal BV for that extra 3 (+duration stuff) seconds of like 65% more damage.

Assuming your using a level 20 vaal BV instead of a lvl 21 regular BV, unless your a moneybags or got super lucky at the corruption altar and got a 21 Vaal.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Is there a good arc trap starter? Maybe I was looking in the wrong place on the poe forums, but I couldn't find one.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Search for arc mines instead and just replace the corresponding mine gems with trap ones. Was thinking of arc traps too but I don't really see many advantages over mines except obviously the feel of playing with them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

I don't really see many advantages over mines except obviously the feel of playing with them.

I dont really get this argument. For me, mines feel a lot better to play with mechanically on skills that auto target like arc and gc etc. Traps feel better on poo poo you have to manually aim.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

nerox posted:

Is there a good arc trap starter? Maybe I was looking in the wrong place on the poe forums, but I couldn't find one.

A bunch of them got posted over the last few pages

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't really get why so many people seem to hate mines playstyle. Maybe it's just because I've never used a T1 clearspeed build but mines feels pretty smooth to me

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't really get why so many people seem to hate mines playstyle. Maybe it's just because I've never used a T1 clearspeed build but mines feels pretty smooth to me

I found GC mines to be very irritating. Spend a few seconds farting them out, then blow em up manually, or drop a totem and then start mining but then your totem dies and you're hosed, or while you're dropping mines the boss comes over and punches you, or...

I dunno. I think it was the mobility while mining? I found totems to be a lot better, because I can drop a few then start dodging like heck and still do damage, whereas mines you have to keep dropping them or else your damage goes down to exactly 0.

Never really trapped but I assume you can toss a bunch of traps, then dodge around while the mobs run over them, so you're not just in place while doing damage and moving while doing no damage?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I found GC mines to be very irritating. Spend a few seconds farting them out, then blow em up manually, or drop a totem and then start mining but then your totem dies and you're hosed, or while you're dropping mines the boss comes over and punches you, or...

I dunno. I think it was the mobility while mining? I found totems to be a lot better, because I can drop a few then start dodging like heck and still do damage, whereas mines you have to keep dropping them or else your damage goes down to exactly 0.

Never really trapped but I assume you can toss a bunch of traps, then dodge around while the mobs run over them, so you're not just in place while doing damage and moving while doing no damage?

yeah, so many encounters are tuned around you not stopping to put out damage unless you have leech even though a lot of builds fall into that category, like any miner.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jazerus posted:

yeah, so many encounters are tuned around you not stopping to put out damage unless you have leech even though a lot of builds fall into that category, like any miner.

there's your mining leech

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Qwertycoatl posted:

I did just a gc miner for two leagues now to get 36 challenges, which I wanted to do it without leveling another char for shaper/uber atziri. Nothing like playing a build where you kill any rares or packs instantly with barely any effort in gearing, even in t16.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

silvergoose posted:

That's exactly the same though - when you're running around you aren't doing any new damage, you're just waiting for the damage you already did to have an effect.

I found one or two placements per manual detonate worked fine, and for the totem it's either bosses where you can place it off to the side easily enough or breaches/abysses where you place before opening and the monsters can't touch the totem because they keep getting one-shot (GC's absurd damage helps a lot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

TheRat posted:

I dont really get this argument. For me, mines feel a lot better to play with mechanically on skills that auto target like arc and gc etc. Traps feel better on poo poo you have to manually aim.

You bring up really good points. I watched this video a couple of months ago, and I thought I'd post it, since we're talking about trappers and miners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8qel0yurJI

It really shows off the power of a single target miner, on a relative budget.

For me, I really want to try out the sustain from Tinkerskin combined with Pyromaniac and MoM, so I'm leaning toward trapper.