Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grittybeard posted:

Probably just trying to get away from Jeff Fisher really.

Never has a professional athlete been more relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

seiferguy posted:

Our running game should be a lot better. It's fine if you think taking an RB so early is a reach but it's hard to argue it won't improve.

I’d argue that Brian Schottenheimer is calling the plays, so it drat well could get worse.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d argue that Brian Schottenheimer is calling the plays, so it drat well could get worse.

From that perspective, sure. But from a personnel one it's absolutely gotten better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I love that Brian went to Georgia where they grow amazing running back prospects in labs on campus or something and the offensive problems actually often could have been solved by running the damned ball. Which is the only thing he might be good at.

And he sucked there too and got Mark Richt fired.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

seiferguy posted:

From that perspective, sure. But from a personnel one it's absolutely gotten better.

I don't understand how you've reached this conclusion. The team lost a ton of good players in FA, didn't pick up anyone too notable, and then had what seems to be one of the worst drafts of all the teams. I just don't understand how a round 3 RB (that's where he should've been anyways) is going to manage what several good RBs haven't behind that horrible o line. A bunch of defensive players and WRs that were reliable last year are gone as well . . .

I don't have anything against the Seahawks but I really think this next season is going to be rough. A lot of Seahawks fans who haven't known anything but extended success are going to be taken by surprise imo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Play posted:

I don't understand how you've reached this conclusion. The team lost a ton of good players in FA, didn't pick up anyone too notable, and then had what seems to be one of the worst drafts of all the teams. I just don't understand how a round 3 RB (that's where he should've been anyways) is going to manage what several good RBs haven't behind that horrible o line. A bunch of defensive players and WRs that were reliable last year are gone as well . . .

I don't have anything against the Seahawks but I really think this next season is going to be rough. A lot of Seahawks fans who haven't known anything but extended success are going to be taken by surprise imo

You know we still have one of the best QBs in football, right

You keep talking like this season is going to be some massive meltdown nobody saw coming when pretty much everyone in this thread agrees it's gonna just be boring and average-y, with Russ dragging them to 8-8 or whatever. "Welp gonna be a transition year" is not the Earth-shattering revelation you keep making it out as.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Benne posted:

You keep talking like this season is going to be some massive meltdown nobody saw coming when pretty much everyone in this thread agrees it's gonna just be boring and average-y, with Russ dragging them to 8-8 or whatever. "Welp gonna be a transition year" is not the Earth-shattering revelation you keep making it out as.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/comments/7s8tz1/looking_ahead_to_2018_season_where_do_you_pencil/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm optimistic because I believe in some of the younger players on our D, but as Mina Kimes put it the team got worse in the offseason, not better so logically they should do worse than last season. Also, factor in that there is potentially 2 really good teams in our conference.....

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 30, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Benne posted:

The Chargers have had one of the best QBs in football for a decade. It's not always enough, especially, as they've shown, when the o-line has big holes. :shrug:\

Also relevant:
https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1001931628652851201

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Benne posted:

There’s at least a couple of Hawks fans in the thread who think the team will be better than last year.

RWBS will certainly get them some wins, but they are one mild Russell Wilson leg injury away from being a 4 win team.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

welp

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s at least a couple of Hawks fans in the thread who think the team will be better than last year.

RWBS will certainly get them some wins, but they are one mild Russell Wilson leg injury away from being a 4 win team.

1. It is plausible that a health 2018 Seahawks team will have an equal or better record than the injured 2017 Seahawks team.

2. Wilson is a really good pocket passer too. He's not some one-trick pony. And if you are changing the claim from "mild" to more severe well then yeah every team is a big qb injury away from being a 4 win team.

3. Lol at the unstated implication that the team is bereft of talent outside of Wilson.

e: 19-0 Austin 3:16 bitch

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 30, 2018

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

And if you are changing the claim from "mild" to more severe well then yeah every team is a big qb injury away from being a 4 win team.

Not the Eagles, bitch.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Chichevache posted:

Not the Eagles, bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-P30M_7YEg

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
I'm here for the mea culpa re: Foster. Coldforge was right all along, the SC DA is loving insane. As a peace offering, I leave this-

https://twitter.com/smartfootball/status/1001904403492868097

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Plus we are now equipped with the unassailable lobster hierarchy mindset from the Venerable Jordan Peterson. The sage mindwarrior whose soaring rhetoric has inspired countless internet nerds to transform from sad hopeless virgins with clothes strewn about their rooms into angry spiteful virgins who feel entitled to gently caress their crush because now the clothes are just in one corner of the room.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

2. Wilson is a really good pocket passer too. He's not some one-trick pony. And if you are changing the claim from "mild" to more severe well then yeah every team is a big qb injury away from being a 4 win team.

3. Lol at the unstated implication that the team is bereft of talent outside of Wilson.

Wilson just needs to get hurt badly enough to hamper his mobility, like a couple of seasons ago, and the Seahawks lose a large portion of what makes their offense click, infosar as it does click. He’s a good pocket passer, but not good enough to carry a team with one good receiver, bad line play, and Brian Schottenheimer.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

I just don't know how you look at that and say, without a hint of sarcasm, "yeah, the Seahawks will finish over .500 next season."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"But guyyyyys what if your star QB gets hurt" belongs in the No poo poo Sherlock wing of cold takes

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Are you allowed to take a sabbatical from watching football? Asking for a friend.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

seiferguy posted:

Are you allowed to take a sabbatical from watching football? Asking for a friend.

Jerry Jones says no, but you're allowed pick an AFC team to follow for a year or two.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
COUGS BINCH

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Benne posted:

"But guyyyyys what if your star QB gets hurt" belongs in the No poo poo Sherlock wing of cold takes

Every football player is varying degrees of hurt all the time. Wilson doesn’t need to get hurt badly to limit his ability to run. There’s a bunch of offenses that can still function just fine if their QB’s mobility is hampered, but Seattle’s isn’t one of them.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Every football player is varying degrees of hurt all the time. Wilson doesn’t need to get hurt badly to limit his ability to run. There’s a bunch of offenses that can still function just fine if their QB’s mobility is hampered, but Seattle’s isn’t one of them.

He is literally one of the best passers in the league.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/index.php?q=stat-analysis/2017/quarterbacks-and-pressure-2016

quote:

There's a good argument that Russell Wilson, since he entered the league in 2012, has the best overall stats of all these quarterbacks. His DVOA with pressure is second only to Roethlisberger, and his DVOA without pressure is the best in the league, even surpassing Brady's.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

His passing stats can’t be divorced from his ability to run. Teams spend resources game planning around the fact that he’s a danger to both pull it down and take off and also because he’s so slippery in the pocket that traditional edge pressure often simply doesn’t work and gives his receivers enough time to wiggle free.

In 2017 Wilson had the 31st highest time to throw in the league. He was holding on to the ball longer than just about anyone else, and that’s because he could. Would he still be as efficient if he needed to get rid of the ball a little quicker because he couldn’t dance around the pass rush?

And if you want to use FO to bolster your argument maybe you’d like to list where hey actually rank him for the last couple of years.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I agree, we shouldn't think he's really good just because he's really good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I agree, we shouldn't think he's really good just because he's really good.

I didn’t say he wasn’t good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

And if you want to use FO to bolster your argument maybe you’d like to list where hey actually rank him for the last couple of years.

So people don't have to look this up since you're a jerk and made me curious. League ranks:

2017 - DYAR (total production): 13th DVOA (per play): 15th
2016 - DYAR: 14 DVOA: 15
2015 - 3 & 3
2014 - 13 & 14
2013 - 9 & 8
2012 - 8 & 6

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Super solid for sure, I don't think anyone could ever argue that Russ isn't a good QB. I just wish he had more help. Last season was kind of painful because he wasn't able to play to his potential and I just think going into next season they haven't addressed those problems enough. The team is always scrappy but imagine if Russell had the kind of weapons that Brees, Roethlisburger, and Wentz had last season. Including a solid o line and productive run game to take some of the pressure off. That's where I'd love to see him, not struggling and having to come up with magic every game like this past season.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Its Rinaldo posted:

COUGS LUTES BINCH

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
https://twitter.com/ChrisWesseling/status/1002242117354143745

The top and the bottom lines are extremely topical.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
So is the third line tbh

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Jared Goff owns

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

So is the third line tbh

We haven't even mentioned them by name, and I'm already bored of the Ra...:tootzzz:

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Coldforge posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisWesseling/status/1002242117354143745

The top and the bottom lines are extremely topical.

Interesting that Wilson had the most amount of drives per that section of the list.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Jimmy G so generous in his five starts he gives the ball back each game! 7 TDs to 5 ints! What a guy!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Tank44 posted:

Interesting that Wilson had the most amount of drives per that section of the list.

Pretty good defense plus an offense that puts together a bunch of 3 and outs leads to a lot of possessions.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pretty good defense plus an offense that puts together a bunch of 3 and outs leads to a lot of possessions.

Also no RB to speak of.
code:
Player		Att	Yds	Yds/Att	Long	TD
Eddie Lacy	69	179	2.6	19	0
Mike Davis	68	240	3.5	33	0
Thomas Rawls	58	157	2.7	23	0
Chris Carson	49	208	4.2	30	0
J.D. McKissic	46	187	4.1	30	1
C.J. Prosise	11	23	2.1	8	0
Yes, that's for an entire season.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Coldforge posted:

Also no RB to speak of.
code:
Player		Att	Yds	Yds/Att	Long	TD
Eddie Lacy	69	179	2.6	19	0
Mike Davis	68	240	3.5	33	0
Thomas Rawls	58	157	2.7	23	0
Chris Carson	49	208	4.2	30	0
J.D. McKissic	46	187	4.1	30	1
C.J. Prosise	11	23	2.1	8	0
Yes, that's for an entire season.

This is why hawks fans are optimistic. The run game pretty much cannot get worse and despite all that bullshit the team was still 9-7

Looking forward to a 7-9 or 9-7 season. Should be fun to see a new team coalescing. Gonna 4 yard curl our way down the field. Also that schottenhiemer thing about being good at running even when they know you are running is how the team talks about most things. Plenty of talk how the defense doesn't do anything crazy scheme wise just was good even though people knew what they were doing

We'll see.if that holds true for this next Seahawks.defense but I'm excited for the season and possibly to be done watching football in 3-5 years if current NFL trends continue and my conscience grows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
For the record, that adds up to 997 yards; 6 RBs put together couldn't even get to 1000 yards for an entire season. If Russell hadn't played so bad in December (imo because he was pressing too much, it seemed almost reactive to the buzz he was getting about being the team's entire offense) we'd probably be talking about him getting snubbed for MVP

e: I mean seriously, that's the RB equivalent of the Browns QB hydra

• Locked thread