Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Terratina posted:

Though did the game really have to spawn my stellar empire besides the Infinity Circuit, the Automated Dreadnought and an Ether Drake?

That's a really good start, provided you aren't blocked in. The Drake and Infinity Machine both have rewards that require controlling their respective systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
In one of my games I started since 2.1, I had a weird instance where an entire neighbouring empire just suddenly vanished off of the galaxy. They were honourbound warriors, but they were nice to me because I out-teched and out-produced them by a substantial margin. They had a rebellion as those kind of empires seem to at the moment, then a few years later they just disappeared. The only thing left behind was the single system that the rebels controlled. There were no stations, no starbases, no buildings on planets...it was as if they had been wiped clean away.

It was a little spooky to be honest, I had not even seen the Worm yet this game either!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

That's a really good start, provided you aren't blocked in. The Drake and Infinity Machine both have rewards that require controlling their respective systems.

Yeah I'm always ecstatic about finding the Drake. Whaddduuuuppp super awesome armor.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Sometimes my fleets will use their jump drives unnecessarily and it's loving up all my war planning, especially when I'm trying to coordinate two stacks to clean up a particularly tough federation fleet. Don't have any explanation why a fleet would decide that the enemy fleet in the adjacent system necessitates jumping five systems away to the other side of the enemy empire, but that happened and my other fleet had to withdraw with losses as a result.

Shouldn't have been the result of FTL blockers, I controlled the neighboring system already. All I know is that I queued the attack order, zoomed in on the enemy system to watch the engagement, and went WTF when the movement line for my fleet flipped from one border to the other.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is building tall still a recipe for disaster in the game? I am bad at this game and enjoy perfecting my little corner of the map and turning it into space Sweden, but I know that that is far from how you are “supposed” to play the game. If you bottleneck well and build up fortifications can you protect yourself from an end game crises at all?

I'm doing a life seeded game where I didn't take any planets for the first hundred years and now only have four. You can fortify key choke points better than you could before the hyperlane update and your allies are more reliable. Once you start littering the galaxy with research habitats you can colonize new planets and devote them solely to minerals unity and energy. It's 2330 and I have titans and 4 ascension perks with a big federation on my side. If the nasty poo poo spawns on top of me I'm hosed for sure but if it spawns anywhere else I'll be alright. I even have a second tier of defensive Starbases around my home system and habitats so the window is pretty small.

The smaller your footprint the less likely it is you get got.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I just realized that being unable to declare rivals as a Driven Assimilator means I can't sic the raiders on anyone, that's some lame poo poo right there.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

isndl posted:

Sometimes my fleets will use their jump drives unnecessarily and it's loving up all my war planning, especially when I'm trying to coordinate two stacks to clean up a particularly tough federation fleet. Don't have any explanation why a fleet would decide that the enemy fleet in the adjacent system necessitates jumping five systems away to the other side of the enemy empire, but that happened and my other fleet had to withdraw with losses as a result.

Shouldn't have been the result of FTL blockers, I controlled the neighboring system already. All I know is that I queued the attack order, zoomed in on the enemy system to watch the engagement, and went WTF when the movement line for my fleet flipped from one border to the other.

...I've never seen my own fleets use Jump Drives of their own accord.

Also I've been playing too many peaceful empires. I should do something more aggressive.

I don't know if it's specifically due to Glavius' AI but the game I'm in right now has the most powerful AI empires I've ever seen. It's 2408, everyone's at endgame tech, and the galaxy is split between three powers (Me and my vassals, Danietan and their federation, and Estwani and their tributaries) plus two powerful independent holdouts.

And despite my being the top of the tech ladder, the power levels of this galaxy are insane.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 31, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Same. I didn't even know they could.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
AFAIK they can't, it's a deliberate action the player makes.

Unless they have a mod or something for it?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

AFAIK they can't, it's a deliberate action the player makes.

Unless they have a mod or something for it?

No mods, I didn't believe it could have been jump drive either until I moused over the jump button and the tooltip said it was on cooldown. :shrug:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
My wife designed the species in my current game. Naturally, she picked a ~cute~ portrait and made herself Queen.

So of course I completed an event chain that accidentally turned them all into the loving Blorg

Even the princess, and heir to the throne was not spared:

Wiz's strategy all along was to ruin my marriage so I would spent even more time and money on his video games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Epicurius posted:

It's nothing personal against you. It's just that you've chosen to turn yourselves into soulless automatons whose very existence is a mockery of organic life and a perversion of the natural order of the galaxy.

Basically I like to think that when you upload yourself into robobodies you devote a little subroutine to just constantly emailing the spiritualists talking about the perfect euphoria of the synthetically rational mind and they just get really loving sick of it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

isndl posted:

No mods, I didn't believe it could have been jump drive either until I moused over the jump button and the tooltip said it was on cooldown. :shrug:

The only time I've seen them use a jump drive is if they're following a fleet and that fleet uses the drive. Surely when you issue the move order you can see that their path will not involve a jump?

I plan a route then try to work out the most effective jump location to make it quicker - I'm certain they never jump on their own. Even reinforcements will try to go the long way round if you jump while they're on their way.

*edit* fun fact - transport ship jump drive cool downs reset after every invasion which is useful as hell.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 31, 2018

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

What's the general feeling for fleet composition right now anyway? I'm finally at a point where I can afford both a main fleet for actual fighting and a bunch of smaller fast corvette fleets for rapid response.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
More post-launch support for this week:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-117-niven-post-launch-support-part-2.1102457/

Of note is that they're going to be reworking the L-Gate quest so that it's less likely to totally gently caress over an unprepared galaxy and be more interesting than 'completely empty' or 'never ending waves of death'. They're also continuing to look into the performance issues for the late game but even the current beta batch does a pretty solid job of that.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Whorelord posted:

What's the general feeling for fleet composition right now anyway? I'm finally at a point where I can afford both a main fleet for actual fighting and a bunch of smaller fast corvette fleets for rapid response.

i usually have two mixed fleets set in a way that the naval capacity usage is equal between ship sizes and usually dont bother with 'rapid response' since i build a huge fuckoff gate network as early as possible

Psychotic Weasel posted:

More post-launch support for this week:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-117-niven-post-launch-support-part-2.1102457/

Of note is that they're going to be reworking the L-Gate quest so that it's less likely to totally gently caress over an unprepared galaxy and be more interesting than 'completely empty' or 'never ending waves of death'. They're also continuing to look into the performance issues for the late game but even the current beta batch does a pretty solid job of that.

good b/c the L-gate is astoundingly easy to research an open early which is basically "i'm tired of living". And man do they cluster. My first game i had 5 gates in my territory, my second game i have 0 gates in my much larger territory

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 31, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I literally threw away goodwill with my allies to take over some admittedly super dickish imperialists who had first taken a system between my two expansions that was the only connection and then closed borders with me, just so I could get the 3 L-Gates they had in their territory because despite owning nearly a fifth of the entire galaxy, not a single one spawned in my space, but 3 spawned within 2 jumps of each other in these jerk's space.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

"I guess I better spent my Ascension Point on something, maybe Master of Nature?"
*Clicks Land Clearance button on 11 Gaia World*
"Uh... sure I'll take 3 more Betharion Stone tiles"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I kind of like that you can get access to the L-Gates so early simply because so many cool things in Stellaris are relegated to the late game.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I wish Fallen Empires were more interesting before they awaken. I'd like to see border events similar to the ones you get with marauders.

Speaking of marauders, has anybody ever had the 'Revenge' event fire successfully? I get the popup but no fleet ever appears.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, question, does the Pulsating Star event always lead into the scientist actually being insane or does it have other results?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

iospace posted:

Also, question, does the Pulsating Star event always lead into the scientist actually being insane or does it have other results?

I'm kind of curious, every time I get it it's just a roundabout way to murder my scientist. I actually figured it was a way to trigger the Spectral Wraith, since I haven't seen that boyo in eons.

I'm equally curious if the brain slugs have a bad outcome, or if the planetary fungus or carnivorous plants events ever do anything interesting.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

iospace posted:

Sometimes it gives +8 energy to a star.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

iospace posted:

it seems to lean overwhelmingly to 'bye bye scientist' enough that i don't ever do it anymore

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least with improbable ceramics, you have a chance of a good research boost, and if you fail you get a somewhat decent reward.

And hilarious flavor text too.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

iospace posted:

At least with improbable ceramics, you have a chance of a good research boost, and if you fail you get a somewhat decent reward.

And hilarious flavor text too.

I honestly prefer the +150 influence over the research boost and hope for the 'failed' result. Especially in the early game when that's (at minimum) two additional systems you can claim which can be pivotal when trying to rush a chokepoint or habitable planets.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

iospace posted:

Ive had it give me a few thousand minerals in thousand blocks before

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wyld Karde posted:

Sometimes it gives +8 energy to a star.

You can also get some physics If you get the "instrumental malfunction" ending where the scientist goes "oops, my Bad" and gains some experience.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Chalks posted:

The only time I've seen them use a jump drive is if they're following a fleet and that fleet uses the drive. Surely when you issue the move order you can see that their path will not involve a jump?

I plan a route then try to work out the most effective jump location to make it quicker - I'm certain they never jump on their own. Even reinforcements will try to go the long way round if you jump while they're on their way.

*edit* fun fact - transport ship jump drive cool downs reset after every invasion which is useful as hell.

Yeah, I'm a hundred percent certain I didn't order a jump myself, especially because I'm trying to take down a big federation fleet and I certainly didn't want a -50% damage debuff for that. I have no idea how it happened. There's also been some cases where enemy fleets just mysteriously disappear while I'm looking at them in a system (since I queued up an attack order to mop up) with no animation at all but that's a different matter. I think they were emergency FTL escapes because I couldn't locate that fleet nearby, but who knows. :iiam:

I should probably switch to the beta patch since there's just general weirdness with fleets right now, fleet power numbers keep jumping, reinforcements cause fleets to go over 100% armor/shields and trigger fleet repaired notifications when it drops back down to 100%, and I had the one battle report with 154 thousand corvettes participating.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Huh, it looks like the end of Horizon Signal auto-scales itself to your fleet strength. I didn't know that. It ended up just fighting my supposedly 'weaker' starbase and not doing much as it slowly got ground down.

Meanwhile - I feel like I'm getting close to being capped on resources, but I'm well and truly in the midgame as the map is pretty full of empires and wars are starting as people get boxed in. What did I do wrong and how can I do better in future to not be almost drowning in resources? Make more starbases and ships early?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

bewilderment posted:

Huh, it looks like the end of Horizon Signal auto-scales itself to your fleet strength. I didn't know that. It ended up just fighting my supposedly 'weaker' starbase and not doing much as it slowly got ground down.

Meanwhile - I feel like I'm getting close to being capped on resources, but I'm well and truly in the midgame as the map is pretty full of empires and wars are starting as people get boxed in. What did I do wrong and how can I do better in future to not be almost drowning in resources? Make more starbases and ships early?

If you’re capped on resources, buy stuff. This applies at any phase of the game. It doesn’t sound to me like you did anything wrong, just sounds like you’re at the midgame. If you can’t find anything to spend money on, go start a war.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That’s why I don’t like the megastructure cap at the endgame. If I’m maxing out my resources and I’m at war and already building a megastructure, why can’t I build another one?

isndl
May 2, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Terraform planets, build more stuff. Buy the buffs from Curators/Artists/Traders if you haven't already. You can effectively bank infinite minerals by queuing up ships and constantly canceling before they finish but that needs you to pay attention and micro. If you're not at fleet cap, get to fleet cap. Take the megastructures ascension perks and wish you had more minerals for the rest of the game. Feed your vassals/protectorates if you have any, or give some to an ally or underdog on the other side of the map. Make a sector and use them as a second stockpile you can raid using influence later.

The only time I've had issues with resource caps is influence as robots, 6 influence/mo starts adding up fast when there's nothing left to claim and only a couple edicts to use (plus your leader is immortal so quickly max level and makes the edicts last even longer). Megastructures become the only remaining influence sink and the one at a time limitation keeps you from queuing them up when necessary sometimes (assuming you have sufficient minerals to spare in the first place, Dyson spheres need ridiculous amounts). Less of an issue if you're warring since you can always make claims but when I'm building megastructures I'm avoiding wars to try and bank more minerals.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So which Ascension perks and ethos combinations do you guys usually pick?

I've picked the research one a lot but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just take something else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I almost invariably go for all 3 megastructure perks, 2 ascension perks, and defender of the galaxy, world shaper, and then something between consecrated worlds/force projection/mastery of nature/eternal vigilance.

I'm probably going to install a mod for more of them at some point because most of those are non negotiable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koorisch posted:

So which Ascension perks and ethos combinations do you guys usually pick?

I've picked the research one a lot but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just take something else.

Every game the same boring chain of picks.
-The research one
-Voidborn
-Cybernetic
-Maybe Enigmatic Engineering if I think I might get into wars
-Master Builders
-Wonders
-Maybe the one that gives a big bonus to FE's if I'll need it
-Defender of the Galaxy to stand a chance against the crisis.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Honestly it feels like they should just mash Voidborne and Master Builders together into one perk because if you can make big-rear end space stations like that you probably are a master builder already.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Megastructures of some kind need to be available earlier imo. Even if it's something like building a cluster of O'Neill cylinders that you upgrade to full-on habitats later, or something that makes the hyperlanes connected to a system faster that you can upgrade (sidegrade?) to gateways.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
Enhanced AI has been updated for 2.1 and it's Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Megastructures of some kind need to be available earlier imo. Even if it's something like building a cluster of O'Neill cylinders that you upgrade to full-on habitats later, or something that makes the hyperlanes connected to a system faster that you can upgrade (sidegrade?) to gateways.

This is actually a neato idea. Like if building the different stages of the structures were tech and/or perk locked, so you can build a (pricey) local sentry array by mid-game, but upgrading it to the galaxy-spanning version only happens by the late game. Likewise for Dyson Spheres and the research one, though I don't know how this would work with ringworlds, maybe more tiles being made available as you upgrade it.

Point being that they become long-term empire spanning projects rather than the 'one and done (but with multiple clicks)' that they kind of are now.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 31, 2018