Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/1002094207086014465

I want to pet it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So I'm guessing that a Pinsir evolution eventually became Heracross as development went on.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Same here. I remember the first week or so when my friends were all about going downtown or to the park to walk around and catch Pokemon and it was super fun for those few days, but it quickly turned into, 'Is this it?'

I know Gotta Catch'em All is the tagline but I've always been much more into battles (not competitive, just in-game), exploration, and the stories than trading or completing the Pokedex so the game didn't so much deflate as collapse at that point. Trading or battles might have saved it, but the former not by much and the latter not at all given how poo poo their system is. The fact that it's been years and they still haven't done either is kind of funny.

Just by having a world to walk around in, Let's Go is miles beyond Go. But for the sake of being able to carry around a Primeape in my pocket one day, I'll probably give Go another try. It already seems like a better experience than back then what with what seems like a quest system, daily rewards, and an improved UI over-all, but it still seems to lack a concrete hook beyond throw balls at monsters.

Have you guys not played since the raiding update kicked in?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Things to note:

-OG Elekid, Pichu
-Baby Meowth, Doduo
-Water/Fire type, a seal with a fiery bomb for/on its nose
-A hamtaro-looking electric tiger pokémon
-A dark-type cat pokémon with bells on
-OG Porygon2 is a balloon animal
-Girafarig was originally dark/normal, with the rear head being an evil mirror, and it would evolve from an evil two-headed worm thing
-Steel shark family
-Ditto evolution
-Baby Grimer

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Water seal is probably what becam poplio.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
gonna stream it a little https://www.twitch.tv/sebmal

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I need that sassy Farfetched evo

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That hands down politoed is so much cuter than what we got wtf

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A lot of cool poo poo in here but man I'm glad they went back to the drawing board on some of the designs. Early Sneasel is rough.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

A lot of cool poo poo in here but man I'm glad they went back to the drawing board on some of the designs. Early Sneasel is rough.

Yeah but check out early Remoraid/Octillery

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hahah, the debug menu in that demo gives you access to a Picross puzzle :allears:

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Baby tangela is so cute. Why did we get tangrowth instead. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ometeotl posted:

I opened it in Chrome instead of Firefox

I really want that shark!

I'm opening it in Chrome and the vast majority of the sprites aren't loading for me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

I'm opening it in Chrome and the vast majority of the sprites aren't loading for me.

They're all here, although unmatched with their Pokemon names:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh my god the hoppip cats are a thousand times better than what we have

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bring back fat pichu

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I really wish they had kept Girafarig's original design, typing, and pre-evolution.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

There are going to be so many romhacks using these guys now

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Oh my god the cat with bells

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm sad that baby Doduo and Grimer never happened. The Dark-type cats with bells looks really cute too. Shame.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the slowbro shellder standalone, the weepinbell alt evo...... the chibi lightning tiger, the voodoo doll !! it's all so good !!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Interesting to see the prototype of Smoochum is a miniature Jynx, they obviously saw a need to redesign it for the final product in light of the criticism they got for Jynx internationally.

also interesting that prototype Remoraid/Octillery resemble a gun/tank much more closely than they do in the final version.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It's also interesting to see the ones that didn't really change next to others in their Evo tree that changed radically. Like Chikorita and Meganium were pretty set but that is a wild middle evo. Or Donphan being what we got but Phanphy being a really weird little elephant.

It's kind of amazing they at least minorly overhauled almost the whole sex after this demo. The only mons that made it basically without any changes to actual Gold/Silver are Chikorita, Meganium, Donphan, Slowing, Bellossom, Houndor, Houndoom, Sunflora, Quilfish, Hoothoot, Mareep, Flaffy, Ampharos, Crobat, Natu, Xatu and Steelix.

Zore fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 31, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hammerite posted:

Interesting to see the prototype of Smoochum is a miniature Jynx, they obviously saw a need to redesign it for the final product in light of the criticism they got for Jynx internationally.

This is the same reason Bellossom has green skin instead of dark blue skin like Oddish.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zore posted:

It's also interesting to see the ones that didn't really change next to others in their Evo tree that changed radically. Like Chikorita and Meganium were pretty set but that is a wild middle evo. Or Donphan being what we got but Phanphy being a really weird little elephant.

It's kind of amazing they at least minorly overhauled almost the whole sex after this demo. The only mons that made it basically without any changes to actual Gold/Silver are Chikorita, Meganium, Donphan, Slowing, Bellossom, Houndor, Houndoom, Sunflora, Quilfish, Hoothoot, Mareep, Flaffy, Ampharos, Crobat, Natu, Xatu and Steelix.

Donphan, Marril, Togepi, Snubbull, Slowking, and Ho-oh have fairly finalized designs because they were the 2nd gen pokemon that got early cameos in the anime.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I remember seeing the first movie as a kid and going WHOA DONPHAN WHAT IS THAT IT'S SO COOOOL

And then the games came out and A. It wasn't able to be caught until super late and B. It was okaaay but not amazing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The not-Totodile line is hot garbo and the world was made a better place since it never happened.

I mean imagine how apocaliptic the alternate universe where this little guy never happened must be like

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that Quagsire has always had That Face

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i have met a lot of really cool people playing pokemon go fwiw and re: the earlier conversation, between raids, gyms, and the quests they just added recently there's a lot to keep people engaged with that. let's go is just icing on the cake.

it's been nice basically going to any big city and finding a discord full of people to play with & my gf and i almost end up hanging out with some of those people or finding cool things to do in that city we didn't know about. pokemon's about adventure and if you let it pogo is p good about that

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i will say though i want them to implement trading bc i'm an airline employee and i can get regionals really easily and i want to sell them :getin:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wanted to check out Go finally after the announcement but my phone is too old for iOS11 :negative:

Granted it's probably not wise to use the same model of phone since 2012 but I'm not made of money dammit

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Raids were only fun for like the first few weeks when people actually did them. Quests and events are great though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Raids were only fun for like the first few weeks when people actually did them. Quests and events are great though.

tons of people still do raids lol

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pokemon 2 was going to be all the regions on one cartridge. Not my image

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i have met a lot of really cool people playing pokemon go fwiw and re: the earlier conversation, between raids, gyms, and the quests they just added recently there's a lot to keep people engaged with that. let's go is just icing on the cake.

it's been nice basically going to any big city and finding a discord full of people to play with & my gf and i almost end up hanging out with some of those people or finding cool things to do in that city we didn't know about. pokemon's about adventure and if you let it pogo is p good about that

This is super cool! I can definitely see how Go could be good for stuff like this, there's enough to enjoy for some in just walking around the landmarks and catching mons, and the expanded roster definitely helps that. The quests definitely help with longevity and staying busy too.

Parrotine posted:

Have you guys not played since the raiding update kicked in?

Avalerion posted:

Yeah, I started and stopped within the first week or two of its release and raids would have done nothing to draw me in. Even if my schedule and transportation would have allowed participation in something like that, it would still ultimately be just another mon to catch and more struggling with Go's lovely combat system so it doesn't do anything to solve my biggest problems with the game. Quests/events at least give me some boxes to check.

Still though, I wish Niantic had gone all-out with Game Freak from the start and had the traditional battle system and trading implemented from the start. I would've been fine keeping CP as a mobile game thing and using candy and such for leveling/evolution, but being able to walk around, catch some mons, and trade/battle other trainers right then and there? Now that would have been a real hook.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I finally remembered what Pokemon Quest reminds me of: it’s basically a reskinned and simplified Summoners War, a “neat” iOS freemium game that is apparently still around.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dehry posted:

Pokemon 2 was going to be all the regions on one cartridge. Not my image

Ahahahaha yeah fuckin right Game Freak. "Oh no we barely got all of Kanto in one cartridge, we'll be sure to get all of Japan in there"

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

it cracks me up here in phoenix at least but when it gets too hot in the afternoon for everyone to hang out at the outdoor raid spots you'll see caravans of like 10-20 cars rolling around and hitting up raids

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Ahahahaha yeah fuckin right Game Freak. "Oh no we barely got all of Kanto in one cartridge, we'll be sure to get all of Japan in there"

Well aside from Pallet Town , all that's there is a gym run by Red and a couple buildings representing cities from the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dehry posted:

Well aside from Pallet Town , all that's there is a gym run by Red and a couple buildings representing cities from the first game.

That's still a lot to ask for how many regions are on that map along with a full Johto.