Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd build kits of those fellas, that's a rad design

Its a shame Warmachine and 40k have games attached. Sometimes I just want to paint / gently caress up the models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Serenade posted:

Its a shame Warmachine and 40k have games attached. Sometimes I just want to paint / gently caress up the models.

I admit it took me a moment to remember that Warhams do come with games attached - I think in my head I was just imagining 'hams with shelves full of nicely painted kits, on display like I display my gunpla kits.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Also, while I'm not done yet I am extremely happy with how this zaku (my first!) is coming out so far!

- The eye turns if you turn the head that is SO COOL
- Everything goes together super smoothly, even the tubes, which is bizarre and cool.
- I love this MG, and this zaku is a rad design.
- I know I need better nippers and to work on nubs, but eh. So far things look cool.
- The gunpla marker has really helped bring out the zing in this design, I'm very happy with it!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also, while I'm not done yet I am extremely happy with how this zaku (my first!) is coming out so far!

- The eye turns if you turn the head that is SO COOL
- Everything goes together super smoothly, even the tubes, which is bizarre and cool.
- I love this MG, and this zaku is a rad design.
- I know I need better nippers and to work on nubs, but eh. So far things look cool.
- The gunpla marker has really helped bring out the zing in this design, I'm very happy with it!

I've found that getting a little messy around sprue marks and nubs with the marker makes them blend in and gives a somewhat weathered/damaged sort of look... to the extent that a pen can. It looks better than bare plastic, anyway. I might post a picture of what I mean later when I'm home.

Obviously, I'm a caveman with fingerpaints compared to most of you guys.

Luminaflare posted:

There's another plastic robot thread? Transformers?

No, that's where I came from.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serenade posted:

I just recently started a 40k army with the knowledge that there's a good chance I'll never actually play the game

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just recently started a 40k army with the knowledge that there's a good chance I'll never actually play the game

It's liberating in a way. I can paint gun mages and gun ghosts in ghost pirate theme even though they can never be run together.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You can run eldar and dad elder in the same army this edition

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got the Know No Fear starter set and I'm going to force myself to finish all of the dudes in there so I actually have a workable army before I get any more. Which is hard because these dudes are so cool. I want like 12 of them

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

StrixNebulosa posted:

I admit it took me a moment to remember that Warhams do come with games attached - I think in my head I was just imagining 'hams with shelves full of nicely painted kits, on display like I display my gunpla kits.

After getting rid of my warhams due to some money issues, god can I not remember why I liked them so much. The models are kind of poo poo, and way too expensive. The game was objectively poo poo.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

New on P-Bandai today, HG Graze Ritter (McGillis squad) and HG Graze Ritter (Carta squad). Every season 2 IBO set is also back up.

I'm quite tempted to get the full Tekkadan set.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Finished an RG Unicorn and it's probably the first kit I've seen through from start to finish in a long long time. It was a very satisfying build and it looks great. The transformation is a little fiddly in a couple places but once it's in a fixed pose it holds together fine. Also got the Bande Desinee version and the big chunky shield was a nice touch and looks great. Also love that it can carry all its accessories regardless of what loadout you go with. I have it in Destroy Mode with the beam rifle in its hand, bazooka hooked to the backpack and the bazooka ammo clipped to the back waist skirt. Gunpla is freedom and I'm back in big time. Newly motivated to wrap up some half-finished kits in my backlog. And I ordered Beargguy [P]retty and Papagguy because they're perfect.

I'm building the RG Unicorn BD right now and it's quite the build. I can't even begin to imagine how they went about designing this thing. It's more solid than I was expecting, especially as the last transforming RG was Zeta, though I'd still quite like to see some metal parts on RGs in the future.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anora posted:

After getting rid of my warhams due to some money issues, god can I not remember why I liked them so much. The models are kind of poo poo, and way too expensive. The game was objectively poo poo.

Yeah, seriously. Battletech is way fuckin' cheaper and really easy to get into, you only end up fielding one or two minis a game and I'm someone who only plays one game a month with my regular group in NYC. Plus you don't have to paint an entire army one color scheme, you can paint them whatever you want one by one at your own pace. Also, Battletech is a really fun excuse to get together for an afternoon and drink beer and roll dice, the outcome is more telling a fun story of dice rolls gone bad than "winning" or "losing" per se. I'd reccomend it so much more over the fuckin' cash sink of Warhammer.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Anora posted:

The MG one is legit

High Grade

Master Grade

Perfect Grade

P-Bandai

Soul of Chogokin (Weapons Sold Separately)

Very old No Grade

Scale comparison

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now do the Tau. Eldar are the Evas, Tau are the morbl soots from gundanium allow made in outer space.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Yeah, I used to play Eldar, back when the Wraith Lords only came in that no grade pic. I also did Tau and Chaos.

Related: 3rd ed Eldar Guardians were the worst, just the worst unit. "Oh you have assault 2 guns, and fleet of foot. That's soooo good." Except they're poo poo guns, fleet of foot keeps me from using them, and the guns letting me shoot, then assault is worthless when I never want them in close combat ever.

Taintrunner posted:

the outcome is more telling a fun story of dice rolls gone bad than "winning" or "losing" per se.

gently caress yes, I had a game of this where I scored a super long distance mech kill with the first shot of the game, using a tank, because we were playing pre-case, and I planted the shot right in it's fully loaded LRM launcher. Then like a few rounds later I saved the same tank from being kicked by blowing off the leg of a mech that was about to kick it. That game is great fun, wish it was still around.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
lools like there's a battletech beginner box for preorder on amazon, shipping in october. $20$ for two models, a basic rulebook, paper map and so on. until then, is there an actove/available game that's less hellish on the wallet than warhammer, but still has models to paint?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It depends on what you're looking for. There's a metric ton of skirmish wargames out there, just go ask for recs in the TG chat thread or the indie wargaming thread.

Just off the top of my head, Infinity has some nice power armour and mech models, although their sculpts for female soldiers largely suck. Warmachine also has some decent stuff if you want more of a steam-powered look, but the warjacks are the big expensive setpiece models.

None of it is going to be remotely as cheap as Gunpla and most of it will be metal.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 31, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah, seriously. Battletech is way fuckin' cheaper and really easy to get into, you only end up fielding one or two minis a game and I'm someone who only plays one game a month with my regular group in NYC. Plus you don't have to paint an entire army one color scheme, you can paint them whatever you want one by one at your own pace. Also, Battletech is a really fun excuse to get together for an afternoon and drink beer and roll dice, the outcome is more telling a fun story of dice rolls gone bad than "winning" or "losing" per se. I'd reccomend it so much more over the fuckin' cash sink of Warhammer.

But Battletech robot designs are terrible. it's a lot cheaper, and it may even be a better game, but if you're mainly in it for cool robots, Battletech vs Warhammer isn't even a contest

Warhammer robot

Battletech robots

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Guy Goodbody posted:

But Battletech robot designs are terrible. it's a lot cheaper, and it may even be a better game, but if you're mainly in it for cool robots, Battletech vs Warhammer isn't even a contest

Warhammer robot

Battletech robots

Come on, at least use some Warhams back in its infancy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argas posted:

Come on, at least use some Warhams back in its infancy.

I'm not being unfair, the Imperial Knight is a modern Warhammer model, these are modern Battletech models

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not being unfair, the Imperial Knight is a modern Warhammer model, these are modern Battletech models

Battletech has some really good designs but holy poo poo are the official minis loving terrible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Battletech has some really good designs but holy poo poo are the official minis loving terrible.

Try googling the Atlas and looking at the distance between the art and the miniatures.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Serenade posted:

You don't have to play the games if you just want to nab minis and paint. Hells, I barely play the games any more and still paint stuff.

GW is freedom.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah, seriously. Battletech is way fuckin' cheaper and really easy to get into, you only end up fielding one or two minis a game and I'm someone who only plays one game a month with my regular group in NYC.

Brooklyn Strategist? I think we played together once, but I haven't been able to make it back lately (family visits). Yeah Battletech is a great time and I've been thinking about converting a 1/60 Scopedog into an Atlas using pla plate.

Also those Carta squad Ritters are a genius business move because of course you have to buy 6 of them

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sure, but also

Guy Goodbody posted:

Warhammer robot

140-160 dollars, depending

Guy Goodbody posted:

10 dollars

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Luminaflare posted:

I'm dying for the day Catalyst (or whoever makes tabletop BTech these days) licenses the rights to PGI's MWO designs, because those are so much better and I'd kill to get minis of those. :(

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The Battletech designs from MechWarrior Online and the new turn-based game are so loving good, but the tabletop models look dumb as hell - I played a shitload of MWO back in the day, and if they ever made a resin/plastic model of the Jenner design from that game I'd scoop it up in a hot minute.

I have a decent collection of Warhammer robots and mans, but you really have to buy into that space goth wizard aesthetic to like them. They're both cool, but I tend to use one as a hobby palate cleanser when I burn out on the other.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Has Bandai never made a tabletop Gundam game? Like you'd think they could just fudge one up outta nowhere and just say "use all those 1/144 kits you got laying around"

Guy Goodbody posted:

The box set miniatures are particularly bad, the older metal ones were decent.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Would need a pretty big table/too many grunt suits/buckets of dice for the main gundams.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh god, not those, Warhammer looked just as terrible in the 80s. Don't buy those, buy the ones on Iron Wind Metals, they're like 10-14 bucks a pop give or take a couple bucks. You have to assemble and paint them yourself obviously but here's what's available, a good chunk of these are identical to the MWO mechs.

Also the new box sets coming in late September are of the MWO designs, so have no fear, PGI is here

Marx Headroom posted:

Brooklyn Strategist? I think we played together once, but I haven't been able to make it back lately (family visits). Yeah Battletech is a great time and I've been thinking about converting a 1/60 Scopedog into an Atlas using pla plate.

Also those Carta squad Ritters are a genius business move because of course you have to buy 6 of them

Whoa, small world! I hope you're back sometime.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 31, 2018

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

sassassin posted:

Would need a pretty big table/too many grunt suits/buckets of dice for the main gundams.

A big table is normal for these kinds of games, Warhammer uses a 4' x 6' table, and has rules for larger scale games using larger tables. Too many grunts is not necessarily true, it could be a skirmish level game with small teams comprised of 1-2 Gundam or equivalent, and a few support suits and grunts per side. And you definitely don't need buckets of dice; Warmachine already does large mech combat using no more than 4 dice, and playing card based resolution also exists (and are superior to dice, anyways.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Oh god, not those, Warhammer looked just as terrible in the 80s. Don't buy those, buy the ones on Iron Wind Metals, they're like 10-14 bucks a pop give or take a couple bucks. You have to assemble and paint them yourself obviously but here's what's available, a good chunk of these are identical to the MWO mechs.

No....no.... no! I don't have unlimited money! I cannot get into painting models as well as assembling them! Even if they're cute mechs! :supaburn:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Marx Headroom posted:

Fun fact: The original Atlas line art was traced from the Scopedog line art.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anora posted:

Has Bandai never made a tabletop Gundam game? Like you'd think they could just fudge one up outta nowhere and just say "use all those 1/144 kits you got laying around"

Games Workshop is about to come out with a tabletop game specifically for 5 inch or so tall robots. It would presumably be really easy to just play it with Gundams instead of Imperial Knights. Although the rules for big stompy Knights might not feel quite right for fast agile Gundams

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Luminaflare posted:

Fun fact: The original Atlas line art was traced from the Scopedog line art.

Didn't they Edo some Macross designs that were pretty awful yet unmistakably Macross.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Also the new box sets coming in late September are of the MWO designs, so have no fear, PGI is here

Oh, thank god.

Post a link if you have one, please. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 31, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sazabi posted:

Didn't they Edo some Macross designs that were pretty awful yet unmistakably Macross.

Those were licensed from a Japanese studio. It's a stupid mess. IIRC recently it was ruled that both the company that licensed Macross to Harmony Gold and the company that licensed the Macross designs for BTech did not have the rights to them.

The scopedog-Atlas is one of those cases where it's not licensed but it's also not a 1:1 trace/redraw. Though it's still really similar.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon-Lime posted:

Oh, thank god.

Post a link if you have one, please. :v:

https://bg.battletech.com/books/upcoming-releases/

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I thought they couldn't use the Dougram designs any more? Because those are Dougram robots

edit: the roundfacer and bigfoot, specifically

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 31, 2018

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sazabi posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks!