Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Assuming we're actually going after Sae and this isn't a setup like the Principal.

Edit: Update on the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

RickVoid posted:

In retrospect, having watched the opening sequence multiple times (cause it's sooooo good) I really should have noticed we got arrested in our Phantom Theives gear.

That's right! They've yet to show any of the phantom costumes materialize outside of the meta-verse yet they have showed people materializing without costumes in the meta-verse in several scenes (Bus scene in Futaba's scenario, Makoto in the bank palace).

You couldn't make this connection without playing through most of the game though.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I do find it very interesting that more peoples' reactions aren't "lol good riddance to bad rubbish", but maybe I'm just desensitized by this forum and emotes like :murder: and :killing:.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rogue 7 posted:

I do find it very interesting that more peoples' reactions aren't "lol good riddance to bad rubbish", but maybe I'm just desensitized by this forum and emotes like :murder: and :killing:.

A horrific murder on live tv can do a lot to kill hype that has been pushed to the breaking point.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
I have a theory as to why Yusuke didn't have much of a reaction to much of the news while the others didn't. He had already figured out that the public would start to turn on the Phantom Thieves. Word of them had no doubt spread to Kousei, and the students there probably already said something similar to that. Kinda odd he wasn't shocked by Principal Kingpin's Calling card, though he probably doesn't care about him.

Also...

Arist posted:

The public has praised them as “allies of justice,” before they strike them back to the ground… Now then, she’ll be next…

"She'll be next"? Who is she-

Oh...oh no!:ohdear:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KDavisJr posted:

I have a theory as to why Yusuke didn't have much of a reaction to much of the news while the others didn't. He had already figured out that the public would start to turn on the Phantom Thieves. Word of them had no doubt spread to Kousei, and the students there probably already said something similar to that. Kinda odd he wasn't shocked by Principal Kingpin's Calling card, though he probably doesn't care about him.

Yusuke even says it is as I suspected when Ann comments about the Negative press. Also yeah did Yusuke even know about that Principle.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The SIU Director's interjections are just so completely, utterly unnecessary and hamfisted

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

KDavisJr posted:

"She'll be next"? Who is she-

Oh...oh no!:ohdear:

How does Maaku know about these parts he wasn't there for?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

GeneX posted:

The SIU Director's interjections are just so completely, utterly unnecessary and hamfisted

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How does Maaku know about these parts he wasn't there for?

I’m pretty sure those things are there to provide a buildup for our mystery villain that exists behind the scenes to ensure that they don’t come out of nowhere when they’re actually revealed.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I’m pretty sure those things are there to provide a buildup for our mystery villain that exists behind the scenes to ensure that they don’t come out of nowhere when they’re actually revealed.

Oh yeah, it's obviously there for that

it's just...they could have done it without the extremely (again) hamfisted "ah yes, everything is according to plan, they are being manipulated perfectly"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

it's just...they could have done it without the extremely (again) hamfisted "ah yes, everything is according to plan, they are being manipulated perfectly"

I much rather they go with hamfisted exposition over what was done in P3 where for large portions of the game you have barely a vague idea of what you are supposed to be doing.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Up til now I was occasionally wondering why we were doing seemingly real world thief stuff at the beginning that caused us to get caught and arrested (and what might happen story-wise to let demons into the real world, since some of the guys chasing Maaku transdormed). The fact that they did actually have to be physically fit to move around helped with the thought of all his acrobatics. Now, though, I'm wondering if this whole time we've been talking to Sae's mental self.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

GeneX posted:

While he is pretty over the top, I just get the feeling from him that he’s trying to flatter whoever is higher up on the food chain than him. You know, the whole thing the advisor type character does to the king.

I mean, going according to plan aside, he’s praising the other person a lot. Which is why it’s coming across so, ‘You’re so great, this plan is great and everything is working perfectly’.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Oh wow, I forgot that their dad was actually still alive. That's a little weird, since we get to see the other party members' dads at some point, even in flashbacks. I think kid me thought the slezeball was telling Katsuya to go sleep with the fishes like his dad or something. :v:
Great Father was fought in Innocent Sin, in that game only Maya and Jin's fathers were confirmed dead, Eikichi, Lisa and Tatsuya's dads were still alive.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Arist posted:

Yusuke with no reaction.

Isn't that just because of Yusuke's height and where he's standing that we can't see the reactions on top of his head? Like if you look at the distance between the others' heads and the !, that would mean Yusuke's would be off-camera.

GeneX posted:

For all of Persona 4's faults, it at least blindsided the mystery kids with Morooka's murder. It was really aggravating that the game beat you upside that head that you're playing right into the enemy's hands here and still forced you down that path.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yusuke is busy thinking about whether or not he fed his lobsters today.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Do you really think we’re playing in the villains’ hands? I mean, all of our targets at this point we unanimously chose to target for various reasons.

Kamoshida, Madarame, Kaneshiro, Futaba and now Okumura - we had actual reasons to target them.

Yes, the villains used this to their advantage, but actually it’s not like we would’ve ignored Okumura. What about Haru?? And his employees?

He may not be completely rotten like Kamoshida but he definitely needed the change of heart (or at least, he needed to be kicked in the head for treating his daughter and actual humans like tools).

All I’m saying is, someone is definitely trying to frame us, yes, but that doesn’t mean the targets we picked didn’t have legit reasons behind them. We didn’t target Okumura because of the poll. We targeted him because we thought he had information on the mental shut downs, because of Haru, because his business practices were downright terrible.

The fact he was on top of the poll was simply another reason, if it was ever being considered. Oh and Akechi was on the poll too at one point, I think.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 31, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The (obviously manipulated) poll is partly there to indicate that the Phantom Thieves aren't immune to social pressure IMO. Haru's dad did need a change of heart but even the game goes out of its way to point out that abusive bosses are a dime a dozen and that he was only special because of his scale. (I'm primarily thinking of the NPCs that talk about wanting help from the PT for their rear end in a top hat bosses too.) They could have gone after any CEO and still made their point but instead they do dedicate a chunk of time to worrying about the poll results.

The game does not communicate it well but I think the idea is that they're being railroaded without realizing it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Keep in mind the fake calling card. Had we ignored Okumura the conference would have happened the same way anyways.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

HIJK posted:

The (obviously manipulated) poll is partly there to indicate that the Phantom Thieves aren't immune to social pressure IMO. Haru's dad did need a change of heart but even the game goes out of its way to point out that abusive bosses are a dime a dozen and that he was only special because of his scale. (I'm primarily thinking of the NPCs that talk about wanting help from the PT for their rear end in a top hat bosses too.) They could have gone after any CEO and still made their point but instead they do dedicate a chunk of time to worrying about the poll results.

The game does not communicate it well but I think the idea is that they're being railroaded without realizing it.

This is what made me think the Phantom Thieves played right into the mastermind's hands in this case. They're probably a high-ranking government official so I'm guessing they have the money and the clout to manipulate information being released on the media. It's probably the main reason the Phantom Thieves popularity suddenly skyrocketed, or how the public became aware of Okumura and wanted to see him punished.

Even the gang went "Wow, it sure is weird how we're so popular now/ how Okumura is suddenly in the spotlight" right before Mona's bullshit interrupted them from thinking that something might be up with that.

EDIT:

Omobono posted:

Keep in mind the fake calling card. Had we ignored Okumura the conference would have happened the same way anyways.

Huh, that's a good point. We could have just cut down this entire arc and we really wouldn't lose anything that important.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 31, 2018

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

They probably are being railroaded - or at least framed, but at the same time the group thought Okumura was connected to the mental shutdown cases, so that’s one reason he was the target instead of some random abusive boss.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Do you really think we’re playing in the villains’ hands? I mean, all of our targets at this point we unanimously chose to target for various reasons.

Kamoshida, Madarame, Kaneshiro, Futaba and now Okumura - we had actual reasons to target them.

Yes, the villains used this to their advantage, but actually it’s not like we would’ve ignored Okumura. What about Haru?? And his employees?

He may not be completely rotten like Kamoshida but he definitely needed the change of heart (or at least, he needed to be kicked in the head for treating his daughter and actual humans like tools).

All I’m saying is, someone is definitely trying to frame us, yes, but that doesn’t mean the targets we picked didn’t have legit reasons behind them. We didn’t target Okumura because of the poll. We targeted him because we thought he had information on the mental shut downs, because of Haru, because his business practices were downright terrible.

The fact he was on top of the poll was simply another reason, if it was ever being considered. Oh and Akechi was on the poll too at one point, I think.

its clear from the SIU director's scenes that they've been planning something ever since Kamoshida was taken down
Futaba wasnt part of that plan, but that whole deal with Medjed was.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Zagglezig posted:

Up til now I was occasionally wondering why we were doing seemingly real world thief stuff at the beginning that caused us to get caught and arrested (and what might happen story-wise to let demons into the real world, since some of the guys chasing Maaku transdormed). The fact that they did actually have to be physically fit to move around helped with the thought of all his acrobatics. Now, though, I'm wondering if this whole time we've been talking to Sae's mental self.

This is what I've been thinking but some details don't add up for that. For one thing, Maaku is out of his Thieves outfit for some reason now. For another, shouldn't Sae's shadow have yellow eyes?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Omobono posted:

That would have been a way better arc. Recruit Haru, work on some other target while telling her we'll take care of her dad later, and then bam, her dad is ostensibly murdered by the Phantom Thieves.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

amigolupus posted:

Isn't that just because of Yusuke's height and where he's standing that we can't see the reactions on top of his head? Like if you look at the distance between the others' heads and the !, that would mean Yusuke's would be off-camera.

Nah, at least the bottom should be visible.

I feel like people are maybe taking some of these goofs a little too seriously, I don't think most of the stuff I point out unless I make a big show of it is a legitimate flaw with the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

actually this proves Yusuke's entire character is a mean-spirited send-up of Dontnod Entertainment

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Coq au Nandos posted:

That would have been a way better arc. Recruit Haru, work on some other target while telling her we'll take care of her dad later, and then bam, her dad is ostensibly murdered by the Phantom Thieves.

Nah. I think the fact that Haru could theoretically believe that we lied to her is a much more interesting plot thread.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coq au Nandos posted:

Remember that whole send her off to be a sexual plaything plot? Haru's dad needed to be stopped at the very least to keep Haru safe.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hunt11 posted:

Remember that whole send her off to be a sexual plaything plot? Haru's dad needed to be stopped at the very least to keep Haru safe.

Did we *really* need that threat?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Robindaybird posted:

Did we *really* need that threat?

It's to drive home that Haru's dad is a filthy scumbag and it's also not unusual for women to be treated like objects when their fathers are seeking to consolidate political power. Haru's situation is a horrifying issue that persists to this day, I'm glad the game didn't shy away from it the same way it didn't shy away from Kamoshida.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

After a point, it gets gratuitous

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

After a point, it gets gratuitous

I agree. It just feels like the writers' go-to method, and it's just a bit much.

Joker's initial arrest, Kamoshida, Kaneshiro, Okumura, Haru's fiance himself, even minor ones like the rear end in a top hat in Mishima's Confidant and brought up in Makoto's, it seems to always default to threats of sexual violence against women.

I guess it's a matter of opinion though.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Those threats exist everywhere in our world.

I think the main reason I feel like we were mostly doing our own thing is mainly because most of our deadlines didn’t have anything to do with the villains, including Okumura’s deadline, which is tied to Haru.

Also, discussing your evil plan over the phone is the dumbest thing ever.

This doesn’t mean the villains were ineffective in their plan to frame us and stuff.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Seaogre posted:

I agree. It just feels like the writers' go-to method, and it's just a bit much.

Joker's initial arrest, Kamoshida, Kaneshiro, Okumura, Haru's fiance himself, even minor ones like the rear end in a top hat in Mishima's Confidant and brought up in Makoto's, it seems to always default to threats of sexual violence against women.

I guess it's a matter of opinion though.

I offhand don't remember if there are any normal spend-time-with-them-type social links with female characters that don't involve threats of sexual violence, whether to the link themselves or someone else.

It's... maybe Chihaya and Hifumi don't, and that's it?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ohya, although 'dating a minor to not get caught looking up stuff about your missing partner' isn't a gold standard either.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ohya, although 'dating a minor to not get caught looking up stuff about your missing partner' isn't a gold standard either.

Pretty sure Ohya's link involves violence to her former partner who is also sexually shamed. It's adjacent anyway.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Like hell it is a thing, but when almost every female character is subjected to sexual violence or threats of it, it really starts to look less like tackling an issue and more either they're unimaginative or worse.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Kawakami was being asked to pay an insane amount of money. Oh, this reminds me, now that those losers have agreed to pay her back, she’ll probably be a rich woman. If they can get that much money that is.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Kawakami was being asked to pay an insane amount of money. Oh, this reminds me, now that those losers have agreed to pay her back, she’ll probably be a rich woman. If they can get that much money that is.

And was very nearly forced into sex work to get that kind of money, if you'll recall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

AweStriker posted:

And was very nearly forced into sex work to get that kind of money, if you'll recall...

Yeah, she made hints she was considering actual prostitution if the blackmail had kept going and the only reason she hadn't before is because the agency consider her 'too old'