Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Buy an M3

I'd consider getting rid of the 318i as is, you might be able to get $1500 as it stands now. The e30 market is still bonkers. For a winter driver you could consider picking up an e36 for cheap and throwing some Blizzaks on there. Otherwise I really enjoyed my old beater Impreza for winter driving, it handled snow/ice like a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Sell them all and buy an E90 M3, sounds like a plan!

I figure I get $1500 now by selling it as is, or $1500 later when I sell it for $3000 and drove it for another winter. At least it'd give me some time for more options.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Lightbulb Out posted:

Sell them all and buy an E90 M3, sounds like a plan!

I figure I get $1500 now by selling it as is, or $1500 later when I sell it for $3000 and drove it for another winter. At least it'd give me some time for more options.

E90 M3 is the best answer. If you want a responsible answer I would say to keep the better of your 325is models because they are sexy as hell. Sell the 318 as is for whatever you can get for it. Cash out on the middle child 325is as they are enjoying :lol: amounts of money payouts and buy a respectable M sport 128i with a 6MT. They can be found for less than $10K and you could probably buy one outright with cash. The newer creature comforts would be nice to experience.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
drat, I have not kept up with BAT on E30 prices. I have two pretty pristine 325is', one an 87 with 100k and the other a 90 with 200k. The 90 is set up far more aggressively, whereas the 87 is old man car status.

That would certainly solve my problems, most likely - but I don't want to sell them! They're so nice and fun! But I need a better daily! Argh!!

I'm sentimentally attached to my first one, and the 87 was a gift from my dad - so also some sentimentality there.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

That would certainly solve my problems, most likely - but I don't want to sell them! They're so nice and fun! But I need a better daily! Argh!!

I'm sentimentally attached to my first one, and the 87 was a gift from my dad - so also some sentimentality there.

Don't sell all. Just keep the best one and sell the other two. You have to remove some of the emotions from it or you will bury yourself in a rust cloud of old metal and flaking superior german adhesives littered with german plastic. Now is the time to cash in some chips.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
E90 M3s sound pretty drat expensive as a DD if you are doing a bunch of miles (>15k) a year.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

E90 M3s sound pretty drat expensive as a DD if you are doing a bunch of miles (>15k) a year.

My new job is about 3700mi/yr. I don't think it would be too bad - but I would be driving it in the winter. I don't think I can really afford it unless I get a big raise and sell all 3 of them.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Don't sell all. Just keep the best one and sell the other two. You have to remove some of the emotions from it or you will bury yourself in a rust cloud of old metal and flaking superior german adhesives littered with german plastic. Now is the time to cash in some chips.

The problem is the "best" one are both 325s, for different reasons. One has paint issues on one fender, and 100k, set up softly. The other has 200k, and is real stiff - and it's the one I have to keep as it got me in the game.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, in that case, buy an older Subaru Impreza Wagon or something for cheap unless you have the new car bug. gently caress a car payment, especially at that kind of mileage per year.

Problem with the M3 is you're look at like $30k plus terrible premium gas mileage and expensive consumables.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Or I just dump $1500 in the 318, drive it until next year and sell it and buy something a little more at my leisure. Or even this year if I can find something - I feel like I'd be hard pressed to find another decent ride that I already have winters and other consumables already stocked for.

I also like the 128i option, but I think it will be tricky to find one with the sport package and manual in my price range in the immediate vicinity(250mi). Time to start looking at more stuff.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Oh poo poo guys my wife and I have been trying to plan a trip - time to find a new car and fly and drive combination trip.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

lol which shop is this? i dunno how long you can hold out but i could lend you a hand at my place sometime in the next few months but it can't be before july probably

Strictly BMW.

Maybe I'll take you up on that offer. The rears need attention more than the front, which is also easier to do. But some days I also think gently caress it I'll just buy a new WRX.

Wrar posted:

Haha that's a total ripoff. Provided you aren't driving a rust bomb the suspension is easy to wrench on.

Shouldn't be a rust bucket. 110k or so miles but it's the PNW so things don't really rust much, just a nice thick covering of road grime from all the wet days.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
swap some/all the cool poo poo from the 90 to the 87, sell the 90 and the 318i, paint the fender on the 87 and buy a DD

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

Strictly BMW.

Maybe I'll take you up on that offer. The rears need attention more than the front, which is also easier to do. But some days I also think gently caress it I'll just buy a new WRX.

i mean i wont fault you for selling your e46 but dont get a wrx

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

swap some/all the cool poo poo from the 90 to the 87, sell the 90 and the 318i, paint the fender on the 87 and buy a DD

gently caress marry kill

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Kill, gently caress, marry

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, gently caress, gently caress

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Best car of the Vintage hands down.

I brought my doggo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Shop quoted me over 1k to swap the brake pads and rotors on the m3 which sounds insane so I guess I'm doing it myself

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're going to be 15k into that thing by the end of the year

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013

Handcranked posted:

So the honeymoon period seems to be over with my newish M135i, was going home from a friend, got in the car, started the engine, and it throws a stability control fault, and a drivetrain fault, and puts the car into limp mode.
Pulled the codes when i got home, something in german about wheel monitoring, and two codes about valvetronic :shepspends:

Welp, the dealer just called, the valvetronic poo poo the bed.
The good news is that they are going to foot the bill for the valvetronic replacement (both the valvetronic motor, and the eccentric shaft)
The bad news is, they dont have the tools, so they are going to send the car to another Bmw dealer, and the loaner i got smells like wet dog combined with poop.

Edit: Oh, and they found a bad front left wheel bearing too, not bad on a car thats less than two years old, and just hit 25000km's

Handcranked fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 30, 2018

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

ATTN: A5HBAPE Blipshift has your shirt ready for you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlackMK4 posted:

You're going to be 15k into that thing by the end of the year

Haha, we'll see. Its gonna stay parked most of the time, but yeah its possible.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Zaphod42 posted:

Haha, we'll see. Its gonna stay parked most of the time, but yeah its possible.

15k for sure.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Update: The 318i lives. The upper oil pan gasket had failed around the oil pickup, causing it to suck in air. Replaced the gasket, car has good oil pressure again and sounds fine.

Crisis averted, crossroads in the rearview mirror!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

ATTN: A5HBAPE Blipshift has your shirt ready for you.

Lol dope

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

Update: The 318i lives. The upper oil pan gasket had failed around the oil pickup, causing it to suck in air. Replaced the gasket, car has good oil pressure again and sounds fine.

"i love 2 suck"

-m42

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

This is great news! You just doubled the value that you can get for it! That will really go nicely towards your 128i 135i M3

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

My sunroof motor cover disintigrated and fell out overnight. It's moments like this that make e36 ownership really special.

e: jesus christ $70 for a new one.

User Error fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 31, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
When I bought my e34 the PO had glued it because they broke the clips. Thankfully they hadn't go too much glue on it (would have brought the entire ceiling lining down if so because that's not ever something you want to anchor too!). Pretty sure bavauto was about $40, have you checked there?

E: You were going off the cheapest price at ECS. bavauto, fcp and pelican are even more.
Either prices have gone up across all seller and all old parts, or this is one thing that the e34 had cheaper. OTOH oil costs me $50 + filter for a service and fuel is $50 a week so...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 31, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

User Error posted:

My sunroof motor cover disintigrated and fell out overnight. It's moments like this that make e36 ownership really special.

e: jesus christ $70 for a new one.

My e36 C Pillar plastic cover won't stay on and so is hanging along with some of the roof fabric on both sides. It's really bugging me but I don't wanna spend the $135 for a piece of plastic.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Popete posted:

My e36 C Pillar plastic cover won't stay on and so is hanging along with some of the roof fabric on both sides. It's really bugging me but I don't wanna spend the $135 for a piece of plastic.

Automotive Insanity > This is a BMW Thread. It's really bugging me but I don't wanna spend the $135 for a piece of plastic.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's officially time to riot.

Trump to impose total ban on luxury German cars

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

What in the gently caress

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I guess we should close the thread.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You have to remove some of the emotions from it or you will bury yourself in a rust cloud of old metal and flaking superior german adhesives littered with german plastic.

This is fantastic. It caused 6 minutes of chin-stroking introspection over here. I'm lookin at you, '97 M3 that I've had for -19 years-. You and your rusty rear wheel arches.

yyeeeah. anybody want a 5sp '97 M3 2dr, Boston Green over black, sport/vaders? Except for those drat fenders, it's solid and littered with lovingly replaced rubber bits. (solution: throw on a widebody kit!!1) Thinking I'll focus liberated energy on the E46 wagon that isn't pictured.. sigh

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
19 years? holy poo poo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

19 years? holy poo poo

BlackMK4 didn't even realize you were allowed by law to keep a car that long.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
loving savage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Popete posted:

BlackMK4 didn't even realize you were allowed by law to keep a car that long.

:lol: