Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Reminder: if you need any sort of frequent interaction for your self-driving car to work, you can't use those things to go drive themselves and pick them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Reminder: if you need any sort of frequent interaction for your self-driving car to work, you can't use those things to go drive themselves and pick them up.

this whole thing about fleets of cars on demand also makes very little sense when you think through the implications for parking and congestion

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Autonomous Segways are the future.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

boner confessor posted:

really the question in my mind is which point comes first in time: a credible manufacturer releases an autonomous driving system that works more often than it fails, or a critical mass of the consuming public is turned off from the technology because of too many visible failures from noncredible manufacturers and system developers that poison the well

I, for one, would buy a self driving car that's 2-3x more likely to kill me be driving into a wall just for the convenience. Driving sucks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

agreed, but my solution (not a good solution for everyone) was to move intown to minimize my driving and shorten the distance i have to travel. imo this is a better solution than relying on new technology to minimize the inconvenience of consumption

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ruffian Price posted:

Can't even get mad at this. I mean, this is the thing that was meant to save online reporting from the ad crash, right? Having it forced by regulators just saves publishers a nasty transition period I really wanted them to endure, but so be it
Is this even legal under the GDPR? The user isn't being asked for permission separately from providing the service.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

suck my woke dick posted:

a) Drunk driver presses butan to putter to roadside and call for a tow/driver service. Insurance remains happy, no DUI has occured, sky does not fall.
b) Drunk driver presses other butan to drive manual. Cops pull obviously drunk driver over, drunk driver loses licence over DUI, nothing has changed from pre-self driving driving.

Except you're all of a sudden putting drivers (who might otherwise have taken a taxi, Uber, or had a friend pick them up) in a lovely situation where their car is on some random-rear end street because the self-driving mode failed. You're normalizing the use of self-driving cars as a DD, and expecting the drunk driver to make the rational, yet inconvenient and potentially expensive, decision in awful circumstances.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

suck my woke dick posted:

A sudden snowstorm appears.

a) Drunk driver presses butan to putter to roadside and call for a tow/driver service. Insurance remains happy, no DUI has occured, sky does not fall.
b) Drunk driver presses other butan to drive manual. Cops pull obviously drunk driver over, drunk driver loses licence over DUI, nothing has changed from pre-self driving driving.

C) Driver pushes butan to putter to roadside, can't afford to lose liscence or call a taxi, decides to risk sleeping until they're sober, freezes to death.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Is this even legal under the GDPR? The user isn't being asked for permission separately from providing the service.

A lot of sites just force you to either consent or stop using them. Doesn't seem like any of it would be legal.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

The option to use the service without tracking is right there, you just have to pay for it. This is what a lot of people were hoping for with GDPR.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

This is what a lot of people were hoping for with GDPR.

A lot of people were hoping for ads that didn't track the user.

Making you pay to not be tracked is awkward cause it makes it harder to know where to draw the line. What if that paid suscription cost €90 a month? Would that still be a reasonable alternative to sharing your data? What about €900?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Elman posted:

Making you pay to not be tracked is awkward cause it makes it harder to know where to draw the line. What if that paid suscription cost €90 a month? Would that still be a reasonable alternative to sharing your data? What about €900?

And now they can have them. Now they just have to pay their fair share.

We'll see how many people are willing to pay for privacy.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

That would be a fair concern if WaPo had a monopoly on news. The service isn't essential and you can just walk away if you don't like their set conditions - which they were now forced to reveal.

Hell, it's legal to sell loaves of bread for €900 as long as there are other options readily available.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The point is GDPR says consent should be uncoerced, freely given and particularized. That's why Facebook and Google are getting sued right now, they force you to either provide blanket consent or stop using their service.

We'll have to wait and see the court's ruling, but it's not as clear cut as you claim it is (even if I think this particular example is fine).

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Elman posted:

Yes, but both things can be true.

quote:

To me the bigger problem is that it moves us towards privacy being something the poor can't afford, but I don't have a better answer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trabisnikof posted:

lol those are going to be like those houses with old rear end broken intercoms that never worked except maybe to shriek loudly into all rooms if someone pressed a button.

I forget why I climbed down that rathole, but it turns out that a lot of houses with '90s-era "smart" features -- mostly room-to-room music and intercoms IIRC -- are completely screwed because you can't get replacement parts. Smart Shades are going to be totally functional when we all switch to 803.12++ or whatever, to say nothing of Amazon's going "Tech support? For a five-year-old system? Surely you jest."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yes, but both things can be true.

To me the bigger problem is that it moves us towards privacy being something the poor can't afford, but I don't have a better answer.

Privacy is not something they could afford at any time since internet service became available to the public. Nor can anyone else afford it.

[

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

fishmech posted:

Privacy is not something they could afford at any time since internet service became available to the public. Nor can anyone else afford it.

[

Right, but a bunch of people will stop caring about the issue when they can buy their own privacy even if others can't. Privacy should be improved for everyone, not just those that can afford it.

John Kasich
Feb 3, 2016

by Pragmatica

boner confessor posted:

agreed, but my solution (not a good solution for everyone) was to move intown to minimize my driving and shorten the distance i have to travel. imo this is a better solution than relying on new technology to minimize the inconvenience of consumption

The amount of money being wasted by companies like Lyft, Uber, Tesla, etc. instead of just investing in public transportation is loving stupid.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

ShadowHawk posted:

I think technically it doesn't comply, but frankly I think the problem here is the GDPR, not the website. It essentially implies that you must give away your content/service for free, which is not a realistic expectation for any business.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

NoDamage posted:

I think technically it doesn't comply, but frankly I think the problem here is the GDPR, not the website. It essentially implies that you must give away your content/service for free, which is not a realistic expectation for any business.

there exist ad models that don't require personal information. Or subscription models that cost the same in Europe and the rest of the world.

If your business requires targeted ads and monetizing private user data to remain financially solvent, then go bankrupt.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NoDamage posted:

It essentially implies that you must give away your content/service for free, which is not a realistic expectation for any business.

That's not true at all. The only way it could be close to like that is if the business model was to give it away for free to non-EU customers in exchange for their data.

If you charge non-EU customers for a service, you can keep charging your EU customers for that same service. It isn't requiring you to give anything away for free.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Istvun posted:

there exist ad models that don't require personal information. Or subscription models that cost the same in Europe and the rest of the world.

If your business requires targeted ads and monetizing private user data to remain financially solvent, then go bankrupt.

Sure, that ad model like that exists. It just doesn't pay enough to cover the costs of operating a site.

So people opting out of it have to pay the difference.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Xae posted:

Sure, that ad model like that exists. It just doesn't pay enough to cover the costs of operating a site.

So people opting out of it have to pay the difference.

Or everyone could pay for it or the site could just die. Those are perfectly acceptable options.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Istvun posted:

Or everyone could pay for it or the site could just die. Those are perfectly acceptable options.

Not everyone wants to opt out though.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Xae posted:

Not everyone wants to opt out though.

Ok. But the GDPR says that declining to opt in can't carry a burden on the user, which is necessary to give the law any meaning. And it's the law now so business models need to shift to follow it just like they do all sorts of other changes to laws.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Istvun posted:

Ok. But the GDPR says that declining to opt in can't carry a burden on the user, which is necessary to give the law any meaning. And it's the law now so business models need to shift to follow it just like they do all sorts of other changes to laws.

But if you aren't paying, you aren't a user.

There is no requirement that companies operate at a loss. They simply aren't offering a service to people in they pay up.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xae posted:

That's not how the definition of user works and you know it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

That's not how the definition of user works and you know it.

That is the definition of a user. Someone who is using your product. If you aren't able to use the product because of paywall in front of it you aren't a user.

Like what the hell did you think was going to happen with the GDPR? That companies would just operate at a loss or force everyone to pay up because the EU passed a law?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Xae posted:

If you're under a subscription model, that could be the case. But for the example of the washington post, if you're reading for free you're a user they're trying to convert to a paying user, and if you're paying you're definitely a user. That doesn't jibe with the need to pay $30 extra to get wapo to follow EU law.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Xae posted:

That is the definition of a user. Someone who is using your product. If you aren't able to use the product because of paywall in front of it you aren't a user.

Like what the hell did you think was going to happen with the GDPR? That companies would just operate at a loss or force everyone to pay up because the EU passed a law?

Yes regulations sometimes require businesses to change their operating models. It seems like you're trying to make a moral issue out of this when companies have no inherent rights to operate in different ways. Especially when it comes to tracking users and selling off their information.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Istvun posted:

Yes regulations sometimes require businesses to change their operating models. It seems like you're trying to make a moral issue out of this when companies have no inherent rights to operate in different ways. Especially when it comes to tracking users and selling off their information.
The only way this holds is by saying the EU has an right to force its ways on the rest of the world.

You're completely dodging the issue and using the dumbest possible argument to do it.

They did adjust their business model. EU now requires a subscription.

The problem is you thought heavy handed regulation was going to be free. It isn't. The rest of the world is not going to be forced to subsidize EU's choices.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

The only way this holds is by saying the EU has an inherent right to force its ways on the rest of the world.

Actually it does if you want to do business in the EU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Speaking of inventing buses to throw things under:

The activists, blocking buses at the intersection of 24th and Valencia streets, set off smoke bombs and carried signs that read “Techsploitation Is Toxic,” and “Sweep Tech Not Tents,” in reference to the city’s recent efforts to clear homeless encampments.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Xae posted:

The only way this holds is by saying the EU has an right to force its ways on the rest of the world.

Globalization is a sword that cuts both ways, neoliberal.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

they found a use for the scooters at least

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

They could have solved so much of the community relations issues if they’d have not started by breaking the law and illegally using public bus stops without paying for it and just made a public commuter bus that they subsidized and free for their employees. Just like employers have done before all over the country.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Xae posted:

You're completely dodging the issue and using the dumbest possible argument to do it.

They did adjust their business model. EU now requires a subscription.

The problem is you thought heavy handed regulation was going to be free. It isn't. The rest of the world is not going to be forced to subsidize EU's choices.

you seem awfully mad about objectively good regulation

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Istvun posted:

Those ad models don't make any money and are therefore a non-starter. Simply saying "go bankrupt" is a fine stance but doesn't mean anything, realistically businesses will respond by adding surcharges for EU users, or pulling out of the EU entirely.

Trabisnikof posted:

That's not true at all. The only way it could be close to like that is if the business model was to give it away for free to non-EU customers in exchange for their data.

If you charge non-EU customers for a service, you can keep charging your EU customers for that same service. It isn't requiring you to give anything away for free.
I thought the whole reason Facebook/Google were being sued was because they made you choose between consenting to targeted ads or not using their service at all. If that runs afoul of GDPR then what's the alternative?

Does giving the option to pay a subscription to avoid targeted ads meet the GDPR requirements? If consent must be freely given without penalty for refusal, wouldn't charging a fee in lieu of consent be considered a penalty?

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

NoDamage posted:

Those ad models don't make any money and are therefore a non-starter.
I think this is something others don't quite get.

There can be order of magnitude or two between the rate for targeted and untargeted ads.