Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Hellblasters and Watch Master are both being set aside for Teleportarium deployment, because the numbers work out to "two dead tanks" if you deep strike them and pop the +1 to wound strat on them the turn they arrive.

The Devil Dogs and their d3 shot multi-meltas are going to be the primary anti-tank on a turn-by-turn basis, and I expect the Leman Russes to do a lot of legwork, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Do Devil Dogs ignore moving and shooting Heavy weapons or do they have to shoot like Orks?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Do Devil Dogs ignore moving and shooting Heavy weapons or do they have to shoot like Orks?

They have Assault weapons. :ssh:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Shoot like orks unless you are tallarian. Them it's shoot like guard until you bump into all the -1 in the world. Then you just get to roll dice for fun

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Strobe posted:

They have Assault weapons. :ssh:

Should be fun then. I liked my Devil Dogs in 5th even though they were garbage, they can't be much worse now.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

BigRed0427 posted:

Im currently building a Wraitguard Craftworld squad and i had a question. Should I give them D-scythe's or Wraithcannons?

D-scythes took a huge hit with the FAQ change that you can’t Quicken a unit after deep striking, as there’s no way to deep strike them and get them into range. I prefer the wraithcannons, because they’re cheaper and you have the tactical flexibility to hold them in deep strike in some matchups.

Re: wraithblades, I’ve never used them but the sword ones are meant to be OK - even unbuffed they will blender a lot of things on the charge, and 35 points is priced to move.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

The Repulsor is actually cool and good. I just put one together this past weekend and i'm working on a second one for my Ultramarines.

Speaking of, I want to do red casings for my weapons instead of the black. Any recommendations for a red recipe for that? I was thinking Mephiston Red, Carroburg Crimson wash, Wazdakka Red edge highlight and Wild Rider for corners.

I'm using Scale75 Antares Red as my base and really like it, it's super vibrant. I think it may be comparable to Evil Sunz Scarlet. I did a very targeted wash with Vallejo Smoke and Black Ink in the recesses. I'm too lazy for double highlights on gun casings but used Vallejo Hot Orange on the major edges and if anything I'd hit the corners with a dot of reaper linen white or something like that.

Your recipe sounds good, if darker and less saturated. If you're doing this for Ultramarines, I might consider starting even less saturated at Khorne red depending on how vibrant your blue is. What I suggested above is probably way too saturated for ultramarines and would clash.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

I'm using Scale75 Antares Red as my base and really like it, it's super vibrant. I think it may be comparable to Evil Sunz Scarlet. I did a very targeted wash with Vallejo Smoke and Black Ink in the recesses. I'm too lazy for double highlights on gun casings but used Vallejo Hot Orange on the major edges and if anything I'd hit the corners with a dot of reaper linen white or something like that.

Your recipe sounds good, if darker and less saturated. If you're doing this for Ultramarines, I might consider starting even less saturated at Khorne red depending on how vibrant your blue is. What I suggested above is probably way too saturated for ultramarines and would clash.

Thanks for the tips! My ultramarines are just primed Macragge and i'm working up from there (nuln oil pin wash, calgar edge and fenrisian grey edge), so they're not super vibrant. I might just do Khorne red, Carrobug crimson then wazdakka to keep it muted. I don't want the guns overwhelming the armor.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

[...]cool and good. [...] my Ultramarines.

I just plugged the second mouse into my PC so that I can Hammer the report button with both hands.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Finally done with my Custodian Guard! Next on the painting table are my Contemptor Achillus and Telemon Heavy Dreadnought, they weren't ready for Walker Weekend unfortunately.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Finally done with my Custodian Guard! Next on the painting table are my Contemptor Achillus and Telemon Heavy Dreadnought, they weren't ready for Walker Weekend unfortunately.

That's a good paint job my friend 10/10. Love the blue flourish.

I just realized I never looked at Custodes models closely before. They ugly as gently caress.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Strobe posted:

The Devil Dogs and their d3 shot multi-meltas are going to be the primary anti-tank on a turn-by-turn basis, and I expect the Leman Russes to do a lot of legwork, too.

The only problem with Devil Dogs is that they're 5 points more expensive than Basilisks, and Basilisks are way better. However, if you're set on using them, then I think you'll have fun!

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I think D-Scythe wraithguard with Quicken are good. Just deploy them on the table, use the stratagem to auto advance them 6', and then use Quicken do it again. That moves them 22', plus the 8' threat range means you can hit anything within 30'. It's not even less efficient than deep striking because you get back that CP you were going to spend anyway.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Ugh, I really want Vindicators, Hunters, and Stalkers. Why am I so dumb?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Are hunters and stalkers any good? I remember them seeming super niche back in 7th, and have never actually seen one on a board.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Badablack posted:

Are hunters and stalkers any good? I remember them seeming super niche back in 7th, and have never actually seen one on a board.

Same, I've never seen one on the table. Since they were added while I was on a break from gaming I mostly forget they even exist.

My shop are selling the Renegade box for £96. I was umming and ahhing over it but at that price point it's basically a 2 for 1 on the Knights plus free terrain so gently caress it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I just realized I never looked at Custodes models closely before. They ugly as gently caress.

It's definitely a personal taste thing. Personally I really like them but my early models were badly painted because I wasn't used to dry brushing gold so they came out badly. Looked really dull.

Got it right after a while though by watching some tutorial videos on YouTube. Turns out listening to experts teaches you things, who would have thought :v:

(Never went back and fixed my Allarus though because then I realized I didn't like them for different reasons)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm not a fan either. The jetbikes are ok as they are more bike than man, but the infantry is terrible.

Corrode posted:

My shop are selling the Renegade box for £96. I was umming and ahhing over it but at that price point it's basically a 2 for 1 on the Knights plus free terrain so gently caress it.

That's a decent discount, my local shop is charging £114. I'll pass at that but might get talked into buying a box from Element. For the standard Knights is there a particular build that's best?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 31, 2018

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

Same, I've never seen one on the table. Since they were added while I was on a break from gaming I mostly forget they even exist.

Are they? poo poo I'm on it too.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

Are they? poo poo I'm on it too.

Yeah if you have a BIG card he's doing preorders at 20% off, it's mad. Last time he did this it was Forgebane and I think he shifted 40 of them.

Lungboy posted:

I'm not a fan either. The jetbikes are ok as they are more bike than man, but the infantry is terrible.

That's a decent discount, my local shop is charging £114. I'll pass at that but might get talked into buying a box from Element. For the standard Knights is there a particular build that's best?

Related, what's the actual difference between the two kits? Is the carapace any different or does it just not come with the carapace weapon sprue? You can build the autocannons and one of the missiles anyway and all mine are magnetised, so if I just have to stick a magnet on top I'll do that and have 3 Crusaders.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Corrode posted:

Yeah if you have a BIG card he's doing preorders at 20% off, it's mad. Last time he did this it was Forgebane and I think he shifted 40 of them.

Related, what's the actual difference between the two kits? Is the carapace any different or does it just not come with the carapace weapon sprue? You can build the autocannons and one of the missiles anyway and all mine are magnetised, so if I just have to stick a magnet on top I'll do that and have 3 Crusaders.

Yeah I picked up Forgebane cheap from Jim. Definitely in.

Not sure if this is banned chat but I know recasters sell the knight weapons separately, which seems like a good option to magnetise

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

If it's not meant to be a secret which shop is this?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Badablack posted:

They were created for 7th edition when flyers were basically impossible to kill without dedicated AA solutions (you could only hit them on 6s) and flyers were pretty-much must-includes in a bunch of armies. But even then dedicated AA on a vindicator body wasn't particularly good.

These days more units have Fly, but killing them isn't such a problem so the need for dedicated AA guns is even less.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Z the IVth posted:

If it's not meant to be a secret which shop is this?

Bristol Independent Gaming. Unfortunately he doesn't have much online presence (there was something in the works but I haven't asked about it in a while). If you're local to the area then I'd highly recommend it. If not I'm sure someone itt could buy and reship assuming you were UK based.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Really is sometimes staggering how well dettol works. Now I just need to do all the mould line removing I didn't do 12 years ago and green stuff some mountings to drill into for the spare heavy bolters from my existing predator.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Artum posted:

Really is staggering how well dettol works some times. Now I just need to do all the mould line removing I didn't do 12 years ago and green stuff some mountings to drill into for the spare heavy bolters from my existing predator.

Im the bottle of Chardonnay.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Corrode posted:

Bristol Independent Gaming. Unfortunately he doesn't have much online presence (there was something in the works but I haven't asked about it in a while). If you're local to the area then I'd highly recommend it. If not I'm sure someone itt could buy and reship assuming you were UK based.

My understanding is they aren't planning on any online sales. Too competitive a market in UK I think.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I can't find Deathwatch vanguard vets anywhere... Are they still a thing? They're not even listed as sold out on GW, but I've seen them on a shelf at my LGS within the last two weeks

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think GW's pricing requirements go in effect the second you put their products on an online store.

They have a contractual "no more than 15% off" requirement, and I think it is for online sales only.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 31, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

dexefiend posted:

I think GW's pricing requirements go in effect the second you put their products on an online store.

They have a contractual "no more than 15% off" requirement, and I think it is for online sales only.

I think this is a US thing, as there's definitely stores in the UK offering over 15% off.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I can't find Deathwatch vanguard vets anywhere... Are they still a thing? They're not even listed as sold out on GW, but I've seen them on a shelf at my LGS within the last two weeks

They might be Direct-only which means stores won't stock them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
No it's the reverse in this situation, GW website doesn't list them

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheBigAristotle posted:

Oh I just read that as "Deathwatch Kill Team" like an idiot. I think someone brought up before that those boxes were just the regular Vanguard Vets box + a Deathwatch upgrade sprue, so that's how you have to buy them now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think everything except for the specific kill teams are just *whatever box* plus the upgrade sprue.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I've got a resin jump pack chaplain on the way because I'd like to give my flyboys some inspiring words (and rerolls to hit). I want to give him a powerfist, how well does plastic and resin play together?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I've got a resin jump pack chaplain on the way because I'd like to give my flyboys some inspiring words (and rerolls to hit). I want to give him a powerfist, how well does plastic and resin play together?

It's fine. You'll obviously have to use super glue and not plastic glue, but that's pretty much it. There are tons of resin upgrade kits for plastic models.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Corrode posted:

I think this is a US thing, as there's definitely stores in the UK offering over 15% off.

Canada has the online discount cap at 15% MSRP. Maybe it's everywhere but the UK?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Maneck posted:

Canada has the online discount cap at 15% MSRP. Maybe it's everywhere but the UK?

My guess would be that's an EU competition thing so it'll be Europe-wide, but obviously that doesn't affect countries outside the EU where suppliers can gently caress their sales chain to their heart's content.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

They came out with a number of limited time discount boxes when the 7th edition book came out, where the sprue was nearly free. The Deathwatch Terminators box was particularly nice, as it had 30 Power Armored shoulder pads.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Awesome, thanks!

I'm dipping my toes in marines for the first time and can definitely feel the main faction privileges, so many bitz that can be used across the range with minimal chopping.

Used a bunch of kill team pieces to make my VVs and then a bunch of the vets bits to make my bikers. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Serotonin posted:

Not sure if this is banned chat but I know recasters sell the knight weapons separately, which seems like a good option to magnetise

Any option to starve eBay price gougers ia a good one in my book. *Shudders at the memory of $50 Gatling cannons*