Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

xzzy posted:

Apple denied approving the steamlink app, no reason given but there sure are theories!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/valve-apple-wont-let-the-steam-link-app-on-the-ios/

brb raging on macrumors and threatening to 'drop apple'

brb preordering everything at wwdc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’ve been giving the new Castro update a try now that it’s got a trim silence feature.

Compared to Overcast, I like Castro’s podcast discovery feature better because I feel like it has more podcasts and also more variety. It feels like this feature was designed as a forethought whereas Overcast’s was added as an afterthought. I also like the UI a bit better than Overcast’s “card” based UI, but imo it’s a bit “big” (spacing, font).

Downsides though is that Castro doesn’t have a “sleep after this episode” though I guess you can just turn off continuous play but then you need to remember to turn it back on. I’m not really sure I like the whole inbox —> queue triage system either cause I prefer to just have everything added and if I don’t like it I’ll skip/delete the episode after the fact. Castro has per-podcast settings for playback speed etc but there doesn’t seem to be a way to set them without having to go into the main menu. Overcast on the other hand lets you change them right there on the now playing card. But the thing I dislike the most about Castro is the pull down menu it implements. I’m really not sure how anyone working there thought it was a good idea to add a tiny pull down gesture that is exactly identical and in the same place as iOS’s system wide pull down menu.

e: Castro’s triage system is that you can choose to add a new episode to the top or bottom of your queue, or to archive (ignore) it. I feel there there should be one more button to add an episode right below the current top episode.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 25, 2018

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MarcusSA posted:

It does??

Y’know, I double-checked before posting my reply, and found articles that mentioned Instagram’s Focus mode (its name for Portrait photos) is available on certain non dual-lens phones. I took the reputable sources at their word, assuming they worked off an Instagram press release.

But I tried to use it now on my spare phone and it didn’t work. The internet made me stupid.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It has a fake-DOF filter that uses software rendering in my 6s+. It’s actually not bad at all to be honest.

eames
May 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

Apple denied approving the steamlink app, no reason given but there sure are theories!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/valve-apple-wont-let-the-steam-link-app-on-the-ios/

I was looking forward to try that but figured this would happen. The Toucharcade* review was extremely positive and openly questioned why Apple would allow this on the store. The only shocking thing about this is that I just don't care anymore. :smith:

* a site that may or may not use crapware iTunes affiliate links as part of their business model

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any (good) email apps that does Exchange, push notifications, and has an easy way to save emails as PDFs?

Both the default Mail.app and Outlook don’t support saving to pdf. Spark does do this, but according to people in the iPhone thread Spark basically needs access to my email accounts in order to push notifications to me which crosses that out too.

Proteus Jones posted:

A lot of them do these days if you want push notifications (Airmail, Spark, EdisonMail). Basically they cache your credentials and constantly pull email. When a new one shows up, they use Apple’s push notification API to alert you.

It’s a real issue from an InfoSec point of view, and makes BYOB a real loving headache.

Read your IT policies, using one of these apps could be grounds for termination since it could fall under “credential sharing”. I know we’re supposed to only use either the default Mail.app or iOS Outlook for our work email.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any (good) email apps that does Exchange, push notifications, and has an easy way to save emails as PDFs?

Both the default Mail.app and Outlook don’t support saving to pdf. Spark does do this, but according to people in the iPhone thread Spark basically needs access to my email accounts in order to push notifications to me which crosses that out too.

I just want to be clear, when I say “cache credentials” I’m not referring to the app on iOS. I referring to their own servers which they place in the middle of the iOS app and your email servers.

This is exactly how Acompli did it, and why it was denied for use at my work until MS bought it and rebranded it as Outlook for iOS.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 25, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

I just want to be clear, when I say “cache credentials” I’m not referring to the app on iOS. I referring to their own servers which they place in the middle of the iOS app and your email servers.

This is exactly how Acompli did it, and why it was denied for use at my work until MS bought it and rebranded it as Outlook for iOS.

Yeah I got that. I (maybe foolishly) thought that Spark transported email from me and the mail server without seeing the contents using imap/exchange/etc, and then that it did all the other stuff like sorting emails into groups etc on device.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

eames posted:

* a site that may or may not use crapware iTunes affiliate links as part of their business model

What about this is “crapware,” and also, who cares?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because you have no credibility as a journalist when your bills are paid by the thing you're claiming to review.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
the day I knew democracy died was when we lost journalistic integrity of honest, unbiased candy crush reporting

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

maduin posted:

The Outlook app was really good for a while after it was acquired, but the longer Microsoft has had it, the shittier it's become. Almost all the Sunrise people have left for other companies, too, which doesn't really look great for the future...

Re: planner apps: It's not a traditional "to do" app, like Todoist, but I've started using Notion (https://notion.so) for basic lists & to do's, taking notes, initial brainstorms & drafts of things, etc. It's incredibly powerful, flexible, and I've found it to be one of the few apps I can sort of work with the way my brain operates, rather than the way the app developers want me to operate. If you're going to use it regularly, you'll probably need to subscribe for $4/mo, but it's seriously replaced my notes app, my to do app, my markdown editor/outliner, and I'm playing with the idea of using it instead of Word or Scrivener for writing beyond just early drafts. I even use it to create a digital syllabus and class schedule for classes I'm teaching, letting me avoid the poo poo-stain that is Canvas, for the most part.

Thanks for the recommendation for Notion. I'm a sucker for planning apps and such. I find myself constantly bouncing between a solid notebook and an app every 4-6 months. I like the idea of it being a knowledge base though, pretty clever uses I can come up with her potentially. If I get the discipline to build it out properly.

Is there a way to export it all in the event that I decide to go another route / company goes under? I'd hate to spend all that time to not have a good clean solution for that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Because you have no credibility as a journalist when your bills are paid by the thing you're claiming to review.

Lol well one of the dudes who runs TA is a goon and honestly they are lucky the site is still around. They really make like no money on the drat thing.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Proteus Jones posted:

Did they unban it because “we trust Microsoft” or because you use Office365-hosted Exchange servers and they already have your mail anyways?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fordan posted:

Did they unban it because “we trust Microsoft” or because you use Office365-hosted Exchange servers and they already have your mail anyways?

The 2nd part.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Boris Galerkin posted:

Both the default Mail.app and Outlook don’t support saving to pdf

Does this trick not work anymore?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pretty sure there's a "Make PDF" Workflow action.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Pretty sure there's a "Make PDF" Workflow action.

There absolutely is.

I have an “Action Workflow” that set to convert “all pages” to a PDF and then ask me where I want to save the PDF on my iCloud Drive.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Care to post it please :) ?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I tried making a workflow for this but I couldn’t find any actions(?) that suggested it could save an email as a pdf, but that’s a moot point anyway because I don’t see a “share” button in Mail.app to trigger workflow actions with?

Craptacular! posted:

Does this trick not work anymore?

So that works but it shows each page of the email as separate PDFs. It’s really inconvenient to download multiple pages and then find a way/remember to concatenate them together after the fact.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I tried making a workflow for this but I couldn’t find any actions(?) that suggested it could save an email as a pdf, but that’s a moot point anyway because I don’t see a “share” button in Mail.app to trigger workflow actions with?

So that works but it shows each page of the email as separate PDFs. It’s really inconvenient to download multiple pages and then find a way/remember to concatenate them together after the fact.

It’s a little clunky, but you need to select “print” in the email you want to make into a PDF. Then you have to long press one of the preview pages. If you have 3D Touch, you’ll feel two “clicks”. There’s probably an easier way, but this works.

Hit Print:

Long click one of the preview pages:

Hit the “action” icon

Select Run Workflow:

Make sure you have a workflow set up to convert to PDF.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Workflow is so drat awesome.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s a little clunky, but you need to select “print” in the email you want to make into a PDF. Then you have to long press one of the preview pages. If you have 3D Touch, you’ll feel two “clicks”. There’s probably an easier way, but this works.

Hit Print:

Long click one of the preview pages:

Hit the “action” icon

Select Run Workflow:

Make sure you have a workflow set up to convert to PDF.

Oh that’s neat. I knew about that print workaround but I always saw multi page emails show up as separate PDFs. Turns out zooming in on one (reverse pinching works too) will get you all pages in one document. From there I can just save directly to Files (it’s already a pdf), no need for workflow.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Hello Spaceman posted:

Y’know, I double-checked before posting my reply, and found articles that mentioned Instagram’s Focus mode (its name for Portrait photos) is available on certain non dual-lens phones. I took the reputable sources at their word, assuming they worked off an Instagram press release.

But I tried to use it now on my spare phone and it didn’t work. The internet made me stupid.

Works fine on my 6s, but it's part of the new fake snapchat Stories feature with all the filters (camera in the top-left). You don't get it in the old timeline photo mode (bottom center + button).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What’s a good cross platform (iOS and web) read it later service to replace Instapaper? Instapaper has been shut down “temporarily” for the EU because if GDPR and who knows when they’ll bring it back up. I’m currently trying out Pocket which seems to be okay but it’s not free. It being not free doesn’t bother me but I thought it was owned by Mozilla since they’ve baked it directly into Firefox, so I figured it would have been a free service.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s a good cross platform (iOS and web) read it later service to replace Instapaper? Instapaper has been shut down “temporarily” for the EU because if GDPR and who knows when they’ll bring it back up. I’m currently trying out Pocket which seems to be okay but it’s not free. It being not free doesn’t bother me but I thought it was owned by Mozilla since they’ve baked it directly into Firefox, so I figured it would have been a free service.

A good service is pinboard. It costs money.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ve been using Pocket for a while and I’ve never paid for it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Pocket is free if you’re okay with ads. Pinboards the best though if you’re cool with paint some money. Use Pinner on iOS.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’ve been using Pocket for a while and I’ve never paid for it.

It's free with a paid option to remove ads. It's just that Mozilla owns it and I thought they were all in on the free/open source software thing, and it's really weird that they are building in a paid service into their free browser.

Either way, I'm not a fan of Pocket after using it for a few days. On my iPad everything is a tile and I just really hate the tile/Pinterest-like interface. On my iPhone there is just so much wasted space and no way to turn off pictures/thumbnails. All the ads it shows me are for Audible and I already subscribe to it, and there's no way to tell it that I'm not interested like in Instagram.

Grassy Knowles posted:

A good service is pinboard. It costs money.

maduin posted:

Pocket is free if you’re okay with ads. Pinboards the best though if you’re cool with paint some money. Use Pinner on iOS.

I was hesitant to check this out because from the name I thought it was another tile/Pinterest-like thing but it looks pretty neat. I signed up for the trial (really it's just cancel within 3 days) and while I couldn't import from Instapaper, I could export from Instapaper and import that into Pocket, and then import from Pocket.

One of the selling points of Pinboard is that it's fast but honestly the website feels excruciatingly slow to me. I don't like how the Chrome extension requires me to click the icon, then mouse over the "read later" button and click that just to save a link. Is there a way to make it behave like the Instapaper extension where clicking the button saves the current tab? I'm also really confused about the numbers in Pinboard that show up next to my username. I take it it's suppose to show how many bookmarks I have, but my "unread" page shows 0 despite me marking some bookmarks as unread. The number also doesn't seem to update/change when I delete bookmarks.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

One of the selling points of Pinboard is that it's fast but honestly the website feels excruciatingly slow to me. I don't like how the Chrome extension requires me to click the icon, then mouse over the "read later" button and click that just to save a link. Is there a way to make it behave like the Instapaper extension where clicking the button saves the current tab? I'm also really confused about the numbers in Pinboard that show up next to my username. I take it it's suppose to show how many bookmarks I have, but my "unread" page shows 0 despite me marking some bookmarks as unread. The number also doesn't seem to update/change when I delete bookmarks.

For your first question, I just use the "read later" bookmarklet from this page. I don't think I've ever even tried the extension.

As for the number, it doesn't update live when you make changes on the page - try hitting refresh.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Arcsech posted:

For your first question, I just use the "read later" bookmarklet from this page. I don't think I've ever even tried the extension.

As for the number, it doesn't update live when you make changes on the page - try hitting refresh.

Neat, thanks. This is much better than the extension I had installed.

Another question, is Carrot Weather "worth it" if I don't care for the "snarky" personality (I'm just going to disable it because I think it's dumb), live in a country where Dark Sky up to the minute rain forecasts aren't available, don't care about the augumented reality thing, don't care about the achievements (seriously why is this a thing), and don't care much for a radar view? What I'm looking for is a nice pull down/lock screen view of weather conditions and a nice/fast watch complication would be a big bonus. I keep reading glowing reviews for this but those things I don't care for are what the reviews say is great about it, but then again I'm probably also never going to open the app other than to change settings.

The default Weather app is okay but I feel like the Weather Channel source is off for my location.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 31, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Another question, is Carrot Weather "worth it" if I don't care for the "snarky" personality (I'm just going to disable it because I think it's dumb), live in a country where Dark Sky up to the minute rain forecasts aren't available, don't care about the augumented reality thing, don't care about the achievements (seriously why is this a thing), and don't care much for a radar view? What I'm looking for is a nice pull down/lock screen view of weather conditions and a nice/fast watch complication would be a big bonus. I keep reading glowing reviews for this but those things I don't care for are what the reviews say is great about it, but then again I'm probably also never going to open the app other than to change settings.

The default Weather app is okay but I feel like the Weather Channel source is off for my location.

I use it and you can turn off all the snark.

BeWeather used to be my go to recommendation. Then it turned to unreliable poo poo where it had difficulty pulling in weather data from it’s feed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I like Hello Weather. Pulls current conditions and upcoming rain from Dark Sky and uses Weather Underground’s data for forecasts.

Presents everything simply. It also offers a lot of customization if you subscribe.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Proteus Jones posted:

I use it and you can turn off all the snark.

BeWeather used to be my go to recommendation. Then it turned to unreliable poo poo where it had difficulty pulling in weather data from it’s feed.

Yeah what the hell happened to BeWeather? It’s really annoying now how bad it is about pulling data. Did weatherunderground change their API massively or something?

Now I use the weather channel app.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

weather.gov :colbert:

Well and the Apple weather widget on my watch face.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s something funky with the native weather app because it currently has San Juan, PR at a cool 30 degrees all week. As cool as it would be to see snow in the Caribbean I think the data is off.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like it, but I enjoy the snark (today's message was an early congratulations to the 2024 President-Elect Rosanne Barr). Having used a variety of weather apps, I like the layout of Carrot though, so I'd probably use it even without the commentary.

The achievements are kind of fun and the map mini-game was worth the price of admission.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Weather app chat: Yr is good.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s something funky with the native weather app because it currently has San Juan, PR at a cool 30 degrees all week. As cool as it would be to see snow in the Caribbean I think the data is off.

...it’s probably in Celsius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Weather Line is a good no nonsense app with good info as well