Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's Tokyo. Nobody gives a gently caress about you. And Japanese people don't get offended about you wanting to wear their clothes, that's just internet guilty white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I told my partner's old Chinese dad that we are going to be cycling through the countryside of Japan this summer. He spent half an hour warning us to be careful of racist Japanese people :allears:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, native Japanese aren't othered in their own country like diaspora Asians are, so cultural appropriation rankles a lot less for them. In fact, the attitude seems to be closer to "it's cool when foreigners borrow our traditional culture practices, even if they're doing it wrong."

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Richard M Nixon posted:

gently caress, I feel fat enough without buying clothes from uniqlo and seeing their bs sizing... I'm going to blend right in!

I'm going with another couple and they are really into the idea of wearing yukata and walking around Tokyo. Am I correctly assuming that it's the equivalent of that picture of the white guy on the train wearing the rice farmer hat?

Maybe you are just fat.

Do you know that Japanese diet is amazing and nutritious? Go to family mart!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

I told my partner's old Chinese dad that we are going to be cycling through the countryside of Japan this summer. He spent half an hour warning us to be careful of racist Japanese people :allears:

Yeah because cycling around rural Chinese roads is so oh safe.

If old Chinese dad likes to hate on racist Japanese he better hate the god drat commies which causes a decade of cultural genocide and regression.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

caberham posted:

he better hate the god drat commies which causes a decade of cultural genocide and regression.
He placed a flower at the Chairman's tomb when he went to visit the mainland.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm sure some of the China goons that post here speak Chinese - do you think mainlander tourists are better or worse if you can understand them?

For the most part, I hate them even more when I can understand them because of it. It's like whereas I might have given them the benefit of the doubt before, it actually turns out that they're completely undeserving of it. Really disappointing, but hopefully getting better as younger generation that's growing up more socially aware start taking these vacations rather than the older generation. Will take a while, though..

In another topic, it looks like I'm going to end up with a dozen people pre-Fuji Rock. Anyone know of an izakaya around Shibuya that might be able to accommodate that many people? There's certainly no shortage of izakayas, but that's a lot of people at once. Don't care if it's a chain or whatever, just need a few options just in case.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I have met a young couple from southern China in Hokkaido when we shared a cab from the ski resort to the hotel. They spent a lot of time and effort to get to furano for a ski trip. But they never paid for lessons and just went up the lift once.

Their hometown actually has an indoor artificial ski park and school and they totally could have gotten lessons there. I asked why they didn’t take lessons beforehand and their answer was “it’s so low class and gross”

Like what the gently caress, you guys could have enjoyed the mountain and snow a lot more instead of flopping around and spending god knows how much getting here and getting a visa. At least pay for a lesson on site, they have loving mandarin speaking ski coaches. I really don’t loving get it.

So why furano and not just a smaller ski park like Sapporo? BECAUSE IT IS THE MOST FAMOUS AND WE HAVE NEVER SEEN SNOW IN OUR LIFE. SO WE WANT THE BEST THERE IS. I died a little and I thought for being so young you guys are still loving garbage and even worst than your sheltered parents.

My friend who went skiing with me is actually a mainlander and she was just as disgusted as I was.

In Ueno park during Hanami I hear lots of middle aged Chinese aunties and uncles praising japan and liking how orderly and clean and polite and passive aggressive everyone is. And that japan should be a role model for China to follow when it comes to respecting public space and public behavior, so everyone really needs to create a culture of respect for the younger generation to follow.

You also hear the usual X is cheap X is famous so we should get it. And the usual complaints of oh no there’s no Chinese food or spicy food or japan is too expensive or whatever tour groups like to complain about

Worst is going to and only insisting on going to ichiran during the daytime.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

I'm sure some of the China goons that post here speak Chinese - do you think mainlander tourists are better or worse if you can understand them?

For the most part, I hate them even more when I can understand them because of it. It's like whereas I might have given them the benefit of the doubt before, it actually turns out that they're completely undeserving of it. Really disappointing, but hopefully getting better as younger generation that's growing up more socially aware start taking these vacations rather than the older generation. Will take a while, though..

What are they saying?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My Chinese mother-in-law told me not to go to any restaurants that the Chinese tour buses go to, because it's well known they will poison the food to continue killing Chinese people, which is the preferred hobby of the Japanese.

I asked why the tour buses still go to those places if it's common knowledge that they poison the food but I didn't really get a response. But I will avoid them anyway because Chinese tour groups are a pain in the rear end.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

gently caress, I feel fat enough without buying clothes from uniqlo and seeing their bs sizing... I'm going to blend right in!

I'm going with another couple and they are really into the idea of wearing yukata and walking around Tokyo. Am I correctly assuming that it's the equivalent of that picture of the white guy on the train wearing the rice farmer hat?

It's not going to offend anyone, but yes you guys will look like massive tools. Spend a few days there, try to realize how much you'd stick out, then consider if you really want to do it. If you have a festival going on somewhere near you it would be a good opportunity to do it without looking like idiots, though.

Mons Hubris posted:

My Chinese mother-in-law told me not to go to any restaurants that the Chinese tour buses go to, because it's well known they will poison the food to continue killing Chinese people, which is the preferred hobby of the Japanese.

I asked why the tour buses still go to those places if it's common knowledge that they poison the food but I didn't really get a response. But I will avoid them anyway because Chinese tour groups are a pain in the rear end.

You obviously realize this is ridiculous, but to further the point where the tour buses go for food are almost always Chinese food places run and staffed by Chinese people anyway.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jimbei are more comfortable than yukata and you should definitely buy one if you visit June-August. Wearing it... not recommended for all day just because they're fussy. But if you're gonna get started at anyway, get stared at doing something fun like posing at shrines and/or drinking in the park.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I can't comprehend visiting another country just to eat the food commonly available at home. Sure, I don't always care for everything a local cuisine has to offer, but there is usually something delicious wherever I go.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

CopperHound posted:

I can't comprehend visiting another country just to eat the food commonly available at home. Sure, I don't always care for everything a local cuisine has to offer, but there is usually something delicious wherever I go.

Sometimes it's interesting; there's this wood-fired pizza place in Minato where the dude studied under some amazing pizza-maker in Italy before coming back and doing his own thing. Very Japanese, very delicious.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Muji sells a nice jimbei.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

movax posted:

What are they saying?

Just generally uneducated and ignorant things. It's not so outlandish that I couldn't imagine a "typical American tourist" saying similar things, but I think it's the fact that they tend to travel in groups that the type of "bad tourist" behavior stands out more (because there's more of them) and they don't get some social cues because there's enough of them around that they don't notice. It's easy to see people glaring at you if you're a couple, but if you're a group of 20-30 people, you just see your own group when you look around.

That and Chinese people are just super casually racist and have no loving clue - my own mother dropped a "all Jews are rich" on me a bit ago just casually talking about someone she used to babysit for when we first emigrated to America.

Honestly, I wonder if it's more because they're one big loving group that's the biggest problem.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

movax posted:

Sometimes it's interesting; there's this wood-fired pizza place in Minato where the dude studied under some amazing pizza-maker in Italy before coming back and doing his own thing. Very Japanese, very delicious.

It's Savoy. I wouldn't really call it very Japanese, except for how it's perfection in its simplicity, because you'll confuse people as to what you mean.

David Chang and Aziz Ansari are apparently there every time they're in Japan lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

totalnewbie posted:

Just generally uneducated and ignorant things. It's not so outlandish that I couldn't imagine a "typical American tourist" saying similar things,

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's Savoy. I wouldn't really call it very Japanese, except for how it's perfection in its simplicity, because you'll confuse people as to what you mean.

David Chang and Aziz Ansari are apparently there every time they're in Japan lol

There are like 3 Savoys or something. And then you have the spin-off Frey's from one of the old Savoy chefs that some people say are better.

I want to try out Pizza Studio Tamaki though - everyone I know that loves Savoy says it's the first place they've found that's better than Savoy.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Aredna posted:

There are like 3 Savoys or something. And then you have the spin-off Frey's from one of the old Savoy chefs that some people say are better.

I want to try out Pizza Studio Tamaki though - everyone I know that loves Savoy says it's the first place they've found that's better than Savoy.

Believe the juuban one is the original though. Have heard of Tamaki but haven't tried yet; will need to next time.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

In Ueno park during Hanami I hear lots of middle aged Chinese aunties and uncles praising japan and liking how orderly and clean and polite and passive aggressive everyone is.

You know things are bad when you see the passive aggressiveness of Tokyo as a plus.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

Pizza tamaki?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tried tamaki, I’m kinda disappointed compared to motorino in Brooklyn or south east Asia.

The dough in tamaki is good, the salt is a little too strong but the chewiness is good. Rest is meh and the customers there a tad pretentious when it’s just better than average pizza

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

CopperHound posted:

Ah, going on business trips with people from China who have a suitcase full of noodles. At least they also brought a hot water thing so they weren't doing it dorm room coffee pot style...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

caberham posted:

Pizza tamaki?

I was thinking Frey’s. My favorite yakitori place is right around the corner from there. I’m there maybe 2x a year and Hirano-san still remembers me. My buddy showed me the place and it was amazing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CopperHound posted:

People in East Asia are generally pretty autistic about food. Cabe can post pictures of his coworkers' luggage.

Best thing I ever saw was the guy bringing a five kilo bag of rice with him to Japan so he'd have something to eat, Japan famously not having rice.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Richard M Nixon posted:

Ah, going on business trips with people from China who have a suitcase full of noodles. At least they also brought a hot water thing so they weren't doing it dorm room coffee pot style...

Yeah it sucks but to their defense they were going for work and were paid per diem. Some other coworker also had a bad experience going to small town Europe late at night where everything was closed and he ended up hungry.

I also found out first hand that most restaurant in Italy don’t really open until 8pm and people just have snacks and drink lots of wine beforehand.

But we totally could have bought stuff in Europe when we were driving a big rear end van across Italy and Germany.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Just generally uneducated and ignorant things. It's not so outlandish that I couldn't imagine a "typical American tourist" saying similar things, but I think it's the fact that they tend to travel in groups that the type of "bad tourist" behavior stands out more (because there's more of them) and they don't get some social cues because there's enough of them around that they don't notice. It's easy to see people glaring at you if you're a couple, but if you're a group of 20-30 people, you just see your own group when you look around.

That and Chinese people are just super casually racist and have no loving clue - my own mother dropped a "all Jews are rich" on me a bit ago just casually talking about someone she used to babysit for when we first emigrated to America.

Honestly, I wonder if it's more because they're one big loving group that's the biggest problem.

If understanding racist remarks like those are your major issue with Chinese tourists, I suggest you don't learn any other language at all because you will be shocked. Even English may be problematic given the right crowd.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My in laws were engineers and lucky enough to go to Europe for work 30 years ago. Instead of spending the per diem on food they just survived on whatever scraps and extra loaves of bread during business lunch.

I still remember my dad taking our whole family to japan during the 80s to hustle for business. we basically traveled frugally and both my sisters shared a bed while I slept on the floor when I was 6.

Like back then all the material good were super fancy my mom saved extra money to buy rice cookers or whatever for relatives back home.

So I kinda get it when tourists from developing countries or poorer backgrounds spend minimal amounts on food and want to see more because that trip to japan is probably

1. Their first big trip overseas and they are doing it wrong because they are inexperienced

2. Their only trip to japan/x because they want to spend money elsewhere

3. It’s too overwhelming so they spend money on tour groups which cater to their desires instead of cultivating it.

I still remember goons in this thread give me poo poo when I like to go look at side streets and architecture and enjoy the ambiance of things instead of going to major landmarks in Kyoto. Of course we have to pass by but only if you really get a fun experience out of it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

If understanding racist remarks like those are your major issue with Chinese tourists, I suggest you don't learn any other language at all because you will be shocked. Even English may be problematic given the right crowd.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I went to France as a teenager and I started ordering food in French. Freaking British tourists next to me were surprised an Asia guy could speak French and casually mentioned that I’m Vietnamese.

My French accent is really bad

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

You know things are bad when you see the passive aggressiveness of Tokyo as a plus.

It’s way better than American patronizing

SIR SIR SIR

or the I don’t know shrug

Or getting out right scammed

Tokyo is a fine city for tourists

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sir isn't patronizing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Aggressive sorry. Tackle you down and yell at you

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Imma go out on a limb and say you probably deserved it.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

If you are going to a festival it's totally normal to wear a yukata, but just wearing them around town is pretty weird.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

teddust posted:

If you are going to a festival it's totally normal to wear a yukata, but just wearing them around town is pretty weird.

Yeah. Instead you should dress up like Luigi and drive a go-kart around. That's a more acceptable form of dress for foreigners in Tokyo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I want the goofy idiots to walk around in yukatas on Tuesday or whatever. Stop spoiling it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah. Instead you should dress up like Luigi and drive a go-kart around. That's a more acceptable form of dress for foreigners in Tokyo.

I did MariCar back in November. It was awesome and a shitload of fun and I’ve got no shame about it. A++ would do again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caberham posted:

So I kinda get it when tourists from developing countries or poorer backgrounds spend minimal amounts on food and want to see more because that trip to japan is probably

1. Their first big trip overseas and they are doing it wrong because they are inexperienced

2. Their only trip to japan/x because they want to spend money elsewhere

3. It’s too overwhelming so they spend money on tour groups which cater to their desires instead of cultivating it.

My favorite story about this is my (Japanese) coworkers who asked me if they should take bottles of tea with them on their trip to Italy. They were concerned that bringing enough tea for the whole trip would make their bags too heavy. I had never been to Italy but I said that Italians probably got thirsty too and there was most likely water to drink there if they didn’t want to bring tea in their luggage.

Well. They got back and were very upset with me, because they were so thirsty their entire trip and it was all my fault because I didn’t tell them to bring tea. I asked why they didn’t just drink water, and they said there weren’t any vending machines so they didn’t know where to buy it. So they were just thirsty and miserable the whole trip instead of just asking their tour guide to stop at a store or something. I asked what the other people on the tour did. Of course, they brought many bottles of tea with them.

Several years after that I went to Italy myself, and there were guys selling water on just about every street corner, besides all the normal sources of water like stores and faucets. I have no idea how they managed to miss that.