Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Now do one where it's full of eyes.

Jesus. Challenge runs are crazy. And I thought Dark Souls was the point where 'game so hard it destroys itself if you die' joke was first made.

Nah, it's pretty old. NES and arcade games were often infamously hard to get more play and/or cash out of pretty limited memory, so some people kind of got to assuming that was what made the good ones good. Sometimes it leads to things like Dark Souls, which up the challenge in interesting ways to force deeper, more considered engagement.

Other times... less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Regalingualius posted:

I don’t know if it’s just because OFS has been glazing over the villain team’s dialogue, but... Have we even gotten any hints about WHY they’ve been doing everything we’ve seen so far?

It’d be one thing if they’re just eco terrorists attempting to be the ones to tip the already-teetering city over the brink so it has to be abandoned, but... Something tells me it’s going to be significantly more convoluted than that.

normal ecoterrorists probably wouldn't hook their pokemon up to a machine and use it for terrorisms

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

normal ecoterrorists probably wouldn't hook their pokemon up to a machine and use it for terrorisms

To paraphrase the immortal philosopher Van Pelt:

"They can if they're stupid!"

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Considering some of them are dumb enough to invade research labs and release the lab mice into the wild nearby... (as has actually happened IRL)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't blame Reborn here if it goes with the ecoterrorist approach because the last time we had those, they tried to literally flood and scorch their region because MORE WATER/MORE LAND.

God, Archie and Maxie were dumb. The former especially, Hoenn has enough water already.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
OFS, people are starting to contact me elsewhere regarding my comment a couple pages ago about being able to remove the level caps and seeing if it makes Julia any less tedious, or at least defeatable by conventional means. That is something I should be able to do, but obviously it's up to you to let me post something like that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Yeah sure have at it, it'll be interesting to see alternate takes on some of these boss trainer battle thingies.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

poo poo wrong thread

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 30, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Aerdan posted:

Considering some of them are dumb enough to invade research labs and release the lab mice into the wild nearby... (as has actually happened IRL)

yeah, a european Animal Ecoterrorist group did that with a mink farm, a good chunk of the minks ended their lives under the wheels of cars, others scattered into the wilderness and ate the already endangered voles. Same for PETA and some of their members trying to force their pets - including obligate carnivores like cats to go vegans

Extremists never think about the consequences of their actions, only the 'righteousness' of the initial act.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ChaseSP posted:

I can only imagine teleporting in Shadowrun ripping the soul and body apart, ending up with a comatose/enraged indiscriminate killer and a left over remnant where they were. At the least.
Wrong thread. Good post, but wrong thread.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

chiasaur11 posted:

Nah, it's pretty old. NES and arcade games were often infamously hard to get more play and/or cash out of pretty limited memory, so some people kind of got to assuming that was what made the good ones good. Sometimes it leads to things like Dark Souls, which up the challenge in interesting ways to force deeper, more considered engagement.

Other times... less so.

that and it's the developers who tested the games, so they already knew all the little tricks, so they didn't realize how harder it would be for people going in blind.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Pokemon Noire

You play as an investigator trying to get to the bottom of a violent animal fighting ring, picking up evidence from the aftermath of bloody battles. It all starts with a visit to a shady club where smoke fills the air between yourself and the stage where a gardevoir sings.

All the themes from other pokemon games have been remixed in smooth jazz, with the occasional big band battle theme.

From a bit back, but play it straight and stick to proper Noir tropes, with a little wink and a nod, you'd actually have a fun little game. Like even the choice of Pokemon is played straight. Make the pokemon professor a tall drink of water offering you salvation in a pokeball instead of a shot glass, that sort of thing.

PMush Perfect posted:

Wrong thread. Good post, but wrong thread.

Considering Reborn it might not be.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ChaseSP posted:

I can only imagine teleporting in Shadowrun ripping the soul and body apart, ending up with a comatose/enraged indiscriminate killer and a left over remnant where they were. At the least.

This post got me thinking, I'm shocked Reborn hasn't had a transporter malfunction kill someone, or implied one happened.

It seems so easy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This post got me thinking, I'm shocked Reborn hasn't had a transporter malfunction kill someone, or implied one happened.

It seems so easy.

Even better - Human-Pokemon hybrids a'la The Fly

e: or would that just result in Sonic characters?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

mainline pokemon already did that :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

rannum posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot. The PC guy who turned into a slowpoke or something?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

rannum posted:

A long time ago, no less.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Poor Bill, truly a misunderstood trailblazer. You gotta wonder why his research never comes up again? :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ritznit posted:

Poor Bill, truly a misunderstood trailblazer. You gotta wonder why his research never comes up again? :v:

Well, his research into boxes is still vital for Pokemon Trainers everywhere, even if his UI was horrendous and someone else had to fix it for him, and it got several upgrades by other people to make it not horribly tedious to use.

The Pokemon fusion thing...I'm sure someone out there is working on it. Only, not as an accident this time.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, his research into boxes is still vital for Pokemon Trainers everywhere, even if his UI was horrendous and someone else had to fix it for him, and it got several upgrades by other people to make it not horribly tedious to use.

The Pokemon fusion thing...I'm sure someone out there is working on it. Only, not as an accident this time.

In gen 2 his research also lead to time travel

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

They already got it working, and it turned into... a mediocre manga.

rannum posted:

In gen 2 his research also lead to time travel
Bill was the Doc Brown of Pokemon.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
After way more wrestling than should have been needed, I’ve managed to rip the entire stupid level gating system out of Reborn. I mean, it’s still ostensibly there, but I’ve told it to accept any number of badges, including zero badges, as though you have all 18. I wanted to just remove the disobedience check entirely, but it’s apparently so badly coded that I would have to reimplement obedience checking by hand, otherwise your active pokemon is unable to attack.

Anyway, onto the reason I’ve done this. With the traditional level grinding method of defeating gym leaders available again, it’s time to see if brute force can defeat Julia. Problem is, I’m not used to dealing with gym leaders that have 6 pokemon at level 15+, so I’m going to have to guess at what is reasonable to bring against that.

This seems reasonable. No TMs or stat boosting items, just power leveling until the gym leader is (hopefully) beaten into submission, as is tradition.

The resulting battle is actually uninteresting, as I completely steamroll Julia. Only her Geodude and Electrode can withstand a Level 31 STAB Flame Wheel, but I’m also not convinced it’s feasible to grind up to that level this early in the game. I’ll need to try something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PjhIi3btRQ
(lovely Gym Leader music replaced with the Johto Gym Leader remix by ZameJack)

Level 25 for Quilava turns out to be the exact tipping point for winning against Julia. With her switching out to give me free hits, Quilava lives exactly long enough to get a double KO with Electrode to win the battle. Level 26 Quilava seems to be able to defeat Julia with a sliver of HP left.

But let’s dig a little deeper. I can change the encounter charts for the game, so why not put in some of the pokemon that you might normally have around this time?

Like this Level 17 Geodude:
https://youtu.be/p7CLC33x-D4

It can almost solo Julia and might be able to with some luck. It feels like an actual solution to the problem of “having 6 electric pokemon”. Let’s try something else.

https://youtu.be/efhOwxzqdVU

Since we see an Absol in the opening cutscene, I’ve decided it’s fair to use one here. Why? Double Team. With evasion boosts, there’s nothing they can do against a hungry Absol.

You might have noticed that in all three videos, one of the Voltorbs and the Electrode both cause “aftermath” damage when you KO them. I can only assume this was added solely to gently caress with the player.

I’ll mess around with PULSE Tangrowth at some point, and probably update every couple of “boss” fights.

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 31, 2018

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean, Aftermath IS the Voltorb line’s canon Hidden Ability. It just also helps it’s an annoying chunk of damage the Reborn developers could impose.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Here's one thing I can honestly say Reborn does right that Uranium hosed up: They didn't gently caress with the battle UI. I mean, when you have this:

Versus this:

WHY DOES THE EXP BAR LOOK LIKE A LIFEBAR ASDLAG

Also, no loving beeping when your active Pokemon is low on health. I know I'm dying, I can read the screen.

RyuHimora posted:

It can almost solo Julia and might be able to with some luck. It feels like an actual solution to the problem of “having 6 electric pokemon”. Let’s try something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?efhOwxzqdVU
Neither of these videos work for me.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Neither of these videos work for me.

Weird. I think I fixed it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

RyuHimora posted:

Weird. I think I fixed it.

nope!

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

...it's working for me, even when I'm logged out of YT. Huh. I guess I'll replace them with embeds and hope that works?

Edit: nevermind, made them normal clickable URLs.

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 31, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

They all worked for me... :confused:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
They're working now, at least. Maybe my computer was overcome by foul magicks or a lovely connection or something.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Jeff Vogel's Kickstarter campaign made me think about Geneforge again, and how it does a more mature/'gritty' story about magical critters and their handlers fighting each other infinitely better.

I mean, this is just embarrassing on all levels.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is another one of those LPs that makes me feel like I could make a better Essentials game in six months while drunk than this.

I want to say "but I have better things to do with my time", but most of my free time these days has been spent sitting on my couch playing an Emerald randomizer. (I have a Normal/Dragon Wooper named Mr. Twister. He is a glass cannon but he learned Dragon Dance at level 12 and I love him very much. :wooper:)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, a european Animal Ecoterrorist group did that with a mink farm, a good chunk of the minks ended their lives under the wheels of cars, others scattered into the wilderness and ate the already endangered voles. Same for PETA and some of their members trying to force their pets - including obligate carnivores like cats to go vegans

Extremists never think about the consequences of their actions, only the 'righteousness' of the initial act.
PETA just outright kills a lot of animals, too.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zereth posted:

PETA just outright kills a lot of animals, too.

Better dead than having to be under human control. :downs:

Shame the dipshits can't actually benefit the world and apply that to themselves.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
You know, looking at all the talk about BST and whatnot makes me think there's totally a way to do all of this poo poo that isn't garbage. It'd just require work.

Like, I run D&D games wherein an understanding of 'Spell Levels' is totally a thing by NPCs (especially wizards who would test that rigorously poo poo to figure it out) but how they understand the world internally is a bit different from how we do. That's the key; let them have that understanding as they would logically derive it from existing in that world.

So what you do, right, is you take all of the existing stat totals and redo them based on a new scale. Say 1 to 100ish~? And a guide that explains the numbers are based on the absolute worst in that 'stat' and the absolute best. Then use those as the '1' and '100' value and place existing Pokemon between them. Take Speed, for example, with Shuckle as the lowest value and... Ninjask as the highest, since including Deoxys seems a bit weird. Shuckle is their '1' and Ninjask their '100' with something like, hm... without doing too much detailed math, Beedrill would sit at about 50 on that scale.

It'd still be kinda helpful for a player to see some of the values and it'd make more sense in-universe as a legitimate field of study that these people could be talking about. Actual flavour and fluff that makes it seem like they're trying to do something sorta unique rather than the immersion breaking mess of porting in actual Pokemon stats.

But that would be too hard inventive not 'elite' enough or something I guess?

Then again, maybe someone did do exactly that once upon a time considering in-game you can see your own Pokemon's stats, but that might be gameplay/story segregation since nobody usually talks about the actual numerical values.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

or instead of a numerical value you could make one of those funky star diagrams. one point on a geometric shape for each of the stats, each stat ranked S+/S/A/B/C/D/E, with corresponding visual representation on the diagram.

this thing

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 31, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

or instead of a numerical value you could make one of those funky star diagrams. one point on a geometric shape for each of the stats, each stat ranked S+/S/A/B/C/D/E, with corresponding visual representation on the diagram.

this thing
Stat ranks seem to be a not-awful way of doing this, I agree.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Nah, I'm really fine with the way essentials handles IV/EV display.
Eff that obfuscation poo poo.
Just don't incorporate it into the narrative.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ChrisBTY posted:

Nah, I'm really fine with the way essentials handles IV/EV display.
Eff that obfuscation poo poo.
Just don't incorporate it into the narrative.

I don't think anyone's complaining about the UI properly showing you numbers, because that's something that isn't directly connected to the narrative, it's something that exists entirely for the sake of gameplay.

The problem is, as you said, how this is incorporated into the narrative. Saying it as if it was the most normal thing in the world in-game destroys immersion and is just awkward in general.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bacchante posted:

So what you do, right, is you take all of the existing stat totals and redo them based on a new scale. Say 1 to 100ish~? And a guide that explains the numbers are based on the absolute worst in that 'stat' and the absolute best. Then use those as the '1' and '100' value and place existing Pokemon between them. Take Speed, for example, with Shuckle as the lowest value and... Ninjask as the highest, since including Deoxys seems a bit weird. Shuckle is their '1' and Ninjask their '100' with something like, hm... without doing too much detailed math, Beedrill would sit at about 50 on that scale.

Ironically one of the books in the school is Ninjask's highest stat values, like what they are at level 100 with evs/ivs/nature.

Its text is literally:

quote:

"Study notes: Ninjask Stat Caps"
"Maximum levels:
HP: 326\nAtk: 306 Def: 207
Sp.Atk: 218\nSp.Def: 218 Speed: 460"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I... appreciate(??) that's both pointless, useless cruft and actively, intentionally misleading just because.