Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

What's good for non-roomscale? Got the lenovo WMR headset when they were on nonsense sale and it's p nice but I have a tiny baby den in which to play so things I can do sitting down are preferable. I've been wanting to play Eve:Valkyrie since it launched but apparently nobody plays it anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ChickenWing posted:

What's good for non-roomscale? Got the lenovo WMR headset when they were on nonsense sale and it's p nice but I have a tiny baby den in which to play so things I can do sitting down are preferable. I've been wanting to play Eve:Valkyrie since it launched but apparently nobody plays it anymore :(

A lot of games will have modes to play seated, just use snap turning to orient yourself, as long as you have room to move your arms. You can even play something like Echo Arena seated. A good one to check out thats made to be played seated is "I Expect You to Die", which is a sort of james bond escape room thing where you're having to escape from death traps or disable something.

If you don't really have room to even move your arms around, theres some decent games out there that can be played with a gamepad/joystick/wheel. I honestly don't know what the player base of eve valkyrie is like, but they opened the game up to non VR as well, so I imagine it might be slighter larger than it was otherwise? Not sure.

You could check out elite dangerous if you haven't played that before, the experience varies from person to person, the combat is generally fun, but theres a lot of bone headed design decisions. Still, you'll probably at least get your moneys worth of hours from it before getting bored.

Theres some decent gamepad games out there as well, though mostly on the oculus store so you'll have to use revive. Check out Lucky's Tale (its free), for a competent straightforward sort of mario clone, that I think is pretty fun. Chronos is sort of dark soulsesq action RPG from a 3rd person perspective. Its a good 10+ hours, quite beautiful and fun. Edge of Nowhere is a stealth/platformer horror game thats basically straight out of a few different Lovecraft stories, really loved this one.

As far as racing games go, I honestly can't say much as the only driving game I've really played to any extent is ETS/ATS, bother of which are really fun in VR, but if you like racing, theres quite a few games.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Would anyone be willing to test Blue Monday for me? I needs lots and lots of feed back.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Overload is out today. Anyone have any reaction to the VR aspect?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's literally descent, but in VR. If that sounds like a fun thing, go for it imo. It's a nice and fairly polished game.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

ChickenWing posted:

What's good for non-roomscale?

House of the Dying Sun and Thumper would be my immediate recommendations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Dirt rally is really good, but you need to run revive to use it in wmr.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

As a user with a very large roomscale space I'd say most everything is good for non-roomscale. Pretty much everything uses locomotion, and almost everything handles snap turning as well. If you can reach in all directions you're probably good for most games. There are some games that you explicitly need a lot of room like Xortex 26XX from the lab, Holopoint, and some other games but most things can be played fine with very little space.

I recently played a couple of hours of Battlezone, and it's neat although short, shallow, and expensive. Skyrim might work well for you, besides Eve:Valkyrie what kind of games do you have interest in?

I'd suggest Beat Saber (as would most others) but stay away from Soundboxing since you need space (unless you want to change the scale).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick100 posted:

As a user with a very large roomscale space I'd say most everything is good for non-roomscale. Pretty much everything uses locomotion, and almost everything handles snap turning as well. If you can reach in all directions you're probably good for most games. There are some games that you explicitly need a lot of room like Xortex 26XX from the lab, Holopoint, and some other games but most things can be played fine with very little space.

I recently played a couple of hours of Battlezone, and it's neat although short, shallow, and expensive. Skyrim might work well for you, besides Eve:Valkyrie what kind of games do you have interest in?

I'd suggest Beat Saber (as would most others) but stay away from Soundboxing since you need space (unless you want to change the scale).

If you can fudge the boundary limits, most roomscale games are playable because they'll still have teleportation or trackpad/thumbstick-sliding. The only ones where you might run into trouble are the Owlchemy Lab games (Job Simulator and Rick and Morty), because they don't have any movement aside from walking around in the roomspace and they take full advantage of the area.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Flaggy posted:

Would anyone be willing to test Blue Monday for me? I needs lots and lots of feed back.
I'm interested (I actually like the song too) but I won't be able to play VR for another day or two at least because my play area is currently being used as a staging area for my friend that's moving in.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you can fudge the boundary limits, most roomscale games are playable because they'll still have teleportation or trackpad/thumbstick-sliding.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say. I have a 4m*4m space and hardly ever even take more than a step except for a few games with dodging mechanics like SPT, Holopoint, or Xortex 26XX, Soundboxing, Swordmaster VR. These games have fallen out of favor once we found out stick locomotion was acceptable for a large % of people. Even new music games don't require a large playspace (BoxVR/Beatsaber). Beatsaber is going to make a bucketload of money when it gets on PSVR (assuming they are trying).

If you have 1.5m*1.5m you can play pretty much anything, stuff you can't (assuming you buy on Steam or Oculus store) just refund. Large playspaces are rare and games that require them are extremely rare.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 31, 2018

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Stick100 posted:

Beatsaber is going to make a bucketload of money when it gets on PSVR (assuming they are trying).
Beatsaber's going to be great on PSVR for about a week until people get tired of the 10 launch songs. Hopefully, they're working on additional songs for that version because the mod community is like 90% of the appeal of the game.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Beatsaber's going to be great on PSVR for about a week until people get tired of the 10 launch songs. Hopefully, they're working on additional songs for that version because the mod community is like 90% of the appeal of the game.

Maybe they can let people sideload. Just allow people to add the music and a metafile. I'm sure it's a copyright nightmare but maybe they'll get around it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Maybe they can let people sideload. Just allow people to add the music and a metafile. I'm sure it's a copyright nightmare but maybe they'll get around it.

There is no way Sony will be on board with that, they like to keep things locked-down to avoid the PS4 getting cracked. Bethesda's console modding stuff is severely limited on PS4 compared to Xbone, You can't make mods with any new assets, only use content that shipped with the game.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Sony also has financial interest in ensuring some of their music doesn't end up on the system by way of mods for a rhythm game

It'd be pretty cool if they did allow for it, but that's not likely.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I got 30+ pages behind, so apologies if I missed some discussion on this: I need a pair of poles to stick Vive lighthouses on. They need to satisfy the following requirements:

(1) Either have the mounts to attach a Vive lighthouse, or have the ability to add said mounts after the fact
(2) Be at least two meters tall
(3) Be a tripod base, rather than some sort of compression system
(4) Have a carrying case that actually holds the poles and doesn’t let them fall out of the open ends of the bag
(5) Have a means of tightening the joints that doesn’t permanently deform the rods in order to get a tight fit
(6) Be available on Amazon, or Amazon.co.jp

Points (4) and (5) seem like they should be obvious, but here I am in need of a new pair of tripod mounts. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Why do they need to be 2 meters tall? That's crazy.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

I got 30+ pages behind, so apologies if I missed some discussion on this: I need a pair of poles to stick Vive lighthouses on. They need to satisfy the following requirements:

(1) Either have the mounts to attach a Vive lighthouse, or have the ability to add said mounts after the fact
(4) Have a carrying case that actually holds the poles and doesn’t let them fall out of the open ends of the bag
(5) Have a means of tightening the joints that doesn’t permanently deform the rods in order to get a tight fit

Points (4) and (5) seem like they should be obvious, but here I am in need of a new pair of tripod mounts. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

This is a good set: Fovitec - 2 x 7'6" VR Gaming Lighthouse Mount Stand Kit - [HTC Vive and Oculus Rift Compatible][Adjustable Ball Heads][Includes Carrying Bag] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFG14ZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZjkeBbDN8MRBT

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
My impression was that lighthouses work best when they are above the play area completely. Is that wrong? I’m a tall dude (6’3”-4”), and so I assumed the lighthouses needed to be higher than my head level. I’m happy to strike that requirement if it isn’t needed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mostly you just want them to be high enough to be able to see each other without obstruction. They don't have to be, if they can't optically sync you can just plug them into each other with the wire. It is better for them to be higher so your hands don't obstruct the sensors on the HMD though.

Also if you're using tripods make sure they're pretty stable cause the vibration will cause tracking swim.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Grundulum posted:

Just get some lighting stands, there are countless available, and they're all going to have a standard 3/4" mount that will fit the lighthouses (or oculus sensors if anyone else out there is also looking for something).

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Alumi...ng+tripod+stand

https://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-ALS-...ng+tripod+stand

https://www.amazon.com/Cushioned-Ad...ng+tripod+stand

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

nickhimself posted:

old hits and pop songs will translate well to Beat Saber because they generally have really catchy beats and/or rhythm sections

I'd play Blue Monday

They need to implement a way to get rid of the sound of the blocks being cut or at least change it because it sounds really out of place in other genres.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

Mostly you just want them to be high enough to be able to see each other without obstruction. They don't have to be, if they can't optically sync you can just plug them into each other with the wire. It is better for them to be higher so your hands don't obstruct the sensors on the HMD though.

Also if you're using tripods make sure they're pretty stable cause the vibration will cause tracking swim.

Even then you don't have to worry TOO hard about placement. One of mine sits on a fireplace mantle at shoulder-level and the other is on a bookcase about 1-2m outside my designated playspace in the opposite corner. Never lost tracking unless I actively tried to shove them under a table at the edge of the playspace or something similar.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I love how quickly the mod community has come up with insane tweaks for Beat Saber. The devs can pretty much just sit back from now on and let other people invent awesome additions to the game. In addition to 800+ custom songs, there are other saber designs, color changes, and even a full camera/avatar system for recording your playthroughs without a greenscreen.

Here's an example of a song I just played today with those mods. Took me maybe 15 min to set up and record with OBS (free software), so it's crazy how simple this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJyFNT1J3s

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Manky posted:

This is a good set: Fovitec - 2 x 7'6" VR Gaming Lighthouse Mount Stand Kit - [HTC Vive and Oculus Rift Compatible][Adjustable Ball Heads][Includes Carrying Bag] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFG14ZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZjkeBbDN8MRBT

I can also vouch for this set. They work great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:Ausgoons:siren:

If you're waiting for a cheap price for a Vive Headset, go to the Microsoft Australia eBay store listing here, and use the code PGADGET at checkout to knock the price down to a relatively-decent $700AUD.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I bought this WMR refurb for $150: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CSFYJKD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc

So far it's working great and I have no complaints. I wanted to dip my toe into VR without spending much so this was a perfect option.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

homeless snail posted:

IDK if they work on WMR, I'm guessing they do, via SteamVR you can do the same thing with Virtual Desktop or OVRDrop. With VD you can go into your SteamVR dashboard and drag one of the monitors out into space and put it wherever you want.

what the gently caress why didn't anyone tell me that about virtual desktop

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

ChickenWing posted:

Elite is amazing, but you need a Hotas to play it in VR

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Elite's simultaneously great and lovely in VR. Flying is amazing, but plotting routes and taking the headset off to look at one of the million websites required to play the game effectively are really bad, as is doing stuff like flipping the mission board over and over.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Angrymog posted:

Elite is amazing, but you need a Hotas to play it in VR
I play with an Xbone controller and it's great, they have the default control scheme thought out quite well honestly (just map a button to recenter the HMD).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Gort posted:

Elite's simultaneously great and lovely in VR. Flying is amazing, but plotting routes and taking the headset off to look at one of the million websites required to play the game effectively are really bad, as is doing stuff like flipping the mission board over and over.

This is when dash really comes in handy. Having a couple reference sites pinned around your cockpit along with discord and netflix makes it almost like you're not even doing boring stuff with a box on your head :v:.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tom Guycot posted:

This is when dash really comes in handy. Having a couple reference sites pinned around your cockpit along with discord and netflix makes it almost like you're not even doing boring stuff with a box on your head :v:.

Did they ever get a good way to type destination system names into the navigation interface? I always ended up squinting at my keyboard at the tiny bit of real-world visible down by my nose when I played on Rift.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Arrath posted:

Are there any Beatsaber song repositories besides Beatsaver?

I'm gonna do that internet thing where I complain about the people who actually do things not doing the things I want: There's no Tenacious D songs up on Beatsaver. :mad:

There are some really, really good custom songs though, goddamn. I finally got through Sandstorm the other day. :buddy: Beat Saber rules.

Gangnam Style is really, really well done. Honestly.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Gort posted:

Did they ever get a good way to type destination system names into the navigation interface? I always ended up squinting at my keyboard at the tiny bit of real-world visible down by my nose when I played on Rift.

I use a hotas for the game but I have an Xbox one pad with the chat-pad attachment and pick that up and touch type with it for typing systems in to the galaxy map.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If you're more of a metalhead with a bad back which is the better choice between Beat Saber and BoxVR for VR exercise?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Verizian posted:

If you're more of a metalhead with a bad back which is the better choice between Beat Saber and BoxVR for VR exercise?

BoxVR can take any song from youtube and generate a reasonably good beatmap from it

That said if you're doing the motions "correctly" (read: like proper boxing motions) you're recruiting the hell out of your back and core for anything but the most basic offhand jab, sooooo :shrug:

I'd lean toward Beat Saber, it's more freeform below Expert/lovely customs and you might be able to better avoid motions that tweak your spine, but I don't think you can do custom music yet without waiting for someone to make a beatmap for that particular song (and we all know how skilled people are at making beatmaps...)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I noticed that Pimax put out an update yesterday claiming they shipped the release candidates to the selected testers, also they show some typical Chinese Factory shots and show a pic of the eye tracking module. I'm not a backer but it's good to see they're still cranking away. I certainly don't want the Vive Pro to go unchallenged for the next year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimax8kvr/pimax-the-worlds-first-8k-vr-headset/posts/2201316

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zero VGS posted:

I noticed that Pimax put out an update yesterday claiming they shipped the release candidates to the selected testers, also they show some typical Chinese Factory shots and show a pic of the eye tracking module. I'm not a backer but it's good to see they're still cranking away. I certainly don't want the Vive Pro to go unchallenged for the next year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimax8kvr/pimax-the-worlds-first-8k-vr-headset/posts/2201316

The Vive Pro isn't a consumer product. It has challengers in the professional space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

The Vive Pro isn't a consumer product. It has challengers in the professional space.

Let's not be naive, who do you honestly think has bought more Pros so far, professionals or consumers? Next you'll be telling me the DK2 was a development kit, lol

PiMax can have just as much appeal in the pro space assuming they don't completely botch it. Maybe much more if the eye tracking works by some miracle. I recently got the Tobii eye tracker and that thing is impressively accurate so who knows.