Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Every element of this recipe stinks.

The bizarro world good version will be Wallace’s Auztralia.

But really what I’d want to see is Eklund’s take on a Cthulhu game. The Eklund rants would fit well next to Lovecraft’s rants!

Radioactive Toy posted:

Is Colonial Twilight the new go-to first COIN game if I'd mainly be playing 2 player? Sendt like reviews are positive.

Yes, definitely. Playing with bots sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Radioactive Toy posted:

Is Colonial Twilight the new go-to first COIN game if I'd mainly be playing 2 player? Sendt like reviews are positive.

People here have been very positive on it. I want to try it at Gencon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

In fact I want to reskin it for Star Wars because it blows rebellion away like the Death Star to Alderaan.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

S.J. posted:

Stuffed Fables or Mice and Mystics?

Both of these games are super tedious. For the amount of work I had to do to run them, I'd rather have done an actual RPG or something. Going from Gloomhaven to m&m would be brutal.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

jmzero posted:

Both of these games are super tedious. For the amount of work I had to do to run them, I'd rather have done an actual RPG or something. Going from Gloomhaven to m&m would be brutal.

I'll agree on M&M, I remember it being kind of exciting at the beginning, probably mostly from novelty, but it quickly becomes tedious and repetitive in a way that overcomes the charm pretty quickly.

That's disappointing to hear Stuffed Fables is similar, though. A friend of mine has been sitting on a copy of it for a while now and he's dying to try it, I hope we can make it reasonably fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Every element of this recipe stinks.

Nah. With the exception of Rob Daviau, whose "creative forces" extend so far as taking someone else's already completed game and bolting on a legacy campaign, all of the above have produced at least one good game.

What guarantees it's going to stink on ice is that it's a minis-based CMON game by Eric Lang. This guarantees a slew of untested add-ons which back scuttle the gameplay.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Chill la Chill posted:

The bizarro world good version will be Wallace’s Auztralia.

I've played Auztralia.

It's not very good.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

jmzero posted:

Ugh, that’s one of the problems we’ve had with gloomhaven. It’s not bad when you have 2-3 players doing the upkeep, but playing with my son involves me doing most of the upkeep as well as helping him narrow down his options each turn. It’s great fun, but I’m looking for something that takes less effort.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

146 games on our top 200 are more than 5 years old. Cult of the new get hosed.

Or most goons haven't updated their ratings in five years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well the guild is only three years old and the overall list has plenty of new games that are just lower than 200. I think it’s a pretty fair assessment that we aren’t nearly as easily impressed by shiny new stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

When the thread gets impressed by something new, it really gets impressed. See Gloomhaven, Colonial Twilight, food chain magnate from the past few years.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bottom Liner posted:

Well the guild is only three years old and the overall list has plenty of new games that are just lower than 200. I think it’s a pretty fair assessment that we aren’t nearly as easily impressed by shiny new stuff.

At this point I am down right suspicious of new stuff. I will let others spend their cash on the cult of the new and wait for the dust to settle on if a game lives up to the hype or not.

Chill la Chill posted:

When the thread gets impressed by something new, it really gets impressed. See Gloomhaven, Colonial Twilight, food chain magnate from the past few years.

I'm not even impressed by Gloomhaven. I can buy lots and lots of RPG source books for $150. I fail to see the massive appeal of Gloomhaven.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Fuckkkk I've been reading about Falling Sky and how much people love it and it's killing me now.

Also, where is my dominant species reprint dammit??

For the Azul players out there: when did you switch over your boards to the blank side? My GF and I have been doing that lately and it's almost a totally different game. All the freedom in the world... to screw yourself over. But in general the points are much higher. I've considered trying to do a rush to the end type strategy where my opponent(s) get five rounds unless somehow I'm prevented from grabbing that fifth colour I need.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm not even impressed by Gloomhaven. I can buy lots and lots of RPG source books for $150. I fail to see the massive appeal of Gloomhaven.
It’s not an RPG. If that’s the comparison, I totally agree. I’ll take the skeletons, dread, and the orc stabby game any day. The appeal is the hand management of mage knight and MMO carrots without nearly as much sticks nor grinding.

The End posted:

I've played Auztralia.

It's not very good.
That’s a shame. I’ll tell my friend then, thanks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Indolent Bastard posted:

At this point I am down right suspicious of new stuff. I will let others spend their cash on the cult of the new and wait for the dust to settle on if a game lives up to the hype or not.

Does not require a GM, does not require actual creativity in storytelling/roleplaying, has a fantastic combat system, and those three things make it far more accessible than most RPGs for most people!

Like, D&D fails on all three counts. Most indie RPGs fail at the GM part, and those that don't fail really hard on the "needing creativity" part.

Gloomhaven not being appealing to you does not mean you need to ignore why it's appealing to lots of people.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My main complaint with Gloomhaven is that it has become exhausting to set up and tear down. Secondary to that is that our momentum for the game went away after one of our players moved.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CommonShore posted:

My main complaint with Gloomhaven is that it has become exhausting to set up and tear down. Secondary to that is that our momentum for the game went away after one of our players moved.

The set up/take down is hurdle. And god forbid people help with the latter because then you end up with poo poo mixed up and not in their proper places and arghhhh

Turtlicious posted:

Clank is amazing, what else is like that?

Forgot to mention that Road to El Dorado is really good I think and plays quite fast. Underrated.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 31, 2018

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Does not require a GM, does not require actual creativity in storytelling/roleplaying, has a fantastic combat system, and those three things make it far more accessible than most RPGs for most people!

Like, D&D fails on all three counts. Most indie RPGs fail at the GM part, and those that don't fail really hard on the "needing creativity" part.

Gloomhaven not being appealing to you does not mean you need to ignore why it's appealing to lots of people.

I'm not ignoring why it appeals to others, but until I read your post I didn't know why, so thanks for that. I'm not making GBS threads on GH. But hearing people talk about it, it really just sounded like an RPG to me, so I didn't comprehend the appeal (especially when you factor in the price).

Also, D&D fails on so many levels. It's a real shame that it is the flagship system for most people getting into RPGs.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Boxman posted:

Pandemic Iberia isn’t very good, right? it’s only $16 at MM, and we don’t have any version of Pandemic in the House, but would I be better off just picking up vanilla?

I think Iberia is pretty good, provided you already like Pandemic - I prefer it to base because you are rewarded for planning more and building up infrastructure, as opposed to regular Pandemic which is more purely reacting to events.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

We did this just a few months ago with Spirit Island, a fine game I bounced pretty hard off of and would definitely not recommend spending $100 black market.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm not ignoring why it appeals to others, but until I read your post I didn't know why, so thanks for that. I'm not making GBS threads on GH. But hearing people talk about it, it really just sounded like an RPG to me, so I didn't comprehend the appeal (especially when you factor in the price).

Also, D&D fails on so many levels. It's a real shame that it is the flagship system for most people getting into RPGs.

Cool. Sorry for being a little on the aggressive side, it had sounded like you knew why but were dismissing the reasons. My bad!

And yeah, it really isn't an RPG, it's more like Heroquest (board game not glorantha), Descent, dungeon crawlers with no RPG aspect except for flavor.

And completely agreed on D&D. It's just...bad. My wife was playing 5th ed and the entire time was like...why can't we be using gloomhaven for combat and movement?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Since I know you guys’ taste more than the general rpg crowd: how are the newer RPG systems, specifically Starfinder and FFG’s Genesys? Those are the two that have caught my eye but I haven’t played since D&D 4th.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Bottom Liner posted:

Since I know you guys’ taste more than the general rpg crowd: how are the newer RPG systems, specifically Starfinder and FFG’s Genesys? Those are the two that have caught my eye but I haven’t played since D&D 4th.

I think the chat thread has generally been pretty down on both?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Bottom Liner posted:

They're bad. Starfinder is just trash (a space reskin of pathfinder), genesys is a lot of crunch to do exactly same thing a much leaner narrative system would.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bottom Liner posted:

Genesys is their Star Wars system with a couple changes and the licensing serial numbers filed off. Check out any discussion about the Star Wars system and strip away the Star Wars brand and you'll get a pretty good idea of how Genesys works.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gloomhaven's an RPG in the same way that Diablo, Dark Souls and Baldur's Gate are, just not on computer / console.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Bottom Liner posted:

Isn't Starfinder a reskin of the current version of Pathfinder, which would make it D&D 3.5.5.2.1?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I will be the first to admit that D&D is a terrible system, but it's also the only one I ever manage to actually get to the table (short of one-offs like Fiasco, Dread, and the occasional short Fate thing). I really wish there was a better option for combat but generally my players are creative and engaged enough that the systems become sort of secondary anyway. Plus I can always manage to get new players to pick up and read the necessary parts of the Players Handbook, but can never get anybody interested in literally any other long-term campaign setting or system. Every long Fate campaign I've tried to do has been like pulling teeth. I may have lucked out and convinced the group to try Trail of Cthulhu or something similar though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Gloomhaven's an RPG in the same way that Diablo, Dark Souls and Baldur's Gate are, just not on computer / console.

Looking more closely I will agree. Though silvergoose's comment of "has a fantastic combat system" is still a bit confusing. Fantastic compared to other fighty board games maybe, compared to better RPG systems... I just watched a GH how to play video and combat looks finikey compared to what I'm used to in RPGs (not D&D).

MockingQuantum posted:

I will be the first to admit that D&D is a terrible system, but it's also the only one I ever manage to actually get to the table (short of one-offs like Fiasco, Dread, and the occasional short Fate thing). I really wish there was a better option for combat but generally my players are creative and engaged enough that the systems become sort of secondary anyway. Plus I can always manage to get new players to pick up and read the necessary parts of the Players Handbook, but can never get anybody interested in literally any other long-term campaign setting or system. Every long Fate campaign I've tried to do has been like pulling teeth. I may have lucked out and convinced the group to try Trail of Cthulhu or something similar though.

I've had luck with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd ed). Same general look and feel of a generic D&D campaign. Simple combat rules and I personally appreciate the focus on low fantasy elements and the fact that combat gets deadly quickly which gets players to think about their actions rather than charge in swords drawn knowing that the cleric or a few potions will bail them out if they get cut to pieces. Having player characters that are all but actual hobos with poor skills and crappy gear stops them from becoming the typical murder-hobos of D&D.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Star finder is pathfinder in space and genesys is the generic version of Star Wars RPG. Now I like the way you interpret results in Star Wars RPG but for some people there’s too much deus ex machina coming out of boxes. If you want to see something truly hilarious, look at the pathfinder purists eating their own wrt the change to 2.0

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Looking more closely I will agree. Though silvergoose's comment of "has a fantastic combat system" is still a bit confusing. Fantastic compared to other fighty board games maybe, compared to better RPG systems... I just watched a GH how to play video and combat looks finikey compared to what I'm used to in RPGs (not D&D).

Considering how much I love Gloomhaven's system, I'd be interested in being pointed to good RPG combat systems for comparison.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Any opinions on 878 Vikings? SUSD was super positive and I liked what I saw, but I don’t really trust Quinn’s reviews anymore.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

OmegaGoo posted:

Considering how much I love Gloomhaven's system, I'd be interested in being pointed to good RPG combat systems for comparison.

Same. I've never heard of, much less played, a tabletop RPG system that had combat that was even remotely as deep or interesting as GH.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

OmegaGoo posted:

silvergoose posted:

Same. I've never heard of, much less played, a tabletop RPG system that had combat that was even remotely as deep or interesting as GH.

It's likely an artifact of my not having played GH. I'm not harping on it, just that at first blush the combat system seems clunky. It's entirely possible that once I try it it will "click" and I will like it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

It's likely an artifact of my not having played GH. I'm not harping on it, just that at first blush the combat system seems clunky. It's entirely possible that once I try it it will "click" and I will like it.

No worries. It does play very smoothly.

But also I've never seen a tabletop RPG system with combat I would say is remotely good. Have you?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

I would put Gloomhaven up against any RPG with a tactical system. RPG combat is pretty varied but it generally falls into three camps: simulationist tactical where maps and positioning are necessary (D&D 4E), narrative based where combat isn't really different from any other challenge (FATE), and simulationist abstract where a map isn't necessary but there's definitely a distinction between what you can do as a character and what you can do when trying to kill someone (World of Darkness).

If I were to give the elevator pitch for Gloomhaven it's D&D 4E without dice and once you run out of your per encounter abilities you fall asleep. You're playing powers, which are either discarded or removed from the game, and you get the discard back by resting which removes a card from the game. If you can't play two cards on your turn, that's it you're done. It's a built in clock, a necessary feature in a co-op game, and keeps the pacing flowing as everyone loses cards at a different rate. For example the wizard analog burns their cards rapidly but has a way to get them back; they're a glass cannon, doing high damage but are usually the first ones exhausted.

Instead of a die you have a deck with cards ranging from -2 to +2 with a bunch of zeroes and a miss/crit bundled in. The deck can be customized by powers and class abilities so you might have "+1 heal, draw again" or "remove three +0" trimming your deck but making it swingier. This customization is the one thing Gloomhaven has that no other RPG really does. It's like being able to change the faces on your d20. It removes the feel bad of rolling low while allowing room for cheap and easy modifiers that don't just add numbers (which is always boring in RPGs), they completely change how your character interacts with the board.

That is why Gloomhaven is celebrated. Not just as a "I want to play an RPG without a Dungeon Master and prepared module" but "this is a really loving good tactical game ontop of everything else."

Crackbone posted:

Any opinions on 878 Vikings? SUSD was super positive and I liked what I saw, but I don’t really trust Quinn’s reviews anymore.

It's Academy Games' best system in that series. It fixes a lot of issues regarding retreating and the asymmetrical gameplay makes it far more interesting. If you like any of their Birth of a Nation games, 878 is the absolute best. That said, the components feel super cheap and I wish it had cubes. I'm not even a mini hater, I just think the plastic pieces feel like cheap Risk pieces.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

D&D 4e, where the math and balance was done well and people found out that woops unlike 3.5 you can’t just BS make up any encounter since you didn’t have a 5-min workday wizard that bails you out if you don’t balance it correctly.

Oh crap al beat me to it

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

And this is somehow, like, a point of pride or something?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Merauder posted:

Yes? Shiny new stuff that isn't deep is something to be avoided since it is a money sink and a time sink as opposed to playing the games you already have more than once or twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Merauder posted:

I would trust the old game/music/movie that’s had a decade or more of analysis than the new stuff any day. For every Colonial Twilight there are 5-10 more KDMs and 7th continents. And yes I got CT a few months after reviews started rolling in and I’m part of the cult of the new on that, but I’ll call myself lucky to have chosen a good one. Otherwise, the guys on discord know I’ve been mostly sticking to getting the solid classics collection finished this past year or so

It’s also not a big secret that board games can’t get quite as much playtesting as video games ever could, so seeing what holds up under hundreds of plays takes years to get data.