Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

lol that an automobile exception to fundamental constitutional rights exists in the first place

the magical rights-negating field generated as a byproduct of the internal combustion engine legitimizes this fishing expedition to find a reason to jail you

The automobile exception is because its on a public roadway, no? Hence why it isn't applicable here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

what about the 2nd amendment :smugdog:

he literally wrote a concurrence to mcdonald v city of chicago saying "you guys are right that the 2nd applies to states, but not under due process incorporation"

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

hobbesmaster posted:

The automobile exception is because its on a public roadway, no? Hence why it isn't applicable here.

How is that distinct from, say, walking on a public sidewalk?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

hobbesmaster posted:

The first reason for the exception was because of the flight risk. The second reason was because of the pervasive and ongoing regulation of vehicles on public roadways.

Mr. Nice! posted:

he literally wrote a concurrence to mcdonald v city of chicago saying "you guys are right that the 2nd applies to states, but not under due process incorporation"

Privileges and Immunities!?!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Clarence Thomas hates due process incorporation. He may agree federal rights apply to states, but he'll dig until he finds a way to do it while decrying due process as some boogeyman.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I actually agree that substantive due process is kind of a nutty concept that should instead be mostly resolved through interpreting the privileges and immunities clause, though there is the quirk that the P&I clause only applies to citizens. It's one of those things where it so obviously should be the law but I don't think it actually is the law. It's just that the Supreme Court quickly neutered that clause and nobody felt like overturning it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ulmont posted:

The first reason for the exception was because of the flight risk. The second reason was because of the pervasive and ongoing regulation of vehicles on public roadways.

Privileges and Immunities!?!

Gotta love it when a guy on the highest court in the country spends time to bitch about abortion and gay rights in a gun decision case. Thomas cannot sign onto any decision that would provide any ideological support for Roe v Wade.

quote:

Using the latter approach, the Court has determined that the Due Process Clause applies rights against the States that are not mentioned in the Constitution at all, even without seriously arguing that the Clause was originally understood to protect such rights. See, e.g., Lochner v. New York, 198 U. S. 45 (1905); Roe v. Wade, 410 U. S. 113 (1973); Lawrence, supra.
All of this is a legal fiction.

At least he's a better writer than Gorsuch so it isn't too bad to read through his opinions. They start out reasonable like "yeah, it makes sense that would support this right without any "due process"" work and then he goes all off the rails on abortion and gay rights.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Thomas is probably correct re: privileges and immunities being the proper method for incorporation instead of due process, but that decision was made so long ago and there is so much built on it, that its too late to reverse it, and we pretty much get the same result anyway, so why bother. Except Thomas literally doesn't believe in stare decisis and he gives no fucks about overturning landmark 100-year decisions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rigel posted:

Thomas is probably correct re: privileges and immunities being the proper method for incorporation instead of due process, but that decision was made so long ago and there is so much built on it, that its too late to reverse it, and we pretty much get the same result anyway, so why bother. Except Thomas literally doesn't believe in stare decisis and he gives no fucks about overturning landmark 100-year decisions.

He's all about reversing roe, lawrence, etc.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zoran posted:

How is that distinct from, say, walking on a public sidewalk?

My understanding is that it only applies to obvious violations. A cop can't (in theory) stop you just to search your vehicle because you're on an open road, there needs to be a reason for them to stop you first. Same with walking on a sidewalk; they need a reason to stop you before they can search your pockets. In reality, a bored cop can come up with any number of bullshit excuses, as demonstrated most publicly by NYCPD.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So what's up with the Hays case? "The writ of certiorari is dismissed as improvidently granted."

I though SCOTUS could take up any case for any reason, or no reason if they wanted?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rigel posted:

I'm still praying that his response to the Muslim ban thing is that actually Chy Lung v Freeman in 1876 was wrongly decided because immigration authority belongs to the states, not the federal government

not least because it means the Muslim ban would likely be stone dead

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's all about reversing roe, lawrence, etc.

Clarence Thomas is the justice LEAST likely to make decisions based on ideology rather than his crazy rear end judicial philosophy

you're mistaking the symptoms ("states should be able to ban abortion") with the disease ("states should be able to do pretty much everything they want, including banning abortion or interracial marriage")

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

Jesus, Sam. Could you be just a little less fascist?

Alito's most reliable characteristic before the SC was being so in favor of increased police and prosecutorial power that it made police and prosecutors a little queasy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I don't know what document Samuel "I am the Law" Alito is reading from.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So what's up with the Hays case? "The writ of certiorari is dismissed as improvidently granted."

I though SCOTUS could take up any case for any reason, or no reason if they wanted?

They changed their mind about taking it.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think this kind of misses the point. He was arguing for privileges and immunities incorporation, which is my most accounts a stronger hook to enforces federal rights against the states. In this case, he wasn't arguing that the 4th amendment doesn't apply to states, just that the federal courts couldn't impose the exclusionary rule on the states as the remedy. Collins presumably could have sued under 42 USC 1983 from prison. That case would have been dismissed on qualified immunity grounds because searches of vehicles in curtilage wasn't a "well established" violation, but that's presumably a feature not a bug.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KernelSlanders posted:

I think this kind of misses the point. He was arguing for privileges and immunities incorporation, which is my most accounts a stronger hook to enforces federal rights against the states. In this case, he wasn't arguing that the 4th amendment doesn't apply to states, just that the federal courts couldn't impose the exclusionary rule on the states as the remedy. Collins presumably could have sued under 42 USC 1983 from prison. That case would have been dismissed on qualified immunity grounds because searches of vehicles in curtilage wasn't a "well established" violation, but that's presumably a feature not a bug.

He argues for priv & immunities incorporation or some other justification in every concurrence with an opinion that uses due process he signs. It's because he wants to overturn basically all due process jurisprudence and hints heavily at it in every concurrence while he bitches about roe v wade and lawrence v texas. He isn't very subtle about it. For example, he spends the majority of his concurrence in mcdonald discussing things that have nothing to do with the 2nd amendment or the case at hand.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

KernelSlanders posted:

That case would have been dismissed on qualified immunity grounds because searches of vehicles in curtilage wasn't a "well established" violation, but that's presumably a feature not a bug.

On that note, has SCOTUS/any other court described how any violation can be "well established" when any not yet well established violation will simply be dismissed due to qualified immunity, or are we stuck with the current list of violations for all eternity?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

scaevola posted:

On that note, has SCOTUS/any other court described how any violation can be "well established" when any not yet well established violation will simply be dismissed due to qualified immunity, or are we stuck with the current list of violations for all eternity?

A dismissal due to qualified immunity can still clarify the violation, I believe.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

scaevola posted:

For a while a court had to decide - after kicking something out on qualified immunity grounds - if the act in question was in fact unconstitutional. Relatively recently the Supreme Court said “nah, it’s ok, you can kick without deciding if the act was constitutional nor not.” The flaw in this approach has been widely noted, and occasionally lower courts will still clarify constitutionality just to avoid the problem.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Google petition for en banc rehearing:

quote:

Based on my professional judgment, I believe the panel decisions are contrary to at least the following decisions: Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, 510 U.S. 569 (1994); Harper & Row Publishers v. Nation Enters., 471 U.S. 539 (1985); Sony Computer Entm’t v. Connectix Corp., 203 F.3d 596 (9th Cir. 2000); Lotus Dev. Corp. v. Borland Int’l, 49 F.3d 807 (1st Cir. 1995), aff’d by an equally divided court, 516 U.S. 233 (1996); Sega Enters. v. Accolade, 977 F.2d 1510 (9th Cir. 1992).
https://cdn.patentlyo.com/media/2018/05/Oracle-Am.-v.-Google-LLC-Rehearing-Petition.pdf

Also, the last 3 weeks of June are going to be a SCOTUS shitshow.

https://twitter.com/GregStohr/status/1002219359820025856

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ulmont posted:

https://cdn.patentlyo.com/media/2018/05/Oracle-Am.-v.-Google-LLC-Rehearing-Petition.pdf

And the extra fun part is the will he or won't he speculating about Kennedy retiring once the term is over!

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

ulmont posted:

Last year there were 23 full opinions and 5 per curiam decisions in June, with only Monday as opinion days the first two weeks. So I guess it's somewhat comparable, even though it feels like all the blockbusters are waiting this year. (I guess they always are.)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

And the extra fun part is the will he or won't he speculating about Kennedy retiring once the term is over!

I honestly think if Kennedy retires it'll be the end of the Republic.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ulmont posted:

Google v Oracle is still happening? Just gently caress off already, both of them

Ugh

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

axeil posted:

I honestly think if Kennedy retires it'll be the end of the Republic.

If Kennedy retires we're getting another Gorsuch, or worse, and you can say goodbye to Woe v. Wade within 1-2 years tops as well as SSM and a whole lot of other things that those regressive fuckstains have wanted to get rid of for a long time but couldn't solely due to Kennedy not being pure evil.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Kennedy retires we're getting another Gorsuch, or worse, and you can say goodbye to Woe v. Wade within 1-2 years tops as well as SSM and a whole lot of other things that those regressive fuckstains have wanted to get rid of for a long time but couldn't solely due to Kennedy not being pure evil.

my last ditch hope would be Trump loving it up and/or appointing his almost worryingly decent sister

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
SCOTUS Thread 2018: Woe vs. Wade

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I hope to hell that the Democrats take the Senate in November, because I really fear we're going to lose Kennedy and Bader-Ginsburg before 2020.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Farchanter posted:

I hope to hell that the Democrats take the Senate in November, because I really fear we're going to lose Kennedy and Bader-Ginsburg before 2020.

Ginsberg seems fine despite the constant fear everyone has of her unexpected death due to age. Scalia did to, but there's really nothing to be gained stressing oneself on that question. Kennedy is way more of a worry because the decision to leave would be his choice, so we're left constantly questioning what might be influencing that choice at any given moment, especially when we're just months away from a midterm election that could at least theoretically stop the court-packing machine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
SSM has reached more than 66% support in America. The Democrat strategists would be overjoyed if the SC made it politically relevant again.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Torrannor posted:

SSM has reached more than 66% support in America. The Democrat strategists would be overjoyed if the SC made it politically relevant again.

Not that it'll matter when they refuse to do anything about future Justice William Pryor declaring gays illegal and school prayer mandatory.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sanguinia posted:

Ginsberg seems fine despite the constant fear everyone has of her unexpected death due to age. Scalia did to, but there's really nothing to be gained stressing oneself on that question. Kennedy is way more of a worry because the decision to leave would be his choice, so we're left constantly questioning what might be influencing that choice at any given moment, especially when we're just months away from a midterm election that could at least theoretically stop the court-packing machine.

Yeah the issue is after Kennedy there are no conservative justices likely to die/resign (because Thomas was a baby when he was appointed he's the same age as Alito).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ulmont hasn't rolled through yet with his wonderful summaries, but a handful of decisions dropped today including the colorado baker penned by kennedy in a 7-2 that baking a wedding cake is a specific artistic expression and he cannot be forced to create one for a gay wedding if he has a religious objection to it.

edit wrong lineup

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 4, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ulmont hasn't rolled through yet with his wonderful summaries, but a handful of decisions dropped today including the colorado baker penned by kennedy in a 5-4 that baking a wedding cake is a specific artistic expression and he cannot be forced to create one for a gay wedding if he has a religious objection to it.

Goddamnit. I got through the bankruptcy and (one of the) sentencing ones and was ready to post, but didn't realize there were still two more to go.

EDIT: gently caress, that's a lineup.

KENNEDY, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS,
C. J., and BREYER, ALITO, KAGAN, and GORSUCH, JJ., joined. KAGAN, J.,
filed a concurring opinion, in which BREYER, J., joined. GORSUCH, J.,
filed a concurring opinion, in which ALITO, J., joined. THOMAS, J., filed
an opinion concurring in part and concurring in the judgment, in which
GORSUCH, J., joined. GINSBURG, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which
SOTOMAYOR, J., joined.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 4, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ulmont hasn't rolled through yet with his wonderful summaries, but a handful of decisions dropped today including the colorado baker penned by kennedy in a 5-4 that baking a wedding cake is a specific artistic expression and he cannot be forced to create one for a gay wedding if he has a religious objection to it.

7-2 because the colorado comission were a bunch of meanies.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/16-111_j4el.pdf

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was 7-2, not 5-4.

quote:

KENNEDY, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS,
C. J., and BREYER, ALITO, KAGAN, and GORSUCH, JJ., joined. KAGAN, J.,
filed a concurring opinion, in which BREYER, J., joined. GORSUCH, J.,
filed a concurring opinion, in which ALITO, J., joined. THOMAS, J., filed
an opinion concurring in part and concurring in the judgment, in which
GORSUCH, J., joined. GINSBURG, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which
SOTOMAYOR, J., joined

e. fb

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

the decision is a punt: the court ruled that it was mean to call the baker a worthless bigot masquerading his bigotry as religion, although that was factually correct, and said you can't do that. but kennedy specifically refused to endorse the broader principle sought (or reject it) that the baker had a right to refuse to bake the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My gut reaction is this extremely stupid and the Supreme Court is a clown show.

I look forward to dedicated analysis as to why or why not that is the case.