Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sergio's last plans for FCA: Jeep and Ram become FCA's main brands worldwide, Fiat gets pulled from US and China, and an Alfa/Maserati merger is on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hahaha holy poo poo Wheeee do you also go by The Sicilian by chance?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Is it too late for a couple sausage egg mc muffins and 2 hashbrowns? *Farts*

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Only if you're in that piece of poo poo Car X.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I am in fact in my shameless consumer product.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah but are you betraying your identification with it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Godzilla07 posted:

Sergio's last plans for FCA: Jeep and Ram become FCA's main brands worldwide, Fiat gets pulled from US and China, and an Alfa/Maserati merger is on the table.

Ahh hahahaha dang, dang forever. No more Fiat in the USA, again. Still have the Renegade I guess :toot:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'll have you know I push my Scion to the limits every day and I'll be damned if i let some womens drive it

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Wheeee posted:

Yea that's the point thanks

But just imagine if GM actually brought a large LSx powered sedan with a manual transmission, comfortable interior, and subdued styling to the market how well it would sell!

Lol CUVs are so lame what idiot would buy those they don't even handle well when a magazine driver is pushing 8/10ths in a manner that I'll never even attempt on the street!

I wouldn’t say I was mad everybody rejected the SS, just dumbfounded. GM built the car Internet forums said they wanted and nobody bought it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

davebo posted:

My version of the mythical brown wagon was a brightly colored fast RWD auto wagon that wasn't an expensive luxury car, and the car industry saw fit to finally give me almost exactly that with a liftback instead of a wagon. Dreams do come true if you complain enough on the internet for decades.

The market for a non-luxury fast RWD Auto Wagon consists of approximately 47 people, 12 of which are on this forum.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Frond posted:

GM built the car Internet forums said they wanted and nobody bought it.
some sick and twisted current generation impala fanboy forum by the look of it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Based on the conversations in various AI threads over the last several days, I've determined that the Focus RS is a terribly boring car that sounds exactly like a Pagani and will cause hearing damage if you drive it through a neighborhood at night. Also, can I get a Big Mac, a 3 pc chicken McNuggets, and a large rootbeer?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Frond posted:

I wouldn’t say I was mad everybody rejected the SS, just dumbfounded. GM built the car Internet forums said they wanted and nobody bought it.

No manual first 2 model years, V8 only made 415 hp when it was making 420-460 in other Chevy’s, $50,000, looks boring, knees too pointy

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Ahh hahahaha dang, dang forever. No more Fiat in the USA, again. Still have the Renegade I guess :toot:

The article also taught me that Chrysler literally only makes two vehicles anymore: the 300 and the Pacifica. Oh and that one of Fiat’s two cars, the 500, hasn’t had a significant upgrade in more than a decade. :stare:

I knew things were bad there but holy poo poo just mercy kill the brands, commit to update or just kill the 500, roll the Pacifica under something else and make the 300 a trim package for Dodge or something. They’re burning money just marketing different brands.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

No manual first 2 model years, V8 only made 415 hp when it was making 420-460 in other Chevy’s, $50,000, looks boring, knees too pointy

I don't see why it cost so much. My dad looked at a G8 and went with a Cadillac CTS 'cause it was cheaper and way nicer. It seemed like an amazing car but not at that price. Maybe at 30-35k.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If only the SS would have held on long enough for Trump to enter office. Then it wouldn't have had to worry about competition.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/31/trump-reportedly-poised-to-ban-german-luxury-carmakers-in-the-us.html

quote:

Trump reportedly told French President Emmanuel Macron last month that he would maintain his trade policy with the aim of stopping Mercedes-Benz models from driving down Fifth Avenue in New York.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

If only the SS would have held on long enough for Trump to enter office. Then it wouldn't have had to worry about competition.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/31/trump-reportedly-poised-to-ban-german-luxury-carmakers-in-the-us.html

If the president bans German cars, what manufacturers fill the gap? People aren't going to buy Cadillacs instead.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

Focusing on heap and dirge even more in the US seems like a good idea, actually. FCA might not be a laughingstock in a few years here.

Thought the Alfa push a year or two ago was weird. Remember there was an Alfa Superbowl ad and everything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

If the president bans German cars, what manufacturers fill the gap? People aren't going to buy Cadillacs instead.

This is a matter of national security! You sound like a subversive.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ripoff posted:

The article also taught me that Chrysler literally only makes two vehicles anymore: the 300 and the the Pacifica.
I love it when people realize this :allears:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Whose lovely parachute account is Wheee anyway?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Remember the Chrysler Aspen? Lmao. What a mismanaged brand

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the problem with the SS is you were literally insane to spend more than $40k new on any GM car that isnt a Corvette

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/390009-trump-to-impose-total-ban-on-luxury-german-cars-report

quote:

President Trump wants to impose a total ban on the imports of German luxury cars, according to a new report from CNBC and German magazine WirtschaftsWoche.

Several U.S. and European diplomats told the news outlets that Trump told French President Emmanuel Macron about his plans last month during a state visit.

Trump reportedly told Macron that he would maintain the ban until no Mercedes-Benz cars are seen on Fifth Avenue in New York.

Shares of Daimler, Porsche and Volkswagen were lower on Thursday, shortly after the weekly German business magazine published the report.

The Hill has reached out to the White House for comment.

The report comes a week after Trump ordered Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to investigate auto tariffs and probe whether car imports are a danger to national security. A similar national security argument was used when Trump placed steep tariffs on aluminum and steel imports in March.

Trump and congressional Republicans are preparing to clash over the proposed tariffs, which could be as high as 25 percent.

A number of German automakers have plants in the U.S., including Mercedes-Benz in Alabama and BMW in South Carolina.

I can't imagine this will actually happen, but it'd be really hilarious if it does. I wonder if it would include those made in the US.

edit: beaten

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 31, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So... I guess it's a good time to buy up some Porsches, Mercedes, and BMW's. Those used prices are going to soar when you can't buy new anymore.

I would have expected something like the luxury tax that was introduced into BC but targeted to imports if you were dead set on propping up domestic luxury brands, but an outright ban just seems needlessly over the top.

What a strange world we live in now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CornHolio posted:

I wonder if it would include those made in the US.

You know deep in your heart that he has no concept of that at all. Not that it matters if he did. This has nothing to do with trade policy and everything to do with being slighted by the German leadership. Every time he sees a German car he thinks of Angela Merkel and gets filled with white hot rage.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

French cars! Prez Trump loves Macron so much he'll ban the Germans to make it easier for PSA to reenter the US market.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Focusing on heap and dirge even more in the US seems like a good idea, actually. FCA might not be a laughingstock in a few years here.

Thought the Alfa push a year or two ago was weird. Remember there was an Alfa Superbowl ad and everything.

"Straight fam."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktHO4cgqa3A

Giulia/Stelvio volumes seem similar to JLR products in those respective segments, so they seem alright.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Incidentally, consumers haven't seen the impact of those steel and aluminum tariffs yet, but you will.

My company is a volume consumer of steel, producing components for the automotive industry. Our steel costs went from around $.35/lb to more than $.60/lb as soon as the announcement was made.

This may be good for American steel mills, but it's bad for American manufacturing (especially the automotive industry) and American consumers.

Edit: Some quick and dirty math based on our cost increases (which may not be representative of the industry) shows that this could cost US manufacturing ~$6 billion this year, and that's just steel.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 31, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Wow, look at this M5's super exciting styling. I sure wouldn't mistake it for a run of the mill 525i;

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Frond posted:

GM threw the internet fanbois a bone by dressing up a car destined for the gallows as an obligation to the Aussies. What GM really wanted is for those same fanbois to either buy a Silverado or Corvette.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I thought we were done arguing about the demise of rwd domestics, sedans/ family 4drs, commodore SS, the australian car industry and all that poo poo back in 2015?
Suck it up, you lost that to germany. Go build trucks and coupes until you lose that to japan; SE asia is already lost. :v: 'murica

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 31, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Frond posted:

Wow, look at this M5's super exciting styling. I sure wouldn't mistake it for a run of the mill 525i;

What's your point? Why do you think a 30 year old BMW is relevant to anything

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fo3 posted:

I thought we were done arguing about the demise of rwd domestics, sedans/ family 4drs, commodore SS, the australian car industry and all that poo poo back in 2015?
Suck it up, you lost that to germany. Go build trucks and coupes until you lose that to japan; SE asia is already lost. :v: 'murica

America will always have the minivan. :colbert:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
GM gave you a decently styled sleeper (like the earlier M5s, such as the E28 I posted.)You turned around and said it looked boring and not distinctive enough. They also gave you a reasonably priced big LS powered sedan. You then were angry it wasn’t priced like an Impala. I personally think the market for hi-po non luxury sedans is non-existent and internet enthusiasts are retards with unrealistic expectations. Most people who said they wanted the SS probably were better served by the Camaro.

There is no winning with you people.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

Who could have seen that coming.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Wistful of Dollars posted:

America will always have the minivan. :colbert:
You never had it except as the object of derision and ending up as the chrysler joke.
Seriously I know you had the mazda 5 and the honda odyssey. But go ask renault, toyota, mazda, nissan and mitsubishi. All the ones you probably didn't even get due to chicken tax, but those ones were that main ones that the rest of the world has.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 31, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Frond posted:

I personally think the market for hi-po non luxury sedans is non-existent and internet enthusiasts are retards with unrealistic expectations.

I not only think you are wrong but I think it's a largely untapped market. The desire for used performance luxury cars like M5s is an example, and I think a lot of people would be willing to sacrifice the quality of the leather and the rain-sensing wipers for a warranty.

Dodge sells a ton of hi-po non-luxury sedans. Seems every other car I see on the road is a Charger. What is the competition against a RWD, V8 sedan at the 30-35k price point?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CornHolio posted:

I not only think you are wrong but I think it's a largely untapped market. The desire for used performance luxury cars like M5s is an example, and I think a lot of people would be willing to sacrifice the quality of the leather and the rain-sensing wipers for a warranty.

Dodge sells a ton of hi-po non-luxury sedans. Seems every other car I see on the road is a Charger. What is the competition against a RWD, V8 sedan at the 30-35k price point?

Those are pretty much all V6's though.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

opengl128 posted:

True, but that's how a car like that has to be sold. Just like the Camaro and Mustang.

There may be more V6 Chargers out there but there are plenty being sold with the hemi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

opengl128 posted:

A Dodge Charger R/T with the V8 starts at $35,495 according to their website. And the cheaper V6s still make over 300hp, though they're heavy as poo poo and that's merely 'adequate' at that point.

Although a G8 GT originally MSRP'd at $31,555 in '09 which with inflation is about $37,500 so that's really not that far off... an Impala starts at $28k these days, about what a V6 Charger starts at. I think it's time for a new Impala SS :getin:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 31, 2018