Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
do game designers know that there are more stories in the Public Domain than Lovecraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

CommaToes posted:

do game designers know that there are more stories in the Public Domain than Lovecraft?

As a game consumer, there are?!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

CommaToes posted:

Yeah, there's also zombies.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CommaToes posted:

Of course they do! There's also Sherlock Holmes.

And this, I suppose: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/145308/marrying-mr-darcy

Joking aside, though, Lovecraft stuff sells well unless the game is absolute trash. Even then sometimes it'll sell well. I think that train will keep rolling for a few years yet.

I want more board games based on The Water Margin though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CommaToes posted:

It's not necessarily about public domain, it's more about branding. People know about zombies and Cthulu, not so much about your four headed space pig that you named your game after.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Countblanc posted:

For the people asking about RPG systems with good combat, maybe check out Strike!. I'm on my phone so I can't link my thread, but it should be active in the last 3 pages or so. It's heavily inspired by 4e with some things streamlined (less dice rolling, primarily) and a cool class system.

Full disclosure, I worked on the game but people in this thread have generally recommended it and it's been very successful with any board game people I've shown it to irl

I will second this also, although I’ve only read through the system. Strike has some really great mechanics/ideas for streamlined tactical combat and skill checks, and it’s setting neutral which I like a lot.

Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758699

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FulsomFrank posted:

Forgot to mention that Road to El Dorado is really good I think and plays quite fast. Underrated.

Yeah, it's a very good "deckbuild + a map" game if that particular angle of Clank appealed to you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to be the median voice in the "cult of the new" argument because I think the games released in the past 8 years have been a great leap over most games released from 2000 - 2009. The audience has grown large enough that designers can make the pinheaded niche releases that would've floundered a decade ago. People who lament the death of the classic family Euro point to Lacerda and new Rosenberg as an over complication of design, but really Lacerda is just channeling titles from two decades ago like Die Macher which is far and away more involved than even the cubiest of cube pushing games.

Basically modern board gaming is akin to the indie revolution of video games. There's a lot of bloated crap gaining attention (I can't wait for Battle Royale fad to die) but it shows the varied taste of a huge audience. Board games of the mid-aughts were like the Xbox 360 era where everything played it safe. We needed the Demon Souls of board games to show us the way... and that game was Napoleon's Triumph :getin:

MockingQuantum posted:

You can be the first person to buy my mahjong trick taking game Hoshi no Unmei. I'm just deliberating if I want to take it to Kickstarter so I can get pewter miniatures of all 108 stars.

Chill la Chill posted:

Also sidereal Confluence straight up beats Chinatown.

The worst opinion in this drat thread :colbert:

WSDV is definitely good.

Tekopo posted:

Nothing has yet to beat Caylus in terms of a WP game though.

Give me Keyflower any day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

I dunno, back in 1983 when I entered this hobby all there was mechanics wise was Diplomacy and Civilization.

Not true! There was also Dungeon!, Cosmic Encounter, Nuclear War and Magic Realm.

Also I just found out I've been gaming even longer than you have, which is scary.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

You can be the first person to buy my mahjong trick taking game Hoshi no Unmei. I'm just deliberating if I want to take it to Kickstarter so I can get pewter miniatures of all 108 stars.

mahjong trick taking game

Yeeeah about that...

Nah I kid, nothing wrong with trick taking in my book, though tbh very few trick taking games have interested me or surprised me recently.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

Not true! There was also Dungeon!, Cosmic Encounter, Nuclear War and Magic Realm.

Also I just found out I've been gaming even longer than you have, which is scary.

Dungeon! was amazing for uhhhh however old I was when I was playing it.

Looking back on it, holy poo poo what an awful game.

also for some reason I thought you were, like, young. Dunno why, honestly.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Crackbone posted:

Any opinions on 878 Vikings? SUSD was super positive and I liked what I saw, but I don’t really trust Quinn’s reviews anymore.

They were right on the money. It's a cracker of a light war game. Don't play it with less than 4 though. The team play is the special sauce and without it, the fuzziness can be aggravating.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

Don't forget the great FFG predecessor, the original Ameritrash: Axis & Allies

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ I didn't realise that was as old as 1981.

silvergoose posted:

Dungeon! was amazing for uhhhh however old I was when I was playing it.

Looking back on it, holy poo poo what an awful game.

also for some reason I thought you were, like, young. Dunno why, honestly.

Depends how you define "young", I suppose. I've been gaming since I was a kid, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

^^^ I didn't realise that was as old as 1981.

Depends how you define "young", I suppose. I've been gaming since I was a kid, though.

Young is, as it is for everyone, "younger than me". I have too! I played AH civ for my birthday parties and still enjoyed dungeon! at the same time, basically my tastes were "I'll play anything".

It was just a shock seeing you say you were gaming the year before I was born, is all. :v:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I was not alive when Axis and Allies was released and still played it at my birthday parties like 17 years later, which at the time made me a very special species of nerd

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeeeah about that...

Nah I kid, nothing wrong with trick taking in my book, though tbh very few trick taking games have interested me or surprised me recently.

Play The Fox in the Forest. I had no strong opinions about trick taking but it changed my view entirely. I also recommend Illimat which is... it just has to be seen.

Trick taking is probably the wrong wording here because you don't actually take any tiles. Instead you play your hand into different "fields" to score points. Like you want to sew flowers in the farms with their correct seasons, play magistrates in the court to influence the emperor, and battlefields score the most points but have restrictions on the suits that can be played e.g. marshland don't allow cavalry.

The important thing is I need to find an artist who is good at tracing over other people's work and a British voice actor to do a vaguely Chinese accent in my video.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

For me, I got more burned out by my weekly group never wanting to play old games because they were all buying new stuff constantly sight unseen (I was guilty of this too at the time, playing at CSI game nights makes it entirely too easy to fall into that trap). I realized after a while I would rather play games I knew I liked rather than constantly learn new stuff that mostly turned out to be garbage. Now I am on the opposite end where I want to play everything in my collection until I'm sick of it or at least feel pretty competent with it. One of the guys from that group is close to 2000 games now, but I don't often game with them anymore.
Same here. We used to meet at a friend's place that had a massive (walls of 3 rooms) collection of various titles, a ton of those was random KS poo poo she backed. After playing the game of "let's decide what game that doesn't really interest me we'll be learning, it's a waste to leave them unplayed after all" for the n-th time I decided I'd rather be playing Agricola or some other tried, tested and good title than another random shiny. At least I got over Kickstarters on someone else's money :v:

MockingQuantum posted:

Wait... MORE games? Gimme your list!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Wait... MORE games? Gimme your list!

MockingQuantum posted:

I want more any board games based on The Water Margin though.

ftfm

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

al-azad posted:

I want to be the median voice in the "cult of the new" argument because I think the games released in the past 8 years have been a great leap over most games released from 2000 - 2009. The audience has grown large enough that designers can make the pinheaded niche releases that would've floundered a decade ago. People who lament the death of the classic family Euro point to Lacerda and new Rosenberg as an over complication of design, but really Lacerda is just channeling titles from two decades ago like Die Macher which is far and away more involved than even the cubiest of cube pushing games.

Basically modern board gaming is akin to the indie revolution of video games. There's a lot of bloated crap gaining attention (I can't wait for Battle Royale fad to die) but it shows the varied taste of a huge audience. Board games of the mid-aughts were like the Xbox 360 era where everything played it safe. We needed the Demon Souls of board games to show us the way... and that game was Napoleon's Triumph :getin:

The worst opinion in this drat thread :colbert:

WSDV is definitely good.

Give me Keyflower any day.
Keyflower is a bidding game :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It’s neat to see the overlap between the goon list and the HC list: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1991286/heavy-cardboard-guild-top-50-may-2018-edition

TOP 50
Rank +/- Name #Rtgs +/- Avg Rtg +/-
1 (0). Gaia Project 239 +126) 8.727 (-0.035)
2 (+2). Food Chain Magnate 768 (+69) 8.681 (+0.001)
3 (0). Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization 560 (+63) 8.672 (-0.061)
4 (-2). Gloomhaven 421 (+124) 8.577 (-0.174)
5 (+1). Indonesia 379 (+38) 8.451 (-0.042)
6 (new). Agricola (Revised Edition) 140 8.443
7 (+5). 1889: History of Shikoku Railways 140 (+20) 8.433 (+0.020)
8 (-3). Puerto Rico Deluxe 110 (+3) 8.418 (-0.077)
9 (-2). Vinhos Deluxe Edition 251 (+35) 8.413 (-0.065)
10 (+1). Arkwright 298 (+25) 8.411 (-0.007)
11 (+2). Age of Steam 447 (+36) 8.411 (+0.001)
12 (+4). 1846: The Race for the Midwest 288 (+40) 8.400 (+0.020)
13 (-4). Brass: Lancashire 610 (+46) 8.399 (-0.021)
14 (+1). The Great Zimbabwe 394 (+39) 8.393 (+0.011)
15 (+2). Pax Renaissance 185 (+34) 8.387 (+0.009)
16 (-2). Twilight Struggle 903 (+65) 8.373 (-0.019)
17 (+1). Three Kingdoms Redux 181 (+17) 8.347 (-0.012)
18 (+1). Lisboa 369 (+76) 8.293 (-0.051)
19 (+2). Antiquity 284 (+58) 8.292 (+0.049)
20 (-10). Spirit Island 225 (+97) 8.256 (-0.163)
21 (-1). Roads & Boats 298 (+13) 8.254 (+0.002)
22 (0). 1830: Railways & Robber Barons 316 (+34) 8.246 (+0.018)
23 (+2). Concordia 914 (+95) 8.217 (+0.006)
24 (+6). Orléans: Deluxe Edition 147 (+8) 8.211 (+0.028)
25 (+3). Great Western Trail 733 (+88) 8.209 (+0.004)
26 (-2). Terra Mystica 1002 (+61) 8.203 (-0.018)
27 (+4). Le Havre 849 (+66) 8.188 (+0.013)
28 (-1). Fields of Arle 416 (+36) 8.188 (-0.018)
29 (-6). Keyflower 869 (+69) 8.188 (-0.036)
30 (-1). Agricola 1156 (+78) 8.176 (-0.017)
31 (-5). War of the Ring (Second Edition) 236 (+21) 8.140 (-0.071)
32 (0). Dominant Species 707 (+44) 8.139 (+0.009)
33 (0). Madeira 400 (+29) 8.136 (+0.009)
34 (0). The Gallerist 547 (+56) 8.126 (+0.000)
35 (new). Kanban: Driver's Edition 402 8.067
36 (+1). Maria 141 (+14) 8.065 (+0.002)
37 (+3). Power Grid Deluxe: Europe/North America 130 (+7) 8.062 (+0.006)
38 (-2). Terraforming Mars 897 (+120) 8.051 (-0.024)
39 (-1). Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 719 (+69) 8.038 (-0.024)
40 (+3). The Castles of Burgundy 1168 (+91) 8.035 (+0.011)
41 (0). Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization 493 (+27) 8.019 (-0.026)
42 (new). The 7th Continent 139 8.018
43 (-8). Clans of Caledonia 352 (+98) 8.009 (-0.104)
44 (-2). Tramways 242 (+25) 7.998 (-0.032)
45 (0). Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan 238 (+14) 7.992 (-0.010)
46 (0). A Feast for Odin 477 (+57) 7.986 (-0.010)
47 (new). Wildcatters 106 7.980
48 (new). Orléans 692 7.972
49 (-2). Die Macher 238 (+12) 7.967 (-0.013)
50 (0). Mombasa 514 (+50) 7.948 (-0.010)

I just saw TFM and 7th continent here, wtf

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 31, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I’ve heard wildly varying thoughts on Gaia, but very few if any saying it’s flat out better than TM. Surprised to see it so high on any large list. Im personally holding out on that new Terra Mystica expansion that adds all new races not compatible with the originals. It sounds like an upgrade to a second edition more than a typical expansion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Keyflower is a bidding game :colbert:

Keyflower elevator pitch: what if in Caylus everyone built their own castle and deniers are also workers? Sister, break out your watercolors!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 31, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Who is rating Vinhos as better than The Gallerist or Lisboa, and why?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Young is, as it is for everyone, "younger than me". I have too! I played AH civ for my birthday parties and still enjoyed dungeon! at the same time, basically my tastes were "I'll play anything".

It was just a shock seeing you say you were gaming the year before I was born, is all. :v:

I'm glad I'm a little younger, so I got to grow up playing good games, like Tornado Rex, Battle Masters, and Keys to the Kingdom.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Minotaur, it will steal your rope! Or was it the scorpion...?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

lol I have a copy of this and play it with my nephews

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bottom Liner posted:

I’ve heard wildly varying thoughts on Gaia, but very few if any saying it’s flat out better than TM. Surprised to see it so high on any large list. Im personally holding out on that new Terra Mystica expansion that adds all new races not compatible with the originals. It sounds like an upgrade to a second edition more than a typical expansion.

I've heard nothing but unambiguous praise and regard that it's absolutely better than TM from both online and real life sources. I could understand saying it's equal, but are you hearing people saying it's not as good?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

The Heavy Cardboard guy recently said he doesn't see himself ever playing TM over GP.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I probably would have got a copy of GP if I hadn't read in here that the components were not that good. When someone tells me they fixed that issue (or that someone has made replacement pieces for a reasonable price) I'll drop the dough.

That or some wicked sale.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

FulsomFrank posted:

I probably would have got a copy of GP if I hadn't read in here that the components were not that good. When someone tells me they fixed that issue (or that someone has made replacement pieces for a reasonable price) I'll drop the dough.

The components aren't bad it's just not the pure wooden awesomeness of Terra Mystica

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

The aesthetics of the plastic buildings are the only thing that’s bad. Components are fine since the artwork lends itself to an 80s plastic feel. The issue with warping was iirc due to packing conditions vs people receiving it in the middle of winter.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
What was this thread's opinion on Import/Export? My buddy got to play Glory to Rome a couple of weeks ago and went bananas over it and is going to make his own copy but I was looking at I/E as an alternative in the meantime.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

FulsomFrank posted:

What was this thread's opinion on Import/Export? My buddy got to play Glory to Rome a couple of weeks ago and went bananas over it and is going to make his own copy but I was looking at I/E as an alternative in the meantime.

Wasn't Mottainai supposed to be a Glory to Rome-esque game?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Megasabin posted:

I've heard nothing but unambiguous praise and regard that it's absolutely better than TM from both online and real life sources. I could understand saying it's equal, but are you hearing people saying it's not as good?

Heck I had a really sour experience playing my first/only game of GP and even I'm pretty sure that it's better than TM.

Also the rulebook is a little poor in some areas, but whatever.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mottainai is GTR v2, but has less bonkers cards. I/E is GTR+RFTG+ some basic kind of economy. In my group, I/E has obsoleted innovation, Mottainai, and RFTG. We keep race around for 2P because I/E is terrible at that count but otherwise the neat bidding and economy (with the ability to crash it via piracy) is great.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Indolent Bastard posted:

Wasn't Mottainai supposed to be a Glory to Rome-esque game?

Mottainai and GtR are very similar and I think I’m one of the few people that will say Mottainai is better, though my experience is almost all 2P. GtR seemed great at first but I played too many games where one player would get a “broken” combo of card powers and the game would spiral out of control for a handful of turns after they had effectively already won. Mottainai is mostly the same game but has more manageable cards and ends quickly (sometimes too quickly).

Food Truck Champion is also very close mechanically. It’s 95% GtR except with the special powers removed entirely. I thought that would be fun but in practice it gets too repetitive. It doesn’t escalate at all. The decisions look the same throughout the game.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

We keep race around for 2P because I/E is terrible at that count

I’m glad you said this because now I don’t have to worry about missing out on I/E.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah I love Mottainai as well. Like Race for the Galaxy with a front heavy learning curve but then plays very quickly (like 5-10 minutes for 2p) for how many interesting cards and choices you’ll see in a game. I really want try I/E but we mostly play games like that at two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The reason why I/E is terrible at two is probably why RFTG uses two sets of action cards for 2. You need a minimum number of actions to carry out the necessary steps to load and retrieve boats. Otherwise, the dominant strategy seems to end up being whoever can slam supply the most often since it’s a natural timer to end the game. I might try it with RFTG’s double actions at 2 and see if it plays better.