Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

Telling people who joined the army not to be dumbasses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Is there any documents that I should make sure are squared away outside of dd214 when getting out? I've already ran into an issue with registering for education benefits for graduate school as they only have me listed as two years completed. Really don't want to trust the random NCO that was thrown in the S1.

Looks like my ERB hasn't been updated since AIT.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Medical records

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Stopped saying squared away

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Your dd214 is pulled from your erb so that's a good start. Go to the doctor and complain about all that poo poo you keep putting off because you're a big strong army boy too

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

Stopped saying squared away

This man knows how to live.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cyks posted:

Is there any documents that I should make sure are squared away outside of dd214 when getting out? I've already ran into an issue with registering for education benefits for graduate school as they only have me listed as two years completed. Really don't want to trust the random NCO that was thrown in the S1.

Looks like my ERB hasn't been updated since AIT.

Go see your personnel clerk about getting your ERB corrected (print it out and mark whatever the wrong stuff is first).

Also, go see the army doctor about whatever is wrong with you RIGHT loving NOW. Get it documented. The VA would love to deny you benefits in 10 years when your knees quit working.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I've seen enough horror stories on these forums about disabilities not to have jumped on that. I can already tell back problems is going to be a lifelong gift.

I meant more of paperwork from my unit as this will be my last drill. I have copies of my CIF turn in and the 214 looks pretty compete minus a few AAMs/JSAMs that are whatever. Not sure why ERB is so much different if the 214 is compiled from it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Are you sure you don’t wanna re-enlist

This is your last chance

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cyks posted:

I've seen enough horror stories on these forums about disabilities not to have jumped on that. I can already tell back problems is going to be a lifelong gift.

I meant more of paperwork from my unit as this will be my last drill. I have copies of my CIF turn in and the 214 looks pretty compete minus a few AAMs/JSAMs that are whatever. Not sure why ERB is so much different if the 214 is compiled from it.

The data on the ERB is pulled from several different databases. If something on the ERB is jacked up it means it's jacked up somewhere else in the system.

Also, get a copy of your iPerms file. Print it out even.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

spacetoaster posted:

The data on the ERB is pulled from several different databases. If something on the ERB is jacked up it means it's jacked up somewhere else in the system.

Also, get a copy of your iPerms file. Print it out even.

Definitely iPerms. I never actually got my DD214 until I pulled it manually from iPerms like 5 months after I got out.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
When I downloaded all my paperwork off iPerms, I discovered I spent eight months as my battalion CBRN NCO

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
many actual BN CBRN NCOs contribute as much as you did in your tenure

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

McNally posted:

When I downloaded all my paperwork off iPerms, I discovered I spent eight months as my battalion CBRN NCO

mods change my name posted:

lmao

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mods change my name posted:

Had I known, though, I'd have taken the orders and asked for a lateral to corporal so I could have at least gotten out of police calls and poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNally posted:

I was a brigade surgeon for a couple of months. :colbert:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I might be biased but I feel like S4 has way more going on than S1, S2 or S6 yet they have so many more people.

And they just took my assistant up to S3

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Depending on your unit the 4 shop almost always has something going on, one way or the other.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

I might be biased but I feel like S4 has way more going on than S1, S2 or S6 yet they have so many more people.

And they just took my assistant up to S3

It depends, but as Vasudus said, S4 always has stuff going on, even if S2 or S6 often face insane surges where the art isn't getting it all done, it's getting the right things done just enough.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

When I got my Army transcript, it said I had spent time as a DS.
I barely passed Basic.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Arguably between the 2/3/4/6 shops, I would say the 4 probably has the best civilian prospects too. Yes yes, there's the entire intelligence community for 2, or certain parts of IT if you're the right flavor of 6-shop, but goddamn every-loving-organization needs logistics people. Big, small, international mega-conglomerate.

Ops always comes in last when translating over, unless you want to do literally the same thing possibly for the same group as a contractor or civ.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

All of my primary staff peers are post CCC Captains and it irritates me that their slides are stuff like "here's the pace plan" or "generic Soviet enemy" and going home early while I'm figuring out the logistics of moving and sustaining a BNs personnel and equipment.

it's just me and my NCOIC, I don't have an entire section to work on stuff

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

Arguably between the 2/3/4/6 shops, I would say the 4 probably has the best civilian prospects too. Yes yes, there's the entire intelligence community for 2, or certain parts of IT if you're the right flavor of 6-shop, but goddamn every-loving-organization needs logistics people. Big, small, international mega-conglomerate.

Ops always comes in last when translating over, unless you want to do literally the same thing possibly for the same group as a contractor or civ.

I'm going to plug 42 series officer (S1/G1) jobs here. HR is a massive moneymaker in the civilian world and many of the courses (officer basic, captains career course, senior human resources manager, etc) you take in the army are directly transferable to civilian HR certifications.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

I'm going to plug 42 series officer (S1/G1) jobs here. HR is a massive moneymaker in the civilian world and many of the courses (officer basic, captains career course, senior human resources manager, etc) you take in the army are directly transferable to civilian HR certifications.

While you're not wrong, ain't nobody gonna pay six figs for a HR goon. Well, maybe. But not nearly as readily as a logistics guy.

The guy that manages our org property book gets paid a stupid amount for his level of qualification.

edit: our 4 shop is 100% prior BN/BDE level logistics guys. Four prior enlisted, two officers. It's 4 CTRs and 2 CIV (GS14), with one civ being a prior E5 Marine and the other a CPT that was a BDE Assistant S4.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 1, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

While you're not wrong, ain't nobody gonna pay six figs for a HR goon. Well, maybe. But not nearly as readily as a logistics guy.

The guy that manages our org property book gets paid a stupid amount for his level of qualification.

Managing some of those warehouses overseas does seem like a pretty sweet gig.

Knew a col who got caught dipping his wang into some enlisted gals and immediately retired and went to kuwait as a civilian making massive bank.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
that's an occupational hazard when you're in staff tho

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

None of the women turned on him though. He actually just got caught in the act by un-involved people.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think it's a bit strange that the MTOE for maneuver BNs has the S1, S2 and S6 as CPTs that are AG, MI, and signal respectively but the S4 is supposed to be an IN or AR CPT but I've never seen anyone other than LTs fill the position. So not only does our branch have nothing to do with logistics we're also a rank below what the MTOE has the position as.

It's just frustrating that the S4 shop is leaned on the hardest by the S3 and XO while the more experienced staff primary CPTs play games on their phones and bother me with mundane bullshit like "my printer is out of ink, we need to order more!", "my shredder is broken, its needs to be fixed!" or the OPS SGM or CSM bitching about bathrooms being out of paper towels or that light bulbs are dead.

How about you lazy fucks walk your asses a quarter mile over to HHC and tell the supply room, holy poo poo I've got more important poo poo to deal with

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Or company XO's that can't fill out a form correctly while replying to one of my emails where I clearly and specifically spell out exactly what goes in each block and who to send it to

Company supply SGTs that fail to provide the correct documentation despite clear instructions on exactly what they're supposed to do

People that drop random paperwork on my desk when I'm gone without any context or talking to me about it like I'm a fortune teller that knows what the gently caress it's for

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

So not only does our branch have nothing to do with logistics

Trap sprung for old dead guy quote about logistics winning wars.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Air force COL lost her poo poo today because an old army man referred to ground troops as crunchies in an informal planning briefing.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I wonder if she has any loving idea how dudes in line units talk to each other

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

I wonder if she has any loving idea how dudes in line units talk to each other

It wasn't even used in an insulting way.

Her: "Excuse me, what is a crunchie?"
Him: "It's a non-tanker."
Her: "Why are you calling them crunchies?"
Him: "Because that's the sound they make when you run over them."
Her: ..............

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Tankers are tucked if we go to war with Russia. Those dudes have the tank Olympics.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Soulex posted:

Tankers are tucked if we go to war with Russia. Those dudes have the tank Olympics.

Everyone's hosed if we go to war with Russia. Well, those alive on the Day After anyway.

And let's face it, everyone on SA is more likely than not going to end up chained to the back of some mad biker's ride exchanging sexual favors for protection, if they are not eaten first.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Straight from nuclear war to mad max, i like it

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Okay, so I'm sure everyone is familiar with von Steuben, the dude who figured out how to get retards to march in a line and not sleep downhill of their own piss.

Probably slightly less known is that he was a flaming homosexual that used to have a few twinks in constant tow. Good for him. He was about a size 10 from getting kicked out of europe because of it though, that's why he came to the US.

And then I found a picture of his monument in D.C.

I'm not sure if this is the greatest burn, or triumph, or satire, what.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Soulex posted:

Russian tanker quality and tank quality is so-so at best. Whatever russians like to claim about the t-90 has to be taken with a ton of salt, and anything they claim about the Armata can just be laughed off.

Our biggest fear as tankers would be the state of our own fleet- I have been through 3 gunneries so far in this company and have yet to see a single table 3 through 6 where at least third of the crews werent hotbedding on someone elses tank because theirs was deadlined. I have not met a US tanker who has seen a company conduct a gunnery with each crew only using their own tank, and this includes the e6s and above who have been in way too long as enlisted.

Last NTC rotation our mechanics changed 6 power packs in ten-day MILES rotation. For one company. Let that sink in and imagine the needs for ABCT in actual combat.

M1a2 is horribly maintenance-heavy and If the logistics chain gets any hiccups in a real-world scenario the attrition is a matter of days even without enemy contact. There is a reason they actually equipped one of the recently converted ABCTs with m1a1s instead of m1a2s and considering m1a1 lacks a independent commanders viewer with designating capability its just sad.

And dont get me started on tracked vehicle mechanic training that TRADOC gives, a shaman with bone dice and Great Spirit can do about the same level of system troubleshooting as our maintenance team. About half of the wisdom our mechanics have is tribal knowledge passed on from other mechanics who learned it to work somewhere decade ago maybe. ”Throw parts and see If it sticks” is the first attempt followed by ”Oh well call the civilians”

Operation Useless Dirt has made a number on US armor, and the aftermath isnt pretty. ”But the units in high readiness”- one might ask- yea no. ”Fight tonight” that 2ID command likes to talk about in Korean Peninsula is a pipe dream at least for heavy armor.

It is a goddamn shame when tanker training and fleet of a small non-aligned nation with conscription beats living daylights out of the richest army in the world in terms of quality but as far as Armor goes US could ask some help from Finnish Defense Forces.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The only people I've seen that can outmatch the anger I have at the Bradley are the Abrams mechanics. I hate the bradley more than I hate the northstar v8 and that itself is almost off-the-scale.

I loving hate the northstar v8 so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

I think we're OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZLKkA4DuSM