Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Zore posted:

Giovanni as E4 is kinda :psyduck:

Also interesting that they ditched all of their planned E4 save Bruno who is apparently the permanent Kanto guy

I mean in a neo team rocket "DAD COME HOME WE MISS YOU" plot yeah it doesn't make sense but I kind of like the idea of Giovanni reforming after however long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The best part of this is going through the information that has been on the internet for almost two decades from old Fansites of people who said they went to the convention and saw stuff and seeing what is real and what is bullshit.
Someone lied about there being an Electabuzz evolution called Eleking in the demo and that information has literally been on the internet for almost 20 years.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Beta Suicune is pretty spooky looking. Something about the proportions+grudge hair.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zore posted:

Giovanni as E4 is kinda :psyduck:

Also interesting that they ditched all of their planned E4 save Bruno who is apparently the permanent Kanto guy

I wonder how Bruno keeps making the cut. E4 members come and go, but Bruno will always be there.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Going over the spreadsheet, I see quite a few mons that originally had different typings:

• Snubbull was pure Psychic
  • Houndour and Houndoom were pure Fire
  • Scizor was Bug/Flying
  • Delibird was Water/Ice
  • Bellossom was Grass/Poison
  • Umbreon was pure Poison
  • Unown was pure Normal
  • Girafarig was Normal/Dark
  • Sunflora was Grass/Psychic
  • Quagsire was pure Water
  • Qwilfish was pure Water
  • Hoothoot and Noctowl were pure Flying

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that lion thingy just before the lickitung-evo looking thing and also the lickitung-evo-thing and also all of them

also I wish there was a proto-wobbuffet but oh well

e: also slowbro's rear end the pokemon

e2: umbreon being poison is cool, now they have no excuses not to complete the set

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I would have liked Tangela a lot more.

Anchor Shark and Mandible Eel are also good

I guess the Shelldor won the fight for slowpoke's tail or maybe that's why you could buy them in GS

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oddium posted:

i wish iwata had crunched enough data down to add the baby meowth. and the cat hoppip

Really now that I know what could have been I have no choice but to curse his name

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oddium posted:

i wish iwata had crunched enough data down to add the baby meowth. and the cat hoppip

Just kick out some of the other Gen 2 Pokemon that weren't really interesting. Quilfish was definitely cuttable after its evolution was also cut. Idk where Dunsparce showed up in develpoment, but that one could have also not been needed.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Before and after:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

oh my gosh I just noticed the voodoo doll one :3:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Xelkelvos posted:

Just kick out some of the other Gen 2 Pokemon that weren't really interesting. Quilfish was definitely cuttable after its evolution was also cut. Idk where Dunsparce showed up in develpoment, but that one could have also not been needed.

Dunsparce has a weird little following but I don't think anyone would miss Qwilfish.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

also I would miss Qwilfish

e: oh there is a proto-wobb, I thought maybe that could be one if you looked at it with wobb in mind

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

McDragon posted:

oh my gosh I just noticed the voodoo doll one :3:

Fun fact: it evolves at every level starting from level 1 because it wants to stop suffering and you have to actively press B to keep it from evolving. Dang, Game Freak.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

McDragon posted:

I like that lion thingy just before the lickitung-evo looking thing

You mean Porygon2?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

McDragon posted:

oh there is a proto-wobb, I thought maybe that could be one if you looked at it with wobb in mind

That's actually the Girafarig pre-evo. But the artist theorized that it could eventually have inspired Wobbuffet's design.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

less laughter posted:

That's actually the Girafarig pre-evo. But the artist theorized that it could eventually have inspired Wobbuffet's design.

Oh that's neat, thanks for that. I guess they both have the weird tail which could be the actual creature thing going on.

e: this leak of old stuff is just as cool as a leak of new, it rules

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

less laughter posted:

I always thought it was strange how Wobbuffet and Girafarig had a similar 2nd head gimmick

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

less laughter posted:

Fun fact: it evolves at every level starting from level 1 because it wants to stop suffering and you have to actively press B to keep it from evolving. Dang, Game Freak.

Holy poo poo, you aren't making stuff up are you?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Dehry posted:

Misty was listed as an Elite Four trainer in the prototype. That kinda explains her more radical redesign in Jhoto. They wanted a more mature look as an elite trainer but then dumped her back into the Cerulean gym.

Giovanni, Bruno, Lorelei, Champion Lance for the others.

Also it's interesting the trainer sprites still used whips at the time.

I think this is just speculation based on the spreadsheet's layout and not necessarily the final plans. At the bottom, there's two additional Elite Four placeholders for a male and female trainer.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Electric Phantasm posted:

Holy poo poo, you aren't making stuff up are you?

No it's 100% real.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

It’s interesting how of the starters only Chikorita and its final form were finalized at the time. That proto-Bayleef is hilarious.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I love Cyndaquil, Quilava and Typhlosion as if they were my own children but firebear, especially the middle evo, is a true friend lost to time

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I legit wonder, given how much seemingly they've mined from this over the years, if its release is making them do any reevaluations of Gen 8 Pokes

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Of course the only quadruped Fire starter is the beta one.

Can't wait for the English patch, gonna play this game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

less laughter posted:

No it's 100% real.

Are they sure it's not just a level placeholder set at 1?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

less laughter posted:

No it's 100% real.

I wonder if there is some trade off or if Game Freak is being cruel. Might as well throw in a sidequest where you rescue one that has an everstone stuck to it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

that's definitely the sort of thing an edgy fan game would do but I don't believe you on this one :colbert:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would sell myself into slavery for beta murkrow to become a regional forme

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like the bellcat and a few of them are so silly it's fun to see. Dog with insane anime hair stands out for sure. Dynablade chicks are fun too.

Also why are people saying porygon 2 is the balloon animal thing? Makes me think of Castform more than porygon

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also why are people saying porygon 2 is the balloon animal thing?

Because its name is Porygon2 and it evolves from Porygon.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Xelkelvos posted:

Are they sure it's not just a level placeholder set at 1?

It's the only one that has an evolution at level 1; every other level-evolved 'mon has more normal numbers.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I will rescue babby grimer from purgatory, even if it costs me my life

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jarogue posted:

I would have liked Tangela a lot more.

we got loving cheated by not getting these designs

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like the bellcat and a few of them are so silly it's fun to see. Dog with insane anime hair stands out for sure. Dynablade chicks are fun too.

Also why are people saying porygon 2 is the balloon animal thing? Makes me think of Castform more than porygon

Because it’s Porygon2 in the data. Apparently it’s a donut mascot in Japan. People are thinking that they were going to make up for the fact that Porygon caused seizures by turning him into the donut mascot.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Beta Suicune:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

GonSmithe posted:

Because it’s Porygon2 in the data. Apparently it’s a donut mascot in Japan. People are thinking that they were going to make up for the fact that Porygon caused seizures by turning him into the donut mascot.

Pikachu caused the seizures, don’t do my man porygon wrong

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm theorizing that Game Freak leaked this, based on connecting the following three dots:

1. They pulled back the curtain on pokemon design in that interview and set of pictures just a few weeks ago
2. An anonymous user just so happened to have a demo that's been lost for 20 years
3. This has tickled my nostalgia enough to make me buy Crystal on VC

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I've always been incredibly curious about Pokémon concept art, betas, and scrapped designs, but very little of it ever came out. Between the four unveiled from Red and Green and this leak, there's finally a bonanza of new info! This helps explain some of the creative process. I wish the bell cats had made it in, but I'm glad they cut all these baby forms. It's also a very good thing that Raikou, Entei, and Suicune didn't turn out to be sparkledogs.

I think the most amusing thing from this leak is the fact that Sneasel once looked like an actual weasel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Eox posted:

I'm theorizing that Game Freak leaked this, based on connecting the following three dots:

1. They pulled back the curtain on pokemon design in that interview and set of pictures just a few weeks ago
2. An anonymous user just so happened to have a demo that's been lost for 20 years
3. This has tickled my nostalgia enough to make me buy Crystal on VC

I'm sorry friend.

Im currently walled at Crystal's E4 cause my team is all sub forty thanks to the horrific leveling curve. I might just grind for the legendary puppers, throw one of my duped master balls at ho oh and use it and lugia when I can get it to bulldoze the game.