Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd probably be down for a game of Chinese river piracy. Get shanghaied in Shanghai on a junk full of junk, twice.

Yeah, I wish someone had actually made this game.

Ewen Cluney posted:

I was gonna post this if no one else did. He actually calls himself "The Wick."

If indie gamers and D&D gamers both diss Wick at the same time can we call it “burning The Wick at both ends?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

hyphz posted:

Did anyone ever F&F Orkworld?

No. I've considered it in the past, but it's a long, wordy meander of a book, and Paizo and Palladium keep me pretty busy. Maybe someday? Maybe.

It's Wick expressing his fandom of Trollpak and Prachett for the most part, but doesn't really flip the script on standard fantasy because his "orks" are effectively completely different people than anything you'd likely find in a Monster Manual. The rules are barely there and it's mostly just :words: about ork myths and such, though I remember there being something busted or dodgy about the die mechanic? Well, that's just from memory.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

Here's Wick's existential scream against D20 and Ryan Dancey: https://pastebin.com/R7b1HgyT

This will always have a place in my heart because me posting this was the start of my "illustrious" grogs.txt career. It also won me ten bucks for posting the longest grog.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
But... Ryan Dancey and d20 are bad. I'm so confused :saddowns:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I read the Wick F&F and HOLY poo poo that last bit where he takes obvious glee in making a (teenage? early 20s?) girl visibly distressed is just the worst loving thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do Not Remind Me of Happy Fun Ball.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's possible to be right about things in a wrong way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well yeah, if you asked John Wick to write "grilled cheese sandwiches are good," it would come out as a grandiose rant about how he's a mad prophet who wandered out of the desert to speak truth to power with this shocking revelation.

And you know what else he'd do?

You don't know, but I'll tell you.

Oh, I'll tell you.

He'd make every single sentence...

And I mean. Every. Single. Sentence.

Its own paragraph.

That's how you know his writing is really important.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Halloween Jack posted:

Well yeah, if you asked John Wick to write "grilled cheese sandwiches are good," it would come out as a grandiose rant about how he's a mad prophet who wandered out of the desert to speak truth to power with this shocking revelation.

Oh, I'll tell you.

Its own paragraph.

:negative: You're giving me some painful flashbacks to reading Houses of the Blooded right now...

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's possible to be right about things in a wrong way.

Is the wrong way "being John Wick while criticizing it" because right now it looks like having bad thoughts about some things means that your correct thoughts are also invalidated.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, I'll tell you.

Its own paragraph.

I'm angry you've hit my L5R fan ptsd so hard

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like 7th Sea and L5R a lot, including the new 7th Sea but I can't defend Wick in any way other than 'he's pretty good about getting his promised products out and communicating well on KS'.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

sexpig by night posted:

I'm angry you've hit my L5R fan ptsd so hard

And when I killed your favorite NPC.

I.
Wrote.
Just.
Like.
This.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Anniversary posted:

And when I killed your favorite NPC.

I.
Wrote.
Just.
Like.
This.

:eyepop:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sexpig by night posted:

I like 7th Sea and L5R a lot, including the new 7th Sea but I can't defend Wick in any way other than 'he's pretty good about getting his promised products out and communicating well on KS'.
He seems a lot less annoying compared to the current crop of chuds and harassers and creeplords we are dealing with these days. Dude just has Bad Game Opinions and an irritating way of expressing them. That's almost :3: by modern problematic gaming personality standards (which include things like "is an abusive drunkard" and "literally raped a child")

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

FMguru posted:

He seems a lot less annoying compared to the current crop of chuds and harassers and creeplords we are dealing with these days. Dude just has Bad Game Opinions and an irritating way of expressing them. That's almost :3: by modern problematic gaming personality standards (which include things like "is an abusive drunkard" and "literally raped a child")

I mean, he's also clearly really into grossing out and distressing his players and considers driving them away from a table a positive. I'm not sure how positive that is outside of not being actual child abuse.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I got the impression Wick had improved somewhat from the original Play Dirty days (or what I vaguely recall of the Play Dirty 2 writeup) but PD2 seemed both less controversial and less...there. Just sort of rehashed a lot of standard good gaming advice in a kind of Wicky tone which is eyerollable but ultimately not a huge issue in modern gaming.

Like it sort of puts him in the camp of Luke Crane and Ron Edwards for "sometimes has good ideas, capable of very offputting tone, not a huge racist or anything." I don't know if/how he's responded to any criticism of 7th Sea 2nd edition. Gosh we have such low bars to clear.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bedlamdan posted:

Is the wrong way "being John Wick while criticizing it"
Kind of? The dude seems incapable of not coming off as the smuggest smug to ever smug about everything. It's like he's trying to channel Morpheus when he first meets Neo but all the time about everything and then takes the backlash from being a total chode as proof that he is superior to everyone who dislikes him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

occamsnailfile posted:

I got the impression Wick had improved somewhat from the original Play Dirty days (or what I vaguely recall of the Play Dirty 2 writeup) but PD2 seemed both less controversial and less...there. Just sort of rehashed a lot of standard good gaming advice in a kind of Wicky tone which is eyerollable but ultimately not a huge issue in modern gaming.

Like it sort of puts him in the camp of Luke Crane and Ron Edwards for "sometimes has good ideas, capable of very offputting tone, not a huge racist or anything." I don't know if/how he's responded to any criticism of 7th Sea 2nd edition. Gosh we have such low bars to clear.

Yea basically, he's improved...in some ways...from that stuff but he's still kinda a wad. He's just a wad with some clever ideas who's wadness is mainly confined to just being a bit of a pompous dick.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm gonna share a secret with you. Between you and me.

You made that sandwich with margarine and American cheese? That's not grilled cheese. Nothing from a cow got on that bun, pal, and if it did, it'd be horrified. Grilled cheese is an ancient food. A sacred food. A food handed down by warriors throughout the ages. Men died in World War II with grilled cheese in their stomachs, fighting for your freedom. You think they'd want you eating vegetable oil on sugar roll? No, they would not.

Two slices of sourdough.

Cheddar cheese (from Cheddar, England, if it's not, it's not real cheddar).

Butter from a cow, and if you don't know how to get butter from a cow, learn about the real world someday, friendo.

If you're ready for it, maybe- maybe slide a slice of thin tomato in there. Not your first time. Go easy.

Do it slow. This isn't a race. Use a pan, not a sandwich toaster or a panini grill. That's a toastie, pal, and you're not making a toastie, you're making grilled cheese. We're American and we filthy American food that overthrows kings and queens.

You think you're ready?

Well you're not because it turns out you're lactose intolerant!! Do you still want grilled cheese? Do you think you can still handle it? You think you're a real foodie, fella? Well, do you?!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Kind of? The dude seems incapable of not coming off as the smuggest smug to ever smug about everything. It's like he's trying to channel Morpheus when he first meets Neo but all the time about everything and then takes the backlash from being a total chode as proof that he is superior to everyone who dislikes him.

Being insufferable while saying a thing has no bearing on the correctness or incorrectness of the things he is saying. I mean the guy could probably write a big screed against the stuff Paradox's White Wolf has been doing in his

lovely
overdramatic
prose

but that doesn't invalidate his criticism or his actual arguments, or somehow make nuWW more appealing/less appalling.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

*throws panties on stage*

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
As it turns out, like almost all of his actual complaints about D20 in that enormous rant had nothing to do with what was actually wrong with D&D 3rd edition and instead were complaints about very specific character concept edge cases that, were in fact actually trivially easy to do by the book if he'd actually read it!

The rest were just statements of fact about the game but phrased really angrily and him being bitter that people bought it over Orkworld.

If he'd said something about how Monks look good superficially but are actually terrible and the spellcasters are overpowered compared to non-casters he'd be held up as an early prophet but that's not what he was complaining about!

"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So basically ignore anything John Wick says. Got it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm surprised nobody's brought up yet how Wick has Certain Things he can't help but revisit, but which never seem to work because Wick's not half as clever as he thinks.

Like the strong female character (that he is attracted to) fighting against a cardboard cutout of misogyny, the doomed highborn manchildren and smug self-inserts, or the need to insert one group of Machiavellian schemers that Get Stuff Done the way Wick likes it, but are written so poorly they either come off as morons or cackling cartoon villains. 7th Sea was occasionally able to moderate that stuff, but Wick seemed to think that the ideal way to play Legend of the Five Rings was by treating the honor system as a sanity meter but madness swapped out for inevitable gut-stabbings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wick strikes me as someone who's read a lot ABOUT feudal Japanese culture, but very little actual stories by and from Japanese people about said culture. They usually tend to recognise those cultures were inhabited by human beings. (because y'know, it's their history and all, even if it's often as historical as King Arthur)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

unseenlibrarian posted:

What's that smell and "The Last Paladin" are basically orthogonal in that both were Wick writing in reaction to D&D 3 but I don't think they're tied together.

And really the key takeaway from the Last Paladin isn't that "Surprise, the paladin is black", since that's pretty much said as part of his initial description. What Wick -really- wants you to know is that the inn-keeper has a wide fuckin' chest, as he described as "The wide-chested man" or "The Wide-chested innkeeper" in literally every sentence he's mentioned.

Fair enough, my mistake.

The repetition of some basic physical attribute is something I've seen a few times and I never understood just what the writer was trying to accomplish by doing it, I assume it's just cargo culting some writer they like.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wick strikes me as someone who's read a lot ABOUT feudal Japanese culture, but very little actual stories by and from Japanese people about said culture. They usually tend to recognise those cultures were inhabited by human beings. (because y'know, it's their history and all, even if it's often as historical as King Arthur)

Oh so you mean he's an actual scholar instead of a drat weeaboo who only knows Japan by playing videogames and watching anime?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

Oh so you mean he's an actual scholar instead of a drat weeaboo who only knows Japan by playing videogames and watching anime?

Splicer posted:

Don't be dense.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He strikes me more as a dude who has watched a handful of Kurosawa films and thinks he's some sort of scholar because of it. He puts himself out there as some kind of writing/gameplay genius but his writing is just the same four tropes shuffled together repeatedly, and his gameplay is about as mechanically sound as the k'nex tower I made when I was 7.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plutonis posted:

Learning how people understand and interpret their own culture is extremely important for understanding that culture as an outsider.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Interestingly there is a parody tabletop RPG written in Japan in which you play weaboos playing an American-made RPG based on Japanese culture. The rules of the game itself are meant to be the rules for the game-within-a-game, but the intro states that the only way to actually have fun with it is to properly RP the weaboo playing the game.

The most hilarious part is that the misinformation about Japan shown in the game isn’t nearly wrong enough. You could say that Japanese perceptions of how weaboos see Japan are just as misinformed as the weaboos perceptions of Japan are.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The new Runequest just dropped

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Getsuya posted:

Interestingly there is a parody tabletop RPG written in Japan in which you play weaboos playing an American-made RPG based on Japanese culture. The rules of the game itself are meant to be the rules for the game-within-a-game, but the intro states that the only way to actually have fun with it is to properly RP the weaboo playing the game.

The most hilarious part is that the misinformation about Japan shown in the game isn’t nearly wrong enough. You could say that Japanese perceptions of how weaboos see Japan are just as misinformed as the weaboos perceptions of Japan are.
This sounds amazing. Any subtitled actual plays or anything?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Getsuya posted:

Would you mind telling us some more about Weeaboo RPG?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, I'll tell you.

Its own paragraph.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Learning how people understand and interpret their own culture is extremely important for understanding that culture as an outsider.

I do enjoy how Japanese popular culture interprets Sengoku-era warlords, because it's a hard layer of bishonen candy shell surrounding a grain of truth. Arthurian legends are simply just that, but stories from Sengoku Jidai are based on actual history.

Much like...

Note: It's really hard to find .gifs of that crab from Genji: Tales of the Blade...

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 1, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The weirdest artifact of weeabooism to me is still 47 Ronin. Critics lambasted it, but few pointed out how incredibly weird it was to take such a well-known (and frequently adapted) story and turn it into a wuxia fantasy epic with all the standard genre cliches.

It's basically the American equivalent of Fantasy Mission Force, so of course it cost $175 million dollars.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Splicer posted:

This sounds amazing. Any subtitled actual plays or anything?

Leraika posted:

Would you mind telling us some more about Weeaboo RPG?

The concept is funnier than the execution, but I can give you a rough rundown.

The conceit is that this is an American-made RPG based on Japan called Geisha Girls with Katanas. The creator is actually just 'translating' the original version to Japanese. The rulebook is pretty short and contains a lot of margin notes from the 'translator' about things the original creators got wrong about Japan (pretty much everything).

There are only 3 stats: Technique, High-Tech, and Zen (Zen is the mystic stat that lets you know stuff and commune with Gods)

The classes are gender-locked (with a paragraph explaining how Japan is super gender-biased and there are all kinds of jobs that only either males or females can do. The translator comments that this is either a huge misconception or well-informed irony.) They are:

Male-Only:
Ninja Boy (self explanatory)
Samurai Man (mixed up with Salaryman. Works at a company for a 'Shogun' for his Salary. Cannot show cowardice. Commits harikari when dishonored)
Sumo Wrestler (self explanatory. There is a note that they only work 10 days a year.)
Ronin Fighter (a Samurai Man who is so good with his sword that the Shogun of the company gives him the title Ronin)

Female-Only:
Geisha Girl (a bard. No weapons, only a shamisen. Attacks by entertaining)
Oiran Lady (like the Samurai Man/Salaryman mix-up, this is a mix-up of 'OL' which should mean Office Lady. In this case they are presented as modern courtiers who are 'the greatest at negotiations with men'. Equipped with a hairpin.)
Kunoichi Girl (female ninja. Not as good with machines as the male version. Can only wear white or pink (boy ninjas can wear many other colors.)

Rolls are made by playing Chinchirorin (rolling 3 dice into a bowl). To get a result you need to get 2 dice of the same number, in that case the 3rd die is the actual result (ex: 2-2-4 = result of 4). If you get 3 of a kind it multiplies the result by an increasingly great amount. 123 is a critical fail, 456 is a critical success. If the dice fly out of the bowl your character has a running gag assigned to them they have to do.

Before battle you have to kneel down and touch your head to the ground (your enemies do as well). If either side fails to show politeness in this way they get a huge disadvantage during the fight. Also the number of enemies you are fighting at any point in time cannot out-number the heroes. If there are 10 enemies and 2 players, 8 enemies will wait patiently while 2 of them step forward to fight.

That's really all there is to it. A lot of the crunch you would actually need to play a game using these rules is left out, so I don't know if it would actually be playable. The point is you're not supposed to play it, you're supposed to use it as a vehicle for pretending to be weaboos who squabble about the random (false) bits of Japanese culture they know.

The replays weren't particularly funny, sadly. Mainly because it's a game meant to make Japanese people laugh, so a lot of the jokes are centered around word plays and puns that only make sense in Japanese (ex: they mistake the name for Doraemon as Doreimon and talk about how it's about slavery because dorei=slave). The only part I found universally entertaining was the number of times one of the players would go 'What!? You've never heard of <thing>!?' because that phrase would indeed come up quite a bunch anytime you get a group of weaboos together.

The (Japanese) rules are freely available online:
http://www.game-writer.com/konogoro/trpg/ggwk/rule.html

One final unique note is that this was published in a collection of indie RPGs that was released regularly back in the 90s. I don't know if it was in the same edition as this game or in another edition, but the magazine/collection also carried a Japanese Die Hard TRPG based on the first Die Hard movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmao @ the dice falling out rules, salaryman samurai and the sexism