Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Macaroni posted:

That's...astounding.

I know one person with a car payment that high, but it's because she cleverly took out an equity loan to bail out an idiotic family member and is now upside down as all hell.

I’ve known people with higher payments, but that’s mainly because they were going to buy the car in cash, but got offered a 0% loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

You can meet accreditation with a high salary too, in the US and Canada. But being a GP isn’t an arms length investment in the fund, so it doesn’t really matter.

ime i've never actually seen an actual-partner in a fund who wasn't also an accredited investor. but i haven't had real indepth convos with that many vc's in rando funds

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ime i've never actually seen an actual-partner in a fund who wasn't also an accredited investor. but i haven't had real indepth convos with that many vc's in rando funds

Yeah, the salaries alone are generally enough to qualify, I’m sure. (An easier documentation process too, at least in Canada.)

E: the net worth threshold is $1M for an individual in the US, fwiw

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 31, 2018

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

I’ve known people with higher payments, but that’s mainly because they were going to buy the car in cash, but got offered a 0% loan.

Yep. This is a very GWM strategy, IF:

You truly have the money to do a full cash purchase and aren't fooling yourself and counting dumb poo poo like a 401k withdrawal (people do this!) etc.

You plan invest said cash in other types of investments. Even if it's just letting it sit in an Ally savings account at 1.6% while you slowly draw it down making the payments. Though you won't beat inflation with longer terms this way.

You take the lowest term possible, usually 36 months - if that payment seems too high then see point #1 because you don't really have the money and are fooling yourself

You can do third-grade math and calculate what the interest cost is on a non-0% with rebates vs. 0% without (there are usually extra rebates if you finance with, for example, Ford Motor Credit, or whoever, but the lowest you'll get there is in the 4-5% range with excellent credit). It rarely works out better but always smart to check.

With all this in place, a 36 month 0% vs. tying up that cash upfront can make a lot of sense.

That isn't what the majority of people with high car payments are doing of course. Just like a lot of people use high-reward cards for travel etc. and then carry a balance at 18% or whatever. Never fails to amaze me.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my understanding of it is that if you're not within 2 hours' drive from stanford in decent traffic, you count as a rando vc fund

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Subjunctive posted:

Excluding primary residence.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Wait what would that qualification do for me?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my understanding of it is that if you're not within 2 hours' drive from stanford in decent traffic, you count as a rando vc fund

USV will be sad to hear that.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Don't forget First Round and ARCH.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

USV will be sad to hear that.

they pay for quite a few cross-country flights every year, yes

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ryde posted:

Excluding primary residence.

Or $200k a year for the last 2 years. $300 for a couple.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wait what would that qualification do for me?

Allow you to invest in higher risk areas like angel, VC and hedge.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Don't forget First Round and ARCH.

first round is within 2 hours in decent traffic, if not in bad traffic

arch are randoes, yes

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

first round is within 2 hours in decent traffic, if not in bad traffic

arch are randoes, yes

poo poo why did I think they were based in Radnor, PA?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
(tbh, biotech vc is nearly all within like 2 hour's drive of harvard with decent traffic, sure)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(tbh, biotech vc is nearly all within like 2 hour's drive of harvard with decent traffic, sure)

This is why Theranos should have been suspicious out of the gate.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Subjunctive posted:

My man you have GOT to read "Bad Blood" by John Carreyrou. It's a loving riot. I can't believe the poo poo Sunny tries to get away with.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

wasn't there that guy who wrote a new york times op-ed saying that theranos was rejected by every single biotech specialty vc they applied to, don't blame us for the clusterfuck

e: here

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/opinion/dont-blame-silicon-valley-for-theranos.html
'
a little bit short of calling draper a drat fool but you know

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ixian posted:

Yep. This is a very GWM strategy, IF:

You truly have the money to do a full cash purchase and aren't fooling yourself and counting dumb poo poo like a 401k withdrawal (people do this!) etc.

You plan invest said cash in other types of investments. Even if it's just letting it sit in an Ally savings account at 1.6% while you slowly draw it down making the payments. Though you won't beat inflation with longer terms this way.

You take the lowest term possible, usually 36 months - if that payment seems too high then see point #1 because you don't really have the money and are fooling yourself

You can do third-grade math and calculate what the interest cost is on a non-0% with rebates vs. 0% without (there are usually extra rebates if you finance with, for example, Ford Motor Credit, or whoever, but the lowest you'll get there is in the 4-5% range with excellent credit). It rarely works out better but always smart to check.

With all this in place, a 36 month 0% vs. tying up that cash upfront can make a lot of sense.

That isn't what the majority of people with high car payments are doing of course. Just like a lot of people use high-reward cards for travel etc. and then carry a balance at 18% or whatever. Never fails to amaze me.

I mean, I get that you come out somewhat ahead, but if you’re financing $15k for three years in order to get 1.6% you’re making maybe $750 in exchange for owing money on a car. gently caress that. That’s not even $1 a day.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean, I get that you come out somewhat ahead, but if you’re financing $15k for three years in order to get 1.6% you’re making maybe $750 in exchange for owing money on a car. gently caress that. That’s not even $1 a day.

What's the problem with owing if you're not paying interest? Why would I want to part ways with 15k at one time if I don't have to?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Haggle for a better price in cash vs the zero interest loan. They don’t offer 0% out of the goodness of their hearts, it’s rolled into the price of the car.

In theory anyway.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

StormDrain posted:

Haggle for a better price in cash vs the zero interest loan. They don’t offer 0% out of the goodness of their hearts, it’s rolled into the price of the car.

In theory anyway.

That subsidized rate frequently comes from the manufacturer, not the dealer. Dealer doesn't give a poo poo unless it's their money.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's also some advantage in having a pool of liquid cash.

If poo poo hits the fan a year later, you're not going to be able to get a 0% loan. Really I'd say that's the bigger advantage, the 1.~% you're earning in interest on the money isn't that much and will probably be more than eaten up by insurance costs since most banks force you to have a $500 deductible and of course none will let you forgo collision coverage.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

To be honest even if I wanted to wreck havoc and have them shut down crucial systems, the stores would operate just as they would without power and they'd put two and two together pretty quickly. It's not like I have physical access to devices.

But the point still stands that I have to approach it as if they'll assume I'm shifty and put them at ease with nothing more than my soothing voice, trustworthy demeanor, and all the authority that a 'call from corporate' entails. The only way to really prevent that kind of social engineering that is to have rock solid rules that people won't get in trouble following. Which is why you see the 'We Card Everybody' or 'no menu substitutions' signs.

"Hey this is corporate, I believe a courier dropped off a USB Stick today? Great, we need you to plug it into the cash register. Thanks!" - Forget being out of power, that's how things like Target and Home Depot levels of malware proliferate. Social engineering is a great tool which can be used for good or evil.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Hoodwinker posted:

This "actual Hatha Yoga Guru" paid $2,000+ to go through a course that made her as such. I am almost certain of it. That is how these things operate.

Yep, as soon as I take any class at a yoga studio, they start sending advertisements for their crazy expensive teacher training courses. They don't seem to filter by skill level at all.

Also what kind of 15$ class doesn't have an attendance cap? The most I've ever seen for a regular studio class is 20$ so I don't even understand how someone can charge 135$

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, the salaries alone are generally enough to qualify, I’m sure. (An easier documentation process too, at least in Canada.)

congratulations

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I just found out that someone I know pays $135 for a 1-hour yoga session (almost) every week.

In the exact same building, they have a different yoga class for $15 per session.

Why is one class $120 more expensive? There's two reasons:

1) One has a class size limit of ~20 and the other has no limit.

According to her, the no limit class usually has 40-50 people. That means you get more "one-on-one guidance" in the expensive class.

2) The more expensive class is instructed by "an actual Hatha Yoga Guru."

The "actual Hatha Yoga Guru" is a 23-year old white girl.
Something seems a little lost in translation here. There is no way any 20-person yoga class gets away with charging each attendee $135/session.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

gvibes posted:

Something seems a little lost in translation here. There is no way any 20-person yoga class gets away with charging each attendee $135/session.

Yeah, I actually realized I was wrong. She spends $135 a month for the "Hatha Guru Session" once a week. You can only get into this class if you have a monthly or annual membership.

That makes it about $34 per session if you go to every session. Still crazy to pay $34/hr (or more if you don't go to every class) for yoga.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah, I actually realized I was wrong. She spends $135 a month for the "Hatha Guru Session" once a week. You can only get into this class if you have a monthly or annual membership.

That makes it about $34 per session if you go to every session. Still crazy to pay $34/hr (or more if you don't go to every class) for yoga.
That's about the price of a personal trainer.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Hoodwinker posted:

That's about the price of a personal trainer.

But not the going rate for a group yoga class. I thought my friend was getting overcharged for her studio that charges 60$ a month for 4 classes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

flynt posted:

But not the going rate for a group yoga class. I thought my friend was getting overcharged for her studio that charges 60$ a month for 4 classes.

Ask your friend what is special about Hatha Yoga compared to "normal yoga" and why you need a guru. I want to ask my friend, but don't want to pry too much.

Google shows me some Yoga poses that don't look like anything you need special training to do.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, my same friend with all the guns just finished a renovation of his kitchen and a powder room in his house. It cost somewhere in the mid 20k range, took 8 months, and he did all the work himself.

He did it because he put 3% down and pays PMI. He says that his free labor + the 25k or so will get him over the PMI threshold if he gets it reappraised.

I have no idea why he didn't just out 25k down on the mortgage 8 months ago. A big chunk of that cost went to new appliances. Do things that are theoretically movable, like his new fridge and garbage compactor even count towards a home appraisal?

I know that he probably isn't going to get a dollar for dollar value out of this remodel/reappraisal and I'm pretty sure he went about this plan to get rid of PMI in a dumb way, but I don't know exactly how dumb.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 1, 2018

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Just found out my [30F] best friend [30F] of 10 years stole $20,000 from me.

https://reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/8nnc0k/just_found_out_my_30f_best_friend_30f_of_10_years/

quote:

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered several unauthorised Uber Eats orders on one of my credit cards. I cancelled the card immediately and informed my bank.

While waiting for my credit card company to give me an update, I messaged Uber directly with the full list of fraudulent charges (a total of 688 over 12 months) and they gave me the name of the person who was linked to my credit card. It's an uncommon name, so I knew immediately who had been using it. I also cross-checked certain dates when there was no activity only to find out she had been away during these times, so it is definitely her.
Over the course of 12 months, she spent $20,000 on Uber eats food orders and Uber rides by using my credit card without my permission.

I'm honestly at a loss here and don't know how to bring this up with her.

So- what would YOU do? At the moment, I'm leaning toward ghosting her and letting the bank deal with it, but I don't really want her to get a criminal conviction, which I have been advised could happen.

TL;DR my long-time friend defrauded me of $20,000 on Uber and I don't know what to do about it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Also, my same friend with all the guns just finished a renovation of his kitchen and a powder room in his house. It cost somewhere in the mid 20k range, took 8 months, and he did all the work himself.

He did it because he put 3% down and pays PMI. He says that his free labor + the 25k or so will get him over the PMI threshold if he gets it reappraised.

I have no idea why he didn't just out 25k down on the mortgage 8 months ago. A big chunk of that cost went to new appliances. Do things that are theoretically movable, like his new fridge and garbage compactor even count towards a home appraisal?

I know that isn't going to get a dollar for dollar value out of this reappraisal and I'm pretty sure he went about this plan to get rod of PMI in a dumb way, but I don't know exactly how dumb.

Fridge no, garbage compactor maybe of it is built in but not much. If he added a bathroom that might have been money good and of three rooms were not habitable before but now are that would make a difference. It makes some difference to update stuff but not a whole hell of a lot.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ah ha ha... she will get like only the last two statements worth refunded.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

How is it even possible to go one year and 20k without noticing that?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Ask your friend what is special about Hatha Yoga compared to "normal yoga" and why you need a guru. I want to ask my friend, but don't want to pry too much.

Google shows me some Yoga poses that don't look like anything you need special training to do.

Yoga in the generic sense is basically a Hindu philosophy/religious practice of self-improvement leading to enlightenment.

Hatha yoga is the part that deals with physical strength, flexibility, and crazy poses. It's basically what most people outside Hindu religious traditions think of as "normal yoga."

In theory a "hatha yoga guru" might have done a lot of training and study of the religious and philosophical parts of yoga, as well as the physical exercise parts. In practice, well, it's probably someone who's decent at the physical poses, has a head full of orientalism and "secret truths of the mystical east" bullshit, and paid a few grand for classes making her a Certified Gurutm.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Yeah, I got to this part

Reddit person posted:

While waiting for my credit card company to give me an update, I messaged Uber directly with the full list of fraudulent charges (a total of 688 over 12 months) 

and they lost me

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

How is it even possible to go one year and 20k without noticing that?
Two big possibilities:
1):thermidor:
2)OP is telling lies on the internet.

OP's post history reveals she has a custom-designed wedding dress & uses a foundation that costs over 100 dollars for a tiny bottle, so 1 is actually a possibility.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The guillotinee's eyes turn into crosses too early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Pure BWM a Government based meth contamination scam.

quote:

It's been called the biggest scam ever played on New Zealand. For years, tens of millions of dollars were spent on testing and cleaning houses for methamphetamine residue that wasn't dangerous at all. Throughout, Housing New Zealand led the charge, kicking tenants out of homes and pursuing them for thousands in the Tenancy Tribunal. Henry Cooke looks back at the series of failures at every level that got us into this mess.

Old people were kicked out of state housing and weren't allowed to take their possessions because of meth contamination. Of course the threshold was set so low it was absurd. Many private landlords ended up paying for remediation, ended up demolishing houses or selling the house at an extreme discount. Housing New Zealand spent $100m remediating state houses that didn't need any clean up. They used a threshold intended to be used for meth lab clean up.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104318112/meth-house-myth-why-hundreds-of-safe-homes-were-left-empty-in-middle-of-a-housing-crisis

In the mean time the new threshold has meant 1500 state houses have been sitting empty for no reason when we're in the middle of a housing crisis with 1% of the population homeless.

Of course the Minister responsible at the time is making excuses for being an idiot, and wasting huge amounts of public money.

quote:

Some have also suggested a political climate contributed to a feeling of hysteria around meth, something former Social Housing Minister Paula Bennett rejected on Tuesday - instead saying she had actually pushed back against HNZ at several points.

"At the time we questioned HNZ and experts continuously and repeatedly. We always were so skeptical. But we were up against Health and Safety and lawyers saying what the law was," Bennett said.

"We couldn't overrule a crown entity that had got legal advice."

She said both she and former Prime Minister Bill English felt the standard was too low but they were not technical experts.

"I just instinctively didn't think it was right."

They didn't make any of these statements at the time so it's all lies.