Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have never listened to Pretty Hate Machine all the way through. I just know the singles from that.

:negative: I'm a bad fan.
PHM is great, but obviously the production is dated. That's What I Get is also the whiniest song with the corniest line in the NIN catalog, which is saying a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Leon Einstein posted:

PHM is great, but obviously the production is dated. That's What I Get is also the whiniest song with the corniest line in the NIN catalog, which is saying a lot.
Lol, the version on one of those cover-tribute albums replaced it with “I’m going to have to give this line a miss” which was great.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
LOL, that's good, but I think the corniest line is "now I'm slipping on the tears you've made me cry." I mean, come on.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Eh, that's bad but it doesn't beat the clumsiness of "after you just taught me how to kiss...you!"

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I have to admit that I really dig that song once the outro starts.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

glam rock hamhock posted:

Eh, that's bad but it doesn't beat the clumsiness of "after you just taught me how to kiss...you!"

The delivery of that line on the demo linked earlier is way better. Still doesn't make it a good line.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I like Add Violence a bunch. And I was sorta bored by Not the Actual Events.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah I think NTAE ended up being my least favourite thing he's done... maybe ever? Since Deep?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

actually, it's good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

polyester concept posted:

actually, it's good.

I assume you're referring to Deep, in which case I completely agree :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NTAE rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKRUtrNfMQE

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

I assume you're referring to Deep, in which case I completely agree :colbert:

Both are good.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

Yeah I think NTAE ended up being my least favourite thing he's done... maybe ever? Since Deep?
I felt this way at first, but it totally grew on me. Now I prefer NTAE to AV.

Deep is a fun song, even if the chorus is the laziest thing I've ever heard. The bridge is great.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I actually liked NTAE more at first, but I got bored with it pretty quickly. The Idea of You and She's Gone Away are still pretty decent but it's easily the NIN record I've played the least.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I'm sorry, this video is The Nine Inch Nails, please do not post in the Nine Inch Nails thread

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Shame because the beat is one of my favourites on the album. I'd love an instrumental mix with maybe just the "that's what I get" refrain on the outro. I'm sure that exists already, but anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Grey would be the color... IF I HAD A HEART, COME ON AND TELL MEEEEEEEEE..."

Trent has never been known for good lyrics, but drat if he doesn't make the cheese work.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think Something I Can Never Have sells it better for whatever reason.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd also disagree about PHM having "dated" or "bad" production. Most of that is deliberate and works in the album's favor imo. It's not his best album, but also, it kind of is.

edit: also "The Nine Inch Nails" scene is a fantastic song/performance

precision fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 1, 2018

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I didn't say bad; just dated. The dynamic range on it is way narrower than on the later stuff. That was kind of fixed on the remaster though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leon Einstein posted:

I didn't say bad; just dated. The dynamic range on it is way narrower than on the later stuff. That was kind of fixed on the remaster though.

Oh, yeah that's true. A lot of songs sound much better with a bass boost.

I feel the same way about Loveless, even remastered, Shields kept the bass buried which really hurts songs like "Only Shallow" and "Soon". Great songs, but even greater if you turn up the bass because those bass lines are slinky

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The best NIN song from Pretty Hate Machine is "The Only Time" for the flangy bass line.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I love the version of Closer that includes that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

I love the version of Closer that includes that.
I've listened to it so much I could swear the original had that part in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qvmcq0CXMQ

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

precision posted:

I feel the same way about Loveless, even remastered, Shields kept the bass buried which really hurts songs like "Only Shallow" and "Soon". Great songs, but even greater if you turn up the bass because those bass lines are slinky
Part of the appeal of Loveless for me is that it sounds like you're listening to it while drifting off into unconsciousness or something. There are all these things going on beneath the surface that you can barely make out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Leon Einstein posted:

Part of the appeal of Loveless for me is that it sounds like you're listening to it while drifting off into unconsciousness or something. There are all these things going on beneath the surface that you can barely make out.

This is exactly what I love about it, and I doubt we're alone in that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In my mind "shoegaze" has never referred to the musicians, but the listeners :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

In my mind "shoegaze" has never referred to the musicians, but the listeners :v:

I believe it's sourced from the Burroughs adage that he could take heroin and have fun "staring at the end of my shoe for hours"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

il_cornuto posted:

The Fragile is my favourite NIN album with Year Zero juuuust behind.

Man, same. My first concert was Fragility 2.0 back in April of 2000. A Perfect Circle opened for them before their first album was even out. That album got me through high school in one piece, it means a lot to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Finally someone said it!!!

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1003373289107001344

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh please let Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America, tweet something whiny at Trent Reznor

e: I feel like the Donald would be a fan since there's a 99% chance that "Closer" was playing when he met one of his stripper concubines

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

precision posted:

Oh please let Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America, tweet something whiny at Trent Reznor

e: I feel like the Donald would be a fan since there's a 99% chance that "Closer" was playing when he met one of his stripper concubines

Please, as if he remembers anything that happened between a week ago and the '80s.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

Please, as if he remembers anything that happened between a week ago and the '80s.
A week ago may as well be three decades ago in the social media age :haw:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I just looked at stubhub prices and they're going for about $2-$10 more than what you would have paid at the venue. You can never really predict these things but I am really glad I didn't waste 6+ hours of my life waiting in line.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Barry posted:

I just looked at stubhub prices and they're going for about $2-$10 more than what you would have paid at the venue. You can never really predict these things but I am really glad I didn't waste 6+ hours of my life waiting in line.

I’ve seen the cheaper tickets for the Detroit show selling for $5 UNDER face after StubHub fees, which is about $20 cheaper than if you bought them via Ticketmaster. Also glad I didn’t spend most of my day waiting in line.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do me a favor and just imagine Trump doing karaoke of "Closer"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

vegas tickets are crashing and dropped below face. just snatched up tickets for june 16 for $50

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just checked StubHub and the cheapest tickets for the shows here are like $98 a piece. Yeah, no thanks. That's still too much to pay for a bad seat at a seated Nine Inch Nails show.

The seats closest to the stage are going for $700 a piece ahahahahahaha, loving hell

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I'll give it to Trent Reznor that he's good at marketing. I mean underneath the rock-star bullshit this is basically him selling his tour with the (paraphrasing) 'and who knows, there might not be another.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjREhlj222s

It might be the last time, guys! Yeah, no. I mean he's only 53. He's going to be Mick Jagger in 20 years and singing the NIN golden oldies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
While I'm ragging on Reznor here's a Melvins account of them touring with NIN during the Downward Spiral tour: https://www.spin.com/2012/09/melvins-51-states-tour-diary-rob-zombie-sucks/

Now, The Melvins are pretentious assholes. But it's pretty funny because the Melvins guy goes: 'yeah, NIN were MTV babyrockers and we weren't into that, and we watched them destroy a $30,000 arena dressing room because they were idiot kids. But overall they were nice to us, which is rare in this business, and put on a good show so we didn't have any complaints, unlike Rob Zombie... because gently caress Rob Zombie."

STONE COLD 64 posted:

vegas tickets are crashing and dropped below face. just snatched up tickets for june 16 for $50
Maybe one day I'll move to Vegas, live cheaply, find work in the service sector and/or methamphetamine distribution, and have all the cheap concert tickets in the world because every band goes through there.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 5, 2018