Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ADINSX posted:

I've never actually been called in... I've been registered to vote in seattle for a couple of years now and usually kept my other registrations up to date; so idk :confused:

it's weird because i was told by a lifetime resident of here that he gets consistently called every other year. i've been living here five and haven't been called once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i've gotten a couple of notices, but every time save one i called the hotline the night before and was told that the case was settled and i didn't need to come in. the one time i did i had to get up at 5:30 to be there by 6:00, stood around in the hallway for 2 hours before being called in, watched the jury service video, took 5 bathroom breaks while things were explained and then the judge told half of us to go home because there were too many jurors. it was a civil case were some property management company was suing a paving company (or vice versa).

my brother actually served on an interesting case: a lady rear-ended a guy at a traffic light and he was suing for medical costs claiming that the accident left him too injured to work anymore. he showed up in a neck brace with a lionel hutz type of lawyer and everything.

his case fell apart when an investigator found footage of him on facebook going off ramps on a four-wheeler and running around the week before the trial and the woman's lawyer tried to claim that it wasn't her fault because she was struck by a phantom car that pushed her into the guy's car and then drove off leaving no damage.

everyone on the jury was laughing at how full of poo poo they both were, save for one kooky lady who "felt his pain" and dragged what should have been a 10 minute deliberation to an hour. still, they decided that the lady was responsible for the damage and emergency room bills related to the accident since she did hit him and that's it.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

he wouldn't even be allowed to say "oh i know where you can get those knives", if within the context of the trial the conclusion is that the knife is rare, that's what you have to accept as the "truth", it's the defense's fault for not challenging it

Holy poo poo, I'm so glad I've never had to deal with this kind of poo poo. I don't know if I could just ignore something that I know to be false like that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The_Franz posted:

it was a civil case were some property management company was suing a paving company (or vice versa).

Landlords suing a Joe the Plumber. Whomever loses we win!

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 31, 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
living in alameda county is a great way to both get called for jury duty a lot and witness first class suburban racism

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Janitor Prime posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm so glad I've never had to deal with this kind of poo poo. I don't know if I could just ignore something that I know to be false like that.

and that is why voir dire exists

the trial i was called for had only policemen (and possibly the victim i guess) as witnesses to the prosecution. didn't get a lot of details obviously but it sounds like the accused wasn't positively identified and we'd have to take the cops' word that he done it.

so when they ask "can you take what a policeman says in court as the truth, making only judgments based on what you heard and not making assumptions from what you might have heard about the police?" and you go "gently caress no, only trust your fists" they will thank you for your service and look for someone less nuanced

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

lancemantis posted:

living in alameda county america is a great way to both get called for jury duty a lot and witness first class suburban racism

i think its pretty universal

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Do I get more jury votes if I wear my $400 shoes to court

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

keyboard vomit posted:

Do I get more jury votes if I wear my $400 shoes to court

make them worth $600 and you get to be the judge :ssh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

every court i've been to has a shoe shine stand right in the front of the building with a bunch of signage heavily implying that if you have lovely shoes you're going to jail

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
there's a benjamin sticking out behind each of my ankles, does that count?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qirex posted:

this thread is reminding me I should condition my horween vans

glad somebody's cleaning their shoes here

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Sagebrush posted:

lol five years

here in AMERICA we have so many trumped-up prosecutions and ridiculous lawsuits that we get called every year, pretty much on the dot

twice a year if you were dumb and registered to vote separately from getting your driver's license (those are the two lists they draw from)

NYC you get a certificate that is good for seven years.

Sorry you live somewhere bad.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

as if a bicyclist would ever be arrested for their crimes.

pedal fast eat rear end

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
So 12 Angry Men is apparently a tale of extremely bad and invalid jury behavior, lol

My Cousin Vinny is apparently a well-liked movie among lawyers and judges because it gets a lot of procedural details right in ways that are important to the dialogue and plot. Also it is funny

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

that sign should say gently caress off everyone including me and be large enough to reach from there to the fidi

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

prisoner of waffles posted:

So 12 Angry Men is apparently a tale of extremely bad and invalid jury behavior, lol

pretty much. it's the tale of one guy arguing a jury from 11-1 guilty to 12-0 innocent (although to be fair some people have pretty bad reasons for voting guilty like "I have tickets to the big game" or "I'm a huge racist")

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/CORPORATE_NAME/status/1002286766144000001

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

pretty much. it's the tale of one guy arguing a jury from 11-1 guilty to 12-0 innocent (although to be fair some people have pretty bad reasons for voting guilty like "I have tickets to the big game" or "I'm a huge racist")

again, just flip around the parties and ask yourself what you think

"that policeman couldn't have shot that kid. policemen are trained to aim for the chest, and the kid was shot in the head!"
(nodding)
"and the single mother across the road couldn't have heard it happen. she has five children, and it was after school, so you know how loud children can be!"
(murmurs of agreement)

i like the movie a lot but i do recognize that it's a classic mistrial and for perfectly valid reasons

really the problem is that the kid's lawyer was apparently unbelievably lovely and didn't bring up in court any of the issues henry fonda later discussed, even super obvious things like questioning an old lady's eyesight

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 31, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Person Who Bought House In San Francisco 2 Years Earlier Mad About Person Who Bought House 1 Year Earlier

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

Person Who Bought House In San Francisco 2 Years Earlier Mad About Person Who Bought House 1 Year Earlier

oh, yeah, also every single juror at the selection was either

"i'm sixty-five, i've lived in san francisco for forty years and before that i lived in san jose, i'm retired and married with no children"

or

"i'm thirty, i've lived in san francisco for eighteen months, i'm single, i work in tech and i live with four other adults"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

make them worth $600 and you get to be the judge :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVt1EY896cY

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

every court i've been to has a shoe shine stand right in the front of the building with a bunch of signage heavily implying that if you have lovely shoes you're going to jail

i saw a guy wearing a "it's beer o'clock" or some such t-shirt and you better believe he did not exit by the same door he came in

also my only furry siting was in a courtroom

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

syscall girl posted:

also my only furry siting was in a courtroom

lol. im just imagining someone like liz lemon, only dressed as a furry instead of princess leia to dodge jury duty.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1002293661579825152

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Snitches get stitches.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

pedal fast eat rear end

sounds like a good saturday

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fishmech posted:

California in a nutshell

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a good sign that you can avoid spending stupid money on shoes

however bad that person's tom's are, plainly you can get away with it. get on it. emulate your +2.

with my new vp starting soon, its women all the way up until I hit ceo lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

really the problem is that the kid's lawyer was apparently unbelievably lovely and didn't bring up in court any of the issues henry fonda later discussed, even super obvious things like questioning an old lady's eyesight

so basically a modern public defender who had 1000 other trials going on simultaneously and could only afford to spend 7 minutes total on this one

anyway i've only ever gotten called to jury duty once and it was right as i was moving across the state so i called them and asked if I could like, switch to doing it in the area I was moving to since i do actually feel it's important to do it, but they were like "oh you're moving? well nevermind then" and just cancelled it :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

with my new vp starting soon, its women all the way up until I hit ceo lol

so the only way for anyone to get promoted now is for all the guys to wear high heels, good luck friend

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

so when they ask "can you take what a policeman says in court as the truth, making only judgments based on what you heard and not making assumptions from what you might have heard about the police?" and you go "gently caress no, only trust your fists" they will thank you for your service and look for someone less nuanced

I forgot that I had jury duty once, got tapped for the afternoon session, and was wearing this t-shirt:

needless to say I was dismissed

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CrazyLittle posted:

I forgot that I had jury duty once, got tapped for the afternoon session, and was wearing this t-shirt:

needless to say I was dismissed

Ah, the judge was a Victorinox man, then?

E: poo poo, Wenger got bought out in 2005? :corsair:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 31, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tesla admits: our engineers loving suck and we do not test anything

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Schadenboner posted:

Ah, the judge was a Victorinox man, then?

E: poo poo, Wenger got bought out in 2005? :corsair:

heheh. no - they made me explain the joke under oath.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

amazing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
our ABS calibration was so bad it prevents the car from stopping properly, it's not at all worrying that this went unnoticed until consumer reports gave us a poor review because our car is unsafe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

our ABS calibration was so bad it prevents the car from stopping properly, it's not at all worrying that this went unnoticed until consumer reports gave us a poor review because our car is unsafe

a guy in the EV thread points out "if no one noticed it until now, why is it a problem??"

(note that tesla has in the past made owners sign NDAs before agreeing to perform warranty work)