Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Man, I've got a 4lb pork butt that's been in the smoker at 225 for 12.5 hours now and it just cracked 170. Shoulda crutched it :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I did a butt this weekend required 14 hours. It was my first overnight smoke and a pellet grill and it turned out spectacularly well

in conclusion pellet grills are the wave of the future

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You’ll take my egg from my warm, smoky hands. (Unless it’s to replace it with a bigger one :getin:)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

You’ll take my egg from my warm, smoky hands. (Unless it’s to replace it with a bigger one :getin:)

:same:

I do want a pellet grill for when I move back to an apartment though. Only problem is they don’t typically go above 500°, and sometimes not even that high.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Blinkz0rz posted:

Man, I've got a 4lb pork butt that's been in the smoker at 225 for 12.5 hours now and it just cracked 170. Shoulda crutched it :sigh:

15 hours but it came out beautifully. The bark was spectacular and it was unbelievably moist and juicy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Blinkz0rz posted:

crutched it?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Wrapped it in foil aka the 'texas crutch'.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Hey, any Pellet Grill goons around?

I'm thinking about taking the plunge. I've used my kettle, a regular side box stick burner, and my masterbuilt electric with a pellet tray installed inside. All of them have positives and negatives but the food is the best on an old school wood burning pit.

The pellet grills are tempting, especially the newer ones. They range in price but most (traeger, green mountain, gorilla, etc) are around the 800 mark except the yoder's. They're up around 1200 for the 640 models.

Is the quality that must better?
Is a Yoder equivalent to say my 20 year old Weber Genesis?
Are there any "huge" differences in the regular lower end models?
Can any of them get hot enough to replace a standard grill for cooking some burgers and dogs? I'm guessing not and I'll be adding "another" grill to my patio.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

micron posted:

I'm thinking about taking the plunge. I've used my kettle, a regular side box stick burner, and my masterbuilt electric with a pellet tray installed inside. All of them have positives and negatives but the food is the best on an old school wood burning pit.

The pellet grills are tempting, especially the newer ones. They range in price but most (traeger, green mountain, gorilla, etc) are around the 800 mark except the yoder's. They're up around 1200 for the 640 models.

Is the quality that must better?
Is a Yoder equivalent to say my 20 year old Weber Genesis?
Are there any "huge" differences in the regular lower end models?
Can any of them get hot enough to replace a standard grill for cooking some burgers and dogs? I'm guessing not and I'll be adding "another" grill to my patio.
I recently snagged a used GMG Davy Crockett from craigslist for like $200.

The pros are basically that it's super duper easy. The one I got even has a wifi function that connects to a cloud server via wifi and lets you remotely monitor and control the grill from anywhere.

The main cons are that it doesn't produce the strongest smoke flavor, and it doesn't get hot at all (I think like 400 max), so not much of a grill - though I think some of them do get hotter.

For me personally, I do often find myself wishing I had a more traditional smoker that would bring a stronger smoke flavor. But again, it's really easy.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

dy. posted:

I recently snagged a used GMG Davy Crockett from craigslist for like $200.

The pros are basically that it's super duper easy. The one I got even has a wifi function that connects to a cloud server via wifi and lets you remotely monitor and control the grill from anywhere.

The main cons are that it doesn't produce the strongest smoke flavor, and it doesn't get hot at all (I think like 400 max), so not much of a grill - though I think some of them do get hotter.

For me personally, I do often find myself wishing I had a more traditional smoker that would bring a stronger smoke flavor. But again, it's really easy.

It's has to better than an Electric with a pellet tray. Which is also super easy, but there is pretty much no visible smoke ring.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I was at the store earlier today and picked up some “Vidalia onion vingarette” dressing/marinade/dip just for shits, and the cashier recommended I marinade pork butt or baby back ribs in it.

So I went and bought a pork butt (Hormel cuz it was all the store had, just under 8 lbs) and I’m gonna marinade and inject it with that dressing and then rub it. gently caress yeah.

Also I’m doing ribs tonight.

Also also I went to Walmart and found out they sell peach wood chips now, which I’ve never seen in a store before and rarely see online. I don’t know if they’re GOOD peach chips (they’re the Western brand ones so probably not) but I’m hoping this trend continues and I start seeing more variety of wood selection in stores.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

micron posted:

I have a little Traeger and it works amazing. I don't know about all this "light smoke flavor" mine makes smoke like it's going out of style, and everything I smoke on there has big smoke rings.

I've been using my little Traeger constantly for about six years and I haven't had a single problem with it. You can cook burgers and hot dogs on it but it's not really the right tool for that job. I'm planning on buying a grill now that I have a backyard, but at my townhouse I couldn't have a grill and the Traeger does ok in a pinch.

I have this essentially: https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/town-travel-portable-series/tailgater-blue/TFB30LUB.html

Costco sells Traeger stuff in the summer, they normally have a schedule of when the demo guys are in your area selling them there.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I was at the store earlier today and picked up some “Vidalia onion vingarette” dressing/marinade/dip just for shits, and the cashier recommended I marinade pork butt or baby back ribs in it.

So I went and bought a pork butt (Hormel cuz it was all the store had, just under 8 lbs) and I’m gonna marinade and inject it with that dressing and then rub it. gently caress yeah.

What is it with you people that you constantly have to gently caress up something so simple and pure?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Stringent posted:

What is it with you people that you constantly have to gently caress up something so simple and pure?

He is a gigantic, slow roll troll. Don't mind him.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It's not just him though, youtube is littered with assholes poking syringes into pork butts. I don't understand what's so difficult about just putting the drat things on the smoker and leaving them alone.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Stringent posted:

I got you

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Comes a bbq/smoking thread asking for help and tips and everyone in this thread recommends spending $10 on a pork butt because you can't gently caress them up. He ignores all the advice given and smokes a mystery pork cut and then spends $75 2.5 pounds of beef and soaks it with A1.

Cashier gives an unsolicited recommendation of a pork butt and buys it immediately. Was she at least cute? How are you going to break this to your parents that you're cooking a butt. BUTT!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Pellet cookers are for girls. Charcoal/splits 4 lyfe

Every time I even get the thought of a pellet cooker in my head, I look at how much charcoal I could buy for that amount of money, and it all goes right out the window.

That said, anyone got any cool pork belly recipes?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Stringent posted:

It's not just him though, youtube is littered with assholes poking syringes into pork butts. I don't understand what's so difficult about just putting the drat things on the smoker and leaving them alone.

Alright fine I won’t inject it then.

Jerk.

atothesquiz posted:

Comes a bbq/smoking thread asking for help and tips and everyone in this thread recommends spending $10 on a pork butt because you can't gently caress them up. He ignores all the advice given and smokes a mystery pork cut and then spends $75 2.5 pounds of beef and soaks it with A1.

Cashier gives an unsolicited recommendation of a pork butt and buys it immediately. Was she at least cute? How are you going to break this to your parents that you're cooking a butt. BUTT!

Man you are just impossible.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 1, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBS!!

After applying the rub.

The recipe said to make lengthwise incisions along the bones on the backside of each rack to make it easier to pull the bones. I got my dad to do that while I was setting up the grill, but he is an idiot and cut them on the MEAT side instead because he is an idiot. He also made the cuts deeper than I told him to. Hopefully the ribs won’t completely fall to pieces now. :ohdear:

On the Egg.

It was 4 PM by the time I got them on, because I started 2 hours later than I wanted to (because I slept in and had errands to run beforehand that took longer than expected). So I ate these tonight while my folks will be eating them tomorrow, which I guess is fine cuz I’ll be gone all day tomorrow anyway.

The ribs smoked for 2 hours and change. Meanwhile, I made sauce!

Recipe called for “Sambuca or other anise-flavored liqueur”; I didn’t have any of that so I used my dad’s cheap Canadian whisky instead.

The sauce tastes awesome. Sweet, smokey, and has a kick but isn’t too hot. It actually tastes kinda like actual McRib sauce, although I haven’t eaten a McRib in at least a decade so my recollection of that taste isn’t the best.

Time to put the ribs in the foil.

...... wait, those aren’t ribs... those are kitties that smelled ribs and got curious about what I was doing. :3:

Okay, here’s the ribs.

Before wrapping them in foil, I had to sprinkle them with brown sugar, dot them with pads of butter (which were highly melted when I put them on), and drizzle 2 Tbsp of apple juice per rack to make steam.

Here they are wrapped.

The kitties were trying to steal the butter slices off my plate, so I let them lick the plate when I was done. :3: :3: :3:

One and a half hours later, I unwrapped the ribs and set up the grill for direct grilling, being careful to keep the ribs from just completely disintegrating as I took them out and put them back on the grill. This was...... tricky.

We also grilled some vegetable skewers.

The fam was getting hungry so I had to rush these.

Sauce Time!

The smoke was so thick I had to wear safety goggles during this part.

MEANWHILE...

:3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

Ribs are done!

Sorry, the flash coupled with all of the smoke made this pic and the next one super blurry.

Time to toast the bread. We buttered both loaves of bread and rubbed garlic on them. :getin:

Now uh... you might remember from my earlier posts that I was gonna turn these into homemade rib sandwiches, but uhhhhhhhh...... that didn’t work out. Due to a combination of being grilled too long and some serious fire flare-ups (the fire actually lept above the grate a few times), the bottoms of the ribs ended up being burned black. The bones crumbled apart when I touched them, meaning I couldn’t pull them out of the meat (not sure how different that would’ve been if we’d cut the undersides like we were supposed to before putting them on), so no sandwiches. Also the bones I could wiggle out didn’t fall out easily like they were supposed to, probably because of the cutting thing and because I didn’t raise the temp during the foil phase to make steam happen.

gently caress. :negative:

The meat still tastes hella good though, as do the veggies and the bread (and the sauce). Overall 6/10 would smoke again but fuuuuuuck I wish I could’ve kept them from burning up.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Please stop

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What?

Y’all told me to post pics. I’m posting pics.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 1, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Did you slice the ribs between the bones before putting them on, or what's going on there?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sort of, yeah.

The recipe said to make lengthwise incisions along the bones on the backside of each rack to make it easier to pull the bones. I got my dad to do that while I was setting up the grill, but he is an idiot and cut them on the MEAT side instead because he is an idiot. He also made the cuts deeper than I told him to.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What?

We told you a lot of things.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Me: drat. 13 posts in the smoking thread. Gotta be Gitmo.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What?

You literally cremated those ribs.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
So funny

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I have bad news, those lengthwise incisions you cut into the back of the ribs are actually on the front of the ribs.

The cuts are meant to break the silverskin that is found over the bones on the back, which can curl up when cooking. If you removed the silverskin then the cuts are not necessary, but since you didn't mention that anywhere I assume it's still there.

hth: https://www.finecooking.com/article/how-to-remove-silverskin-from-ribs

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 1, 2018

F
Nov 6, 2005

What?

Are you a sex offender mate?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Veggies look good tho

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Subjunctive posted:

Sort of, yeah.

Guess I missed that. I guess there may be some arcane secret to slicing them on the bone-side for some reason, but ribs are so thin that trying to get ~MORE SURFACE AREA FOR SMOKE~ seems supremely retarded since they're cooking the same time as non-sliced ones, so I'm assuming the recipe is from some dude that furiously masturbates to being against the grain and "thinking outside the box" or whatever.

Veggies actually look pretty dope.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I have never once sliced the bone side or the top of my ribs... Granted I do remove the silver skin if it is not already removed by the butcher.

All I can say it that you did your veggie skewers right but making each skewer all the same veggie so they can cook evenly. I hate seeing pics of people who mix veggies and meat on a single skewer (i did it when i was dumb) because things don't cook at the same speed. Though I would left them on a minute longer to get that good char.

For the onions I would have just done some big thick onion slices. A little EVOO and throw on the grill to char. Works out better than the skewer way.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't blame anyone for not reading it all, but he wanted the cuts to be made on the bone side because he wanted to pull the bones out and turn it into a mcrib sandwich.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You gotta pressure cook for that.

I did a butt in the webber and while the temp and cook time were amazing the bark was a bit weak. I need to get one of those cheap steel vacuum kamodos.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Holy gently caress this is incredible, what a thread. I love you all

On another note, I'm doing Meathead's Asian pork belly burnt ends banh mi. I've got a 5lb belly cubed, deskinned and in the rub vacuum sealed in the fridge for the night. Yesssss...

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 1, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

VERTiG0 posted:

Holy gently caress this is incredible, what a thread. I love you all

On another note, I'm doing Meathead's Asian pork belly burnt ends banh mi. I've got a 5lb belly cubed, deskinned and in the rub vacuum sealed in the fridge for the night. Yesssss...

When you guys are looking for pork belly, are you trying for a decent amount of meat compared to fat, or...? I think I have been trying for too much meat in the belly, leading to somewhat tough results. (as bacon)

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Holy poo poo

I have never seen anything done so badly in my life

I'd almost be proud of you if I wasn't so equally confused and horrified

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Stalizard posted:

Holy poo poo

I have never seen anything done so badly in my life

I'd almost be proud of you if I wasn't so equally confused and horrified

Sad waste of pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Guys I cooked the best burger I've ever tried tonight. The Sweet and Spicy Jalapeno Bacon Burger:

I highly recommend.