Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i've only ever seen the notion of ~are sovereignty~ used to support real nationalistic/xenophobic bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
national sovereignty allowed antidemocratic things like the capitalist putsch attempts in hungary and czechoslovakia, sovereignty is nationalist by nature.

HorrificExistence has issued a correction as of 19:47 on May 27, 2018

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

volkerball deserves a lot of poo poo but i respect him for just out and out saying "syria has no sovereignty" that was real cool to just say outright, like that. too many people who definitely believe that tiptoe around the issue in a gross pantomime of diplomacy. nah. gently caress that nation. it looked at me funny.

i'm being serious.

I'll give the guy some respect when he starts appying that poo poo consistently as opposed to only the neocon target du jour.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

HorrificExistence posted:

you are a liberal idealist

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Guyovich posted:

i remember when i read time magazine in middle school (lol) and they posted a picture of al-sadr in an iraq story with black cleric robes and narrowed eyebrows clearly trying to make him look evil and my only thought was "this guy appears to be rad as poo poo"

i saw that or a similar picture of him in high school and it really positively impacted me at that age to see someone i resembled in such a position of power

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sovereignty is a reactionary as gently caress idea that basically only works if you are a liberal idealist. Nation-states are a fictional entity dreamed up to support capital, they have no rights to hold their population. The idea that authority is bound to territory and nationality makes world revolution impossible.

Nationality (and hence national sovereignty) is a innate value judgment that cannot coexist with true democracy.

and that's why it is good and just and proper that the US claims the right to rule literally the entire world without regard for silly things like "the objections of local governments" or "the objections of people who don't want to die for US military profits"

THS
Sep 15, 2017

if everyone else were to act like there is no such thing as sovereignty, a high ideal, while the united states runs roughshod over the world with military bases and drones, then all you do is validate an imperial hegemony

that’s already happened. you’re making an anarchist argument in a world where embracing that theoretical logic will destroy any notion of local power

you’re a dumbass horrificexistence

it’s not an argument over the philosophical legitimacy of the concept of the nation state and national identity, it’s a view of how power currently works in a world of constant aggressive intervention and domination by an empire

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
The powerful will always just ignore your notion of "local power" anyway. Ideas alone cannot bring the hegemon down, instead, we need decadence and a critical mass of widows and orphans.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I'll take the decadence and the widows.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The powerful will always just ignore your notion of "local power" anyway. Ideas alone cannot bring the hegemon down, instead, we need decadence and a critical mass of widows and orphans.

you’re really loving dumb and awful

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Yandat posted:

you’re really loving dumb and awful

okay, whats your plan to destroy amerika then?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

voting for donald trump again in 2020

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Lol, fishmech is in MEE thread.

Hand you over to the Lion of Syria.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/BarzanSadiq/status/1002062574861643779

pick your side twitter leftists. The far right dictator or the communist revolutionaries.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

national sovereignty allowed antidemocratic things like the capitalist putsch attempts in hungary and czechoslovakia, sovereignty is nationalist by nature.

National sovereignty is important because people like HorrificExistence exist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fishmech's logic is sort of like if someone just completely ignored all information and context in the world aside from solid 100% clear facts. Like if you took the folks who claim stuff isn't racism unless it's super explicit and applied their logic to literally everything.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Fishmech's logic is sort of like if someone just completely ignored all information and context in the world aside from solid 100% clear facts. Like if you took the folks who claim stuff isn't racism unless it's super explicit and applied their logic to literally everything.

he's the most obtuse and ethically void person you can talk to on this lovely website, like interacting with a romulan with severe autism

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Yandat posted:

he's the most obtuse and ethically void person you can talk to on this lovely website, like interacting with a romulan with severe autism

Having just finished DS9.

:drat:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/BarzanSadiq/status/1002062574861643779

pick your side twitter leftists. The far right dictator or the communist revolutionaries.

Enough! I side with.... Evropa

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

lol if you think fishmech cares about the facts as opposed to his personal preconceptions.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
imvho ban all posters from posting in any Middle East discussion threads on the forums except Fishmech, HorrificExistence, Volkerball, a resurrected Human Grand Prix, and that one guy whose gimmick is fakeposting cartoonish support as like a Kurdish Marxist. Watch them all engage in futile, farcical, and incomprehensible chaos in a hell simulation modeled after the Syrian Civil War.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

https://www.channel4.com/news/inside-ghouta-as-syrian-government-fully-controls-damascus-for-the-first-time-in-seven-years

BBC is starting to get more honest about the rebels now that it's clear the government is going to win the war. Interviews with people in East Ghouta all say the same thing, they had lots of foreign fighters, tortured people who wouldn't be pressed to fight for them, and killed anyone that tried to leave.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That's not the bbc

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

That's not the bbc

It's real confusing when you have both a Channel 4 and a BBC 4

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.channel4.com/news/inside-ghouta-as-syrian-government-fully-controls-damascus-for-the-first-time-in-seven-years

BBC is starting to get more honest about the rebels now that it's clear the government is going to win the war. Interviews with people in East Ghouta all say the same thing, they had lots of foreign fighters, tortured people who wouldn't be pressed to fight for them, and killed anyone that tried to leave.

they'll never take back Idlib, there are literally turkish troops deployed there. Syria's still gonna end up partitioning.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I could see Assad trading Idlib for Turkish annexation of Afrin.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also, for "Turkish troops deployed there" to mean anything they actually have to shoot at government forces.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I could see Assad trading Idlib for Turkish annexation of Afrin.

Dont alot of turkmen live in idlib?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah, It's why they've kept arming them. Turks hate arabs too, so it is much more politically popular to arm another Turkic people.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lawman 0 posted:

They could just as easily live in Afrin, since all the Arab refugees Turkey is trying to settle there don't like stealing Kurdish homes.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah, It's why they've kept arming them. Turks hate arabs too, so it is much more politically popular to arm another Turkic people.

Maybe they should just split it I dunno

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real Turkic peoples are borat, not the fake rear end pretenders in turkey

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They could just as easily live in Afrin, since all the Arab refugees Turkey is trying to settle there don't like stealing Kurdish homes.

That's probably the endgame isn't it? :sigh:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

paul_soccer10 posted:

Real Turkic peoples are borat, not the fake rear end pretenders in turkey

very nice

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
fishmech has been given a month and ban lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer