Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like yeah give it a year and some more testing and I bet they would allow the Bracers. They are really useful.

But currently they are new, an unfair advantage, and a shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I enjoyed Sasuke's surprised reaction to Bort already knowing that friends are good.

Also they stole all of poor Sarada's animation to give to Mitsuki. That early cut of Sarada and sand guy twitching at each other while sparks appear in midair was hilarious.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 1, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

I enjoyed Sasuke's surprised reaction to Bort already knowing that friends are good.

even after multiple savage beatings sasuke's definition of friend is more like casual acquaintance you cross the street to avoid talking to. perhaps more beatings are in order?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I didn't think I'd follow this series for 60 whole episodes but wow, the last few minutes of the most recent ep were actually really good. I never watched the movie that this apparently covers, so I'm hoping that things continue to be Fail-Son: The Animated Series and not a return to all of the late-Naruto garbage that the next episode preview is looking to be.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Jesus gently caress, I did not expect ANY of that poo poo to happen, especially with Naruto himself doing that.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
it’s a bummer this has looked worse than the movie cause the changes they made in this ep were really good

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Umbreon posted:

Jesus gently caress, I did not expect ANY of that poo poo to happen, especially with Naruto himself doing that.

I'm glad this episode continued the mixed emotions regarding the actions of the protagonists that the last episode or two had. Naruto revealing his son to be a cheater in front of everyone is a great, grand gesture that is completely in character but gently caress if it didn't destroy Boruto to have him do it so publicly. Especially when Katasuki turns out to be using him afterwards. Shikadai pleading with Boruto for it not to be true that he did it against him is great too. I assume there'll be no fall out from this for a few episodes while the world threatening poo poo plays out, but I hope we get some eventually because I want to see how Shikadai, Shinki and both his other friends and the other villages react too. And even to the Otsotsuki stuff to a degree, because I saw what I assume is a scene from the movie on Youtube ages back, with Boruto talking to the 9 tails, and the 9 tails explaining to Boruto why his dad was actually kind of a cool guy even if Boruto doesn't believe it and all the poo poo Naruto went through; and I'm looking forward to seeing it happen in context.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/1005957651254206464?s=19

hey guys is there a Boroto manga thread?:v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, because it sucks and no one reads it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Race Realists posted:

hey guys is there a Boroto manga thread?:v:

Nobody cares about the manga, just watch the anime instead.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh wow really?

A rare thing for this Franchise as its usually the opposite

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Race Realists posted:

oh wow really?

A rare thing for this Franchise as its usually the opposite

The anime is really good and has been covering stuff that's not in the manga. Definitely worth a watch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Umbreon posted:

The anime is really good and has been covering stuff that's not in the manga. Definitely worth a watch

Honestly, despite getting bogged down with excessive filler I've generally always preferred the Naruto anime to the manga as it just feels like the writers seem to have a better handle on the characters than Kishimoto himself did.

In the anime Tenten actually got some development/focus, it expanded on some stuff the manga just kind of glossed over such as the relationship between Anko and Orochimaru, most of the fight scenes look so much better in motion, and the end of the Naruto Vs Sasuke fight in Shippuden was really well done in my opinion (right down to offering a believable explanation as to why the two of them could be considered friends).

Hell, there's even been a few cases where some previously anime-exclusive characters wound up getting canonized later in the manga (Raiga and the Uchiha cats for example, not sure if there were any others).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 11, 2018

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Nah it's good, but monthly releases suck. See Vinland or Berserk.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wonder if we'll get another big chunk of anime original stuff before they start catching up to the manga

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is the show doing alright? I stopped watching around ten or twelve, just kind of feel by the wayside for me. I have a little more time now and was thinking of picking it up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Is the show doing alright? I stopped watching around ten or twelve, just kind of feel by the wayside for me. I have a little more time now and was thinking of picking it up.

Yes, the Boruto anime is probably the best thing to come out of this franchise since the Springtime of Youth manga. It's definitely worth a watch in my opinion.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blockhouse posted:

I wonder if we'll get another big chunk of anime original stuff before they start catching up to the manga

Given how much it's diverging in terms of characterization does it even need to keep to the same storyline? Would it even be noticeable if they did filler, since the anime stuff can just continue doing their own spin on the characters and any changes they wish to make to their personality, techniques etc. without worrying about what the manga is doing and just wrap back around to whatever official story the manga introduces later on when they're done with their own stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

tsob posted:

Given how much it's diverging in terms of characterization does it even need to keep to the same storyline? Would it even be noticeable if they did filler, since the anime stuff can just continue doing their own spin on the characters and any changes they wish to make to their personality, techniques etc. without worrying about what the manga is doing and just wrap back around to whatever official story the manga introduces later on when they're done with their own stuff.

I mean they're changing the movie plot specifically to set up poo poo from the manga so...yeah? Probably?

It's the same head writer on both I imagine he's doing what he's doing.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

It's Naruto, but good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like the show took a hit in both writing and animation in the post-genin arcs but their version of the movie has been much better in terms of writing, and there are one-off episodes that are good like the game dev one. so there's really only been a lull for five or six episodes in the...40s/50s? and there's plenty of great stuff between the first ten episodes and that.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like yeah give it a year and some more testing and I bet they would allow the Bracers. They are really useful.

But currently they are new, an unfair advantage, and a shortcut.

Yeah. Hey remember when his dad won a bunch of contests with a jug full of sand and magic ghost wombat jizz. Oh yeah, and that guy who is literally a hive full of angry bugs. The ninja rulebook is weirdly specific about what's an unfair advantage.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah. Hey remember when his dad won a bunch of contests with a jug full of sand and magic ghost wombat jizz.

No? What's this referring to again?

Spanish Matlock posted:

Oh yeah, and that guy who is literally a hive full of angry bugs. The ninja rulebook is weirdly specific about what's an unfair advantage.

Not really. The bracer is an unfair advantage because it allows Boruto to do things he's never trained for without using any of his own chakra so that it doesn't cost him anything to do so, while everyone else uses their own stamina to power techniques they've had to train to use at the level they use it at. Including Naruto (whatever technique you're referring to) and Shino.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's like bringing a motorcycle to a high school track meet

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

tsob posted:

No? What's this referring to again?

Naruto vs Gaara, which was indeed considered a fair fight because ain't no rule says jinchuurikis can't be ninjas.

I don't get what's so hard about understanding the bracer. When Naruto got Sage Mode, they established a "No Sage Mode" rule.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's like why in math classes they want you to show your work and don't allow calculators or in higher level math allow a scientific calculator but not a graphing calculator.

They are testing you on your ability, not on your access to tech.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HitTheTargets posted:

Naruto vs Gaara, which was indeed considered a fair fight because ain't no rule says jinchuurikis can't be ninjas.

I imagine it's more because Jinchuuriki still have to learn to work with their tailed beasts, train any techniques they want to use and use up some stamina to activate those techniques. They might have a stupidly large pool of stamina so that it barely matters in that last case, but they still have to work for the first two and the work is the important part since the exam is all about showing what you've learned anyway. It's not like a bunch of other bloodlines don't grant kids ridiculous stamina or powers anyway.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dexo posted:

It's like why in math classes they want you to show your work and don't allow calculators or in higher level math allow a scientific calculator but not a graphing calculator.

They are testing you on your ability, not on your access to tech.

We were allowed to use our graphing calculators on the SATs/ACTs in the mid-00s. The simple program I whipped up on it to calculate compound interest would probably have been illegal, however, had I actually used it during the test.

It's more like the difference between being allowed a dedicated calculator on a test, and sneaking taps on your smartphone when the proctor isn't looking.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It was a ninja test. Boruto failed because he got caught.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

We were allowed to use our graphing calculators on the SATs/ACTs in the mid-00s. The simple program I whipped up on it to calculate compound interest would probably have been illegal, however, had I actually used it during the test.

It's more like the difference between being allowed a dedicated calculator on a test, and sneaking taps on your smartphone when the proctor isn't looking.

There's basically nothing on the sat that you would be able to game using a normal graphing calculator anyways considering its like algebra and geometry. If you went to the trouble of installing a program you likely understood enough about the topic to do it without.

Boruto brought a thing that let him win easily without any of the training involved to reach that level of ability. If you bring notes to a closed note exam, you're bypassing the requirement of memorizing the information. Sure you don't need everything memorized in the real world, but this is a test, not the real world.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also it was stated ahead of time not to be allowed.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

please drop the new ep early so we can kill the third annual bracer rehash

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

JahRoo posted:

There's basically nothing on the sat that you would be able to game using a normal graphing calculator anyways considering its like algebra and geometry. If you went to the trouble of installing a program you likely understood enough about the topic to do it without.

Boruto brought a thing that let him win easily without any of the training involved to reach that level of ability. If you bring notes to a closed note exam, you're bypassing the requirement of memorizing the information. Sure you don't need everything memorized in the real world, but this is a test, not the real world.

Big power creep but hey I love the video games

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Speaking of which they really need to make some Bort games already. They've got enough characters with big enough movesets to make it interesting now.

I know CC2 is out of the game, but there's gotta be another lowest bidder out there that can start cranking neat poo poo out.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

isn't that new shinobi strikers game supposed to have boruto squads in it? between that and the mobile game it seems like they're starting the transition.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

dogsicle posted:

isn't that new shinobi strikers game supposed to have boruto squads in it? between that and the mobile game it seems like they're starting the transition.

So far I think Team Konohamaru are the only revealed next gen characters in it? Other than that it's just the old gen and some Akatsuki.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The speed at which they're going through the Chuunin exams is crazy. I was scrolling through old Naruto episodes and my god that lasted a long time. There was an episode dedicated to each fight.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I kind of wish they'd given some of the fights a bit more screen time to be honest. I'd have appreciated a bit more of Shikadai versus Boruto, Shinki versus Mitsuki and especially Shinki versus Cho-Cho. She really got shafted, and I'm still annoyed she couldn't ruffle him in the slightest even when she went all out.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

tsob posted:

I kind of wish they'd given some of the fights a bit more screen time to be honest. I'd have appreciated a bit more of Shikadai versus Boruto, Shinki versus Mitsuki and especially Shinki versus Cho-Cho. She really got shafted, and I'm still annoyed she couldn't ruffle him in the slightest even when she went all out.

The fight reminded me of Rock Lee vs Gaara in the first Chuunin exams series. Rock Lee didn't make a dent in him, but then Gaara nearly killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

seiferguy posted:

The fight reminded me of Rock Lee vs Gaara in the first Chuunin exams series. Rock Lee didn't make a dent in him, but then Gaara nearly killed him.

What? Lee pushed through Gaara's supposedly impenetrable automatic sand wall and cracked the sand skin armor he used as a second line of defense. He didn't hurt Gaara overly or anything, but he definitely made a dent in him.