Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

Cracked had a fairly informative article on a guy who sold fakes.

Lord Sexatron has a new favorite as of 22:30 on May 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

What are they up to now? Last sale I heard of a few years ago was in the $30k range but I recall reading a listing for a beta release one of $100k.

It was at one point about $200k but it looks like it's more like $150k

Baronjutter posted:

The anti-counterfeiting on magic cards can't be so flawless that for 50k or 100k the market isn't being flooded with counterfeits.
My buddy is super into magic cards and even printed some of his own semi-professionally and they were totally indistinguishable from the real thing except that he put big red text over the images to make it clear. I asked him if he can make such convincing cards, why not just print his own for his own use and save thousands of dollars a year? But he thought that would be both illegal and immoral.

It's a loving piece of cardboard with some bad art and text on it.

Don't look up Magic Finance. It's basically bitcoins with something tangible. So Beanie Babies. Also you can get super cheap near perfect replicas from China. They will stand up to most scrutiny and honestly in most cases people wouldn't even notice since poo poo is double sleeved. It's people who try and sell that too dumb kids. There is currently an old school tournament 93-94 coming up in Austin that is 100% proxy. It of course is not sanctioned by Hasbro.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lord Sexatron posted:

Rad, this guy is a hero. gently caress every form of "collecting" where it's just a single corporation purposefully creating shortages of incredibly cheap things to make them "rare" for collectors to fool them selves into thinking that makes them valuable. Magic cards have gone on for a while without any sort of bubble popping, but like sports cards and beenie babies it always eventually does pop.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.
MTG finance is lovely and you know what I don't want to talk about it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've been to a lot of ball games, but never seen a fowl strike before.

deoju has a new favorite as of 23:03 on May 31, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

JoelJoel posted:

A friend of mine works at the weather network. They have to close caption everything. Depending if it's live or not they'll have a either a speech to text program do what it can or have a person read everything back real time. Even in the latter you get mistakes.

I was once drinking in a bar that had Nell with Jodie Foster on tv with closed captions. She plays someone raised by wolves or something and her crazy talk was obviously a challenge for the person typing it in. When she’d talk it would pause, then the captioner starts facerolling the keyboard like HNGNGGNLLGGHHHH

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

It's old hat but I don't care. This place has a funny name, dammit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Well they're not wrong.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/unusualvideos/status/1002082165654343680

https://twitter.com/CUTEST_ANlMALS/status/1002033551951441920

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Antioch posted:

Saskatchewan also has Elbow, Eyebrow, Moose Jaw, and Climax.

Newfoundland has Dildo and Come-By-Chance.

Ontario has Crotch Lake and Ball's Falls.

Alberta has Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump.

There's A Song about Newfoundland town names. There was a campaign a while back to change some of the names because they were real weird. I don't think too many people were fond of that and I'm pretty sure Dildo is still Dildo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baronjutter posted:

The anti-counterfeiting on magic cards can't be so flawless that for 50k or 100k the market isn't being flooded with counterfeits.
My buddy is super into magic cards and even printed some of his own semi-professionally and they were totally indistinguishable from the real thing except that he put big red text over the images to make it clear. I asked him if he can make such convincing cards, why not just print his own for his own use and save thousands of dollars a year? But he thought that would be both illegal and immoral.

It's a loving piece of cardboard with some bad art and text on it.

I heard a story from years ago (probably apocryphal) where a fairly organised enterprise hit a whole bunch of Magic stores with good-to-great fakes of the Power Nine. Same day, same story along the lines of "Oh these were my brother's, he's shipped off to Iraq and wanted me to sell them", and the Nine were mixed in with a bunch of normal, real cards that were practically worthless. This was the early 2000s, so of course they all then got onto their discussion forum and said "I just got a great deal on an Alpha Power Nine!", "Oh no poo poo, so did I!", "Oh crazy a dude came in just this morning and sold me a Nine for a great price!". Then the penny dropped and they all realised they'd been had.

Like I said, the story could be made up, but every now and then you hear someone referring to a "Mafia Lotus" because they assume that it must have been the Mafia that did it. I've never seen one and doubt they actually exist, but it's a hell of a story.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Helps to read them in ze frank voice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cavenagh posted:

Michigan's not even trying.

Nah, they just chose poorly. We've got a Climax (close to I-69, even).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And exit 69 onto Big Beaver.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Hirayuki posted:

And exit 69 onto Big Beaver.

I think thats the exit w/ the Hooters!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

gently caress.

Doxxed again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I think thats the exit w/ the Hooters!

Technically the closer exit is Rochester but that wouldn’t be funny. :eng99:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/atdanwhite/status/1002263171837710337?s=21

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Look at that photograph.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Look at that photograph.

This could lead to excellence

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

The Bloop posted:

This could lead to excellence

This is a good deep cut.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

oscarthewilde posted:

It is only through large rims that the immediately undetermined for itself (für sich) existing meaning of the car can be sublimated {aufgehoben) to a higher level and allow the object to not only exist as in and for itself (an und für sich) but also allow the immediately determined subjective consciousness to enter in relation to the car and use it for its own.

lol

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Look at that photograph.

You know, everytime I do it makes me laugh.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lord Sexatron posted:

Boy howdy has this site gone downhill, what on earth happened since I was away? :confused:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Parrotine posted:

Boy howdy has this site gone downhill, what on earth happened since I was away? :confused:

you came back

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Parrotine posted:

They literally fired all the funny people on-staff.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, that, and they covered so much stuff that they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for content.

"Secrets the Stapler Industry Doesn't Want You To Know About"
"Six Reasons That Charlie Korsmo Is A Hollywood Dudebro"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Parrotine posted:

It sounded like "the adpocalypse" meant they just weren't making enough money to keep going as they had been.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They literally fired all the funny people on-staff.

I thought that video was a joke but yeah they don't have any comedy writers anymore. Just boring lists and user created "content"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

quote:

Awful 82%
...gently caress

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah sometime last year Cracked got bought out and the new owners first filled the site with a crazy amount of ads, then fired every funny or interesting staff member and turned the site into a terrible, generic clickbait bonanza with zero effort.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I found an old disassembled CPR dummy at work yesterday and decided to show my wife.

Turns out it's shaped enough like a face for Facebook messenger face filters!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I found an old disassembled CPR dummy at work yesterday and decided to show my wife.

that's.... terrifying

thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Memento posted:

that's.... terrifying

thank you