Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Someone enabled the story mode on the demo. So far it looks like Oak moved to Silent Hills to research more Pokemon, Blue is his assistant, and Silver is the player's neighbor. The player and Silver get asked to go do the Pokemon thing again except this time across all of Japan instead of Kanto. (Going out of bounds finds Daisy in Oak's original lab)

The demo ends at that point and while there are some interesting character placements outside of the little demo area they don't respond to anything.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Waffleman_ posted:

Giovanni Joey would be good though.

It’s the character I never knew I needed.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

The Johto Dex is by far my least favourite but this improves it so much. Glad we lost some cool mons for the additions of... Sunkern... and Wooper.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
if you don't like wooper you're not allowed on this website

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Shneak posted:

The Johto Dex is by far my least favourite but this improves it so much. Glad we lost some cool mons for the addition of Wooper, who was completely worth it.

:wooper::wooper::wooper:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I feel very attacked. When has a Wooper ever helped your Pokemon league career? :colbert:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Shneak posted:

The Johto Dex is by far my least favourite but this improves it so much. Glad we lost some cool mons for the additions of... Sunkern... and Wooper.

Yeah, I was with you until you brought Wooper into this. There are some lines you don't cross.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Shneak posted:

I feel very attacked. When has a Wooper ever helped your Pokemon league career? :colbert:

you’d have to be a sociopath to look at that smile and not have a renewed interest in fighting for what’s right

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shneak posted:

Wooper was adorable from the start, then it evolved into Quagsire and was a core member of my first Gold team.

Quags was my favorite Pokemon until Breloom dropped him to #2, so watch what you say about his pre-evolution. :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Shneak posted:

I'm actually using a ice punch Wooper from Silver in my run through of Ultra Moon. My whole team are actually refugees from Silver after I gave up around the second gym.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Shneak posted:

stfu

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I cannot believe there is someone on this good earth that doesn't like Wooper. It sounds like they need to absorb some Daily Woopers and get back to us with a Wooper-styled smile.

On the subject of making the game "playable", I think that it would be easier to hack that style of map into an existing GSC ROM rather than making this ROM as fleshed out as GSC

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That Pinsir evo is horrifying

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also found out that Pokemon Lets go Pikachu/Eevee will indeed have online battles and trading.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Thanks for the wholesome link friend :unsmith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

:havlat: :havlat: :havlat:

I donn't know how/why this happened

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's interesting to see the development process behind Gold and Silver and seeing the developmental origins of second generation Pokémon and picking out which ones would eventually come to life in a generation later than that and just how close some of those graphics were to the finished product.

But a lot of that stuff looks like jank and I'd rather have the finalized stuff any day over the very first things that came to mind in development.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Shneak posted:

Ask not what Wooper can do for you. Ask what you can do for Wooper.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'm actually using a ice punch Wooper from Silver in my run through of Ultra Moon. My whole team are actually refugees from Silver after I gave up around the second gym.

......wait.....

Open Marriage Night posted:

ice punch Wooper

How....how does Wooper ice punch with no arms?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Star Man posted:

It's interesting to see the development process behind Gold and Silver and seeing the developmental origins of second generation Pokémon and picking out which ones would eventually come to life in a generation later than that and just how close some of those graphics were to the finished product.

But a lot of that stuff looks like jank and I'd rather have the finalized stuff any day over the very first things that came to mind in development.

What’s interesting is that gen 2 is the only “sequel” gen, where so much stuff is dependent on having the previous gen.

At the time gen 3 was pretty weird because it had so much focus on the new stuff. But looking back on what was cut it’s clear that game freak was already trying to shift more in that direction anyway.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Star Man posted:

That's generally what happens in the design process of any work: Ideas are brainstormed but then you find out that some ideas simply don't work or you thought of something better, so they end up getting trimmed away.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Even Wooper doesn't know, but he does anyway.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

......wait.....

Uses his lil noggin as a fist for a big ole ice headbutt

Slaps em' around with his icy antennae

Neither are technically punches in the literal sense but choose whichever is cuter for you

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The voodoo doll and panda vampire are cool. I dub thee Pindoo and Vampanda.

I also super love the little hamster tiger. Get on my team little buddy!

And the bell cat. Bell cats good.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how Qwilfish has basically gone unchanged since the very beginning.

Parrotine posted:

That Pinsir evo is horrifying

It looks like a Pinsir wearing the shed carapace of a Scizor.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Animon was gonna be a steel type!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ROFL Octopus posted:

What’s interesting is that gen 2 is the only “sequel” gen, where so much stuff is dependent on having the previous gen.

At the time gen 3 was pretty weird because it had so much focus on the new stuff. But looking back on what was cut it’s clear that game freak was already trying to shift more in that direction anyway.

Early Pokémon is just this weird amalgamation of things that managed to work because 151 creatures with super powers and additional 100 of them really captured a lot of hearts and minds.

The thing that I find the most surprising is that over twenty years, the main games have just been very consistent with their mechanics and how Pokémon grow. You can have only ever played Red and Blue and decide that you're going to play Ultra Moon and things will be mostly the same. A Fire Stone will always make Eevee turn into Flareon. A strong bond with your Eevee will make it evolve into an Espeon in the daytime or an Umbreon at night. Some games make adjustments to those things to suit their needs or mechanics, but things don't change so radically that Pokémon grow in a completely different way than they did in the last generation.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Star Man posted:

A Fire Stone will always make Eevee turn into Flareon. A strong bond with your Eevee will make it evolve into an Espeon in the daytime or an Umbreon at night.

The funniest part about this is that the trend was originally going to continue, with the removed Poison Stone.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's still really odd that Gen 2 introduced the Sun Stone and you can't evolve Eevee into Espeon with it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/heyshanmurphy/status/1002369200516747264

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Funky Valentine posted:

It's still really odd that Gen 2 introduced the Sun Stone and you can't evolve Eevee into Espeon with it.

From the proto stuff, they were originally going to all use stones, with the Heart Stone for Espeon, Poison Stone for Umbreon, and Leaf Stone for an Early Leafeon. The Sun Stone didn't exist yet from what I can tell, and neither did friendship, with babies evolving at a low level. I think I would have preferred all of that to what we got, especially in Leafeon's case.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AlphaKretin posted:

From the proto stuff, they were originally going to all use stones, with the Heart Stone for Espeon, Poison Stone for Umbreon, and Leaf Stone for an Early Leafeon. The Sun Stone didn't exist yet from what I can tell, and neither did friendship, with babies evolving at a low level. I think I would have preferred all of that to what we got, especially in Leafeon's case.

From what I can tell, dark and steel didn’t exist at this point, nor did happiness, nor did day or night.

It’s kind of interesting to know all of that was added after espeon and umbreon were finalized. As a kid I thought they were a mind-blowing showcase of all that was new.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dark and Steel existed, Twinz and Anchorage are an example of each.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ROFL Octopus posted:

It’s kind of interesting to know all of that was added after espeon and umbreon were finalized. As a kid I thought they were a mind-blowing showcase of all that was new.

I thought that evolving Magnemite and Diglett involved having three each of them when I was twelve.

AlphaKretin posted:

Dark and Steel existed, Twinz and Anchorage are an example of each.

Or, you know, Skarmory and Steelix.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ROFL Octopus posted:

From what I can tell, dark and steel didn’t exist at this point, nor did happiness, nor did day or night.

This is correct, and related to the previous Wooper discussion- Happiness did not, in fact, exist before him.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
As a kid I tried over and over to get a Slowbro by putting a Slowpoke and a Shellder in the daycare.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dizz posted:

Animon was gonna be a steel type!

Nope, still Normal despite its evolution method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It evolves with metal coat so I guess it’s a like a liquid metal T-1000 kinda thing. Rad