Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's much better than dark soul 2 or 3 imo

Awesome! posted:

1 is definitely worth playing. dont hide behind a shield, 2hand or dual wield

dual wielding doesn't really work in this game. it's pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Top Gun posted:

the guy kicking the other guy off the cliff is a homage to 300 right?

The 300 film is no doubt what ubi are using to keep the game historically accurate.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

acksplode posted:

DS1's world design is the best in the series and possibly of all games. Worth playing for that alone IMO

World design is big for me in those games. I thought 2 had some of the coolest places in the series even though 3 and BB are all around much better.

Sounds like I’m getting 1. I wanted to wait it out on switch but “summer” and no details otherwise is lame. Nintendo is dropping the ball for me these last few months.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Manatee Cannon posted:

i did choose 2h myself

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's much better than dark soul 2 or 3 imo

Except having a Parrying Dagger in your offhand.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's not the same thing and you know it. having a catalyst or flame in the offhand slot is also a good idea tho

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I played the games in the order: Bloodborne – DS2 – DS3 – (got a PS3) – Demon's Souls – Dark Souls

I definitely think DS1 is my favorite behind BB. It feels better, and the connectivity of the world is really cool. The lack of fast-travel early on kinda sucks, but it really does make a difference.

Demon's was cool to play later on, but felt a lot different and more frustrating than the others. I don't love it as much as the die-hards but I'd love to see a remake.

So definitely get DS1R if you haven't played it. There's no time like the present, especially with the big MP population if you're into that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm a big fan of shields and I disapprove all the previous posts

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Rolo posted:

World design is big for me in those games. I thought 2 had some of the coolest places in the series even though 3 and BB are all around much better.

Sounds like I’m getting 1. I wanted to wait it out on switch but “summer” and no details otherwise is lame. Nintendo is dropping the ball for me these last few months.

1 is a must play then. Every other soulsborne game relies on fast travel and is worse off for it imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samuringa posted:

Turtling is like the third or fourth best strat anyway. It's way easier to just wave your zweihander around and two shot everything in the entire game.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I hated Dark Souls and thought it was an awful followup to Demon's's's. Then I went out and bought the remaster for some reason. 7 years later and I still hate it. I feel like Strength+dex build isn't viable in the early game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you should have a shield even if you never use it. everyone should have a grass crest shield on their back if nothing else

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rolo posted:

Should I get Dark Souls remastered or is the fact that I’ve already played 2,3 and BloodBorne going to make me unimpressed?

I haven’t played any of 1.

Yea, absolutely, if you've never played it (or like, spent hours reading up on the lore/game progression etc.) It may feel a bit antiquated compared to Dark Souls 3, but not enough to do any major harm to your enjoyment of the game. You'll probably enjoy it even more than if you had played it when it first came out, since it'll feel like a prequel. Also the framerate won't suck poo poo half the time.

Oh, and don't bother getting it on Switch. It's locked at 720p30 (which is fine, really, but why bother when you have a 4k60 alternative option?) and the benefit of portability in a game like Dark Souls seems lost, to me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is it even blighttown at >15fps?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

is it even blighttown at >15fps?

Its too easy to stand on the vines and precarious places when you arent lurching around.
1/10 want refund

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

enojy posted:

and the benefit of portability in a game like Dark Souls seems lost, to me.

Same as any other game, you can play it portably

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Yeah shields are fun. I don't like turtling but it's fun to have a shield on your back and whip it out when you feel like it. They look cool and the clanking of swords against shields is good poo poo. No idea what people are always on about with Dark Souls and shields. maybe it's a misguided machismo thing.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I have not played Origins but will be interested to see how they gloss over the Apothetae or Krypteia, among other things. Even if Origins was good, I kinda can't forgive the series for taking so many interesting historical periods and poisoning the well with boring as gently caress games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah shields are fun. I don't like turtling but it's fun to have a shield on your back and whip it out when you feel like it. They look cool and the clanking of swords against shields is good poo poo. No idea what people are always on about with Dark Souls and shields. maybe it's a misguided machismo thing.

Cause they like bloodborne and that means shields are a joke.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
There's room enough for both styles. I love the deliberate feel that shields bring to Dark Souls combat. I love Nioh's frenetic dash-based combat.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There's room enough for both styles. I love the deliberate feel that shields bring to Dark Souls combat. I love Nioh's frenetic dash-based combat.

DS2 is the sweet spot for all builds being viable and balanced. But DS isn't far behind.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

WARNING: do not play Detroit it you have self loathing issues because while the quick time events are mostly forgiving, toward the end if you screw one up because you have the reaction time of a half dead sloth it puts your game in a situation where you have to do horrible things to your favorite characters. :smith:

I understand they don’t want to make it a big CYOA but it makes you feel like poo poo just because you hit the wrong goddamn button.

I still love it and I don’t think I’ve been as emotionally invested in a game in a very long time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Origins was so so good and possibly my favorite open world ever. I can’t wait for this. They have a great base in Origins so it should hopefully be even better. I wonder if we’re getting all new main characters?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

Origins was so so good and possibly my favorite open world ever. I can’t wait for this. They have a great base in Origins so it should hopefully be even better. I wonder if we’re getting all new main characters?

According to rumors, we are. You get to play as a guy or a girl and customize them.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What's the racing game to get if I don't want to take it too seriously? I heard Project Cars is basically unplayable without a wheel and GT Sport is mostly online. Is Driveclub worth it? F1 2017 looks good, but at this point I might as well wait until 2018. Should I just get GT Sport when it goes on sale in a week and deal with it?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Burnout Paradise

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Doctor Zero posted:

WARNING: do not play Detroit it you have self loathing issues because while the quick time events are mostly forgiving, toward the end if you screw one up because you have the reaction time of a half dead sloth it puts your game in a situation where you have to do horrible things to your favorite characters. :smith:

I understand they don’t want to make it a big CYOA but it makes you feel like poo poo just because you hit the wrong goddamn button.

I still love it and I don’t think I’ve been as emotionally invested in a game in a very long time.

This reminds me of the time I killed everyone at the end of a perfect run through Until Dawn with my gf and she was actually pissed off about it lmao. It was 3am, I said I was tired! You cant even push X when prompted!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Doctor Zero posted:

Doesn’t this get rectified by being able to start over from any decision point in the story?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

Doesn’t this get rectified by being able to start over from any decision point in the story?

You can, but I think the point is that some of the ways you can die, or just fail, in Detroit are pretty brutal or cruel.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

man nurse posted:

According to rumors, we are. You get to play as a guy or a girl and customize them.

Oh my god yesssssss

I mean I’ve loved most of the AC characters a lot but I’m a sucker for create a character

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can, but I think the point is that some of the ways you can die, or just fail, in Detroit are pretty brutal or cruel.

One character can get killed a bunch of times so i keep letting it happen

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

One character can get killed a bunch of times so i keep letting it happen

I plan to make a point of my next playthrough to try and get Connor killed in EVERY possible situation he can.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I plan to make a point of my next playthrough to try and get Connor killed in EVERY possible situation he can.

Do the deaths cause his instability to rise? I can’t remember. I’m watching the gf play through the story again and she’s trying to get his as high as possible asap

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lol everyone turns into a cruel god when given the opportunity

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
BTW my roommate has his own secondary account in my PS4. I want to transfer his saved games to a USB drive so that I can upgrade the hard drive. Is the PS4 seriously requiring a PSN account to freaking copy saved games to usb?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Lol everyone turns into a cruel god when given the opportunity

The stats show that everyone is a bunch of peaceful weenies surprisingly.

Not me though man. Erbody dead. Not on purpose though lol apparently I’m just bad at games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Steve Yun posted:

Is the PS4 seriously requiring a PSN account to freaking copy saved games to usb?

Yes, because for Reasons (probably Security) they need to match accounts on the target and destination systems.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Weird, the part in Knack 2 where you see what your PSN friends got from chests doesn't seem to show anything. I wonder if it's bugged

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Achmed Jones posted:

Burnout Paradise

Absolutely, I've seen this as cheap as $25 lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do the deaths cause his instability to rise? I can’t remember. I’m watching the gf play through the story again and she’s trying to get his as high as possible asap

I think it actually decreases his instability, because "not all the data is recovered" or something like that. Mostly I just want to see if it's possible just for shits and giggles.