Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Somewhere in that MRI is a valve, or several valves, that keep the helium inside.

Open them.

*Don't open them as this will cause property damage in the 6 or 7 digits and probably kill, at a minimum, the patient if not other bystanders.

https://astroengine.com/2008/10/18/lhc-quench-ripped-magnets-from-concrete-floor/

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They brake checked a fully loaded semi.

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot

Mr. Apollo posted:

No brake checking involved. Probably distracted driving, txt'ing or something.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/three-tractor-trailers-involved-in-accident-on-i-20-one-person-killed/434341296

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error

Mr. Apollo posted:

The brake-checking is viral social media BS.

quote:

Investigators from the Georgia State Highway Patrol indicate that a tractor-trailer lost control on eastbound Interstate 20, colliding with the back of another 18-wheeler at a high speed. The second truck was pushed forward into the pickup truck, crushing it. The second semi-truck’s momentum was not entirely stopped by the collision with the pickup and it moved forward, colliding with a third semi-truck that went on to hit a fourth. Indeed, it appears the pickup truck’s driver was only guilty of attempting to share the road with a series of 18-wheelers, as there was no evidence of recklessness on his part.
Driver and passenger in the truck were killed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

So a tractor trailer hit a tractor trailer hard enough that the first tractor trailer hit both the pickup truck and yet another tractor trailer in front of that pickup. If I wasn't afraid of driving between tractor trailers already, I would sure as hell be now. I'm honestly shocked that something that looks like that heap used to be a pickup truck.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A video in where colin furze makes a bicycle out of springs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39uwTykTQk

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Goddamn is that man annoying.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

i do not understand why we've settled on "frantic screaming" as the necessary youtube personality voice but it sure is a thing

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!

shame on an IGA posted:

Somewhere in that MRI is a valve, or several valves, that keep the helium inside.

Open them.

*Don't open them as this will cause property damage in the 6 or 7 digits and probably kill, at a minimum, the patient if not other bystanders.

https://astroengine.com/2008/10/18/lhc-quench-ripped-magnets-from-concrete-floor/

The service engineer told us he was going to go down with his boy to our oldest poo poo magnet site to work on some graphite ring involving the helium system. He said they would have to let the helium slowly boil off so that it is low enough for them to do whatever and it carried a nonzero risk of a runaway quench occurring if it drops too low. We told him we have our fingers crossed that he causes a quench.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm really disappointed he didn't knock out a bunch if teeth. Skipped ahead to watch about 20 secs of him riding the thing and that was more than I could bear.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/ROCK_108/status/1002178966013214720

laff

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FCKGW posted:

the first couple of seconds of this video triggered my "here's my purse just please don't hurt me" reflex

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Don't park like a jerk on the docks, i guess.

https://i.imgur.com/CjTCRJW.mp4

How long could you do this for before the kingpin sheared off? I mean, I know they're 90mm thick steel, but still, the full weight of the prime mover hanging off it at that angle isn't exactly what it was designed for.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

Don't park like a jerk on the docks, i guess.

https://i.imgur.com/CjTCRJW.mp4

Someone has found the place where the mother truck is nursing the baby trucks.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

FCKGW posted:

Man hooks up an RC car motor to his shredder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Na1hDZvu5Q

This is the best modification. Hopefully it doesn't overheat after five pages like most office shredders you can buy.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Unfortunately, no pictures, but I was just reminded of the pastor that did the marriage service for my friend some years ago.

He was the sweetest guy you've ever met. About 80 years old. He had two jobs. One was to be the pastor at the local church, the other was being a steeple-jack.

This 80 year old dude would climb any steeple that needed repair with just ropes and a bosun's chair. Just the plain plank and a couple ropes kind. No harness. Never a worry in the world. He took care of any steeple work needed within the entire county and parts beyond.

He was a tiny frail looking fellow, but, apparently, he had absolutely no fear of heights.

Imagine the below video (the pastors work would have been less than 100 feet up of course, these are small towns) but being done by a guy that you would ask if he needed help just seeing him walk down the street. No gear. No harness, no helmet. Just a rope around his waist and the bosun's chair to sit in once he's got the ropes in the right place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvxmz-hb5eA

The guy in the video looks positively safe compared to an old man swinging on a rope.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

BattleMaster posted:

the first couple of seconds of this video triggered my "here's my purse just please don't hurt me" reflex

Sounds like you could use some inspiration to nut up and protect your poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NOdkMRniig

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/themadstone/status/1002211597346050049

The lava coming out is now hitting temperatures of 1200°C. For reference lava in this area generally ranges from 650-870°C. It's also blasting up to 80m in the air.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get your piping hot lava here!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The spiciest keychain.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/themadstone/status/1002211597346050049

The lava coming out is now hitting temperatures of 1200°C. For reference lava in this area generally ranges from 650-870°C. It's also blasting up to 80m in the air.

So what does this mean for the big picture, in simple terms?

It's been three years since I went back to school in the US for a marketing degree, and the US education system made me take a Geological Disasters 112 class.

Is poo poo not going to stop, or is it going to get worse, or what's the background of this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's nice, toasty and runny.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So what does this mean for the big picture, in simple terms?

It's been three years since I went back to school in the US for a marketing degree, and the US education system made me take a Geological Disasters 112 class.

Is poo poo not going to stop, or is it going to get worse, or what's the background of this?

At the moment it's just really interesting and really hot. The fact that it's coming straight up off the mantle with no dwell time means that it's going to be pretty neat from a research point of view, because getting samples that haven't sat senescent in a magma chamber for however-many-years gives us more insight into the mantle composition.

As far getting worse or not stopping is concerned there's just not enough information to make a call like that at the moment. It could be that because it's coming straight off the mantle we could be seeing a shift in the type of periodic volcanism that has dominated the area for the past ~81 million years. Pulses of magma in chambers have given rise to the Hawaiian–Emperor seamount chain. Switching to a constant flow off the mantle has been theorised as being the start of the formation of a Large Igneous Province. It could also be that this is enough to bring all the hottest magma off the mantle and give it a rest for the next several thousand years.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sagebrush posted:

i do not understand why we've settled on "frantic screaming" as the necessary youtube personality voice but it sure is a thing

Can't hear the evil voices in my head when I'm screaming.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mostlygray posted:

Unfortunately, no pictures, but I was just reminded of the pastor that did the marriage service for my friend some years ago.

He was the sweetest guy you've ever met. About 80 years old. He had two jobs. One was to be the pastor at the local church, the other was being a steeple-jack.

This 80 year old dude would climb any steeple that needed repair with just ropes and a bosun's chair. Just the plain plank and a couple ropes kind. No harness. Never a worry in the world. He took care of any steeple work needed within the entire county and parts beyond.

He was a tiny frail looking fellow, but, apparently, he had absolutely no fear of heights.

Imagine the below video (the pastors work would have been less than 100 feet up of course, these are small towns) but being done by a guy that you would ask if he needed help just seeing him walk down the street. No gear. No harness, no helmet. Just a rope around his waist and the bosun's chair to sit in once he's got the ropes in the right place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvxmz-hb5eA

The guy in the video looks positively safe compared to an old man swinging on a rope.
He's just getting closer to god.

quote:

On 19 September 2008, during powering tests of the main dipole circuit in sector 3-4 of the LHC, an electrical fault occurred resulting in mechanical damage and release of helium from the magnet cold mass. Proper safety procedures were in force, safety systems performed as expected, and no one was put at risk. An ad hoc task force was set up on 22 September 2008 to investigate the incident,
How do you get as far as "An ad hoc task force" and still not end up with a real life syfy original series :mad:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

That's Colin's inside voice. Safety tie doesn't cut it for earpro.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, but you see the submarine-grade steel didn't shear which means that you don't get cut climbing out of the wreck.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:eyepop:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Man hooks up an RC car motor to his shredder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Na1hDZvu5Q

Speaking of paper shredders, apparently good shredder maintenance is occasionally using lubricate sheets of paper on them.

You can buy these sheets, or buy "special" oil, but the internet says if you want to save some money, just use canola oil.

Some quick search engine searches has most of the lifehack stuff specifically recommend canola oil over light machine oil or mineral oil, any reason why?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PhazonLink posted:

Speaking of paper shredders, apparently good shredder maintenance is occasionally using lubricate sheets of paper on them.

You can buy these sheets, or buy "special" oil, but the internet says if you want to save some money, just use canola oil.

Some quick search engine searches has most of the lifehack stuff specifically recommend canola oil over light machine oil or mineral oil, any reason why?

I was curios, so I googled 'canola oil lubricate' and that turned out to be a mistake.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol someone's mad

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

spog posted:

I was curios, so I googled 'canola oil lubricate' and that turned out to be a mistake.

PhazonLink, did you destroy your shredder?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Get your piping hot lava here!

Yeah sure until some grandma burns herself, sues and we'll only get lukewarm lava again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah sure until some grandma burns herself, sues and we'll only get lukewarm lava again.
Just put a label on the volcano saying how hot it is. That makes it safe!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

You can get canola oil in convient spray cans. Also it's natural which makes it lifehackier.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zipperelli. posted:

PhazonLink, did you destroy your shredder?

No, and I also wanted to ask this question a few months ago, but I been using light machine oil and everything thing seems fine so far, but whatever maybe some home OSHA will happen.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Memento posted:

At the moment it's just really interesting and really hot. The fact that it's coming straight up off the mantle with no dwell time means that it's going to be pretty neat from a research point of view, because getting samples that haven't sat senescent in a magma chamber for however-many-years gives us more insight into the mantle composition.

As far getting worse or not stopping is concerned there's just not enough information to make a call like that at the moment. It could be that because it's coming straight off the mantle we could be seeing a shift in the type of periodic volcanism that has dominated the area for the past ~81 million years. Pulses of magma in chambers have given rise to the Hawaiian–Emperor seamount chain. Switching to a constant flow off the mantle has been theorised as being the start of the formation of a Large Igneous Province. It could also be that this is enough to bring all the hottest magma off the mantle and give it a rest for the next several thousand years.

Out of interest, how have they established that this magma is coming straight up from the mantle? Do they somehow take ongoing samples from these hellmaws/fissures, or is it some seismic sensor type of deal where they can somehow visualize what's happening?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Out of interest, how have they established that this magma is coming straight up from the mantle? Do they somehow take ongoing samples from these hellmaws/fissures, or is it some seismic sensor type of deal where they can somehow visualize what's happening?

The extreme temperature of it, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Temperature is the main way. They can take samples to confirm it but you can only get so close to an active fissure. They have satellite and airborne thermal cameras to confirm the temperatures, and the closure temperature (when the magma cools enough to close it off from further compositional and isotopic change) of mantle magma has been experimentally determined. So they know how hot something is going to be fresh off the mantle, and comparing it to these they're really, really close. The upwelling magma is probably moving at a rate of 20-25km/day - normally this is in the single digits for even the biggest eruptions. This is never going to be a really explosive eruption like Mount St. Helens or Pompeii, because it's the wrong sort of volcanism, but from the perspective of volume there's going to be a lot of it.