Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
As the only person I know to have backed ORCSTABR, would it be cheating to swap rules/info here? I don't think I'll find anyone else in the East End to swap rules with in pub car parks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
CMON's next KS, Cthulhu: Death May Die, is apparently going to be Eldritch Horror, but without the investigation parts, as designed by Eric Lang and Rob Daviau, and with minis.

Yay.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

glitchkrieg posted:

As the only person I know to have backed ORCSTABR, would it be cheating to swap rules/info here? I don't think I'll find anyone else in the East End to swap rules with in pub car parks...

Same. I may have to back at $10 if that's not kosher

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Same. I may have to back at $10 if that's not kosher

Everybody's gonna get a PDF of the full rules, so having the rules isn't going to be a problem.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Swapping rules here is absolutely encouraged. Also not to spoil any surprises, but there will be more than rules to share.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 31, 2018

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I backed at $10 because none of my friends have a crippling Kickstarter addiction.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Something like 50 of our backers came from SA so I just wanted to say thank you all for throwing in on this silly project and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you all think when we ship. If you'll be at GenCon, I hope we get to see ya'll at the meet up, and if you can't make the meet up yell at me on GroupMe and I'll come find you.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
For a couple of bucks, I really couldn't say 'no'. :)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
BFF is going to make its goal. Cortex plus is delayed. I still await cartel, but they said June, so they’re not late.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So I was curious about this from the start of the campaign, but not enough to bring it up. An odd number of people backed the half a page level of Orc Stabr. What's going to happen to that extra left over half page?

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Goblins will eat it

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

rydiafan posted:

So I was curious about this from the start of the campaign, but not enough to bring it up. An odd number of people backed the half a page level of Orc Stabr. What's going to happen to that extra left over half page?

Buried in a time capsule for future generations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

CMON's next KS, Cthulhu: Death May Die, is apparently going to be Eldritch Horror, but without the investigation parts, as designed by Eric Lang and Rob Daviau, and with minis.

Yay.

Gonna check this out, but the investigations make eldritch fun. Otherwise its cthulhu worker placement resource manager?

Eldritch could use some random mitigation, but not stripping it. I'll peak when theres more info

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Goblins will eat it

This

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The extra half-page is a sacrifice to the orcish gods.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Now you just need a slacker backer avenue: Orc Stabr Sacker Backers (since they're sacking things, naturally.)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Eagerly awaiting our halves of the orc stabr pages, good job on such a successful kickstarter :)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Yeah, congrats! I'm glad i remembered to back in time.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do you want a pewter King Henry VIII (if you're an early bird backer)? How about putting rings on fingers on your player screen for reasons that I'm not quite sure of yet? Well if so, come check out Academy Games' Tudor: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617871702/tudor

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GrandpaPants posted:

Do you want a pewter King Henry VIII (if you're an early bird backer)? How about putting rings on fingers on your player screen for reasons that I'm not quite sure of yet? Well if so, come check out Academy Games' Tudor: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617871702/tudor

That honestly looks pretty good at a glance (I haven't read the rulebook yet) but that graphic design choice to go with with the hands is, uh.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
BTW, will you be sending around a survey to determine what name goes on the sheet for super backers?

e: Nemesis of Moles, that is. Phone posting is hard.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Argh, I missed it. :smith: That's what I get for putting it off every night.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yay.

What is with all these cthickstarters anyway? It's super weird that there's basically always some sort of Cthulu kickstarter going on given that it's a somewhat niche genre/setting.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
nerds love that poo poo, pretty simple really

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

What is with all these cthickstarters anyway? It's super weird that there's basically always some sort of Cthulu kickstarter going on given that it's a somewhat niche genre/setting.

Because it's easy money. Nerds will slampick Cthulhu stuff just like they always go for zombie stuff.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also, it's public domain.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not really interested in this game but kind of want that tiny judgmental Henry VIII. Guess it's time to shop for historical minis...

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Leraika posted:

BTW, will you be sending around a survey to determine what name goes on the sheet for super backers?

e: Nemesis of Moles, that is. Phone posting is hard.

Yeah, that'll be in the $10 tier survey we send out in a day or so

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

It's, like, the second most popular setting outside of generic fantasy, and public domain to boot.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Haystack posted:

It's, like, the second most popular setting outside of generic fantasy, and public domain to boot.
"X, but with Cthulhu!" has replaced "X, but with Zombies!" as the current low-effort nerdbait template.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hehe, Cthickstarters. I like that, will save that for later use.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think Ettin did some research a while back and discovered that there had been at least one Cthulhu-themed Kickstarter running at every point for the past five years or so.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Looks like gnome's latest Kickstarter is live: Final Bid. It's an update and expansion of Law's Out, which is free for the duration of the Kickstarter (link on the campaign page). I really liked the couple of sessions of Law's Out I wrangled out of my friends, so it's an immediate back for me.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

potatocubed posted:

I think Ettin did some research a while back and discovered that there had been at least one Cthulhu-themed Kickstarter running at every point for the past five years or so.

Here it is! (It only covers a 3-year period and I haven't kept it updated, though.) "Cthulhu-themed" includes poo poo like children's books and sports wear (?) and a rubber duck (??) so I think eventually you will be able to have an entire Cthulhu-themed house if you backed enough projects.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's a complex, factoid rich setting filled with the kind of themes nerds love to misinterpret and argue over, with some real wonky poo poo around women and minorities and a general (if somewhat exaggerated by post-Lovecraft authors) misanthrophic viewpoint, built around a bunch of badly written and overwrought stories that are both obscure and fairly well known (so it's both accessible and lets you go 'well, it's not mainstream, therefore good'). Of course nerds like it, that's like everything they want at once. poo poo, even I like it despite those wonky things.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The "Cthulhu Mythos" is mostly scaffold that the fandom have built up for over three decades, papering on Lovecraft's elements over it. The idea that there's a "rich setting" or "deep lore" is largely a construct of the RPG and more modern fiction authors playing connect-the-dots with a bunch of horror short stories that are usually only tangentially or thematically connected.

Of course, Kickstarters like this also just want to walk the line between essentially being a complete send-up of "Lovecraftian fiction" and wanting to play the whole thing straight as a "-atmospheric, Lovecraftian tale." By which, of course, they mean The Dunwich Horror, and no other. The one story where they go in with weapons and a spell to defeat the beastie is pretty much the only one that might as well exist to most Lovecraft board games, and anything that isn't some rendition of that can take a hike.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The best Lovecraftian games are the ones that take the premise and try to do something new with it, like Delta Green or The Laundry or CthulhuTech.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ettin posted:

or CthulhuTech.
:catstare:

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Not traditional in the strictest sense but I'd be surprised if any of us haven't come across Spiderweb software at some point; the people behind Avernum and Avadon.

They just launched a Kickstarter for their new game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619141553/queens-wish-the-conqueror

They've been cranking out quality games for 25 years now. They've done some really oddball stuff in the past that I adore, stuff like Geneforge or Nethergate, set in Roman Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ettin posted:

The best Lovecraftian games are the ones that take the premise and try to do something new with it, like Delta Green or The Laundry or CthulhuTech.

CthulhuTech had better be about 80 ton robots in a feudal future fighting Cthulhu. "One day the stars would be right... So we went to the stars and struck first."