Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Thug Lessons posted:

Again, the technology is the same whether you're using it for fossil fuels or not. You either support developing the technology or you don't. The distinction between fossil and non-fossil CCS does not exist.
Is the technology the same? Wouldn't there be significant differences in the design of something meant for a hot point source, vs. something meant to scrub the atmosphere? I suppose the latter might just be a version of the former with a few extra steps, but I could see a different approach being more appropriate for a different source. Maybe the scrubber approach is much more efficient creating some largely inert carbon compound/mass, where the point source technology can more efficiently create industrially useful chemicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

spf3million posted:

I think if it can help offset the cost of capturing CO2, it's a worthwhile effort. ...

That's how I see it. The carbon XPrize technologies are interesting to learn about but only useful to the extent they offset the significant cost of CCS. I guess we'll see if they perform well-enough under realistic settings that they could conceivably lead to a significant reduction in the future cost of fossil fuel+CCS electricity generation, but it seems like they almost certainly will not for reasons of scale if nothing else. They might have a role in reducing the cost of making cement or similar industrial processes in a society seriously pursuing negative emissions.

Trabisnikof posted:

The "Carbon X Prize" is explicitly judged based on the team's ability to capture CO2 from either coal or natural gas flue gas, so yeah that's exactly what the competition is about.

Yeah that's the constraint of the competition but apparently most of the teams end up purifying the CO2 anyway so they can likely be applied to any point source of CO2. That's a good point about their funding coming from fossil fuel energy companies. In a lot of press reports/interviews the techs in the competition are clearly pitched as a potential means to enable continue fossil fuel power generation when that's a really doubtful proposition.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is the technology the same? Wouldn't there be significant differences in the design of something meant for a hot point source, vs. something meant to scrub the atmosphere? I suppose the latter might just be a version of the former with a few extra steps, but I could see a different approach being more appropriate for a different source. Maybe the scrubber approach is much more efficient creating some largely inert carbon compound/mass, where the point source technology can more efficiently create industrially useful chemicals.

There is a big difference in between scrubbing CO2 from flue gas where it's highly concentrated, i.e. CCS, and what we call direct air capture (DAC), i.e. "scrubbing the atmosphere" where CO2 is present only in minute concentrations. However the main proposed method of net-negative emissions, bioenergy with carbon capture and storage (BECCS), relies on scrubbing CO2 from flue gas in a bioenergy plant, not on sucking it directly from the atmosphere.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

E: I'm an idiot, and should read better.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

There is a big difference in between scrubbing CO2 from flue gas where it's highly concentrated, i.e. CCS, and what we call direct air capture (DAC), i.e. "scrubbing the atmosphere" where CO2 is present only in minute concentrations. However the main proposed method of net-negative emissions, bioenergy with carbon capture and storage (BECCS), relies on scrubbing CO2 from flue gas in a bioenergy plant, not on sucking it directly from the atmosphere.
Right, thanks, that makes sense. Basically taking a process that's carbon-neutral long term, and adding a capture and storage component to make it net-negative while still producing energy on demand.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'll say this though: Yes, humans are the only thing that matters. If I could sacrifice 100% of the biomass of earth in exchange for humanity's continued existence and spreading out among the starts or whatever, I would take that bargain in a heartbeat. The value of humans as the only sentient species on the planet and possibly in the universe (for all we know) makes human value absolute both as a general concept and (though I'm hardly impartial in this) our value to ourselves.

There are probably hundreds of sentient species on this planet, what are you... oh wait, you're one of those clowns who doesn't know the difference between sentient and sapient, my bad.

Anyway, I disagree vehemently on this "humans are the only thing that matters" bullshit. If you could sacrifice 100% of the biomass in exchange for our continued existence, I would sabotage you out of spite. Because if we need that kind of bargain, the universe would be better of trying again with another species a couple million years later.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
the "sacrifice all the biomass of the earth in exchange to keep humanity alive" completely ignores that there is literally no way for humans to exist outside of that biosphere

humans can be the "only thing that matter" (I think calling it a 'starting point for a moral framework') and it's not inconsistent with defending and valuing other life on earth.

beyond that, you're going to get into some very sticky discussions of "what is a human" since iirc ~50% of your own biomass is not "human"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Two bears, one is about to attack a baby elephant, one is about to attack an exceedingly racist 80 year old man. You have one bullet. Which one do you shoot?

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
How many ants would it take to be ethically worse to kill than one elephant?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

Two bears, one is about to attack a baby elephant, one is about to attack an exceedingly racist 80 year old man. You have one bullet. Which one do you shoot?

the old man

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Over 99% of ants will not have children
#ClimateRoleModels

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Libluini posted:

There are probably hundreds of sentient species on this planet, what are you... oh wait, you're one of those clowns who doesn't know the difference between sentient and sapient, my bad.

Anyway, I disagree vehemently on this "humans are the only thing that matters" bullshit. If you could sacrifice 100% of the biomass in exchange for our continued existence, I would sabotage you out of spite. Because if we need that kind of bargain, the universe would be better of trying again with another species a couple million years later.

Oh, well gently caress. I, as a non-native english speaker, appear to have written sentient when I meant sapient. How utterly unforgivable. Well, I guess you win now, or something?

Good to know your seething misanthropy wouldn't allow you to in this completely make-believe situation sacrifice the current biomass of earth - which is 100% going to permanently die when the sun does and constitutes less than 1% of all life that has inhabited our planet since the formation of the solar system - in exchange for the survival of something that might be unique to the universe and may never arrive again, for all we know. It's a false and ridiculous choice, yes, which is why I selected that particular piece of extreme hyperbole to illustrate the point that was being discussed, but there's no way to refute that the only way any of the living things on this planet survives beyond some coming permanent complete extinction event is in some form through humans. Unless you're suggesting that life will inhabit earth indefinitely.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Oh, well gently caress. I, as a non-native english speaker, appear to have written sentient when I meant sapient. How utterly unforgivable. Well, I guess you win now, or something?

Good to know your seething misanthropy wouldn't allow you to in this completely make-believe situation sacrifice the current biomass of earth - which is 100% going to permanently die when the sun does and constitutes less than 1% of all life that has inhabited our planet since the formation of the solar system - in exchange for the survival of something that might be unique to the universe and may never arrive again, for all we know. It's a false and ridiculous choice, yes, which is why I selected that particular piece of extreme hyperbole to illustrate the point that was being discussed, but there's no way to refute that the only way any of the living things on this planet survives beyond some coming permanent complete extinction event is in some form through humans. Unless you're suggesting that life will inhabit earth indefinitely.

Oh, I guess not believing humans are special unique snowflakes is misanthropy in your universe. Too bad I live in the real world, though. :shrug:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Are you implying humanity won't permanently die when the sun goes?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Are you implying humanity won't permanently die when the sun goes?
By then we'll have conquered the galaxy.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Libluini posted:

Oh, I guess not believing humans are special unique snowflakes is misanthropy in your universe. Too bad I live in the real world, though. :shrug:

Well here is the problem. Either humans are "special unique snowflakes", and therefore whatever special responsibilities they might have towards the natural world they are also afforded special rights, or they're not, and they're just another species with no particular rights or responsibilities. And in my book, all of the questions worth discussing are on the former half of that dichotomy. If I was inclined towards the latter, I wouldn't care if human activity caused species extinction any more than I'd be upset when a lion eats a gazelle.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
so about that climate change thing

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Cingulate posted:

so about that climate change thing

can you phrase that in the form of "two bears are doing something and you have one bullet"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

Well here is the problem. Either humans are "special unique snowflakes", and therefore whatever special responsibilities they might have towards the natural world they are also afforded special rights, or they're not, and they're just another species with no particular rights or responsibilities. And in my book, all of the questions worth discussing are on the former half of that dichotomy. If I was inclined towards the latter, I wouldn't care if human activity caused species extinction any more than I'd be upset when a lion eats a gazelle.
Those special rights don't say anything about humans being valued about other life though. The responsibility we're talking about comes from our ability to affect the world, and the only right we get from that is the right to use it. It doesn't follow at all that humanity has the right to be elevated above other species in any kind of moral question.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Those special rights don't say anything about humans being valued about other life though. The responsibility we're talking about comes from our ability to affect the world, and the only right we get from that is the right to use it. It doesn't follow at all that humanity has the right to be elevated above other species in any kind of moral question.

This is not a tenable position. We don't assign responsibilities to other species based on their ability to affect the world, we just assume however they happen to affect the world (at least within their native environment) is what they naturally do. It's only with humans that we believe power carries some sort of responsibility. As usual, we find them unique, which is unsurprising given that we're humans.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some people here believe humans are inherently morally much more value than any animal. Others disagree. Can we just leave it at that?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Some people here believe humans are inherently morally much more value than any animal. Others disagree. Can we just leave it at that?
As long as we agree that it is just that, a belief.

Thug Lessons posted:

This is not a tenable position. We don't assign responsibilities to other species based on their ability to affect the world, we just assume however they happen to affect the world (at least within their native environment) is what they naturally do. It's only with humans that we believe power carries some sort of responsibility. As usual, we find them unique, which is unsurprising given that we're humans.
Yeah, I forgot to add the part about awareness, without which responsibility obviously doesn't work.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Here's a nice summary of the ongoing battle over a proposed transmission line from Quebec to Massachusets for the purpose of increasing Massachusetts' renewable energy consumption:

The Free Press posted:

Legislators Battle with LePage Over CMP’s Proposed Transmission Line
Thursday, May 31, 2018

Gov. Paul LePage and Central Maine Power are battling it out with environmental groups, local power generators and a bipartisan group of legislators over a proposed $950 million electrical transmission line from Lewiston to Quebec. The 146-mile New England Clean Energy Connect (NECEC), which is a joint effort of CMP and Hydro-Québec, would bring 1,200 megawatts of Canadian hydro power to Massachusetts through the existing regional grid to comply with the Bay State’s renewable energy goals
NECEC was one of dozens of transmission proposals submitted last year in response to an RFP put out by Massachusetts and utilities to procure 1,200MW of renewable energy. The winning bids will be eligible for 20-year contracts to provide power to the state starting in 2022. NECEC became the next in line for a contract earlier this spring after New Hampshire regulators pulled the plug on the winning bid, Eversource’s Northern Pass project. NECEC is currently going through the state and federal permitting process. If it is successful, it would require CMP to clear a 146-mile corridor from the Quebec border to Lewiston that would cross the Appalachian Trail and the Kennebec River Gorge, a popular whitewater rafting route.

In an analysis commissioned by the Maine Public Utilities Commission, the Boston-based firm London Economics concluded that NECEC would reduce annual CO2 emissions by 3.6 million metric tons while providing $346 million in wholesale electicity benefits during its first 15 years in operation. It also estimated that it will create over 1,600 construction jobs during the four-year construction period, increasing state GDP by $98.2 million.
Opponents of the project have also questioned findings that the project will reduce CO2 emissions and cited testimony from rival electricity generators concluding otherwise. In an analysis commissioned by the Calpine Corporation, which owns a natural gas-fired plant in Westbrook, energy consultant James Speyer of the firm Energyzt Advisors argued that NECEC could even increase carbon emissions by simply diverting hydro power it now sells to other markets in Ontario and New York to Massachusetts, forcing the other two regions to rely on dirtier fuels to replace the hydro electricity.

“This is caused by the fact that Hydro-Québec has a fixed amount of excess energy that it can deliver into external markets,” wrote Speyer in a filing with the Maine Public Utilities Commission dated April 30. “By committing up to 9.4 TWh of energy supply to Massachusetts via NECEC, Hydro-Québec’s sales into other markets would have to be reduced in order to meet that obligation. Increased carbon emissions associated with the incremental dispatch in markets that are forced to replace reduced exports from Québec could more than offset the reduction in New England’s carbon emissions that result from the displacement of its generating resources.”

This story caught my eye as it seemed a clear example of established fossil-fuel generators using the political process to oppose even a relatively small increase in renewable energy. However I'm surprised to see that the Sierra Club opposes this transmission line and its failed predecessor (Northern Pass) :

The Sierra Club posted:

In response, Emily Norton, Massachusetts Sierra Club Chapter Director and Catherine Corkery, New Hampshire Sierra Club Chapter Director said the following:

“The rejection of the Northern Pass project is good news for Massachusetts and the region. The Northern Pass project would have increased electricity costs in the state, destroyed pristine wilderness in New Hampshire and continued the destruction of traditional hunting and fishing grounds of First Nations in Quebec, all while failing to reduce climate pollution in the region.

“It is too soon to celebrate however. Governor Baker’s second choice to meet Massachusetts’ energy needs, New England Clean Energy Connect, carries many of the same problems as Northern Pass.

The main problem with renewable energy is intermittent generation. Upgrading the electric grid to cover a wider area makes temporary local shortfalls less of an issue and increases the feasibility of increased renewable generation. However the argument here is increasing transmission capacity should be opposed because renewable energy providers might divert energy away from areas that consequently will be forced to increase fossil fuel usage. I think the Sierra Club does good work so I don't understand their opposition to the project, aside from the associated development of a forested region.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Spending a billion dollars on a 1200MW transmission line is insanely wasteful. You could build an entire power plant for that price. But the reality is, since we've committed to renewables, we'll be spending trillions upon trillions on it.

This isn't really a renewables issue though, because hydro is not intermittent. It's just graft designed to put taxpayer money into energy company pockets.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 31, 2018

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As long as we agree that it is just that, a belief.
Values are mental states :colbert:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Values are mental states :colbert:

Synapses, synapses all the way down.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

Spending a billion dollars on a 1200MW transmission line is insanely wasteful. You could build an entire power plant for that price. But the reality is, since we've committed to renewables, we'll be spending trillions upon trillions on it.

This isn't really a renewables issue though, because hydro is not intermittent. It's just graft designed to put taxpayer money into energy company pockets.

Serious question what's the difference between spending a billion dollars to construct a 1200MW transmission line vs spending a billion dollars to construct a power plant with 1200MV capacity? It's the same amount of renewable capacity as far as Massachusetts is concerned. In your opinion what's a good price for constructing 1200MW capacity? One billion USD seems to be in the right ballpark:

Also what's your argument here? We shouldn't build renewable power, or we shouldn't build long-distance transmission lines, or that this specific project is more expensive that it should be? Do you agree with the Sierra Club's assessment that this project might actually raise CO2 emissions?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Serious question what's the difference between spending a billion dollars to construct a 1200MW transmission line vs spending a billion dollars to construct a power plant with 1200MV capacity?

Well at the most basic level you're either adding new capacity or you aren't. They're importing Canadian hydro power, which already has plenty of domestic customers, from 30, 50, 80 year-old dams. It can "raise Massachusetts's renewables rate" while doing absolutely nothing for the environment, essentially giving the utilities a billion dollars to build a completely unnecessary 150-mile transmission line across the wilderness so that a bureaucrat can make the numbers on a graph look nicer.

quote:

It's the same amount of renewable capacity as far as Massachusetts is concerned. In your opinion what's a good price for constructing 1200MW capacity? One billion USD seems to be in the right ballpark:

Also what's your argument here? We shouldn't build renewable power, or we shouldn't build long-distance transmission lines, or that this specific project is more expensive that it should be? Do you agree with the Sierra Club's assessment that this project might actually raise CO2 emissions?

My argument is: why can't MA decarbonize? Why are they so desperate they have to resort to hare-brained schemes like this? They've spent the past decade aggressively building solar, but for some bizarre reason no one could have anticipated that doesn't work that well. And how much worse is the problem going to get once they complete their ongoing process of shuttering the nuclear plants, leaving the lackluster renewables sector as the sole domestic power source? Are they going to build another transmission line, maybe this time to Mexico instead of Canada, and take their hydro power too?

Literally anything would be better. Build 1200 MW of offshore wind. Extend loans for a nuclear power plant. Even build a natural gas plant and import less coal power. Don't throw the money away on a boondoggle.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Side question. Is bringing up posters that participate in this thread, their posts in other sub-forums allowed if it's germane or ads information to how they are discussing climate change? Or is that considered inter-forum drama or otherwise frowned upon?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:justpost:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't believe humans are uniquely special and I also don't believe that's misanthropy.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

I don't believe humans are uniquely special and I also don't believe that's misanthropy.

Aren't you the dude who deliberately opted out of organ donation even though you ride a motorcycle and came into this thread to brag about it? We don't need big words like "misanthropy"; you're just a gigantic selfish rear end in a top hat.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Rather than another CTA TL slapfight, we just need to increase concrete consumption.

Time to build giant concrete monuments to our idiocy and hubris!

*coal fired power station on horizon*

Oh wait nm.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Man, just when you thought the short-sighted stupidity of the administration couldn't get more absurd and self-parodic:

https://twitter.com/jendlouhyhc/status/1002386812038414338

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Man, just when you thought the short-sighted stupidity of the administration couldn't get more absurd and self-parodic:

https://twitter.com/jendlouhyhc/status/1002386812038414338

I'm a field engineer for a large grid operator and I have no idea what this will mean or how good/bad/stupid this is. I suspect it will vary widely by plant. For nuke/coal plants that are in decent shape and haven't been mothballed too badly, it might not be bad financially. For some of the plants in my area that have been idled for years but are still on the books as operable, it would be hilarious as hell if they wound up on the Must Run List.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

US energy markets probably require massive amounts of government intervention but

not like this

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Flowers For Algeria posted:

US energy markets probably require massive amounts of government intervention but

not like this

I have strong feelings on this based on personal experience. Let's just say that deregulation has been a hilarious disaster and this is one of the industries that needs oversight most to ensure reliability and the public good. It's up there with public water.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I don't know the law here, but I think if they actually go through with that it's going to end up in court. And they couldn't get the last iteration of this scheme, (which was actually a lot more mild than that description, giving subsidies to nuclear and coal), past the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, despite most of the board being appointed by Trump.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

poopinmymouth posted:

Side question. Is bringing up posters that participate in this thread, their posts in other sub-forums allowed if it's germane or ads information to how they are discussing climate change? Or is that considered inter-forum drama or otherwise frowned upon?
Don't post about posters maybe? Post about climate change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

This thread is great when it’s talking about science and not so great when it’s sanctimonious Kant impersonator vs edgelord left-wing misanthrope slapfight