Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Payndz posted:

Afraid this is effectively the Miraculous thread. It's funny; I've spent almost two years travelling around mainland Europe where the show is huge (measured by merchandising and associated junk - having a young kid means I've been in a lot of toy departments, and the biggies are Marvel, Paw Patrol, Cars, Frozen and... Miraculous), but coming back to the UK it's relatively obscure, and it seems the same is true in the US. Ironic, considering it's made with English-speaking markets in mind!

Anyway, welcome to the global Easter egg hunt that is finding out which country gets to debut each new episode.

In that case, here are my thought so far, behind spoiler bars of course:

It seems obvious that Hawkmoth is planning to use the wish to bring back his wife, not realising that it will cost him his sons life in return - I'm assuming that that's how it will work because of the equivalent exchange rule that was explained, plus it being the cruelest thing that fate could do to him. Even when he fails however, it's likely that Cat Noir will learn his identity and that may lose him his son forever regardless. For this reason, and the fact that he has been steadily growing closer to Adrian over time, I'm hoping he gets redeemed, as according to the book Hawkmoth was traditionally a Hero role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yeah, it seems a cert that the wish is going to backfire horribly for Gabriel. Since his wife was the holder of the Peacock Miraculous (it's in his safe), there's a peacock-themed villain on the way, and the show's creator has said there'll be a new supervillain more powerful than Hawk Moth, it doesn't look good for the Agreste family...

Speaking of Hawk Moth, I had a good laugh when playing Skyrim for the first time in ages and an NPC started giving me poo poo in Gabriel's voice.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 28, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It would be interesting if Gabriel, just before he succeeded, made a villain out of a fortune teller who then simply warned him from the outset that he will regret the path he's on and if he's sure he wants her to do the thing despite it being his ruination.

Also, the best villain was Gigantitan
I also like when the villains generally backfire, like the robot or the hypnotist. He nearly died to both of them.

Final note, more general. I love that in the setting, the city knows that people can get evilized at anytime and know why it happens so the villains don't get shat on in the civillian forms. It's kind of a blanket amnesty, like ruling it temporary insanity. No stigma, just back to your life and my god let's hope you don't meet Chloe again... also that ZombiZu episode where the class practically are ready to lynch Chloe due to recognising that she is the reason most of them went evil was a great moment. Didn't expect that.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 28, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
still hard to wrap one's head around the fact that this is where like 90% of the AT crew moved on to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mffPmElSc-c
They even got Science Saru to do the intro

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

still hard to wrap one's head around the fact that this is where like 90% of the AT crew moved on to

I'm really pumped for this show given that it looks and feels a hell of a lot like Over the Garden Wall.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

There’s something really off-putting about all of that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, Ace of the Gangreen Gang apparently has a new side gig as the bassist for Gorillaz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5yFcdPAGv0
No, this is not a joke.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay I was about to be like "Murdoc's always looked like that, though" but what :psyduck:

e: also, Jack Black!?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Murdoc is in jail

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, I found that out, I thought that was a joke

I'm... extremely confused and have a lot of questions, I would not have expected the fill-in to be a PPG character

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Time has not been kind to Ace's hairline

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm... extremely confused and have a lot of questions, I would not have expected the fill-in to be a PPG character

Well, you weren't wrong about it being a joke, you were just wrong in how deep the rabbit hole went.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So the Tangled cartoon was renewed for a season 3 before season 2 premiered. Is it any good? I think I'll binge it this weekend.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Senerio posted:

So the Tangled cartoon was renewed for a season 3 before season 2 premiered. Is it any good? I think I'll binge it this weekend.

It's a mixed bag. Some episodes feel kinda slow, but I love Rapunzel's unending positivity. Cassandra is also kinda cool.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I thought of it because an animatic person I like used Jeremy Jordan's song in a Miraculous animatic and it interested me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejArNZvT8P0

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well, apparently Jamie Hewlett and Craig McCracken are old friends, and there's been rumblings of a Gorillaz TV series, which if it's going to be on Adult Swim might explain why Cartoon Network's allowed this cross-promotion to happen. To be a fly on the wall for those contract negotiations...

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

There’s something really off-putting about all of that.

Part of me was put off that there wasn't a single human character, but I guess it's going to be something like The Dark Crystal so it should be fine.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Senerio posted:

The show had a double-length mid-season finale around 2/3rds of the way through, and the show got a whole lot more interesting after that. They then ended the first season by promising to chuck the original setting out the window.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, apparently Jamie Hewlett and Craig McCracken are old friends, and there's been rumblings of a Gorillaz TV series, which if it's going to be on Adult Swim might explain why Cartoon Network's allowed this cross-promotion to happen. To be a fly on the wall for those contract negotiations...

Legal might just not be paying attention though. I don't get the impression CN is a particularly well run operation outside of [Adult Swim].

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I heard that CN doesn't actually own the rights to some of the minor PPG villains.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I watched the prequel movie to the sequel series (Tangled: Before Ever After) and it does in fact explain how she gets her blonde hair back.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched a few episodes and it seemed monotonous, like all the villains are cut from the same "hook for a hand or an eyepatch tough guy type from a bar" cloth, but I looked through the rest of the plot synopses and it looks like it's gotten into serial storytelling lately, so I'll wait until it ends and read the spoilers

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This was brought up a few pages ago, but I just saw that Darkwing Duck clip in the new Ducktales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb6gBFum6qo

As far as imitators go, these new VAs are pretty drat close to the originals it's almost uncanny! :monocle:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr Interweb posted:

This was brought up a few pages ago, but I just saw that Darkwing Duck clip in the new Ducktales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb6gBFum6qo

As far as imitators go, these new VAs are pretty drat close to the originals it's almost uncanny! :monocle:

I think Darkwing and Quakerjack are the originals. (Darkwing is for sure.)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Darkwing and Quakerjack are the originals. (Darkwing is for sure.)

DW I can understand (though that one poster a few pages ago said it wasn't). But Quackerjack? Michael Bell is still alive? I haven't seen him do anything in decades. :monocle:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah, that's Jim Cummings as Darkwing Duck.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, that's Jim Cummings as Darkwing Duck.

Jim Cummings as Jim Starling as Darkwing Duck

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Whatever characters Jim Cummings does, as long as that dude is alive, he will always do them.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
9 episodes into the Tangled cartoon and I quite enjoy it. My favorite character is probably Cass because I enjoy her dynamic with Rapunzel and Eugene, but Varian is fun because it's fun mocking him for being a nerd with my friend I'm discussing this show with online. (she's seen the whole season.)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
stupid canon question, but isn't Rapunzel like legit married to what's his name? Or was.

I seem to recall an animated short where the horse and the other animal chased The Ring, yaddayddayadda, but we have this cartoon where that wasn't canon?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PhazonLink posted:

stupid canon question, but isn't Rapunzel like legit married to what's his name? Or was.

I seem to recall an animated short where the horse and the other animal chased The Ring, yaddayddayadda, but we have this cartoon where that wasn't canon?

The cartoon takes place before the wedding.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The cartoon takes place before the wedding.

Wait what

How long is this series gonna go

And is Flynn gonna cut her hair off in the same way so it's styled the same

Also I feel like Rapunzel getting her hair back kind of goes against the first movie story and themes and whatever. I get it from a marketing standpoint though

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Remember at the end of Aladdin where it seemed like Aladdin and Jasmine were about to get married, and then they had another movie, an entire animated series, and then a third movie before they actually got married

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pakled posted:

Remember at the end of Aladdin where it seemed like Aladdin and Jasmine were about to get married, and then they had another movie, an entire animated series, and then a third movie before they actually got married

They did at least poke some fun at that in King of Thieves

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The end of the film said it took years for them to get married so presumably they fix everything in time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Wait what

How long is this series gonna go

And is Flynn gonna cut her hair off in the same way so it's styled the same

Also I feel like Rapunzel getting her hair back kind of goes against the first movie story and themes and whatever. I get it from a marketing standpoint though

Rapunzel got her long hair back for a specific reason, and now that they're done dicking around in town for most of the first season they're going to go find out what's up with the hair and the nasty spikes that are somehow connected to them. So they've built in a reason for her to lose her magic hair again, is what I'm saying.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Next she'll get Blue hair and nerds will fight over how she can get it cut in time for Tangled GT to fit the timeline.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Next she'll get Blue hair and nerds will fight over how she can get it cut in time for Tangled GT to fit the timeline.

In Tangled GT will she sprout red body hair?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just finished Queen for a Day. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
What's the deal with CN incorporating more cartoons with this bean face design? I've been seeing this often in cartoons like steven universe, OK KO, clarence, and now this thundercats reboot. Also the characters look more blockier like they're roblox. Hell, the recent shows I can think of that has some variety are gumball and teen titans go.

Is this design just more simpler to draw and animate, meaning cheaper and more efficient production time and value? Because if that's the case, the plus side may be the network doesn't have to spend more budget on in-house production and paying animators overseas, but the downside would be cartoons don't look so stylised and creative nowadays and they all share that same plain bland art style.

From what I've seen, the cartoons from netflix and titmouse have varied styles of art and animation and they seem to be doing successful in their own right. They obviously take longer to produce, but they focus more on quality rather than quantity and they're not relying on anything else to keep themselves afloat (i.e. toy sales, other merchandising).