Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Big sale on the franchise on both Steam and Uplay for those who need/want want to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
The only good part of AC3 to me was chopping up chumps with a hatchet and a dagger. Rope darts would be higher up but you get them so loving late in the game :argh:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Big sale on the franchise on both Steam and Uplay for those who need/want want to catch up.

Friend of mine gifted me a copy, and I'm considering giving it a go. I just wanted to know-how obnoxious is the Uplay stuff in this game? Because that put me off a bunch of other AC games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Think I'll give AC3 a miss for now, thanks guys. Unity was overall a bit of a wet fart in terms of story, and the historical backdrop wasn't enough to keep me going.

I'll probably go for the Ezio collection first.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ezio is great and they kept trying to replicate what made him work in the sequels, but they never quite got it.

I'm glad they seem to have finally realized you can only do Coming Of Age Story Which Is Also A Series Of Tutorials once

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jacob, Eevie and Bayek are great for that reason.

I kept thinking Arno was an Ezio clone.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bellec was more interesting than Arno for that whole "what if someone reading into Assassin history became radicalized beyond the point of return", would have fit well with Rogue coming in that same year

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Bellec was more interesting than Arno for that whole "what if someone reading into Assassin history became radicalized beyond the point of return", would have fit well with Rogue coming in that same year

Unity is full of interesting characters who you don't get to follow because you're stuck with Blando McGuillotine

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Unity's story if I remember was complete nonsense and hard to follow and uninteresting and confusing... if I remember correctly.

But that's how I feel about every Assassin's Creed.

Origins is definitely better but the story is still lacking; however, I was quite sad at the ending, so that means it meant something to me. So that's a plus.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Decided to redownload this game since I'm taking a course in Egyptology. It's cool.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Unity's story if I remember was complete nonsense and hard to follow and uninteresting and confusing... if I remember correctly.

But that's how I feel about every Assassin's Creed.

Origins is definitely better but the story is still lacking; however, I was quite sad at the ending, so that means it meant something to me. So that's a plus.

I've always thought the worst part of AC was the story and the idea that anyone would want to read BOOKS based on this particular universe is baffling to me

(Although the first game was inspired by "Alamut" which owns and you should read it)

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I've always thought the worst part of AC was the story and the idea that anyone would want to read BOOKS based on this particular universe is baffling to me

(Although the first game was inspired by "Alamut" which owns and you should read it)

The idea is definitely fantastic, but in practice the stories have just been terrible. I've only beat 2, Black Flag, Unity, and now Origins.

However I will say this about Origins: I just beat it a couple of days ago at 53 hours, and I definitely have plenty of map left to clear. And I'm going to do it. Not because I'm obsessed with clearing poo poo like that, but because I want to see what's out there. And I'm def buying the DLC.

Can't say that about any other AC I've played.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I go back and forth between thinking the series mythology is cheesy stupid fun or just cheesy and stupid. I'm not interested in following it outside the games either way though. I liked Bayek and Aya, but the series mythology swooped in to make their story less fun too.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll be honest: pre-origins the original AC is my favorite. Altaïr is also still my favorite protagonist of the series.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1002213917211455488?s=21

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Asscreed turning into the witcher turned out well, I’m ok with it turning into god of war next

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Asscreed turning into the witcher turned out well, I’m ok with it turning into god of war next

Wait, I can make potions and traps? Maybe use signs?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If true, I think this will be the first time I've looked forward to an assassin's creed game. 2018, huh?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Trojan War? It would be interesting to leave historicity a bit, I suppose.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

nah. apperently its roman occupied greece apparently. possibly bayek is protag. idk.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bring back petz!!!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Slight derail -- wasn't there supposed to be a separate non-AC game built on the ship/sailing mechanics from the AC games?

I loved the boat mechanics and the idea of them really fleshing out stuff like ship to ship battles/boarding, salvaging, etc.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Skulls & Bones. It's been delayed and smells like vaporware.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looks like they decided to just confirm it entirely, fuuuuuuuuck.
:hist101:

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1002331391789617152

The 4chan leak is sounding pretty true now.

:gizz: if even half of that is true.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 1, 2018

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Ehh... That's kind of lame from an uneducated perspective. What can you even do with Greece? What time period?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pumped about more ship stuff if true. Sorry for everyone who didn't like it, I was wishing for this

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I don't mind how the game works out at all I just want to be interested in the location and I don't quite understand how it's going to stand out.

Was really hoping for 100% Rome but I guess this Layla-arc is Mediterranean focused.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Lunethex posted:

I don't mind how the game works out at all I just want to be interested in the location and I don't quite understand how it's going to stand out.

Was really hoping for 100% Rome but I guess this Layla-arc is Mediterranean focused.

There's a pretty loving solid chance that the eruption of Vesuvius will be due to some sort of Rogue-like fuckery, and you'll get to play through it, as that happened during this period, as well as a siege on Jerusalem, which might be a lead-in to the Assassins settling in Masayf. The government was basically a militaristic autocracy, so you're gonna be liberating the hell out of that, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavian_dynasty

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 1, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

Looks like they decided to just confirm it entirely, fuuuuuuuuck.
:hist101:

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1002331391789617152

The 4chan leak is sounding pretty true now.

:gizz: if even half of that is true.

i love the wildlands target system idea as does the customization naval stuff.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
That sounds good, social stealth returning will be cool. I guess Origins must have been fairly successful if they're going straight back to yearly releases?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Ship stuff isn't as exciting without cannons, but I will take what I can get.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PlushCow posted:

I think the whole drum thing was pretty satisfying, and ramming was a lot more fun. I'm curious to see how they do it as a more fleshed-out central mechanic instead of a small minigame.

I wonder how they'll do boarding, if they'll do it at all? The ships would be positively crammed with people, it seems like it'd be too many bodies in the way to be any fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

That sounds good, social stealth returning will be cool. I guess Origins must have been fairly successful if they're going straight back to yearly releases?

my guess it gave a bunch of the other assassins creed projects an extra year with that year break. so now its three year dev cycle instead of 2 or so.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ship stuff sucked in all the games, just an annoying chore. Ships simply don't allow for interesting mission design.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Pretty sure it was crazy successful. I'm proud of Ubi for clawing their way out of the mess that was Unity--Syndicate was good, Origins was great, and I hope Odyssey is amazing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I somehow find myself more hype for this than Origins.

PlushCow posted:

Think of how much ship combat will rule with GREEK FIRE.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Pretty sure it was crazy successful. I'm proud of Ubi for clawing their way out of the mess that was Unity--Syndicate was good, Origins was great, and I hope Odyssey is amazing.

Really it's just inevitable that with the pace they were setting and the multiple teams working on multiple games at once and the need to periodically shake up the mechanics that the AC series has been a bit hit and miss.

Popular and profitable enough that they can power through the misses and correct the flaws for the next round.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Really it's just inevitable that with the pace they were setting and the multiple teams working on multiple games at once and the need to periodically shake up the mechanics that the AC series has been a bit hit and miss.

Popular and profitable enough that they can power through the misses and correct the flaws for the next round.

I just can't help myself with the AC series, unfortunately. I love the games and I love the Forrest Gump-esque fuckery with history.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If it's the Trojan War then it'd be a prequel to Origins. Trojan War maybe around 1200-1000 BCE? And Origins was the first century BCE. Edit: But I guess that's what you're saying by leaving historicity.

AC Odyssey is a great name though and makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm not entirely convinced by early ship stuff. Black Flag's was good but sold on the pirate theme as much as anything else for me, Rogue's wasn't nearly so interesting. The ship stuff in Origins was just annoying and boring, although that might have as much to do with the fact that it was the occasional interruption of the best bits of the game rather than a fully fledged mechanic.